Code of Conduct

Default How *original* is L'Artisan Dzing!?

I am thinking of buying this one blind.

Like everyone I guess, I am striving to stand out from the madding crowd and do not want a derivative scent that converges on the same composition as 101 other fragrances these days. There is nothing worse than walking into a shopping centre and being hit by a wall of Cool Water, Hugo and L'eau D'Issey pour homme --------> nauseating! >

So how INNOVATIVE is Dzing!?

Default Re: How *original* is L'Artisan Dzing!?

I've only smelt Dzing and find it to be nice, but a lot of people compare it to Bulgari Black which I haven't tested yet so I wouldn't know, so it might not be as original as you want it to be.

Actually, Dzing! smells like Joop. I would not say Dzing! is original, the circus story makes a good marketing tool though. ;D
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Actually, Dzing! smells like Joop. I would not say Dzing! is original, the circus story makes a good marketing tool though. ;D
    Smells nothing like Joop! to me. The only thing Joop! and Dzing! have in common is the ! at the end. It is somewhat like Bulgari Black but much more complicated. I think this is very original.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    Smells nothing like Joop! to me. The only thing Joop! and Dzing! have in common is the ! at the end. *It is somewhat like Bulgari Black but much more complicated. *I think this is very original.
    Ditto, and less synthetic.

Dzing! similar to Joop!?! You people have some interesting opinions...

To me Dzing! is all about marketing fragrance. That circus image is well succeeded, and it appeals people, who are looking for something different, animalistic and even a bit "childish".

If Dzing! didn`t have that clever circus image behind it, the scent would be totally a different story. I think it wouldn`t be nearly as popular as it is today.

The scent itself is personable, but not very unique or animalistic. If you didn`t have the offered vision of circus, I swear you wouldn`t think of it either in this case.
    Or, do you think circus has soft, natural leather scent on the top of half-sweet woodyness, which is like some weak vanilla-insence stick dipped in a water.

We all have our own opinions, but when I go to circus, and walk through the yard where all the animals are, I clearly think of something between Fahrenheit and Kouros.

This is an interesting thread. I'm not sure that I would totally agree that Dzing! is all marketing, though that certainly comes into play. Before I knew that it was supposed to have a circus theme, I tested it and thought it was kind of smelly, like a slight animal smell, but not a pleasant musk smell, more like a soiled cage stink, but very subtle, not overwhelming. I get that smell with some candied note on top. A lot of reviews call it honey, but I get something more like candy, sweet but without the biting character of honey. As Dzing! dries down I think it loses a lot of its distinctive character and gets fairly boring, overly sweet, and too soft, IMO.

Dzing!, smells like Dzing!, in my neck of the woods.

Dzing! is awesome and the circus, marketing crap in general had nothing to with why I bought it. I got a sample and loved it. Nothing else like it. I think of nothing but the fragrance itself and how good it is. It's anything but childish. It's cerebral and wonderful. As Luca Turin said, "Weird. A must have." Damn straight.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.

I like to think of Dzing! as a piece of art, where the concept, and the ideas and visions behind the scent is as important as the juice itself.
    I find it very original indeed.
    It is a well crafted, rather complex scent.

I would say it is a safe blind buy. You might not want to wear it on an everyday basis, but it is a true treasure to bring out from your collection every once in a while.
    Arte et labore

Circus or no circus, I think Dzing! is pretty original. It's a sweet but not overpowering leather with clean, woody notes (sawdust-ish) and a tonka/musk base. Oriental, but not heavy. And there's no clown in sight.

it's true that I might never have sampled Dzing had I not been curious as to how 'circus' translates to a wearable fragrance, but it was the smell that compelled me to purchase a bottle
    (i don't find it very similar to Bvlgari Black, and certainly not Joop!)
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

In my view Dzing! is just another overrated L'Artisan. The opening is sure unique and interesting, but as mentioned above, it dries down to sweet scent without that distinct character.

For me DZING is a gem, it's absolutely unique and when asked about best and personal favourite L'Artisan, I will always reply: DZING! The diffrence between Bulgari Black and DZING is too big IMO. You will always be able to differ them at any time. They smell completely different, but all leather scents smell leathery. It's that simple.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

This is to absolutely best leather I've smelled (have not even nearly smelled them all of course), at least when it comes to a very good rendition of what leather smells like to me + a LOT of other goodies hidden within. A true gem indeed.

With Dzing! it was love at first sniff and the more I wear it, the more I love it. I had no idea about the circus theme when I first tried it and to me it smells more like a draughty attic than circus tent: a bit musty and mouldy. I smell sawdust, smooth leather, even fur, and animalic notes. To me Dzing! has a feel of curling up with cats in bed.

Despite having some resemblance with Bulgari Black (which I also love) I think Dzing! is very original.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    To me Dzing! has a feel of curling up with cats in bed.
    Perfect description, at least of the drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    Despite having some resemblance with Bulgari Black (which I also love) I think Dzing! is very original.
    I've never felt this myself, until one day this week actually, when I wore Black at work and only once (!) caught a small sniff of something that I associated with Dzing! Just a whiff and then it was gone, like a ghost...

I think it is a fantastic scent and very comfortable. Something about it is very familiar, because it feels so comfortable, so maybe it will indeed remind you of something else and thus feel not quite original. If I were to go on at length about it I would mention its sandalwood like a part of Fahrenheit, and its leather that is more like hide than the tamed tooled and cured stuff we usually get for leather.

A better smeller and scent thinker than I am once mentioned to me that Dzing! might recall the thicker concentrations of Guerlain's Shalimar. Sometimes when I smell Shalimar I see the parts of it he meant. Othertimes I don't.

It will be good for you to smell it yourself and see if its originality fits you.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

The only thing Joop! and Dzing! have in common is the ! at the end.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have to agree with everyone who emphasized the comfy aspect; Dzing! is very original, but even more so, it´s so damn pleasant.

Hmm, now I feel like ordering a bottle for me. I think I previously descided to remain a distant admiror of this one for some time.

It may be confusing to you but most things will be with different opinions. As I'm reading all these replys, I'm getting confused but then I think and I'm riding with the views that match what I thought when I used my dzing samples. Now let me say that its different overall. I'm gettin ready to purchase a new bottle of this juice because like most say "it will grow on you".

Inspired by this thread I sampled Dzing! once again this evening. My opinion remains stable: Ridicilous drydown
    after the initial leather burst. So weak and worthless.
    Maybe it`s my personal skin issue, but I really HATE this fragrance after 1.5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Dzing! similar to Joop!?! You people have some interesting opinions...

To me Dzing! is all about marketing fragrance. That circus image is well succeeded, and it appeals people, who are looking for something different, animalistic and even a bit "childish".

Childish?? Great point! Nothing reminds me of the innocence childhood more than than the fond memories of whistful winter mornings where my mates and I would run in to drink hot cocoa smelling of amber, sawdust, and leather after a day of playing. Childish would be the last thing that comes to mind when I think of this scent. In addition, as you're using your mind control arguement, how many people here have referenced the circus? Speaking for myself, it's kind of hard to be swayed by marketing when your first samples are from an unmarked decant bottle. I'll vehemently disagree with your contention of the advertising genious behind L'artisan.....some people might like it because they think it's unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    [quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1143154046/0#5 date=1143162407]Dzing! similar to Joop!?! You people have some interesting opinions...

Childish?? Great point! Nothing reminds me of the innocence childhood more than than the fond memories of whistful winter mornings where my mates and I would run in to drink hot cocoa smelling of amber, sawdust, and leather after a day of playing. Childish would be the last thing that comes to mind when I think of this scent. In addition, as you're using your mind control arguement, how many people here have referenced the circus? Speaking for myself, it's kind of hard to be swayed by marketing when your first samples are from an unmarked decant bottle. I'll vehemently disagree with your contention of the advertising genious behind L'artisan.....some people might like it because they think it's unique. [/quote]

To me circus is very much the children`s thing. Well, at least for me: I haven`t been to circus show since I was 12 or 13 years old. When I said "childish", I meant the possible nostalgia. Again, maybe it`s just me, but I`m always willing to catch the feelings coming from my past, anytime it`s possible. And so, what I meant was that if you`ve had some memorable experiences in the circus when you were a child, then perhaps you`ve like to travel there again through this scent. Am I comprehendable?

Ah, to each his own.

But tell me if I`m wrong: I swear the C. Robertson`s hyperbolic colomn caused a rise of Dzing`s reputation...And in his fine story there was circus very much up for discussion.

I don't the article you're talking about so I can't agree or disagree there. *Speaking for myself though, and other people like Dust_B and Tigs amongst others, most of us have been wearing it for years now and I don't think that a nostalgic nod to the circus (seeing I've never been to one myself) has ever come into play. *I can't speak for others though who are in the latest wave of people who like it. * Is the article you're referencing on this site? As for the marketing aspect of it, if a 1cm tall mini-icon on the box/bottle is enough to cause throngs of people to wear it, the people who designed that label should be the most in demand people the advertising world has ever seen.