Code of Conduct

Default Greyland (Montale)

Hi guys,

I'm toying around with a blind purchase of Montale's Greyland and would love to hear people's experiences and impressions of it.

Thanks,
    Bill

Default Re: Greyland (Montale)

It's awesome stuff. I picked up a bottle at the Place Vendome (Paris) store last month. It's a very, very dry woody fragrance. Best for cooler weather.

Chris

Thanks, Chris!

I think it's one of their better offerings. Indeed it has wood in it, but it has a lot of other things going on as well (rose and leather). I think I'm going to splurge on a bottle.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Hi Bark and Bill just sent you a PM
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I hate it :P

It is trying to be like Gucci PH and Comme des Garcons #2 Man except it is the worst of the three. These three all share that "burnt wood from a camp fire" notes but Greyland has a dirty, animalic note that I find to reik of someone that hasn't used a bar of soap in a month. Gor for Gucci PH insteand which is much better and less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    It is trying to be like Gucci PH and Comme des Garcons #2 Man except it is the worst of the three. These three all share that "burnt wood from a camp fire" notes but Greyland has a dirty, animalic note that I find to reik of someone that hasn't used a bar of soap in a month. Gor for Gucci PH insteand which is much better and less expensive.
    I don't see, er smell, much of a comparison. I've had GPH for quite some time, but rarely wear it because it seems so linear in its approach--ginger and woods with a slight wisp of leather when it dries down. It's not a bad fragrance by any means, it just doesn't leave me with that great of an impression.

When I smell Greyland, I conjure up images of riding in a horse-drawn carriage down a dew-covered cobble-stone road lined with dark roses while wearing a leather jacket. There's much more going on with this fragrance, at least to my nose, than there is with Gucci Pour Homme which feels rather suffocating and stuffing in its approach.

It's the lighter version of Gucci PH...I love it! Sadly I only have sample that Montale sent me a few months back. IMO, I'd be ok just sticking with GPH. Seems like it's finally out for distribution via Aedes.com from what i've noticed.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I found it weak and thin. Nothing I would purchase. I can send you my sample if you want it.
    I was really excited to ttry it, and wore it twice, but never warmed to it.
    Not a total scrubber, just nothing special.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Good to hear these reports on Greyland. Love the name, but am 0 for 8 with Montale and was just about to do the sample dance at Aedes; now I don't care to.

I adore Greyland on my husband. He and I both find it quite strong. and long lasting. He uses only 1-2 spritzes so I wonder if Slim got an off sample. I do not find it very similar to the fragrances listed above at all. In fact, I find it quite distinctive and head and shoulders above most other men's fragrances. Fabulous heartnotes. Wonderful complex, spicey-woody dry-down. Notes: Ginger, pepper, elemi, cardamom, teak, kayak and blue cedar. Aromatic French Cystus Albidus , grey musk, sandal-wood and leather. It is sexy, masculine, gorgeous, distinctive and elegant (oh, I think I just described my husband.)

i have to agree with sanddrift here,...i own both GpH and CdG #2 man<which are favorites and dear friends to me!> and gotta say although my bottle of greyland just arrived today from Maisonstinky <thanks for turning me onto this Vijay>...i dont find any sort of comparison with either of those..i would say that the others are for me brown/tan whereas greyland is potent and more ...well grey/white/sparkly to me...i'll havta give it a few rounds for a more robust evaluation but its a stunner in my book!

I'm wearing it today and have the last couple as well, and don't see many similarities with GpH. Sure, there are a few here and there, but this scent stands well enough on its own--one I would say destined to be among the best releases this year.

This one sure does elicit some mixed opinions. I can see all of these perspectives. I get that funky BO note, especially in the topnotes. Once it dries down I can see some resemblance to Gucci PH in the burnt wood note, though maybe this has more of an ash tinge to it. I also find my sample (from Aedes) to be extremely weak. I'd imagine their juice is good, so I'm leaning toward writing this one off...maybe this is one of those scents that responds very differently to different skin types.

Mixed opinions indeed.

But *I have to get my two scents in on this. For people who don't know me I have been a Bn'er since August last year, and I love being part of this community a whole bunch, because I happen to love scents. *I also sit on the other side of the table, yes I am a retailer and I do this for a living (full time). I recently got the Montale line and have sold it in my store and to some Bn'ers.

I don't know what your samples smelled like. I have sent out samples and have gotten positive reaction from everyone. I also have a a tester in my store and people that have tried it have fallen head over heels in love with it.

The comment made by The Bark (reply # 7)

"I conjure up images of riding in a horse-drawn carriage down a dew-covered cobble-stone road lined with dark roses while wearing a leather jacket."

sums it up all pretty much, thank you The Bark. I could not have said it better.

And you have got to listen to Sandy also *, I have seen her posts and her replies to different threads , she is pretty knowledeable about scents.

All I am asking people to do is revisit this if you did not have a positive reaction to this the first time. I have seen people change their minds about certain scents when they get the expierence the second time around.

Maisonstinky
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    This one sure does elicit some mixed opinions. *I can see all of these perspectives. *I get that funky BO note, especially in the topnotes. *Once it dries down I can see some resemblance to Gucci PH in the burnt wood note, though maybe this has more of an ash tinge to it. *I also find my sample (from Aedes) to be extremely weak. *I'd imagine their juice is good, so I'm leaning toward writing this one off...maybe this is one of those scents that responds very differently to different skin types. *
    I don't know about this. I bought this for my husband after exhaustively testing many men's fragrances (more than two dozen and I revistied classics as well) . I did my first pass on bottle/sample vial whiffing only, second screening on paper, third on my skin, fourth on his. Greyland was one of the very few that stayed the same all the way through. Many scents I liked turned soapy-smelling in reaction to my man's chemistry, but not Greyland.

While I do sense sexy, warm skin (the "grey" musk, no doubt), I do not detect anything that I would ever describe as body "odor."

I think it is one of the best recent releases, if not the best. And unmistakably masculine