Code of Conduct

Default Musc Ravageur, the Body Shop Edition

Yeah, i know it may sound weird...

Anyway, I've been thoroughly enjoying the free sample of MR that i got, and it works surprisingly well in the hot and humid weather here in Singapore. A pleasant surprise.

You can imagine just how much more surprised i was when i smelled someone else in the office wearing the same scent! I thought i had finally found someone else in this country who appreciates fragrances as exquisite as the Malle series... So I walked up to him and asked him what he was wearing.

My jaw dropped when he said it was "Body Shop stuff". Specifically, his sister had bought cinnamon, white musk and vanilla oils from body shop and blended them. The resemblance to MR is absolutely uncanny. Fantastic, smooth sillage. I'll need to find out what the exact proportions are that she used, but needless to say, if i can spend $20 in body shop as compared to $200 online and still get that fantastic "MR" feeling...

Default Re: Musc Ravageur, the Body Shop Edition

Wow, you must get this info and share it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul
    Wow, you must get this info and share it.
    That's the plan.

Haven't smelled any of the Body Shop oils, but I would imagine that it was a 2:1:1 ratio, cinnamon being the benevolent of the other two, but then again for the person who doesn't want to fuss with proportions, it would be a 1:1:1 deal.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Haven't smelled any of the Body Shop oils, but I would imagine that it was a 2:1:1 ratio, cinnamon being the benevolent of the other two, but then again for the person who doesn't want to fuss with proportions, it would be a 1:1:1 deal.

I'm actually going to try to get the exact proportions... It just smelled so unbelievably like MR, I don't want to get the mix wrong and wind up with something that smells "close, but no cigar".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae

Anyway, I've been thoroughly enjoying the free sample of MR that i got, and it works surprisingly well in the hot and humid weather here in Singapore. A pleasant surprise.

You can imagine just how much more surprised i was when i smelled someone else in the office wearing the same scent! I thought i had finally found someone else in this country who appreciates fragrances as exquisite as the Malle series... So I walked up to him and asked him what he was wearing.

My jaw dropped when he said it was "Body Shop stuff". Specifically, his sister had bought cinnamon, white musk and vanilla oils from body shop and blended them. The resemblance to MR is absolutely uncanny. Fantastic, smooth sillage. I'll need to find out what the exact proportions are that she used, but needless to say, if i can spend $20 in body shop as compared to $200 online and still get that fantastic "MR" feeling...

The cinnamon mentioned - would that be 'Cinnamon spice' by any chance? If this works... oh boy! (prefer oils to perfume any day) *
    ;D ;D *:-* :-* ;D ;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I'm going shopping for the materials tomorrow. Will report back with results.

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva

The cinnamon mentioned - would that be 'Cinnamon spice' by any chance? If this works... oh boy! (prefer oils to perfume any day) *

Would have to be Cinnamon Spice, its the only cinnamon they have. *At $10 USD per oil, why not experiment? Vanilla, White musk and Cinnamon.....hhmmmmmm. Heck, I have a Body Shop just down the road; I volunteer to experiment as well!

Musc Ravageur has the following notes:

Top note : *Bergamote, Mandarine (tangerine en francais) *
    Middle note : *Cannelle (cinnamon en francais), Vanille *

Base note : *Musc, Ambre *

So where was the amber and citrus coming from, I wonder? BS does have a mandarin massage oil, but no amber.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    [quote author=moondeva link=1141264587/0#5 date=1141294362]

So where was the amber and citrus coming from, I wonder? BS does have a mandarin massage oil, but no amber.

[/quote]

I think the 2005 formulation of the vanilla oil has quite a heavy hint of amber to it (the golden coloured perfume oil not the most recent clear oil) and the citrus is provided by the Cinnamon spice il. I have this and on my skin it is definitely a citrus (warm orange) dominated fragrance - reminiscent of one of those home made pomanders (a whole orange with cloves stuck into it and left to 'cure' for 2-4 weeks before being hung out to gently freshen the air and closed spaces like wardrobes). A very christmassy scent. Only TBS has used cinnamon instead of cloves so it is much 'smoother' and floral than a pomander.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I would use quite a bit of the White Musk oil. Musk notes tends to disappear when you mix it with other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    I would use quite a bit of the White Musk oil. Musk notes tends to disappear when you mix it with other stuff.

Yup! Exactly what she used. The white musk adds a little of the citrus-like spice to it too

Quote Originally Posted by Esan Sal
    I'm going shopping for the materials tomorrow. Will report back with results.
    Remember, you need to let it settle for a couple days

I saw this topic and I went to the Body Shop today. I noticed the little bottles of fragrance oils but I didn't buy any. Next time I go, I'll pick some up to experiment with.

What are you guys mixing them in? A decant vial?
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

im waiting on a decant of musc ravageur right now so id love to get the correct proportions and experiment in duplicating it

[quote author=Esan Sal link=1141264587/0#6 date=1141303821]I'm going shopping for the materials tomorrow. Will report back with results.
    Remember, you need to let it settle for a couple days[/quote]

I did. I'll try #1 tomorrow.

I'm mixing it in a nice big vial.

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria

What are you guys mixing them in? A decant vial?
    Yup! I bought the scentless oil from body shop and am using that to dilute the oils. I have 4 different recipes settling now, will try them tomorrow. I have high hopes for number 3.

(Pssst.... Is "Rashkae Number 3" copyrighable? )

Blog Entries

I am so excited about this *has EVERYTHING crossed*

3 is my lucky number so...

I want to use this (if it works) to deepen my sample so that it lasts longer on my skin. I so prefer oils.

:

I am so excited about this *has EVERYTHING crossed*

3 is my lucky number so...

I want to use this (if it works) to deepen my sample so that it lasts longer on my skin. I so prefer oils.

:

Yup, it'll be an oil... But you really really have to dilute it!!!

By the way, I still haven't gotten the exact recipe from her, but I'm trying combos with a dash of sandalwood, and also trying both the japanaese musk and the white musk.

Blog Entries

Yup, it'll be an oil... But you really really have to dilute it!!!

By the way, I still haven't gotten the exact recipe from her, but I'm trying combos with a dash of sandalwood, and also trying both the japanaese musk and the white musk.
    Good gosh!

Great minds think alike, mon ami! I went sniffing through my collection of oils and thought how she might have used a little Woody Sandalwood as it has that wonderful clove top note and the same rich woody ambery drydown as that in MR. Was going to suggest then got shy! :-[

i would really love to hear how all mixes turn out as I love Japanese Musk as well.

Blog Entries

Rashkae

I just tested an old pure (undiluted) mix I had of TBS oils (Woody sandalwood, Vanilla, Japanese Musk) against my FM sample and can totally see that how the TBS oil mix can work. However, I think that Japanese Musk won't work in this case as there is a 'high pitched' note that throughs the whole mix off. I think it is the muguet top note in the JM otherwise it is quite similar to MR.

On my skin MR is almost chocolatey - the vanilla and the musk in both the white musk and the cinnamon spice don't on initial sniff seem 'dark' or dense enough to recreate the same impression. Any thoughts? :-?

On my skin MR is almost chocolatey - the vanilla and the musk in both the white musk and the cinnamon spice don't on initial sniff seem 'dark' or dense enough to recreate the same impression. Any thoughts? :-?

On my skin, MR is a well-rounded vanilla with just the hint of spice.

This is the mix that, on my skin at least, smells almost exactly like the MR dry-down:

2 parts Vanilla
    2 parts Cinnamon spice (a very weak oil)
    1 part Sandalwood (very strong stuff)
    2 parts White musk
    1 part Lavender

I've been following this thread with great interest. Now might be the time to go shopping for ingredients...

Thank you for your research!

Arte et labore

Quote Originally Posted by viktorov
    I've been following this thread with great interest. Now might be the time to go shopping for ingredients...

Thank you for your research!

No problem!

Don't forget:

1. DILUTE the oils. NEVER apply the pure oils to your skin!
    2. Your mileage may vary... Just like the original MR will vary from skin to skin, so will these scents. Though the oil base will help consistency

Blog Entries

No problem!

Don't forget:

1. DILUTE the oils. NEVER apply the pure oils to your skin!
    2. Your mileage may vary... Just like the original MR will vary from skin to skin, so will these scents. Though the oil base will help consistency
    Just to clarify (my brain is mush today) :-[ :-[ :-[

Do I dilute the oils in separate bottles BEFORE making a batch? For example make up 5 ml 'tincture' for vanilla oil and then mix 2mls of this tincture into the mix.

Or

Do I dilute AFTER? Example. I make up 'essence' 5ml bottle of the 'pure' oils and then dilute (n) drops of essence in 5ml of plain (jojoba, almond) oil.

Sorry if stupid question but thank you for guidance / help. :-?

Just to clarify (my brain is mush today) :-[ :-[ :-[

Do I dilute the oils in separate bottles BEFORE making a batch? For example make up 5 ml 'tincture' for vanilla oil and then mix 2mls of this tincture into the mix.

Or

Do I dilute AFTER? Example. I make up 'essence' 5ml bottle of the 'pure' oils and then dilute (n) drops of essence in 5ml of plain (jojoba, almond) oil.

Sorry if stupid question but thank you for guidance / help. :-?
    Well, what i did was get a 5ml sampler bottle, and filled it with about 3ml of the unscented body shop oil (a little more than half way). Then added the ingredients in drops:

2 drops Vanilla
    2 drops Cinnamon spice (a very weak oil)
    1 drop Sandalwood (very strong stuff)
    2 drops White musk
    1 drop Lavender

And shook it well, then left it to sit.

Rashkae, fantastic thread and great details! Did you buy your empty 5ml sampler bottle at the Body Shop as well? The reason I ask is because I don't have any empty decant vials to use.

Also, why is it important to dilute the pure oils with unscented oil?

Another thing: Are these the little oils you bought? They're called Home Fragrance oils:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/thebodys...ragrance-.html

However, I couldn't find the unscented oil on the Body Shop website. Do you have a photo of the product so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

And to anyone else, who has tried making Noir Epices? I LOVE that one and I wear it even more than my Musc Ravageur. However, my nose isn't very well-developed and I wouldn't even know where to begin!

Blog Entries

And to anyone else, who has tried making Noir Epices? I LOVE that one and I wear it even more than my Musc Ravageur. However, my nose isn't very well-developed and I wouldn't even know where to begin!
    I love Noir Epices as well. I don't know about which individual oils to use to recreate this scent though. However, there is still good news!

I find that Noir Epices is a rich green chypre with strong 'peppery' spicy top notes and a nice whack of leather in the base. The following perfumes (haven't found any men's yet. Maybe the guys can suggest some?) are similar or have the same character - at least on my skin:

Givenchy III (discontinued) - same leathery green chypre but less spicy at start. The spice definitely shows up in the drydown. Sublime!

Miss Balmain - This is the close cousin or love child of Givenchy III & Cabochard and will also satisfy some of your Noir Epice cravings.

Paloma Picasso - parfum. I find the EDT & EDP too sharp / acrid in the beginning but it may work for you (you MUST try) and there is no real sense of similarity until the late dry down. The parfum is much smoother and more sweetly mossy like Noir.

Bandit - EDP & above. There is some confusion whether this is for men or women. I have actually seen separate versions for men and women (men's has a gold lid) but feel that Bandit is more unisex and should be worn by those who love it!

Jolie Madame - this is not exactly similar. In fact you may find it too girly for you due to the violets but I feel this chypre leather beauty should not be so swiftly discarded and is dynamite on the right chemistry whether it be man, woman or child. Perfect for this spring time. If you have tried Miss Balmian then you are half way familiar with this - just add violets.

I would ignore the gender barriers and try all of these - I am sure you will discover new (more affordable) favourites to compliment / suppliment your Noir Epices. I strongly recommend the Givenchy III & Miss Balmain as interesting possible supplements / replacements.

HTH

Rushkae,
    Musc Ravageur is a really simple scent - and to be honest I don't smell much more than those three notes in it: cinnamon, vanilla and musk. It's simple and delicioius. Good luck with the more affordable re-creation! Keep us posted when you get the proportions right - or just open your Musc Ravageur dupe-store on eBay
    By the way, I think the Body Shop oils are already diluted in the base - the ones with the applicator. It's ok to mix them and apply direct to the skin.
    The home-scenting ones, however, should not be worn on the skin diluted or undiluted, they are designed for scenting the environment only, and may not be safe for your skin.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Rashkae, fantastic thread and great details! Did you buy your empty 5ml sampler bottle at the Body Shop as well? The reason I ask is because I don't have any empty decant vials to use.

Also, why is it important to dilute the pure oils with unscented oil?

Another thing: Are these the little oils you bought? They're called Home Fragrance oils:

However, I couldn't find the unscented oil on the Body Shop website. Do you have a photo of the product so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Hi there!

1. No, I used 4 empty 5ml tester vial i had left over.

2. Pure oils are so strong that they can seriously damage your skin.

3. No, I used the "Perfume Oils":

4. It's the generic massage oil. Looks like this:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/thebodys...unmasoil1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    Rushkae,
    Musc Ravageur is a really simple scent - and to be honest I don't smell much more than those three notes in it: cinnamon, vanilla and musk. It's simple and delicioius. Good luck with the more affordable re-creation! Keep us posted when you get the proportions right - or just open your Musc Ravageur dupe-store on eBay
    By the way, I think the Body Shop oils are already diluted in the base - the ones with the applicator. It's ok to mix them and apply direct to the skin.
    The home-scenting ones, however, should not be worn on the skin diluted or undiluted, they are designed for scenting the environment only, and may not be safe for your skin.
    Hey there! Yeah, MR is such a simple scent that it's fairly easy to re-create. And the ingredients are easy to find too.

AAAAH, ok, thanks. I may have gotten the risks of perfume oil and home fragrance oils mixed up. Still though, even diluted, they smell pretty strong.

Really great info, everyone! Thank you!

I better order some empty vials too... ;D

And thanks for the clarification about the unscented massage oil and the perfume oils (not the home fragrance oils). ;D

Here's a little update. I made my purchases from The Body Shop today:

-3 atomizer vials (C$10.00 per vial... they're nice but I'll order more off Ebay cheaper)
    -White musk perfume oil
    -Japanese musk perfume oil
    -Woody sandalwood perfume oil
    -Vanilla perfume oil
    -Cinnamon spice perfume oil
    -Massage body oil (unscented)

However, I couldn't find lavender perfume oil. It doesn't exist here in Canada. I think I will just skip the drop of lavender in the mix and see how it goes.

The perfume oils, although highly concentrated, are safe to wear on the skin. Even one small drop on the skin is very powerful. The white musk drop on my arm smells particularly amazing.

The white musk drop on my arm smells particularly amazing.
    Yeah, the White Musk EDT is good on it's own.

What alternatives do you have to the Lavender in Canada? Moonflower?

I see the Moonflower oil on here:

However, I've never had experience with Moonflower before. Would you recommend it as a good floral substitute for lavender?

In a few days, if my mix smells fine without the lavender, I may just forego a floral topnote.

Actually, all of the oils stand very well on their own... if you look at the list of ingredients in Cinnamon Spice for example, you'll see a pyramid of topnotes/heartnotes/basenotes:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/thebodys...wspicpero.html

I see the Moonflower oil on here:

However, I've never had experience with Moonflower before. Would you recommend it as a good floral substitute for lavender?

In a few days, if my mix smells fine without the lavender, I may just forego a floral topnote.

Actually, all of the oils stand very well on their own... if you look at the list of ingredients in Cinnamon Spice for example, you'll see a pyramid of topnotes/heartnotes/basenotes:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/thebodys...wspicpero.html
    Yes, They're all great, really. But you can mix them to make something fantastic.

I just picked up some:

Cinnamon Spice
    Coconut
    Woody Sandalwood
    Vanilla
    White Musk

A question....How does unscented oil dilute the formula?
    Couldn't you use a drop or two of alcohol
    Sorry if this is a stupid question...

I've asked this question several times and maybe I've missed the respones, but *where* is everybody getting these free Malle samples?? :-?

There is no Nose....

I find this thread to be quite intriguing. I'm thinking about making a trip to TBS and picking up some perfume oils. There are a couple of things I need to figure out though first. I know absolutely NOTHING about making perfumes, so a really dumbed-down step-by-step instructional guide detailing the correct way to mix all of these ingredients and end up with something tangible would be awesome. Does it really work to make a scent w/o using any alcohol, and if so why do perfumers always use alcohol? I guess there is a lot for me to learn. Also, I noticed that all of the perfume oils are marketed towards women. Do they smell particularly feminine or is it just the marketing? Unless they are overtly feminine I doubt I'd have a problem as I tend to enjoy sweet, sometimes feminine scents, but I just want to make sure they aren't super girly. Also, what was the total cost of all the necessary ingredients? Thanks for the great thread and help, I'm looking forwad to my attempt at replicating a classic fragrance.

[quote author=moondeva link=1141264587/15#23 date=1141572909]

Just to clarify (my brain is mush today) *:-[ *:-[ *:-[

Or

Sorry if stupid question but thank you for guidance / help. *:-?
    Well, what i did was get a 5ml sampler bottle, and filled it with about 3ml of the unscented body shop oil (a little more than half way). Then added the ingredients in drops:

2 drops Vanilla
    2 drops Cinnamon spice (a very weak oil)
    1 drop Sandalwood (very strong stuff)
    2 drops White musk
    1 drop Lavender

And shook it well, then left it to sit. [/quote]

So, does anyone alse have an idea as to what the composition is yet is or this all we've got so far?

One more thing... Rashkae, is the lavender you mentioned in the composition from TBS? Cuz on their website I see no mentions of lavender perfume oil. If not, where did you get it? What of TBS perfume oils would make the best substitute? I say we all work together and declare the OFFICIAL

composition. (I accidentally submitted the previous post before adding the final word)

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    One more thing... Rashkae, is the lavender you mentioned in the composition from TBS? Cuz on their website I see no mentions of lavender perfume oil. If not, where did you get it? What of TBS perfume oils would make the best substitute? I say we all work together and declare the OFFICIAL

Hmmm... I have Lavender here...

A good substitute might be the moonflower oil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega

I've asked this question several times and maybe I've missed the respones, but *where* is everybody getting these free Malle samples?? * :-?
    5ml samples are generously sent by FM customer service ONLY if you:

1. Have completed their online questionnaire.
    2. Have received a few suggestions from them as to which FM you may like / suit you.
    3. Have NO reputable outlet /resource near to you for you to try them in store

You can of course write and request a sample or two with out completing the above but be warned that they are swamped by sample requests and so response may be delayed. Also I have heard they may be revamping the system due to extreme demand and samples maybe reduced to 3ml. I think this is still extremely generous and a good size for you to get a sense of whether the scent works for you or not.

I hope that helps! *

I have just made up my own 3ml blend and am waiting for it to mellow (1 Week - I can't wait!) .

My measurements were : 2 drops = 1 part.

I did this because I love stronger, more potent aromas and living in a cold climate (yesterday we had 8" snow - brrrr!) a scent needs extra oomph to 'project' as well for me.

I mixed:
    2 parts (4 drops) TBS Mostly Musk
    2 parts (4 drops) TBS Vanilla (2005)
    2 parts (4 drops) TBS White Musk
    2 parts (4 drops) TBS Cinnamon Spice
    1 part *(2 drops) TBS Woody Sandalwood
    1 part *(2 drops) Lavender EO
    1/2 part *(1 drop) TBS Sugar & Spice fragrance oil *

Pure (unscented) ground nut oil to fill.

* Disclaimer: this is a total risk on my part. I felt the TBS Cinnamon Spice was too subtle and thought a tentative drop of this potent citrus vanilla spice oil would add the 'kick' needed. I would not recommend this for anyone else to try as TBS strongly advise people NOT to use the fragrance oils on their skin.

My initial impression is that this will smell more similar to the FM Musc Ravageur OIL which is available rather than the EDT. It smells amazing anyway and I look forward to seeing how it turns out. *;D

For those who prefer EDT you could 'slack' / dilute the core blend of oils in 5 - 10ml Everclear (american perfumers alcohol) or overproof (90%) pure vodka to achieve similar results. *

I think this oil is very similar, but even if not exact it smells AMAZING!!!

And if anyone asks you can always say you are wearing an 'exclusive', custom-blended original!! *

My next target - Feminite du Bois!

;D

for anyone interested, i recently came across saveonscents.com and ordered quite a few scented oils from them and am expecting delivery sometime this week. they sell three different concentrations of their oils and have hundreds of different scents to choose from. one ounce, depending on the concentration, only costs a few dollars. after i find a mix that works, i plan on diluting with sd alcohol (there are links on that site of where to buy) and using it in an atomizer. a cheaper way to experiment, and i will post my results when i find my perfect mix.

Blog Entries

Errmmm! Can I pick your brain Rashkae or anyone else who might be able to help?

I have my 3ml MR blend here, intermittently grabbing my attention with delicious little wafts of chocolatey vanilla goodness (and it's only been 2 days)! *But I am still not entirely convinced. *:-/

MR EDT on me (and when sniffingfrom decant) is a 'darker', deeper more intense spiced chocolatey vanilla musk on my skin. *Is the MR Oil softer / smoother *than the EDT?

I am thinking that it needs a little 'something' to make it deeper and more brooding; to give it that oomph!

Do you think 1 part patchouli would be what is needed? Vanilla won't work as it will just make it sweeter. I also believe that even though another part of Woody Sandalwood might work, that annoying chypre / clove top note may through the whole blend off. :sigh:

It is lovely and yummy just as it is and as I said before it may be closer to the Oil version which I haven't yet tried. Adding this blend to alcohol could have the immediacy and initial depth that I am speaking of - but I usually prefer oils.

I would still appreciate the feedback for future blends of this oil that I make.

Thank you! *

Do you think 1 part patchouli would be what is needed?

Sounds about right. Patchouli would give it a good edge.

I tried another mix using a vanilla oil I got from and indian marketplace, and i think it's got a rougher edge.

Time for more mixing!! God i love this hobby

So, has anyone created the perfect blend yet? I am interested in this seeing how I just started to enjoy MR.

Unfortunately, I don't think the "perfect blend" is going to happen using TBS perfume oils. Like someone else mentioned, they plain and simple lack edge. That doesn't mean they're bad, but when combined the outcome is just too soft and sweet. However, I think that mixing perfume oils from another source could perhaps produce a near replica of MR. Basically just do the same thing but get ones with a little more edge. Good luck.