Code of Conduct

Default The Scent for aromatic pipe tobacco smokers

I smoked pipe tobacco for 30+ years and for 3+ hours every night. *I used many different blends over the years much as I now keep trying new scents. *I smoked Latakia-laced blends from Europe and domestic tobaccos but my go-to, signature pipe tobacco was the Tinder Box's Captain Spice:

As you can see, "Vanilla" is its 'basenote'

Today, after getting back from Bass fishing, I showered and applied my new "The Dreamer" by Versace. I was out in the garage smoking a Punch Double Corona cigar when my wife walked by. She did a double-take and said; "For a second, I thought you'd started smoking your pipe again!" Seem's The Dreamer smell's very similar to the Captain Spice tobacco's aroma. I hadn't noticed it but she did and now I know why I love my new scent ;D.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Default Re: The Scent for aromatic pipe tobacco smokers

I plan on being a piper. I love the smell of them. My grandpa used to smoke them and loved the aroma that they created. I might go for something like John Varvatos because leather and vanilla go well with falvored smoke and that might be my thing. We'll see though. I'm not going to do it until I get too old to move.

Great read but I don't see the Dreamer smelling like that. Who knows though, I haven't smelled it in a while. I am glad you found a compatable scent for your smoking....

Everytime I pump into a pipe-tobacco, I somehow end up thinking about Opium PH.

People say Very Valentino has a pipe tobacco element, although I don't particularly get it myself.

Being inexperienced with the more gentlemanly methods of enjoying tobacco (my expertise is rushed cigarette breaks), I would never have thought Dreamer would be an actual representation of how pipe tobacco really smells. I always imagined dreamer as more of the leaf than the actual cured tobacco, because (while its a strong frag) there is a certain "lilting" quality to it- a softness that i find buttery. If I were to come up with a frag that is more evocative of my (admittedly completely ignorant) notion of pipe-tobacco, Id likely go for Michael Kors, with its rich, pungent, flavored quality.
    That or, naturally, vintage tabarome, which my little neice hilariously misread the label of and asked "what the heck in the world does 'vintage trombone' mean?" But I digress...

Miller Harris Feuilles de tabac *
    Valentino Vendetta ***
    Lutens Fumerie Turque *****

"I would never have thought Dreamer would be an actual representation of how pipe tobacco really smells. "

Phil: It's just "that" tobacco that I referred to, not others especially non-aromatic tobaccos. It's the vanilla note that we both noticed even though it's not in TD's pyramid.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [/URL]

Why So Serious?

I think Havana would be perfect for some pipe smoking!
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

The discontinued Venezia by Laura Biagiotti is pure tobacco leaf and honey to my nose. It reminds me of the heavenly aroma of a pipe shop. I think it would smell fine on a man as well as a woman. (Still available on eBay for a mere million dollars or so ...)

I haven't sniffed the men's version, though there was one. (Don't know if it has been discontinued?)

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchly
    The discontinued Venezia by Laura Biagiotti is pure tobacco leaf and honey to my nose. It reminds me of the heavenly aroma of a pipe shop. I think it would smell fine on a man as well as a woman. (Still available on eBay for a mere million dollars or so ...)

I haven't sniffed the men's version, though there was one. (Don't know if it has been discontinued?)
    Hi Twichly. I have Venezia Uomo, and it`s also very much of a sweet-tobacco fragrance, no doubt. Not honey, but very sweet woods (with that tobacco, and also some ripened dark florals). Excellent, very unique fragrance - just like everything else from Laura.
    I haven`t smelled Venezia for women, though.

Lightninrod,

First, lets put the situation the right way.
    What I mean is, your wife have actually smelled a Punch Double Corona smoke PLUS Dreamer sillage, but not just the Dreamer scent itself. Personally, I dunno how these smells blend together, but sort of can imagine that, as I enjoy a good Cuban occasionally, and worn Dreamer quite a number of times. Never happened to do these things at the same time. And Dreamer doesn't smell like pipe tobacco or pipe tobacco smoke to me (save, perhaps, for some of those SG and GH Lakeland flakes).

Second, being a pipe smoker for 8 or so years I can think of some suggestions on your subject. I never smoked Tinder Box Captain Spice as it is a sort of TB shop blends and we don't have any Tinderbox here in Russia.

As for strong vanilla aromatic pipe blends, the ones I like the best are Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Loose Cut (VA/Cavendish from Denmark) and Dan Tobacco's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (VA/Burley from Germany). Both quite strong on vanilla. Positively ALL people around like the smell when I light up a pipe of one of these.

Now back to your question.
    I'm not a purist but won't recommend anyone to wear any sort of fragrance when smoking a strong aromatic pipe blend, other than if he (or she ;D) is into some experiment. The reason being that you never know the result of how it blends beforehand. Sometimes the blend is good, sometimes not. Keep in mind that smoke of most strong aromatics doesn't really smell like a *tobacco* smoke.

Then to some facts from my personal experience.
    Vanilla aromatics went good for me (and some others around as well ) with Guerlain Habit Rouge, Hermes Rocabar, Santos Cartier, Zino Davidoff, Ungaro II and Cacharel Nemo.

As you can see all of these are warm woody-spicy (woods being dominant) and woody-ambery fragrances/ Some patchouly in the basenote is not bad at all. Dry woody and spicy stuff like Gucci PH and original Comme des Garcons wasn't within a hundred miles that good.

Hope this helps. Sorry for a bit wordy post.

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

I second Michael Kors- I love the tobacco notes in that one, and it's an overall outstanding fragrance.

Odor: *Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

For an explanation; *she was noting the 'vanilla-like' scent from The Dreamer and not the PDC's(my favorite Cuban cigar btw!) aroma. *The Dreamer was in its drydown and she smelled it over the cigar's aroma. *At least I think that's what happened :-?

And when she mentioned it, I too noted the similarity between the scent and my old memories of my favorite pipe tobacco's vanilla-like aroma. *It wasn't an "experiment", just a happenstance.

I miss my pipe tobacco smoking days but I put the pipes aside 7 or 8 years ago and took up another 'obsession', the finest tobacco found in hand-rolled cigars there is.

EDIT: I just asked her how she differentiated between the cigar aroma and the scent's aroma and she said; "I just for a second thought you had lit up your pipe and were smoking it instead. I know what your cigars smell like and I thought you had lit up your pipe." ;D

Dan

[/URL]

and she said; "I just for a second thought you had lit up your pipe and were smoking it instead. I know what your cigars smell like and I thought you had lit up your pipe."
    Who knows lady's nose?! ... what else can we say? ;D

Sometimes scents can evoke lots of memories, you know.

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

<<For The "Lightninrod">>
    Its to bad you gave up on your pipe/s (I'm assuming)
    If you never have tried these - you have really missed
    some of the finest - maybe the best... *see for yourself.

http://www.tobaccodirect.com/smartht...ericaTins.html
    http://www.pipetobacco.com/page/pipet/PROD/mtt/MTTFM

also, have you ever seen this site?
    http://www.pipes.org/

and as far as a fragrance that comes close - my choice would be

Virginia
    Lorenzo Villoresi

however, it would be nice to have a great perfumer duplicate
    the wonderful fragrance of "Frog Morton" ... of course, you would not
    know it unless you smoked it or had been around someone else smoking it.
    If you do try it, I would be interested to see what you think and I'll work on the "Nose"

Cg

CG

What a work of ART!!!

No, I never went to any pipe sites as I was unaware of the internet back when I was smoking them. I still have dozens of pipes put away, including some Dunhills, and some custom-made Wiley pipes that havn't been smoked. Man, I really miss them and that wonderful aroma. Maybe I'll light one up one day .

When I pass, my wife is going to have one hell of a garage sale between my colognes, pipes, and Bass fishing tackle ;D.

Dan

[/URL]

Cool thread.

I used to smoke dark aromatic pipe tobacco myself but couldn't control the habit, so I switched to ONE great Cuban cigar at a time, after a really, really fine dinner or a celebration--which don't come along too often; so I suppose I'll live longer (or perhaps a life like that only seems longer?). In any case I miss the taste.

Also miss the "cosmetic effect"

Picture a homeless man on the streets wearing rags and people will say: *"There goes a bum. " * But give the same *poor fellow a pipe to smoke as he pushes his shopping cart along and folks will exclaim: *" Ah! *There goes a philosopher! " *:
    ------
    Lightninrod: I got the point that you were smoking a cigar and mixed with the drydown from Dreamer . . .

I don't know if she would have had a similar--or even stronger effect if you had been wearing the super-syrup: *Creed's Royal English Leather; or the complex vanilla aroma (already mentioned by the odor) Guerlian's Habit Rouge.

Some intriguing stuff posted here

What would remind one of , *as Twitchly said, ' THE HEAVENLY AROMA OF A PIPE SHOP ? '

Never heard of Venezia or of LV's VirginIa.

*Any others?

Thanks,

Mario.

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

The drydown of Davidoff's RELAX smells very much like sweet pipe tobacco to my nose. Excellent.

Btw yesterday i smoked a Cuban Cohiba double corona...what a cigar! Got three more Cubans left from my cruise to the caribbean, a Romeo & Julieta, Bolivar and Partagas, all double coronas. 8-)
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Great thread!! Got me thinking....so I'll reiterate an observation I made some time back:

Although NOT a tobacco-based frag, I find Laguna reminds me of a rich vanilla-blend pipe tobacco I tried at a friend's party some years back. I'm thinking it's the vanilla and tonka bean meshing in with the cedar and sandalwood. That may be the case as I seem to remember someone here saying that the blend of cedar and sandalwood takes on a resemblance to tobacco in certain scents!!

Very interesting!!

;D ;D ;D

It's probably one of the reasons why I love Valentino Vendetta so much...reminds me of the comforting smell of unlit rope tobacco that my dad kept in his pockets. Didn't make the association until now.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Wow! *I had no idea this would be a popular subject. *Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. *I just PM'd a BN'r that has has Vendetta on his swap list. *I looked at Relax and Laguna too. *I don't really NEED any more scents but......................... .

Dan

[/URL]

Kouros and GIT!!!
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

To me, Tea for Two is the epitome of fine pipe tobacco.

For a cured cherry-flavored tobacco scent, DK Fuel is heavenly. But due to its limited availability, it's a journey just to acquire it without paying an arm and a leg.