Code of Conduct

Default Issey Miyake Bleue ??!!

This has got to be the most "out there" mainstream fragrance I've ever smelled. *First it smells weirdly medicinal, then vaguely vegetable-like, finally drying down to a fairly pleasant scent that reminds me of a subdued L'Artisan Timbuktu. *

I really don't know what to make of this one. *What do I do with it?

Wear it?

Snort it for posible psychedelic properties?

Donate it to science?

Put it in a ring with a bottle of Kouros for an Extreme Fragrance Elimination Challenge?

Please advise!

Default Re: Issey Miyake Bleue ??!!

Sounds like a good gym/hiking/sweating frag.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Save it for spring/summer. It seems suited for outdoors due to its potency and herbal-vegetal note.

Judging from the sharp ammonia quality, I suggest you use it to clean floors.

Preferably in other people's houses.

Especially if you hate them.

Maybe it's just my skin, though. I mean, it smelled nice enough on a card...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    This has got to be the most "out there" mainstream fragrance I've ever smelled. *First it smells weirdly medicinal, then vaguely vegetable-like, finally drying down to a fairly pleasant scent that reminds me of a subdued L'Artisan Timbuktu. *

Personally I like the fragrance very much--I tend to like strong aromatic top notes and this one is a little different because of the touch of wood in there. That vegetable thing in the mid notes, I think, is the nasturtium--a flower whose blossoms and leaves are often used in salads and whose seed pods can be used like capers. The blossoms are clean smelling but a little on the stinky side so it's a rather daring note to include in a fragrance. I love wood dry downs and this one is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo

Strange, I thought it smelled repulsive on a card, but I accidentally got some on my skin and it smelled amazing. One of my favorites.

Oh I love it. But Issey Miyake could bottle Eau de Poop and I would probably buy it. Even though I was very disappointed in last year's summer scent, I have loved everything else by Issey Miyake, including Bleue. It's a very sexy scent.

So to answer your initial question, wear it!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Miyake is a pretty complex fragrance. Here's the pyramid from OsMoz:

Top note :
    Mandarin Orange Wood, Rosemary, Citronella, Badian, Elemi*

Middle note :
    May Rose, Palmarosa, Nasturtium, Ginger, Pepper*

Base note :
    Mosses, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Ambrette*

I really like this one much better than the aquatic original. It's fresh and spicy and woody all at once. I think I would prefer it as an evening scent because of the woods, mosses, and patchouli in the base, but it's probably fresh enough for daytime wear as well.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo

LOL

It`s a great summer fragrance. I like it a lot. It`s like more gentle, more complex version of Chrome. To me it`s all about grass, green leaves, and soft, full-bodied woodiness.
    Masculine, long-lasting, and IMO most definetely the very best Miyake fragrance.

JaimeB- Citronella... that's it! A cologne and an insect repellent all in one!
    Pigeon- "more gentle" just does not seem to apply to this potent juice!

L'Eau Bleue absolutely rocks!!!

Getting past the initial yuck! is the whole point of the fragrance. Within a few short seconds, EBdI morphs into a fragrance trail that your surroundings will not easily forget.

In fact, EBdI is one of the uniquest fragrances to come along in years. Try the Shaving Oil and Shower Gel for a real treat. The Deodorant Stick is very, very effective.

Worn in Rome last summer and even in the stinking 95ºF+ heat, it never ever let me down. I plan on repurchasing it this summer but have heard that a lighter/reformulated version will be issued very shortly.

EB embodies Provence, redolent of rosemary, patchouli, lavendar and May rose. Granted, it's not for the faint of heart and certainly not mainstream, but once you get past the initial smell which - granted - can be difficult, the scent changes dramatically and quickly into a rewarding herbal elixir that is well, well worth trying.

Added bonus:It has no specific Head-Heart-Basenote structure but spirals up and down into fragrance nirvana.

Another authentic yet much cast-aside gem.

It is rather on the robust side, isn't it? I don't usually sample many men's fragrances (except when shopping for intent for my significant other), but this happened purely by accident - I was browsing in the local perfume apothecary after work, and there was a shattered tester of IMB lying on the floor. I quickly caught the sharp smell of vegetation (nasturtium?), [smiley=huh.gif] though, even before I noticed the broken bottle. It repulsed and intrigued me at the same time. I reached down and blotted some onto my fingers, then onto a wrist.

My initial reaction was similar to the first time I cracked open my bottle of Yatagan: overwhelming. Or, the first time I sampled Diptyque's L'Ombre dan L'Eau: green vegetable overload. While I didn't care for either of those at first sniff, after the complete dry down, the longer I wore them, the more they grew on me. Today those two are both in my top ten.

While I wouldn't justify a purchase of Issey Bleue for myself, I do, on occasion, spritz some on wrist whenever I pass through the Men's Fragrance Dept in Marshall Field's. I don't know what the compulsion is, but sometimes I am just in the mood for it. As with Yatagan, I own it, but don't wear it often. You definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to wear certain scents.
    I'd put the Bleue aside until at least mid spring, then wear it out on the first warm day. I find that one can make sounder fragrance decisions when the weather is a bit more cooperative.

makes me ill and gives me a headache
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

I really like this one, very herbal and fresh and dry. Makes me think of New West. I don't have that one anymore, but I remember it for having a strong, cactuslike note. Very original too, released in a time were sweet, gourmand type fragrances are sold everywere. At the same time, I understand why some don't like this. It's a love or hate it scent, very much like the original Issey.

I sampled L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Miyake at Fields again on Friday evening on my way home. Walked around the store, sampled it again, and decided I just had to have it. It's the final dry down that sold me, Dennis. Very fresh, forest, evergreen. Reminded me of the trip to Colorado I always wanted to take but never got around to. Some sites have described it as a water-inspired fragrance. I'm not getting water - just earth, green & forest.

Of course, I left it out on the dressing table & my boyfriend tried it out for himself. I like it on him, but I like it better on me. Not for every man, certainly not for every woman, but natural & distinct on the person with the right body chemistry. Once you get past that initial blast & the vegetation, it anchors down into a lovely scent.