Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance free zone

What do you guys think of this? :-?

http://www.nontoxic.com/nontoxic/fra...freeupdate.htm

Will it ever come so far that a fragnance will be as frowned upon as smoking?

Default Re: Fragrance free zone

I wouldn't smoke during a board meeting any more than I would wear 6 squirts of A*Men. There certainly are times and places to leave the frags at home.
    -Airplane rides
    -Hospitals
    -Clinics or facilities serving people with sensitivities
    -Around animals (zoo, vet, stables)
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

It's a little over-the-top to make something into a law, at least IMO. And how would you enforce that? "Sir, can I sniff your chest please?" I usually either don't wear a frag or go very lightly when traveling on a plane (then again, I may rethink this considering the BO and people-stink that overtakes a plane on a cross-country flight - I'd rather smell AdG, or even Kouros, than that).

Around animals, I have never noticed a "problem," not sure where that's coming from. Sure they sense more smells than we do, but that also means we always have a scent, even if we don't try (e.g., laundry detergent, fabric softener, deodorant, would all be very noticeable by animals). I think this is all another example/more proof of the theory that scent is frowned upon in our culture, as being inferior or more base/animalic than the other, "nobler" senses.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    It's a little over-the-top to make something into a law, at least IMO. *And how would you enforce that? *"Sir, can I sniff your chest please?" *I usually either don't wear a frag or go very lightly when traveling on a plane (then again, I may rethink this considering the BO and people-stink that overtakes a plane on a cross-country flight - I'd rather smell AdG, or even Kouros, than that). *

Around animals, I have never noticed a "problem," not sure where that's coming from. *Sure they sense more smells than we do, but that also means we always have a scent, even if we don't try (e.g., laundry detergent, fabric softener, deodorant, would all be very noticeable by animals). *I think this is all another example/more proof of the theory that scent is frowned upon in our culture, as being inferior or more base/animalic than the other, "nobler" senses. *

I have to agree. It is a little rediculous to want to enforce such a thing. It just makes no sence and I think that it should never happen. Who really cares THAT much!!??

I don't think that there should be a law against fragrances, but I do think there are common-sense situations where they are not appropriate.

Facilities should be able to dictate local policies, though. I'm thinking of something akin to the signs you see like "Firearms are banned within these premises."

I can understand how it must feel to have unpleasant reactions to other people's perfume while being able to do nothing about it.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Sometimes I get the impression that at least some of the people who do this are of the "I am soooo much more delicate than you" variety. I mean, I'm allergic to cats. Like, I can't be in the room with little Fluffy and breathe without a Ventonol inhaler. However, that does not mean that I cannot be in the same room with a cat owner. I can believe that there are people who are allergic, but I can't believe that the 2 spritzes on Hadrien that I applied under my t-shirt, polo and sweater is going to cause anaphylactic shock. When the cologne goes, then the fabric softener does, the deoderant, the shampoo, any hair products, the cleaning products used by the maintenance staff, the VOC's from the carpets, the toner from the printer...

The Jury is still out on the science behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by tmp
    Sometimes I get the impression that at least some of the people who do this are of the "I am soooo much more delicate than you" variety. I mean, I'm allergic to cats. Like, I can't be in the room with little Fluffy and breathe without a Ventonol inhaler. However, that does not mean that I cannot be in the same room with a cat owner. I can believe that there are people who are allergic, but I can't believe that the 2 spritzes on Hadrien that I applied under my t-shirt, polo and sweater is going to cause anaphylactic shock. When the cologne goes, then the fabric softener does, the deoderant, the shampoo, any hair products, the cleaning products used by the maintenance staff, the VOC's from the carpets, the toner from the printer...

The Jury is still out on the science behind this.
    You'd be amazed how sensitive some people can be to certain molecules. I'll never forget the time I was playing a game of poker and a kid near me was eating some snack mix, which contained peanuts. Another kid was allergic to peanuts, but only a few of us knew and nobody really thought about the snack mix containing peanuts. About an hour and a half into the game, the kid who was allergic to the peanuts started complaining that his hands were itchy. Within a few minutes, he was breaking out in hives and having problems breathing. I had the fun experience of getting to administer his Epi-Pen. The ambulance came, but he was well enough that he didn't have to go to the hospital. Apparently just the oil from the peanuts getting on the cards was enough to trigger a reaction. I used to just think the kid was a hypochondriac, and I would have never thought that such a miniscule amount could trigger a full-on reaction. It only takes a few molecules, much the same way it only takes a few virii to infect someone.

Honestly, I think those people need to just die. Seriously, if a common chemical is THAT dangerous to you, you're clearly not fit to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    I wouldn't smoke during a board meeting any more than I would wear 6 squirts of A*Men. There certainly are times and places to leave the frags at home.
    -Airplane rides
    -Hospitals
    -Clinics or facilities serving people with sensitivities
    -Around animals (zoo, vet, stables)
    Quite frankly, when you have to travel for 24 hours in a plane trip from Australia to Europe, you wind up wishing that the wearing of scents was made compulsory.
    Renato

When flying from Europe to Australia however, there are no smells

I understand that people have trouble with it, but then again, maybe they're offended by my clothes also. Or maybe because I wear leather shoes they're offended.
    Is it intolerant to say that the world has become intolerant?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman
    I'll never forget the time I was playing a game of poker and a kid near me was eating some snack mix, which contained peanuts.
    Peanut allergies are documented and life threatening, MCS isn't.