Code of Conduct

Default Rejected on the Malle sample request

Check out the email exchange below. Any idea on how to get samples??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear XXX

Thank you for your email.

Do not hesitate to go to Barney’s in Los Angeles…

Best regards,

Helene

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: contact@editionsdeparfums.com
    Subject: Sample Request

Hello!

Two of your fragrances were HIGHLY recommended to me, but I have never found them in person to test. Would it be possible to receive a sample of Frederic Malle's:

Vetiver Extraordinaire

Musc Ravageur

It would make my day to try these!!

Default Re: Rejected on the Malle sample request

They could just be outta stock? or maybe Helene is just feeling jerky today.

do you do the online questionnaire? Do you that first and then they contact you via email

I did the questionaire a while ago and I have still not recieved an e-mail. How long do I wait for the e-mail to come? It has been a week I think...

Quote Originally Posted by guedoguedo
    Any idea on how to get samples??
    Call them up and get their address. Get the fragrance department manager's name if possible.

Send him/her a large padded envelope with a smaller, self-addressed stamped padded envelope inside along with 2 empty perfume vials and 2 or 3 dollars.

Put enough postage on the smaller envelope to cover the weight including 2 full perfume vials. The extra couple bucks is for their trouble. Include a nice note requesting the samples.

They might still refuse but this is a chance for them to land a customer and get some word of mouth advertising. If they refuse to send you the samples and just take your cash, they suck bad!

Why So Serious?

Chances are you will not receive any if you live close to a place that carry their fragrances. *The FM line is not found in Canada, so after i filled out the questionaire, they asked for my address right away and sent me 3 5ml mini sprays in no time and even thanked me for the interest, i really should've thanked them. *On the other hand, i sent a e-mail to Amouage requesting samples, but then they told me a store in Toronto carries it and i live in the Toronto area, so they didn't send anything, but i did find a valuable store that carry lots of good lines, so i still thought of it as my gain.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Do you live in LA? When I wrote them, I pointed out that I don't live anywhere near their US reseller locations. Tiphaine asked me what I normally wore and I narrowed down my selection.

Their policy is that if there is an outlet near you, then they won't send samples to you from Paris. They wouldn't send any samples but directed me to their store in Hong Kong. I went there and they were very generous with samples, including latest Carnal Flower which hasn't been released in Hong Kong yet.

No! LA is 3 hours away. I dont know what she is thinking. She might as well say "sorry we cant send out samples" then give me a BS non answer like that, and tell me to drive to LA.

I got some samples a few weeks ago, and then about a week ago wrote for a couple more, based on reviews I read here. Tiphaine responded and said that they are running low on samples right now but they would do their best to help me out. Maybe they've just run out? Maybe they don't know exactly how long a drive it is to LA for you? Just guesses...

Same thing happened to me too...twice, but I live very close to NY. So then I replied back and told them I was incapacitated and gave them a guilt trip...it worked

i'm surprised that they didn't at least send you a few cards.

though, it's understandable that supply would eventually run low from time to time, it certainly does suck to not recieve anything.
    If you work really, really hard, and you're kind... 'Amazing things will happen to you."

- Conan O'Brien.

Why So Serious?

I think the demand is quite high nowadays, so eventually they'd run out.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I was lucky enough to ask for a sample before they began to be carried in barny's.

I'd say an increase in popularity and perhaps your distance to the next store has alot to do with if you will recieve any samples.

Wasn't there some kind of semi-organized power-of-the-people uproar over this issue at another board? I seem to recall a large disturbance that involved samples not being sent, for the reasons of proximity to retail outlet, multiple requests by individuals, and huge, sudden inquiries that the company had not anticipated and was not prepared for, and this Tiphaine had to come and make written amends after some discussion of the people's (perceived) power to influence sales.

I'd write them back, politely indicating that while you do live in a geographical area that does indeed contain a retail outlet, it is nowhere near you (you should probably give a bit of slack for the fact that some people are simply not aware of the size of the state of California) and that it isn't possible for you to make a six-hour roundtrip to obtain a fragrance sample. Include also that you have heard wonderful things about the scents and would be disappointed not to be able to experience them.

to my suprise i got the samples in the mail today~!!! she didnt state anything in email to suggest that. I think my reply helped it though. Pleasant surprise!!!

vetiver extroadinaire - Good, not great. Maybe im not a vetiver guy. it is nice and fresh though. Much better than other vetivers ive tried though.

musc ravegeur - WOW! Interesting to say the least. And smells like every description ive read. Smells like incense from mass. I could probably bed some catholic chicks based on this principle alone. Interesting! I dont know where i would wear it though.....

Quote Originally Posted by guedoguedo
    Interesting! I dont know where i would wear it though.....
    Save it for warm weather, in a setting involving a fire place. Perhaps after skiing at some resort?

I was highly dissatisfied with my recent experience for a sample request from F. Malle:

I placed an order for a 100 ml bottle of Musc Ravageur to be shipped directly from Paris. I asked them to include a couple complimentary samples with my U$S 210 order, since the closest Barneys to where I live is a 13-hour drive. They directed me to the Order Sample section of their website, which offers "complimentary" samples, but charges U$S 25 to cover shipping costs. This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by pigasus27 View Post
    I was highly dissatisfied with my recent experience for a sample request from F. Malle:

I placed an order for a 100 ml bottle of Musc Ravageur to be shipped directly from Paris. I asked them to include a couple complimentary samples with my U$S 210 order, since the closest Barneys to where I live is a 13-hour drive. They directed me to the Order Sample section of their website, which offers "complimentary" samples, but charges U$S 25 to cover shipping costs. This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth.
    They charge $25 USD for international shipping of samples? For a small box or envelope of samples? Heck, for that price, I would insist on a liveried courier...and he'd better be handsome when he shows up at the door.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    They charge $25 USD for international shipping of samples? For a small box or envelope of samples? Heck, for that price, I would insist on a liveried courier...and he'd better be handsome when he shows up at the door.
    Yes, and it's $25 per three samples, so if you order four it's $50 for "shipping." I would hope that they might change this sometime soon now that they have a boutique in NYC and there's no reason for them to have to ship samples from Paris.

Why not just order samples from Luckyscent or TPC?
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Unfortunately, Lucky Scent doesn't carry Editions de Parfums. As for The Perfume Court, 3 samples of close-to-equivalent size would be more expensive than ordering directly from Paris. The best option is calling up the Barneys closest to where you live and - hopefully - the sales associate is having a good day.