Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default talk to me about Antaeus

so I've never sniffed it, but it sounds interesting. Any opinions? comparisons? randy anecdotes?

Default Re: talk to me about Antaeus

Antaeus is one of my all time favorites. My nose isn't really good enough to pick out individual notes in it, and it doesn't really smell similar to anything else I know. To me, it has a similar "feel" to M7, although they don't really smell similar--dark, warm, a little sweet, but in a dry and uncloying way.

Antaeus works for me in any situation and weather, with a lighter application when it's hot, and I've gotten lots of compliments on it. It's also fairly uncommon and distinctive. One of the few fragrances I've liked enough to actually purchase at full boat retail price.

Highly recommended.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    Antaeus is one of my all time favorites. My nose isn't really good enough to pick out individual notes in it, and it doesn't really smell similar to anything else I know. To me, it has a similar "feel" to M7, although they don't really smell similar--dark, warm, a little sweet, but in a dry and uncloying way.

Antaeus works for me in any situation and weather, with a lighter application when it's hot, and I've gotten lots of compliments on it. It's also fairly uncommon and distinctive. One of the few fragrances I've liked enought to actually purchase at full boat retail price.

Highly recommended.

--Steve
    thanks steve!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a bittersweet 80's type scent that has a bit in common with Salvador Dali PH. I agree with Steve in that it is dark and mysterious. Almost smokey even. It doesn't strike me as a casual scent so I personally wouldn't have many occassions to wear it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Many condsider it one of the best. While I can appreciate it on some levels, it's mustard like dry down is not pleasent to me.

I have a 1.7 oz bottle that is 90% filled, if anyone is interested.

I agree with Teflandog: Antaeus has something common with Dali PH. Dali PH is darker, stronger and really long lasting.

I'm sorry: Teflondog (not Teflandog!)

Post Thanks / Like

Joel, Antaeus is a must-experience. A milestone in men's fragrance for popularity as well as insipration and depth reasons. I'm one of those who love it. There's a note of almost rotting fruit in it--plums, I think--that keeps the scent curious and rolling over and over in your mind each time you sniff it.

Will you like it? Who's to say. It is one of the greatest and most fun scent creations of the last thirty years for certain. Sniff it and if you can try it out for that reason alone.
    Best,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Antaeus starts with a very strong smoky smell that fades after 30 min. to a sweet/floral smell, really, really good. I think It's a versatile fragrance, in my opinion. Very good indeed.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One of the all-time greats! It has a beautiful clary sage-myrtle note that lingers in the heart, and warm, amber and leather in the base; overall, it's richly layered and masculine.

It turns people's heads, is not something you smell all the time, and it gives a very polished, elegant impression of the wearer. Don't miss it!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Antaeus is richest, deepest and the most complex fragrance ever created for men. That`s about it.

Nab it if you can get it. I find it to be a subtle, masculine fragrance. It isn't one which has strong top notes, so I think you will want to let this sit on your skin before judging it. The herbal notes do not dry down to become pencil-like (e.g Nobile, CM Vintage Greenbriar), and the honey note gives it complexity and some tenacity I tend to like it more during the summer where the heat brings out more of the notes. The frankincense is wonderful in it, but you'll have to get your body heat up to get it to come out (it happened to me one day at the end of the day whwen I was on a treadmill; I can imagine some other times ).
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Dark dark dark, deep, rich, woody.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Antaeus many months ago. It struck me as odd.....like a lot of woods with honey and spices on top. The honey note in Antaeus, as well as the honey note in Kouros, are a bit weird to me.

Maybe I should try it again!!!

Not a shy, subtle scent at all!!!

;D ;D ;D

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this thread as I was getting ready to go to work and realized I hadn't worn Antaeus in a long time so it became my SOTD. *It's brilliant. *One little spray to the chest and it's been going for six hours now--rich, deep, masculine, and extraordinarily structured--what excellence. *