Code of Conduct

Default What "niche" stuff to test?? Your Favorites...

I need some help from you know-it-all folks. I say that only out of respect for your knowledge... ;D

I am going to home to NY and I'll get going to the city and more importantly Aedes and maybe Barneys.

Well I was wondering what you thought were the best picks for me to get samples of when I go. The houses

inclue that of:

Diptyque
    Etro
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    MPG
    Miller Harris
    SMN
    Serge Leutens
    CDG
    Frederick Malle

any other suggestions from the top of your head would be appreciated. I am going this weekend so you have plenty of time. I am expecting a lot of results. I know you all know plenty from reading your posts. I want to get to know some of your favorites. List me some from those houses... Thanks!!

Default Re: What "niche" stuff to test?? Your Favorites...

I'm afraid that the only one of those houses that I can comment on is CDG's Sequoia, which I liked.

Well, if you are going to sample things no matter what, and you want my advice on where to go.... It would be awesome if you could sample some of CDG's more out-there frags, such as the 'synthetic' line of frags. There's just something so weird and refreshing and appealing about CDG's entire line.
    Who else would have thought of using 'photocopy toner' and 'dust on a lightbulb' as notes?!

I can't wait to hear your impressions.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Be sure to stop by Barneys and sample Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle.

Why So Serious?

Diptyque - Tam Dao, Philosykos, Opone
    Etro - Sandalo, Messe de Minuit
    Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo, Yerbamate, (i'm not a fan of Piper Nigrum, but you should still try it)
    MPG - Santal Noble, Amber Precieux, Garrique, Iris Bleu Gris
    Miller Harris - Feuilles de Tabac
    CDG - 2 Man, original EDP, 2, whole Insense line, the Odeurs
    Frederick Malle - VE, MR, Bigarade, Une Rose
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Puredistance M
    3. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    4. Guerlain Coriolan
    5. BPC Oud

Decants for swap: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/403...mples-for-Swap

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX
    Diptyque - *Tam Dao, Philosykos, Opone
    Etro *- Sandalo, Messe de Minuit
    Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo, Yerbamate, (i'm not a fan of Piper Nigrum, but you should still try it)
    MPG - Santal Noble, Amber Precieux, Garrique, Iris Bleu Gris
    Miller Harris - Feuilles de Tabac
    CDG - 2 Man, original EDP, 2, whole Insense line, the Odeurs
    Frederick Malle - VE, MR, Bigarade, Une Rose

Woahh, That is perfect. Just the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks HackerX!!

I am still taking suggestions!!!

PS~ as for the CDG, I will try Seqoya. I want to try the whole inscense series... and Musc Ravageur I hear is amazing so I will deffinately try that one out. Thanks for the suggestions...

Villoresi:
    Piper Nigrum - awesome pepper and spice that settles down to a warm spicy scent
    Musk - one of the most dynamic scents I've tried, goes from rough, to something like VdR, to almost ambery at the very end
    Uomo - very nice herbal scent with a touch of citrus, doesn't last long on me though
    Dilmun - I really like this one; orange blossom moving to warmer woods

Malle:
    Musc Ravageur - one of my faves; incredibly rich, warm, somewhat sweet but not too sweet, creamy musk, vanilla, and cinnamon
    Cologne Bigarade - very nice citrus start, sadly, it lasts like 12 minutes

Lutens:
    Ambre Sultan - very unique amber and spice, dark, sexy, long-lasting
    Arabie - I think this one smells like tea and spices and dried figs or dates

MPG:
    Garrigue - my favorite from MPG thus far, dry lavender and herb scent that warms up considerably as it dries down, there seems to be some vanilla that pulls it together as it dries
    Iris Bleu Gris - very raw iris scent, dry, earthy, not sweet, somehow still smooth
    Santal Noble - woods and spice with strong amber note, smooth, long-lasting
    Amber Precieux - amber scent with some woods, lasts forever, raw sort of amber
    Centaur - an odd scent that seems to fight with itself, there is a warmth there and also a screaming herbal note (maybe lavender?); I like it but it's unusual

Miller Harris:
    I've liked all three I've tried - Feuilles de Tabac, Tangerine Vert, and Terre de Bois - my second favorite tobacco scent, and one of my favorite citrus scents

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I need some help from you know-it-all folks. I say that only out of respect for your knowledge... ;D

I am going to home to NY and I'll get going to the city and more importantly Aedes and maybe Barneys.

Well I was wondering what you thought were the best picks for me to get samples of when I go. The houses

inclue that of:

Diptyque
    Etro
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    MPG
    Miller Harris
    SMN
    Serge Leutens
    CDG
    Frederick Malle

any other suggestions from the top of your head would be appreciated. I am going this weekend so you have plenty of time. I am expecting a lot of results. I know you all know plenty from reading your posts. I want to get to know some of your favorites. List me some from those houses... Thanks!!
    Robyogi gave you some ace advice, check out those!

But also definitely check out the following:

If you go Diptyque, don't overlook Ofrésia, a freesia and pepper scent... sexy, not overly flowery, cuz the pepper spices it up.

From Etro, Shaal Nur is a woody oriental worth looking into; also smell Royal Pavilion, a green floral that is meant to be unisex and works fine on my skin. Palais Jamais is also nice, but a little smoky in the drydown.

From Villoresi, my fave is Incensi, sour apple and a mix of incenses. Sound weird? It works like you wouldn't believe!

MPG's Route du Vétiver is a scary ride; the earthy, wet roots put a lot of people off, but it's a little dirty and the drydown is way cool.

From Serge Lutens, Daim Blond is a soft suede/leather scent that's pretty voluptuous. Santal Blanc is an earthy start with a kind of green sandalwood drydown.

CDG, any of the Series 3, all oriental or woody-oriental. Kyoto is my favorite; Ouarzazate is a spicy/peppery/woody desert scent based on Moroccan market smells, another take on the Lutens Chergui concept.

Happy sniffing!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Lutens: Chergui if you haven't tried it yet. Daim Blond

Etro: Messe de Minuit has to be experienced at least once. I also like the leathery Gomma.

SMN: Peau d'Espagne. It's like a tanning factory. Only for the headstrong.

Malle: Musc Rava of course. L'Eau d'Hiver. It's like icy flowers dipped in honey.

Diptyque: L'Ombre dans L'Eau. Crushed black currant leaves, earth and roses.

Why not head out to Brooklyn and visit the CB I Hate Perfume shop? I can't recommend any of his scents yet though, but maybe in a few weeks. I'm sending a friend of mine who lives there to purchase some samples for me (he doesn't do international shipping on samples yet..). Go go go!

Diptyque: Philosykos, Tam Dao
    Etro: Messe de Minuit
    Lorenzo Villoresi: Musk, Uomo, Dilmun, Yerbamate, Vetiver
    MPG: Racine, Santal Noble, Ambre Précieux, Eau des Îles, Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme, Route du Vétiver
    Miller Harris: haven't tried any >.<
    SMN: Nostalgia
    Serge Lutens: Chergui, Daim Blond, Fumerie Turque, Muscs Koublaï Khän
    CDG: Odeur 53, Avignon, Zagorsk, Comme des Garçons 2, Palisander, Skai
    Frederick Malle: Musc Ravageur, L'Eau d'Hiver, Vétiver Extraordinaire
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Diptyque - Philosykos, Tam Dao, L'Ombre dans L'Eau
    Etro - Heliotrope, Messe de Minuit, Patchouli
    Lorenzo Villoresi - Incensi, Yerbamate, Musk
    MPG - no comment, they all suck IMHO
    Miller Harris - Citron Citron
    SMN - Nostalgia, Musk, Gold Musk, Acqua di Cuba, Spanish Leather
    Serge Leutens - Ambre Sultan
    CDG - Soda from synthetic series, all of the red series
    Frederick Malle - no comment

Good Luck
    MMM

YAYYY!!! only a couple more days until I go and then I'll have to figure out when I actually go. Thank you all for the responses. I will make sure I try them all and try to get lots of samples. ;D

Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Diptyque Eau Lente and Eau D'Elide
    Serge Lutens Noir Epices and Chene

I've got and love several from a few of the houses you ask about but I'm going to list the ones I think really show something different in scent but still really work well for functional wearing.

Diptyque's Tam Dao. One might need to live in this one a few days, but there is so much hidden in it. That's pretty much the rule with Diptyques though, JaimeB's rec on Ofresia is a really good one, but Diptyque is a house that is master of rose, so sniff Opone and L'Ombre dans l'Eau for sample use of that note.

Etro doesn't belong up here with the other recent houses, so I'd say you can spend your sniffing time better by hitting other houses. Etro makes nice stuff, and has fans for certain, but nothing, even Vetiver and Messe de Minuit, has really kicked my nose. Try other stuff.

I think the LV best at perfume transportation is Sandalo. Otherwise I love the comment by old board member Mike C's wife that LVs smell less like fragrances and more like fragrance ingredients. I dislike Piper Nigrum, but like Spezie and Vetiver and Garofano from the house. Incensi is very nice too, but in a way I like but get tired of. Spezie and Sandalo I don't get tired of.

MPG you've read enough about on this board to know already which ones you want to sniff. Here's what's new in my comment: smell Route du Vetiver and Iris Bleu Gris. Those are the two that don't seem to be stuck in the MPG mold, or else, hell, they create the MPG mold best. And they just kick ass.

SMN doesn't do much for me. See my Etro comments.

Miller Harris makes Feuilles de Tabac, which is the only one from the house that keeps me going back. I've forgotten all the others. You don't need to buy FdT, because if you do you might get tired of it because of its perfection. I kinda think I have. But it's a beautiful and masterful ride that keeps you smelling the skin where you've sprayed your test spray.

Serge Lutens stuff has to be experienced, no doubt. But you kind of get the point after smelling five or six. The problem and the delight of the house is that the line of scents, as well as each scent, is an embarrassment of riches. So you'll get the point after smelling five or six. Of those dig that uber-wildness of Arabie! Far out! And Vetiver Oriental. Great stuff that can be indulged in and lived in to boot. Damn Blonde and Chergui are nice but not my thing. I kept sniffing them hoping they'd light my nose fire but they didn't.

From CdG I'd say the incense line and Odeur 53 are their best executed ideas. They make lots of stuff that smells great but as ideas put into fragrance, those are the best. I think people will be talking about these scents after we're dead.

Smell all the Frederick Malles you can just to know what people are talking about. I was sadly disappointed by Vetiver Extraordinaire but I really liked Musc Ravageur and Noir Epice, and I've no doubt misspelled those. They're great scents if you like 'em, but more to talk about than to live for me.

I know the whole journey will be well spent by you, and that you've got the thoughts and background in sniffing to make every sniff worthwhile. No matter what you smell you'll have a party, Envyus.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.