Code of Conduct

Thread: Packer's fear

Default Packer's fear

No, not those cheese-heads from Green Bay! I've started to do more selling/swapping lately, now that there's a UPS store right around the corner (I need to open up one of those things, considering how much they charge!)--anyway, I've found myself packing items, shaking the box, and then re-opening it to pack it yet again. There's just something about a "swooshing" sound of liquid coming from the box that disturbs me. After all, one of the reasons I go to the UPS store is because they don't bother to ask what's inside, and I have a hard time telling little white lies to the post office when I go, no matter how much grief they may have caused me in the past.

So, picture me with two or three bottles of cologne boxed up, taped, and ready to go, when I give it the one last "will it pass the shimmy-shimmy shake" test. It's like the opposite of Christmas, when you take a wrapped present and shake it, trying to figure out what's inside. Instead, you already know, you just want to keep those people actually doing the shipping from knowing.

Not that this has caused any sleepless nights, mind you, but I do think I have found a solution: Pack lightly, not tightly. Giving those styrofoam peanuts some room to breath actually helps in that when the box is shaken, the sound of them jockeying around inside for position a bit actually helps to mask the sound of the "swooshing".
    The Bark Bites Back.

Default Re: Packer's fear

I like bubble wrapping each individual item, so the bottle will be O.K. no matter what. To fill the extra space peanuts or newspaper will work to keep them away from the sides of the box. I don't want my shipment to hit a side at a funny angle and break. Always have to be careful, no matter what...

What about enveloping bottles with that bubbled cellophane (I don't know how it's called technically) and a bit of wadding? This should acoustically isolate a bit your package...

Nope, bubble-wrap doesn't work. *The tighter you pack something, the less it works in your favor because no matter how much you can isolate the bottles moving inside the box, you can't isolate what's moving inside the bottles. *I try to get them so that there's just enough room for some of the peanuts to move inside, too. I've used a combo of bubble-wrap and peanuts, which seem to work best, but the wrap alone doesn't hide the sound.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I've just started purchasing fragrances, and I plan on swapping products, as I have done with wetshaving creams and soaps.

Are there any problems shipping fragrances, meaning: do UPS and USPS have regulations regarding the shipment of volatile liquids such as fragrances?

Newbie question, I know ... but I AM a newbie!

Thanks!
    NoNonScents!! Getting Ready to Retire....

I've found the best way to pack for the Post Office is to use both bubble wrap AND packing peanuts. I use a box big enough so that my bubble wrapped bottle gets an added level of cushioning from the peanuts that are packed loosely around it. That way, in case the bottle does work it's way through the peanuts to one side during shipping, at least it has the bubble wrap to protect it. And with both in there, you can't hear any splashing around at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    Nope, bubble-wrap doesn't work. *The tighter you pack something, the less it works in your favor because no matter how much you can isolate the bottles moving inside the box, you can't isolate what's moving inside the bottles. *I try to get them so that there's just enough room for some of the peanuts to move inside, too. *I've used a combo of bubble-wrap and peanuts, which seem to work best, but the wrap alone doesn't hide the sound. * *
    I'm not such experienced in sending scent bottles, but I once swapped a scent and now that I remember well I not only bubble-wrapped it and enveloped with wadding; I also used that plastic straw used for baskets-gifts. So the box inside the package was free to move a bit. That's why probably I didn't hear any glou-glou... So, hat off to you, Bark!
    I hope, at least to have given you an alternative to styrofoam peanuts.

Thanks, Mag--didn't think of straw, though when I get packages from Lusciouscargo, I save the packing and re-use it (woodshavings). Semi-related, on the receiving end, because I'm in a condo and typically leave notes for UPS to throw the package up onto the second floor balcony, it's amazing the number of people who are afraid they will break--they think that, because it's on the 2nd floor, that by throwing it up 10+ feet, it's actually going to come down 10 feet and shatter. Of course this COULD happen, but in reality, once it reaches its appex, it only "falls" about two feet--and anybody who's familiar with shipping realizes your packages probably get handled a lot rougher, not to mention some of the drops they do take from belts and what not.
    The Bark Bites Back.

[blue]There's definitely less swooshing noise when a bottle is upright than when it's flat.

scentemental[/blue]

Another thing I use frequently is the shredded paper from my shredder. With that, you hear NO liquid swooshing because the rustling of the paper is much louder than any liquid sounds. The only problem is, it's a bit heavier than bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts and sometimes that pushes the package over the 1 lb. rate to the next rate up.

[blue]The Bark,

Another solution is to use the USPS automated teller machines. I use them all the time for shipping decants and especially when shipping bottles. It quick, easy, and you don't have to talk to any USPS employees, and there's no need to tell white lies. The only problem is the automated machines won't let you do the flat rate boxes, but if you're prepared not to use the flat rate boxes, it's really an efficient, stress free way to mail your packages via USPS.

Also, and you probably already know this, if time is not of the essence, send them USPS Parcel Post instead of First Class Mail or Priority Mail, both of which have an air mail component and hence why you get the 3rd degree. Like most UPS shipments, Parcel Post goes by ground; it's trucks and trains all the way. You can clearly declare that your Parcel Post package has alcohol-based fragrances in it with immunity because it's not going by air. The draw back, 6 to 9 days to get to its destination. I have always found that USPS always manages to take nine days exactly to deliver Parcel Post packages, never less than nine days.

scentemental[/blue]

Thanks Scentemental, that's some good information I was unaware of. I don't know how all the click-n-ship stuff works, but noticed the USPS site has scales for sale on it. Don't know if you can pay via the web by entering the package dimensions and weight (for smaller, envelopes), but the auto-teller thing sounds good. Are they typically located in the postal office, or can they be found elsewhere (UPS Stores, etc.)?

The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    Thanks Scentemental, that's some good information I was unaware of. I don't know how all the click-n-ship stuff works, but noticed the USPS site has scales for sale on it. Don't know if you can pay via the web by entering the package dimensions and weight (for smaller, envelopes), but the auto-teller thing sounds good. Are they typically located in the postal office, or can they be found elsewhere (UPS Stores, etc.)?

[blue]I haven't used the USPS site click-n-ship option, but many ebayers do and there seems to be no problem with sending fragrances via USPS when doing so. Also, I believe when you use the click-n-ship option, you can have your local mail deliverer actually pick up your packages from your home. I am sure someone else can chip in and give us all more information on this.

About the automated tellers: they're in almost every USPS post office in the city in which I live. I haven't seen any anywhere other the USPS postal stations. Do check them out. Your mailing worries will be over.

Glad to be of some help.

scentemental[/blue]

Once I had to pack a half-full bottle; those are the noisiest! I bubble wrapped it tightly, then put it in a zip-lock bag filled with air. That layer of air seemed to insulate for sound better than anything else I've tried, though I like the idea of filling the box loosely with noisy packing material too.

I will second vontech's question: Isn't it allowed to ship fragrances in the US? You guys need to disguise and lie? Oh my!