Code of Conduct

Thread: Amouage?

Default Amouage?

Can anyone tell me kind of frags Amouage produces? I see over at parfumsraffy.com that Amouage Dia is a top seller, but I've never heard of it (and it is ridiculously expensive). From what I understand, Amouage scents are made by Guy Robert from Chanel, but I wonder if the frags bear any resemblance.

I'm just curious about this house that I've heard nothing about

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Default Re: Amouage?

GHOD, Amouage fragrances have been discussed extensively on this board. Do a search and you'll find a wealth of information.

Here's the common consensus:

Gold: Johnson's Baby Power

Silver Crystal: Probably the best, unbelievably powerful and I think recently discontinued?

Dia & Ciel: Beautiful, medium to poor duration and very expensive.

There's also a new one out that I'm not familiar with but has also been discussed a lot recently. Seems to me it was their "Cool Water" attempt.

"Silver: Probably the best, unbelievably powerful and I think recently discontinued?"

Hi Ballardbeau , Silver is still available, I can get that from my distributor any time for my store. I opted to carry the Gold

"There's also a new one out that I'm not familiar with but has also been discussed a lot recently. Seems to me it was their "Cool Water" attempt. "

I think you are referring to Arcus.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Vijay...Are you referring to Silver Cristal or Silver Cologne?

My bad - Bob and Dave,

I was referring to Silver cologne and Dave was talking about Silver Crystal. I have had a long day am really tired, sorry about the goof :'(.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I was not impressed by the samples. I recall Amouage Gold being just like baby powder just like ballardbeau said. I'd wear Lagerfeld Classic or Royal Copenhagen if I wanted that experience for a heck of a lot cheaper.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Ben:
    Do the searches here and also check out the Amouage website. You can try emailing Amouage directly and ask the for samples. It worked for me. You can also buy samples from places like perfumebay.
    I love Gold, Ciel and Dia in that order. Silver smelled horrible to me.
    It is always best to try things on yourself. Have fun and enjoy!
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I love getting my head filled with useful information ;D
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The Amouage scents are fairly complex, and all have some frankincense in the base. Most of them also have rockrose (or gum cistus, or labdanum), which is the base of many amber scents. They are also fairly floral for men's fragrances. (Though the complexity masks this to a degree.)

On the whole, I would say they are elegant, oriental, rich. And expensive. Guy Robert developed them for Amouage, which is a company based in the Sultanate of Oman, in the Arabian peninsula. They obviously reflect an Arabian idea of what is elegant on a man; that's rather different in some ways from our usual Eurocentric conceptions. Exotic, yet strangely familiar.

Johnson's baby powder, btw, is largely scented with Siam benzoin, an incense resin which is not too much like the frankincense that the Amouage collection all have in common. That said, some of the Amouage line do have benzoin in the base.

My impression: I like them. I own Dia and Gold for Men, and Silver Cologne for Men (which has a prominent rose note).

Definitely worth a sniff. Nordstrom has them in San Francisco. Is there a Nordstrom near you? You'd better like them a lot to shell out between $150-265 per 50 ml. bottle, though!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I love Dia myself, on the very top of my all time favorites for all its superficial, sentimental, and emotional reasons.

You also might want to search out Amouage's attars, Andalus might be to your liking, very reminiscent of Chanel's Egoiste Platinum.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Sent you a PM greyhueofdoubt
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

In case you didn't see, you can purchase samples of Amouage scents at parfumsraffy. I have only tried Dia and Arcus. Dia is a very nuanced oriental that I think smells great (I do not agree that it is poor lasting, it has good albeit subtle lasting power but subtle is good for this kind of scent) and Arcus is very 'realistic' smelling aqua/ocean type smell that I think is very good. Cheers.