Code of Conduct

Default 3 compliments in 3 days...

3 compliments in 3 days, from....

Rive Gauche!!!

I've never got such frequent compliments from any other fragrance. It's by the by, in a way - I'm happily married, and the compliments are from older women, but nevertheless, compliments they are!

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Default Re: 3 compliments in 3 days...

i had the same experince with rive gauche & not only compliments..., but hugs as well...everyone wants to sniff more rive gauche intensly.......... :

I must be ugly since when I wear Rive Gauche I don't get bite, hugged or even complimented.
    Damn you, Rive Gauche!

It really is phenomenal: the smell is really not anything THAT special, kind of a smoother update of Brut, but for whatever reason, the ladies loooooove it. (how i wish Indie_Guy were here to elaborate). Im a big woody-oriental-addict, but I always keep my Rive Gauche around for going out dancing, as many of my favorites aren't ideal for sweating in. Rive Gauche, on the other hand... oh my.

I`m always curious to know, in which sort of situations exactly those compliments come..(?) Who are these people who do make compliments?

Ged?? [smiley=happy.gif]

i am also curious, this smells like an old man smell, but always gets hype up on herE?

I once had a gay roommate who told me that I wore the wrong fragrances to attract women, he said I wore the kind that would attract gay men instead of women. He said, in his experience (and being 10 years older than me I figured he had some experience to speak from), women really like the "old man scents" like Brut, Old Spice, etc. I always remembered that advice, and you know, I think he was right. It's like some sort of biochemically ingrained code in women's brains that "old man smell" = "old money smell" or something to that effect. I don't worry about it these days, since I have a long-term GF, but I do seem to get more compliments from the "manlier" scents. The question I have is what TYPE of woman prefers the old man scents over the more contemporary ones? I don't know. Someone should do a controlled study on this...

Why So Serious?

It seems that older women definitely prefer more masculine scents, maybe they tend to associate the traditional colognes more because they grew up with them. *It is hard to see younger women preferring those kind of scents based on my experience. *I always get compliments on the sweeter and fresher scents which is exactly the trend these days. *But then age doesn't really paly a crucial role in itself, this topic again becomes quite subjective.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    He said, in his experience (and being 10 years older than me I figured he had some experience to speak from), women really like the "old man scents" like Brut, Old Spice, etc. *I always remembered that advice, and you know, I think he was right. *It's like some sort of biochemically ingrained code in women's brains
    In the morning, a young girl's father gets ready for work, puts on some Old Spice or Brut, and then hugs and kisses his daughter before he leaves for the day. *Thereafter, the young girl might very well have good memories associated with Old Spice or Brut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    [quote author=robyogi link=1142850476/0#6 date=1142866941]He said, in his experience (and being 10 years older than me I figured he had some experience to speak from), women really like the "old man scents" like Brut, Old Spice, etc. *I always remembered that advice, and you know, I think he was right. *It's like some sort of biochemically ingrained code in women's brains
    In the morning, a young girl's father gets ready for work, puts on some Old Spice or Brut, and then hugs and kisses his daughter before he leaves for the day. *Thereafter, the young girl might very well have good memories associated with Old Spice or Brut. [/quote]

This is true. They are triggered to rember their father instead of thinking that you smell good. IMO the sweeter frags work the best. Women love vanilla. Not to say thave Rive Gauche isn't delicious, there are others that will work just the same if not better. They don't have to be a "old man" scent though....

My (female) roommate spotted my decants of M7 and Rive Gauche sitting out and asked what they were. After the shortest possible explaination of basenotes and decant swapping, she took a sniff of each - just from the nozzle, no spraying. She said the M7 was nice but smelled like candy and them the Rive Gauche was "Mmmmmm... this one is REALLY good! Kinda like Old Spice, huh?" I corrected her that is was more like Brut. I cannot see any connection to Old Spice at all, so she probably meant Brut.

Anyway, I am really starting to like M7 and didn't really like the Rive Gauche, but naturally I now have to give Rive Gauche another wearing to see if I can't find something good in it. The same chick last commented on my fragrance when I was wearing Tam Dao, so she obviously likes the "manly" stuff. None of my "fresh" stuff has ever gotten noticed by her.

The only one I've gotten very positive comments on lately was Piper Nigrum. Two of my younger female coworkers (~ 24 yrs old) each told me it was pretty great. It actually inspired one girl to buy some scents for her office that reminded her of the fragrance. I would say PN is old-school manly spice and incense. It's definitely not particularly sweet, even in the dry down. By comparison, I wore Musc Ravageur the day after and was told that the one the day before was better.

On the other hand, a lady I used to work with, much older than me BTW (~50 yrs old), suggested I get Angel Men b/c it was "so sexy."

I don't know what to make of that. I think scent operates on such a pre-conscious level that what women SAY they like doesn't really tell the whole story. That's the image they want to give out. It's those candid and physical responses (such as "mmmm" or going out and buying something like it) that seem to give away the real story.

I think I've found a little sociological experiment for myself to conduct. Anyone with me? Manly scents one day, sweet and modern the next and chart the results...

From personal experience, college girls don't like anything that isn't aquatic, citrus, or fresh smelling. However, if they're drunk these same girls are more open to scents like A*men, Pi, and Le Male. When I'm at work, a lot of older women compliment me on "manly" scents such as Gucci PH and Salvador Dali PH. It really depends on who the woman is and there isn't a universal scent that everyone likes.

so what were the ones pulling in the gays?

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    From personal experience, college girls don't like anything that isn't aquatic, citrus, or fresh smelling. However, if they're drunk these same girls are more open to scents like A*men, Pi, and Le Male. When I'm at work, a lot of older women compliment me on "manly" scents such as Gucci PH and Salvador Dali PH. It really depends on who the woman is and there isn't a universal scent that everyone likes.

I sure don't want to stir up a storm here, but this idea of changing trends in women's preferences is pretty interesting to me. I consider the generation gap between older women and the college girls of today and I wonder what has changed in between, viz. sexuality. Sexuality is really what we're talking about here, so why not dive right in to the subject.
    The 'old man' scents aren't really designed just for old people- it's not as if grey hair complements sandalwood better than vanilla or oranges. I think they are called 'old man' fragrances because they are commonly smelled on older men. The frag choices of older men offer us younger guys a glimpse into the past; style, etiquette, sexuality-these all affect fragrance choice to a certain extent.
    When I think of the male sex symbols that older women grew up around, I think of John Wayne (maybe not sexy, but at least influential), James Dean, Rock Hudson, Steve McQueen, Burt Lancaster, etc. These men were supposed to smell like whiskey, tobacco, horses, sweat, and grease. Their fashions were either jeans with plain t-shirt or rugged-yet-formal button-up shirts. These scents and fashions are undeniably masculine, even intimidating. This was after the war(s), the men were heroes who fought the good fight, they were protectors, women gave up some freedom for the aegis of their strong patriarch.
    Enter women's lib, the sexual revolution, equality in the workplace, etc (all positive things, I might add). Women in my generation, at least to a greater degree than their mothers, recieve and expect respect and responsibility in all areas of their lives. Machismo is an affront to their autonomy and power, at least psychologically.
    To wrap things up: The smells and styles of the men of yesteryear were symbolic of the warrior: the spartan lifestyle, the simple pleasures, the hard work, the single-minded concentration... These are all traits of warriors from centuries past, even to the time of Achilles. Men smelled bad because they worked hard. Men dressed a certain way because work was more important than looking good. Other men understood this, and they could care less what other people thought, because only another man could understand how hard he worked.
    Now: Women do the same things as men, even fighting wars. They hold positions of great authority. However, society still expects them to dress nicely, smell nice, and act nicely. When a man wears something like Yatagan or Brut, he is (in a small way) displaying some of the machismo of times past.
    I'm not sure that women my age really find that so attractive. I think that the cowboy/soldier machismo has been replaced by a personality that leaves room for women as equals. The sweeter scents, the vanillas and citruses, the longer hair and unisex clothes, all this is part of the trend towards equality. It goes hand in hand with pants for women, shorter hair for women, sexual leverage for women, etc. The end result is a compromise between the extremes of macho cowboy and delicate housewife, where everyone can come to a relatively flat playing field. I think that's great. This thread just got me to thinking about the cultural significance of these popular new scents.

I could go on even longer about women and their fathers and their fathers' cologne, but I'll leave that to someone else.

I am tired, and I apologize if I was rambling or incoherent or just plain meaningless. And of course, I don't ever mean to offend anyone. I realize that there are exceptions; however, I do think that the median between the two extremes has shifted decidedly in the last 30-40 years.

If it makes you feel any better, I was raised by two feminist lesbians. My opinions, I think, come from a pretty gender-equal background. But hey, who knows, I may be way off. Are there any older women here who have any thoughts on what I wrote here? I'd be interested to know what you think.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I like the analisis on this one, greyhueofdoubt. True statement. I couldnt agree more ;D

A nice analysis indeed. Thank you for provoking us to think!

That said, I've given it some thought, and I'm not sure that it tracks so directly with women's progress in society, or with women's tastes. Men after all are the ones buying much or most of men's fragrances, and they often have little-to-no knowledge of what women really like. Let's face it, if a woman likes you, she's going to compliment your fragrance even if she really does not like it! I've had a few girlfriends who later told me they didn't like my fragrance, after having used it as a prop to approach me ("hey, you smell good" and so on). So even if men do buy what they think women like, there's no guarantee that those scents are what women actually like (so the correlation between women's role in society and fragrance purchases doesn't really hold).

The phenomenon of sweet modern scents probably also has to do with a number of other factors:
    - the changing role of men and the willingness of men to be and wear things that previous generations would have found unacceptable - due to changes in the workplace (more "white collar" work, less heavy lifting and "death" jobs) there's not as much of a need felt by men to be "manly" by those old definitions; also changes in the culture at large - men just don't define "manliness" the same in every generation
    - production: simply put the new fragrances companies now produce have tended to be fruity/fresh/sweet; marketers say they give people what they want (via market research), but to some degree, they also shape what people want with ads and simply with what's available
    - maybe most importantly, the desire of young folks to "rebel." If one's father or grandfather wore brand x, then one is likely to skip that and establish his own individuality with brand y or z.

In the end, I think fads/trends just come and go. Every generation wants to rebel against the one that came before it, to establish its own identity and individuality. Within that "rebellion" there are the trend-setters, the ones who take a chance before anyone else, then the majority of the people, then the late adopters. I'd say right now the early adopters (Basenoters when it comes to frags) are already trending toward more "manly" scents. Just look at the attitudes expressed on this site by some pretty young folks.

That said, the mainstream will only adopt what is accessible (that is, available, easy to comprehend, and relatively inexpensive) - so don't expect everyone to be wearing MKK any time soon!

Thanks again for the opportunity to put some thought into this...

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    I once had a gay roommate who told me that I wore the wrong fragrances to attract women, he said I wore the kind that would attract gay men instead of women...........

the hugs & compliments that i recived were from girls, straight men & gay men???

hmmm...I'm in doubt...
    Last week, a woman told me that a man should wear fresh frags...On dating sites, indeed mostly of the younger woman like Adg, Cool Water, Chrome etc...
    Personaly, I think that fresh modern scents are not only for the younger ones, at work, there was a collega (now retired), in his late 50 ies, who was wearing l'eau d'issey and it smelled great on him ! And let's not forget, l'eau d'issey is allready a classic and maybe even becoming an 'old' frag :
    I am still convinced that it" s your personality and self coinfidence that makes the scent (if it suites you btw)...if a monkey wears a smoking, it is still a monkey,(no offence) if you know what I mean 8-) ;D
    That said, I ve bought last week Opium Eau d'Orient YSL, think I going to buy today YSL Rive Gauche...seems to be attracting women ;D ;D
    Have a good day fellows !
    one strongly addicted Renz !

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    [quote author=teflondog link=1142850476/0#12 date=1142895236]From personal experience, college girls don't like anything that isn't aquatic, citrus, or fresh smelling. However, if they're drunk these same girls are more open to scents like A*men, Pi, and Le Male. When I'm at work, a lot of older women compliment me on "manly" scents such as Gucci PH and Salvador Dali PH. It really depends on who the woman is and there isn't a universal scent that everyone likes.

I sure don't want to stir up a storm here, but this idea of changing trends in women's preferences is pretty interesting to me. I consider the generation gap between older women and the college girls of today and I wonder what has changed in between, viz. sexuality. Sexuality is really what we're talking about here, so why not dive right in to the subject.
    The 'old man' scents aren't really designed just for old people- it's not as if grey hair complements sandalwood better than vanilla or oranges. I think they are called 'old man' fragrances because they are commonly smelled on older men. The frag choices of older men offer us younger guys a glimpse into the past; style, etiquette, sexuality-these all affect fragrance choice to a certain extent.
    When I think of the male sex symbols that older women grew up around, I think of John Wayne (maybe not sexy, but at least influential), James Dean, Rock Hudson, Steve McQueen, Burt Lancaster, etc. These men were supposed to smell like whiskey, tobacco, horses, sweat, and grease. Their fashions were either jeans with plain t-shirt or rugged-yet-formal button-up shirts. These scents and fashions are undeniably masculine, even intimidating. This was after the war(s), the men were heroes who fought the good fight, they were protectors, women gave up some freedom for the aegis of their strong patriarch.
    Enter women's lib, the sexual revolution, equality in the workplace, etc (all positive things, I might add). Women in my generation, at least to a greater degree than their mothers, recieve and expect respect and responsibility in all areas of their lives. Machismo is an affront to their autonomy and power, at least psychologically.
    To wrap things up: The smells and styles of the men of yesteryear were symbolic of the warrior: the spartan lifestyle, the simple pleasures, the hard work, the single-minded concentration... These are all traits of warriors from centuries past, even to the time of Achilles. Men smelled bad because they worked hard. Men dressed a certain way because work was more important than looking good. Other men understood this, and they could care less what other people thought, because only another man could understand how hard he worked.
    Now: Women do the same things as men, even fighting wars. They hold positions of great authority. However, society still expects them to dress nicely, smell nice, and act nicely. When a man wears something like Yatagan or Brut, he is (in a small way) displaying some of the machismo of times past.
    I'm not sure that women my age really find that so attractive. I think that the cowboy/soldier machismo has been replaced by a personality that leaves room for women as equals. The sweeter scents, the vanillas and citruses, the longer hair and unisex clothes, all this is part of the trend towards equality. It goes hand in hand with pants for women, shorter hair for women, sexual leverage for women, etc. The end result is a compromise between the extremes of macho cowboy and delicate housewife, where everyone can come to a relatively flat playing field. I think that's great. This thread just got me to thinking about the cultural significance of these popular new scents.

I could go on even longer about women and their fathers and their fathers' cologne, but I'll leave that to someone else.

I am tired, and I apologize if I was rambling or incoherent or just plain meaningless. And of course, I don't ever mean to offend anyone. I realize that there are exceptions; however, I do think that the median between the two extremes has shifted decidedly in the last 30-40 years.

If it makes you feel any better, I was raised by two feminist lesbians. My opinions, I think, come from a pretty gender-equal background. But hey, who knows, I may be way off. Are there any older women here who have any thoughts on what I wrote here? I'd be interested to know what you think.

-ben[/quote]

so what, we should all wear cKone? ;D

no, but seriously, many good points are raised here Ben. I do think, however, that that old-school masculinity still has an appeal. As women of any age if James Dean and Steve McQueen are sexy. The cowboy and the policeman, or other versions of the solidity-in-uniform fantasy figure are alive and well (as you may well personally know- ever seen that Bud commercial with the servicemenin the airport?), I just think they have become more self referential and more self aware. Brut may not be sexy any more, but Rive Gauche sure is. Knize Ten (James Dean's signature frag) may smell dated and fusty as all hell, but Cuiron is still dead sexy.

Thanks for the feedback. You guys brought up some good points that I hadn't considered in my initial argument.

Yes, I agree that men in uniform are still very appealing to women. In fact, that was what first attracted my current girlfriend. There are other situations (like school) where a certain type of girl will seem to always sit next to me, but I can't tell if that's just coincidence, my uniform, or if I just smell nice. There are many girls out there who are turned off by the authority that the uniform brings, and I think that they would probably like me more than the girls who are attracted to the uniform itself! I don't really fit the stereotypes that surround soldiers (look at what I'm doing during my lunch break- cologne shopping and chatting on basenotes...). In the end, I think that things even out; I get about as much overall respect from women as any guy who had a professional stable job and good hygiene.

By the way, talk about three compliments: I wore GIT to school today and received 3 compliments in one hour! Heck, I like GIT, but I didn't think it was THAT good. 8-)

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I have a hard time wearing anything I don't feel like wearing (thick, sweet, cloying, agitating, whatever) just because certain females might like it.

A lot of what they like (or think they like) depends on the time, place, who's wearing it, etc.

Haven't known many who didn't like Rive Gauche, young and old, goodygoodies, sexually mature older women, nymphomaniacs of all ages (although they often don't care what you smell like. they're usually focused in on one thing). Amazing how horny some people are. Probably want to stay away form those kind anyway. They're often not very careful.

"You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

as I wear a uniform...don't think it makes any difference to the girls / ladys.....

Had the same experience. I get a compilemt on RG almost every time I wear it.

Same here, posted elsewhere regarding my experience with RG. A couple of days ago, after spraying some RG, I walked up the stairs in my office as some people were rushing down,I noticed that they literally stopped and took a sniff!

Yesterday a lady co-worker told me to wear something else coz RG is driving her crazy!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47