Code of Conduct

Default Poised for Terre d'Hermès

Several generous spritzes later as my friend - the loyal decoy - distracted the SR who rolled out her pre-sales pitch, my nose was already hungrily monopolizing the initial fumes of this much touted, unique fragrance that had been greedily pumped down into the inner reaches of my layered cotton t's, attentively preped for this moment.

Half-expecting to be sucked up hurriedly into the vortex of fragrance nirvana, I was disappointingly catapulted only to cloud five. Terre landed somewhat short of my expectations.

Granted, Terre is beautifully crafted, but not in the tradition of Equipage, Bel Ami or Rocabar. It is a faint echo of its powerful predecessors. It hinges rather on purety and spontaneity, a light caress rather than full-throttle frenzy.

It would be remiss of me to say I did not appreciate it at that moment but when returning to reminisce to the clothing I wore that day to welcome its arrival, not even the faintest trace of it was left behind.

I anxiously await your appraisals.

Mario

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Poised for Terre d'Hermès

I am really looking forward to trying Terre d'Hermès! *Maybe I can acquire it this weekend.

Called my local Hermes boutique, and sure enough, they have it available, just got them yesterday...I need to take a trip down there very, VERY soon!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Called my local Hermes boutique, and sure enough, they have it available, just got them yesterday...I need to take a trip down there very, VERY soon!
    Do you mean the Hermes is NYC or LA?

I went with a friend to Hermes to try Terre and was pleasantly surprides!
    It is pure air&earth, it melts perfectly on the skin giving the same mineral salty appeal of eau des merveilles. Plus it stayed on the skin for more than 8 hours. Both me and my friend had absolutely a positive impression!
    Also the H shaped bottle looks very elegant and masculine.
    Finally a particular and refined summer scent for men from Hermes after the old eau d'orange verte.

Yoday I tried in "El Corte Ingles". Beautiful

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled Terre d'Hermès. Again like with almost all of Jean Claude Ellena's creations I miss sensuality. Don't get me wrong, I very much admire Jean Claude Ellena. He is a real artist. All of his fragrances are masterpieces of intellect and minimalisme... but for all the brains, I miss the sex.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    I sampled Terre d'Hermès. Again like with almost all of Jean Claude Ellena's creations I miss sensuality. Don't get me wrong, I very much admire Jean Claude Ellena. He is a real artist. All of his fragrances are masterpieces of intellect and minimalisme... but for all the brains, I miss the sex.
    What's the model perfume for sensuality?

Also does sensuality corrrelate with masculinit?

One of my concerns is that Terre will smell too feminine and not very masculine. I've been getting mixed responses about that issue. It's clearly in the masculine category so I like that, but I hear people comparing to un jardin sur le nil...which is bad because that's a unisex/feminine fragrance.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Terre d'Hermès has no flowers, no vanilla, no amber. Only some benzoin which gives it the slightest roundness, but overall it's very dry(woody) and spicy mixed with that Jean Claude Ellena typical transparency. I don't understand what could possibly be feminine about Terre d'Hermès, eventho it could be perfect on the right woman.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, so I bought it the day after it got to the Hermès boutique here in San Francisco, and I finally wore it today.

It seems to me to be a fine scent, with good projection, and on me, I found it had an aura of skin, which I find rather sensuous. Of course, the way it works on me could be very different from what it does on other people...

I think it's sleek and modern, but it has something of romance about it. I don't know what the list of notes is for it, but I know there's some citrus and patchouli, and some resin, and a little bit of skin about it, ambergris or labdanum perhaps.

On the whole, I'm glad I got it, and think I will enjoy wearing it. I did get several compliments on it, BTW...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    OK, so I bought it the day after it got to the Hermès boutique here in San Francisco, and I finally wore it today.

It seems to me to be a fine scent, with good projection, and on me, I found it had an aura of skin, which I find rather sensuous. Of course, the way it works on me could be very different from what it does on other people...

I think it's sleek and modern, but it has something of romance about it. I don't know what the list of notes is for it, but I know there's some citrus and patchouli, and some resin, and a little bit of skin about it, ambergris or labdanum perhaps.

On the whole, I'm glad I got it, and think I will enjoy wearing it. I did get several compliments on it, BTW...
    Hi, just curiuos but what do you mean by "a bit of skin"?

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by youngscholar
    [quote author=JaimeB link=1142047459/0#9 date=1142216080]OK, so I bought it the day after it got to the Hermès boutique here in San Francisco, and I finally wore it today.

On *the whole, I'm glad I got it, and think I will enjoy wearing it. I did get several compliments on it, BTW...
    Hi, just curiuos but what do you mean by "a bit of skin"?

[/quote]

I mean that it brings out the warmth of human skin, mine in particular. At first, I thought that it might have some leather-ish notes in it (I mentioned ambergris or labdanum, which are ambery notes that sometimes go into leather scents). I now think though, after smelling it on my shirt today, that it was Tolu or Peru balsam instead. I haven't seen the ingredient list.

It made an impression on me faintly like Daim Blond when I first wore that, not that it has similar notes, but that it brings out the warmth of human skin. That's what I meant.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember now that Daim Blond has heliotrope in it; it may be heliotrope in the Hermès Terre, or it may be the Tolu balsam. Both heliotrope and Tolu balsam have the "cherry pie" note. Maybe that was the thing that was eluding me.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Went to the boutique today, bought Terre, but fell heads over heels with Ambre Narguille, and bought that too.
    Like terre, But adore Ambre.

It does not Have any Animalic (ambergris), or Musc. Very clean and warm, great for summer wear. I get Citrus, woods, gunpowder, lots of woods...Very Nice.

This sounds great, but how do you think it compares to Vetiver Tonka?

You can also refer to my other post about this topic.

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been waiting for this one since i heard about it, i had sleepless nights and lost of appetites just by waiting for this stuff. I just called the Hermes boutique in Toronto since i know it's already out in the boutiques in the US, but the saleslady told me it's out tomorrow!!! How dreadful is that?? Another sleepless night it seems, i better not be disappointed in this stuff, cuz i have my cash ready, nontheless have to prepare for some bad news. :-[
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    Well, Terre d'Hermès has no flowers, no vanilla, no amber. Only some benzoin which gives it the slightest roundness, but overall it's very dry(woody) and spicy mixed with that Jean Claude Ellena typical transparency. I don't understand what could possibly be feminine about Terre d'Hermès, eventho it could be perfect on the right woman.
    I changed my mind...
    I bought a bottle and a female friend of mine tried a bit on her hand. It did become indeed very feminine on her. I think this is not because she is a woman, it's rather a question of skin chemistry. So, yes, depending of somebody's skin acidity Terre d'Hermès can have a rather feminine character. I'm sure Hermès did did this on purpose, as they do have lots of success with their unisex scents. Same goes for Eau des Merveilles, though it's marketed to women, it has a masculine character.

One more thing... Terre d'Hermès really reminds me of Poivre Samarcande in the Hermessence line (PS is more smookey and Td'H has citrus topnotes). Here again no coincidence, I was told that Poivre Samarcande (to my surprise) is the bestselling Hermessence.