Code of Conduct

Default when scents go bad - help with two scents

Hi again. I have been trying many scents. Two have confounded me because they have great reviews in the Directory, and they seem to be well-respected, but I am getting something way different than what I am reading.

First, MPG's Parfum d'Habit: I get, no kidding, cow patty. I'm originally from a rural area with many farms. I know cow pie when I smell it, and it's on my hand right now. And it's not just me, my SO just told me I was stinking the whole car up! :-[ This note lingers for hours. Could this be a bad sample? Or chemistry?

Second, Valentino Vendetta: I get a strong, noxious B.O. note. Like the cow pie note, this lasts a long time, hours. Then it gets medicinal.

So, do you think these sample vials have gone bad? Is it normal for scents that go bad to pick up stinky notes like this? Or, is this a skin chemistry thing that is relatively normal? Do others get weird, and very unpleasant notes, in some scents for no reason other than skin chemistry? :-/

Default Re: when scents go bad - help with two scents

to each his own. I thin GIT smells cheap. very fickle thing, the olfactory sense.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    So, do you think these sample vials have gone bad? *Is it normal for scents that go bad to pick up stinky notes like this? * Or, is this a skin chemistry thing that is relatively normal? *Do others get weird, and very unpleasant notes, in some scents for no reason other than skin chemistry? * :-/
    I get halacious results from Bandit and Yatagan and I have to be extremely light with Knize 10 and Cuiron. They all smell okay on a test card, but on my skin they can turn ugly. I don't think I do very well with some leather or castoreum constructions.

I just got a bottle of Vendetta Homme, and just after the topnotes, there's this strange transition with the clove and woods that seem "off", but right after there's this wondrous woodsy spicy scent with a base of patchouli in just the right intensity. I've decided that I needed a second bottle to keep on hand, but I don't detect any fecal cowpatty properties to declare it had gone off or as an overall bad composition. I don't think that a scent could react so drastically that it actually smells "off".

Robyogi, have you worn either of these scents before? I think the only way to know if it's different is acquire another bottle from another source.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Aramis Havana smells like gingery-spicey noodles on my skin, and it actually smells worse than it sound like!

As much as we'd all like to experience how other basenoters experience and rave about some scents, we can't. Some scents don't last long with me and others don't project their notes so well. Sad sad thing. Just goes to show how complex the sense of smell is and how body chemistry plays and important role in it.
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

I did notice something odd though - the Parfum d'Habit sample has what appears to be a typo on the card that came attached to the vial (a professionally printed card with MPG logo). It says "Parfums d'Habit" (with an "s" on the end of Parfum) as opposed to Parfum d'Habit, which is how it is spelled on the MPG website, both in English and French. Also, the phone number printed on that card does not match the one on MPG's website. The sample vial itself does not have the scent's name printed on it, just "MPG" in script and the words "Eau de Toilette."

Maybe this is a fake? Or a really old sample?

I think I am going to have to get samples of these two from other sources just to test it out. If those do the same thing, then it's safe to say it's a skin chemistry issue and not a bad sample. If they don't do the same thing, I'll most likely have yet another two scents to add to my wishlist!

I have never tried Valentino Vendetta, so I cannot comment on it. *I have, however, tried MPG's Parfum d'Habit, and I am sorry that I did. *My experience with Parfum d'Habit was very negative. *Although it smelled like bad body odor when first applied, I endured in wearing it in the hope that the drydown would be better. *I finally washed it off after about six hours of great distress.

First, MPG's Parfum d'Habit: I get, no kidding, cow patty. *I'm originally from a rural area with many farms. *I know cow pie when I smell it, and it's on my hand right now. *And it's not just me, my SO just told me I was stinking the whole car up! * * This note lingers for hours. *Could this be a bad sample? *Or chemistry?
    I haven't tried Parfum d'Habit but your description is consistent with these reviews:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121256.html

Vetiver oil definitely does have a distinct note of fresh manure.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.