Code of Conduct

Default Help me choose my first Serge Lutens

Hey guys. I got a gift certificate to aedes so I decided that I'd try something new for a change so I decided to get my first Serge Lutens. Lutens frags all seem to generate positive responses. However, I wonder if some of these are only praised due to the fact that they're Lutens scents. Based on my wardrobe ratings, what would you recommend for me? I like warm Orientals that are woody but not too spicy. What I don't like is the combination of citrus and vanilla, hence my dislike for Musc Ravageur and Hanae Mori EDT. I'd appreciate your vote and reasons why you voted for that scent. If there's something that isn't on the list that you think should be there, then by all means let me know. Thank you very much.

Default Re: Help me choose my first Serge Lutens

Vetiver Oriental.

Musk and sandalwood oriental accord, light citrus. 'A sprig of vetiver grass growing out of a bottle of Tocade'.

Ambre Sultan

I sampled Chergui for the first time today and it simply sucks. It's way to sweet, extremely cloying and overly synthetic.

I second Vetiver Oriental, the only export Serge Lutens I like.

I second Ambre Sultan

Another for Vetiver Oriental.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I have Vetyver Oriental (a decant of it) and find that it's a little difficult to find times and places to wear it. It's very nice - warm, round, rich, smooth, etc. - but only after it's had hours to dry down. Prior to that, the vetiver is really potent, at least on me, and not all that different in character from MPG's RdV or Villoresi's Vetiver. I find that I tend to wear it, like I did last night, when I am going to be staying home, reading, having a drink, or watching a movie. It's not one I find myself wearing out much, if at all. It strikes me as a pensive, thought-provoking, sitting by the fireside type of scent, not one that is lively or upbeat.

I recently sampled Arabie and Ambre Sultan. Arabie I found was very chaotic at first, then settled down to a semi-gourmand scent reminiscent of authentic chai tea with cream, and also with a fairly noticeable note of earthy sweetness like dried figs or dates. To my nose, I would descibe it as spicy, creamy, slightly woodsy, thick, and fairly sweet.

Ambre Sultan was a very odd scent to my nose. As I was smelling it, well into its dry-down, I thought it smelled like tanning flesh - like someone who had just come out of a tanning bed, or just come off the beach. It was sort of a sultry, sweaty, almost musky scent with some earthy sweetness (probably from the amber). I'm not sure I would call it "spicy," though there was a hint of spice in it. Mostly, I was struck with it's skin-like scent.

It looks like Chergui is running away with the poll. You may also want to look into Fumerie Turque.

I voted for AS, but the vetiver is excellent if you like vetiver very hoarse.

Over a year or so of exposure to this line (and having owned many bottles and now not so many), I have come to the conclusion that there are few that I absolutely love. There are a couple more that I'd not mind having but are not requirements, and I've also realized that the primal musk featured in certain of the scents doesn't work at all for me, and neither do those with powdery chypre bases. You can't go wrong with AS, unless you are critical of dried oregano (which I happen to like).

Chene

Without knowing really what you like it is little more difficult to
    choose from these excellent fragrances you have listed.
    To me they are all outstanding in their own right and are very
    particular - sometimes very hard for people to wear but for the
    ones surrounding them the aura is exotically appealing...
    if you know what mean.
    The one I have chosen is the Chergui.
    I can only speak of this fragrance as it is applied on me and at
    this point, let me say its all in the way ((I)) apply it.
    The beginning starts very spicy with the incense, tobacco leaf?
    and leather introducing themselves - then quietly being seated
    as the honey note slowly makes its introduction know but only
    as a part of the group and not to up stage the others.
    The supporting cast is as impressive as the main players…
    Musk, hay, sugar, amber, iris, rose, and sandalwood.
    Every player plays their part well without stepping on each others
    lines which makes the dry down extremely enjoyable for me.
    Theater performances are a bit larger than film performances,
    generally speaking, so adjust your applications of this outstanding
    scent and the reviews from your audience will make this one a
    box-office success... and I think you will like it too.

Cg
    CG

I'm not sure exactly when, but I thought I read in a recent post that Fumerie Turque will be coming out of the "exclusive" line for a limited time later this year. I don't know what your taste is ... but I just spent over $200 for a 2.5 oz. "bell shaped" bottle (off ebay) that was from that store ( I can't spell it ) in Paris because I just had to have it after sampling it. The ones you've mentioned above are all good, but I like Fumerie Turque better than any of those. Of course, this is just my personal preference.

At least worth a sampling ...

If you like woody but not spicy, Chene would fit the bill - and it's very dry and tannin-like. Vetiver Original is another good choice in that vein but very earthy vetiver. If you like a suave leather, Cuir Mauresque is another one to consider.

Arabie and Fumerie Turque are rather spicy. Douce Amere would be too sweet for your tastes I think, too close to vanillic, even with wormwood's bitter counterpoint. Chergui is my personal favorite but it's on the mildly sweet & dreamy side; not sure if you'd go for it.

If I were you I'd sample first ... there are a few people here who could probably set you up, on the swap & sell board.

happy is the bleu heart<3

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    I'm not sure exactly when, but I thought I read in a recent post that Fumerie Turque will be coming out of the &quot;exclusive&quot; line for a limited time later this year. *I don't know what your taste is ... but I just spent over $200 for a 2.5 oz. &quot;bell shaped&quot; bottle (off ebay) that was from that store ( I can't spell it ) in Paris because I just had to have it after sampling it. *The ones you've mentioned above are all good, but I like Fumerie Turque better than any of those. *Of course, this is just my personal preference.

At least worth a sampling ...
    I keep hearing that too. *Fumerie Turque will be available to purchase from Aedes, but not until next fall. *And I also heard that Chergui will be going back to the exclusive line at that time. *

My suggestion is to buy Chergui now with your Aedes gift certificate, since it will be hard to buy soon. *Ambre Sultan is so worth it, but it's easier to buy here in the US all the time. *(I'm worried, though, that AS may be too spicy for your tastes.)

If you ever have the chance to sample Santal de Mysore, try it! *That's one that you might like. *It's part of the exclusive line, though.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

RTbar

chergui is an amazing, 5 star fragrance... extremely long lasting as well... its very balanced and complex

Just remember, summer is coming...I find his scents too heavy in warm climates..
    Yuo might want to try L'artisan scent, or Creative Molecules.

I recommend Chergui

If you have access to the exclusive range, I recommend Chene or Borneo 1823. (you can get decants on eBay for about 2 bucks for a vial or 20 for a decant that will let you live with them for a while)

Cherqui is going back to the exclusive range? Oy, I'd better get a couple.

I voted Arabie, but I haven`t got experience with all of those frags on the list...

Btw, I`m quite curious with this: How much you people in the States have to pay for a bottle of Lutens..? How much does it cost in the local retailer??

RTbar

92 dollars for 1.6 at niemans

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    92 dollars for 1.6 at niemans
    Thanks for that!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Get one that's not on your list: Daim Blond!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Chergui is the one that I've been so curious to try, but I don't want to buy it blind because I've been disappointed by many frags that many Basenoters are in love with. Vetyver Oriental probably wouldn't suit my tastes because aside from Lanvin Vetyver, I really don't like vetiver scents much. I ended up ordering sample vials of Chergui, Arabie, Ambre Sultan, and Fumerie Turque since they seem to be the popular ones. I'll decide from there which I like the best (if I like any at all). Again, thank you all for the wonderful recommendations and feedback you've given me. You've reminded me once again why I'm happy to be part of this board.

Cheers

Vetiver Oriental
    Very unusual vetiver - iris, chocolate, vanilla, woods and saps...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Voted for Vetiver Oriental, which is by far one of the most wearable Serge Lutens fragrances IMO - but you have to give this one some time to develop. As mentioned before, it starts harsh and heavy and raw, but after one hour or so it softens down to a wonderful, soft scent with hints of amber and vanilla.

If you get the opportunity to sample the new Gris Clair you should try this, too. A very dry, deep lavender fragrance, quite good for spring and summer.

Daim Blond and (I tink) Gris Clair are $120, not $92. I haven't sniffed Gris Clair yet (the people at Fred Segal hadn't even heard of it), but for me, Daim Blond was worth every penny.

Ambre Sultan is my pick on your list.

I completely forgot that Fumerie turque was passing into the export line, that's why I didn't suggest it to you...
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed at all about it!
    And let me say I was even wearint it yesterday!

RTbar

Quote Originally Posted by tmp
    Daim Blond and (I tink) Gris Clair are $120, not $92. I haven't sniffed Gris Clair yet (the people at Fred Segal hadn't even heard of it), but for me, Daim Blond was worth every penny.
    oops. yeah the scents with the new concentrations are 120 not 92...

Are you in a big rush to order / gift certificate expiring?

Request 'The Little Book of Scents' to obtain wax samples. Then we'll see how much you dislike vetiver.

http://www.salons-shiseido.com

Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    142, Galerie de Valois
    25, Rue de Valois
    75001 Paris

Chergui is very easy to love and complex at the same time too. Really can't go wrong.

I just bought Chergui, my first Lutens, and I lurve it! I'm after vetiver oriental next. I'm a guerlain vetiver kinda gal. Mkk is on my wish list but I'm scared it's too farmyard. Jicky and kiehls both have a farmyard note for me....mkk might be too much like that maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by SusieSusie View Post
    I just bought Chergui, my first Lutens, and I lurve it! I'm after vetiver oriental next. I'm a guerlain vetiver kinda gal. Mkk is on my wish list but I'm scared it's too farmyard. Jicky and kiehls both have a farmyard note for me....mkk might be too much like that maybe?
    Congrats on the Chergui - great scent.