Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Four Ambers... Which do you like best?

What are the nuances you see here? Please describe the differences you see among them...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: Four Ambers... Which do you like best?

Ambre Sultan is the best one IMO.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Etro Ambra is for when you want your amber soft and whisper-y and Ambre Sultan is for when you want it to kick some ass ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Gotta love the L'Artisan...

I've only tried the L'Artisan and the one from MPG here... I'm not sure I'm friends with amber scents just yet. There is something in them I love to sniff, but I am not tough enough to wear them. In time...

IMO, SL Ambre Sultan seems the most refined, the most beautiful, and the longest lasting

I never thought I'd really like Amber that much, but Ambre Sultan really opened my eyes: the first hit of Coriander and Myrtle are a bit shocking, but the Amber drydown is delicious- it smells like a day in the sun.

Why So Serious?

As far as L'artisan goes the Ambre Extreme is much better, but i like the MPG, there's something really dirty about it and i like dirtiness.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I have recently become a major fan of ambre scents. My first ambre was Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan and I guess it is still my favorite although Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur is rapidly catching up to it in my rotation. The Lutens is a dry ambre on me while the L'Artisan seems to be sweeter and a bit powdery. I just received my bottle of Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier this week so I'm reluctant to say much about it yet. I will say that I like it a lot but I need to test it some more before deciding how it compares to the other two.

Ambre Sultan got my vote but I love them all.

Etro is the sweetest, MPG the most elegant, L'Artisan the most everyday and SL the most magnifiscent!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I'll give you another option. Ambre by Madini. Although its alot cheaper than the ones you listed, it smells just as expensive IMO. Its a very deep and smoky amber that gets better and better as it dries down. Also, it lasts forever, you almost have to wash it off! I highly recommend at least getting a sample.

Another excellent amber based fragrance is L'air du desert marocain. It starts out very spicy but dries down to a nice, smooth finish dominated by amber.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Ambre Sultan that I like.
    Indeed it`s the only amber fragrance I can wear from the list.
    Spices (oregano, coriander) are made for making that amber vivid and hot, also taking off the sweetness.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I haven't tried the MPG, but I like all the other three.

L'Eau d'Ambre is airy and light for an amber and easy to wear with a burnt sugar note in the base. Very nice.

Etro ambra is..well...your basic amber in my opinion. I like it a lot.

Ambre Sultan. My favourite of the lot. Not as sweet as the other and with a strong oregano note (or maybe it's coriander and myrtle. Smells like pizza anyway) in the top. Forcefully strong and pleasantly animalic.

The MPG is the best from the list IMO. Even better is L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme: a bit heavier than (the well-made) L'Eau d'Ambre, but with a softer drydown and a bit more wearable.

What about Ambre Narguile???
    I think it's the best.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Ambre Narguile is in the Hermessence series? I think they're $160 a bottle, aren't they? The ones I've tried haven't been particularly lasting, either. What are other people's experiences with these?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Even better is L'Artisan's Ambre Extreme: a bit heavier than (the well-made) L'Eau d'Ambre, but with a softer drydown and a bit more wearable.
    The same opinion

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    Ambre Narguile is in the Hermessence series? I think they're $160 a bottle, aren't they? The ones I've tried haven't been particularly lasting, either. What are other people's experiences with these?

I buy the Hermessence travel kit (90 €): 4x15ml (Vtonka, Ambre Narguilé, Rose, Poivre, but not Osmanthe Yunnan). In my opinion Ambre Narguilé is the best of the collection

Another excellent amber based fragrance is L'air du desert marocain. It starts out very spicy but dries down to a nice, smooth finish dominated by amber.
    I'm in total agreement....... *Already stocked up with two decants of this fine creation.....

.........Don't know ETRO's, *but Precieux is powdery with a selection of woods, not very spicy or heavy. *A Decadent work of art. * L'Artisan's is spicier and sweeter with vanilla. *Good stuff.........

Sultan is heavier with noticeable amounts of wood, resins and spices. *Virile down to the wire.
    Ambre Extreme is nice........AP is amazing........Sultan is MAGIC............

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanks for all your input, guys.

Today, I went around sniffing. I applied some of a sample of Ambre Sultan I got from Aedes, checked out L'Artisan's Eau d'Ambre and Ambre Extrême. I had checked out the MPG Ambre Précieux and Etro Ambra earlier, as well as Hermès Ambre Narguile last week.

I ended up getting the L'Artisan's Ambre Extrême. I like the EdP strength and lasting power, and it is a very pleasant and masculine kind of amber, I think. I will probably get around to the Serge Lutens and the Ambre Narguile later. Thanks again for all the suggestions...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    Thanks for all your input, guys.

I ended up getting the L'Artisan's Ambre Extrême. I like the EdP strength and lasting power, and it is a very pleasant and masculine kind of amber, I think.
    Good Choice!