Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just bought Herrera for Men and it is L O V E

Been buying frags like crazy lately and just 2 days after buying Pi, I bought Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera. It is FABULOUS! Never smelled anything like it. It seems so familiar though, like Allure perhaps? I dunno. All I can say is that it is classy without trying too hard, classic yet not outdated, strong yet not offensive. In other words, perfect. I have finally found my trademark scent. Plus, it can easily go from day to night. :P Perfect, perfect, perfect.
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just bought Herrera for Men and it is L O V E

Quote Originally Posted by Celdor
    I have finally found my trademark scent.
    give it a week!

I must admit I find it a little strong for the first couple of hours, but once it settles down, it is a fantastic fragrance!
    I find some similarity between Herrera and Egoiste Platinum - but IMHO the Herrera is better.

Good purchase!

Just be warned that it doesn't work in warm, humid clients... The wood goes rancid and the rest just becomes cloying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Just be warned that it doesn't work in warm, humid clients... The wood goes rancid and the rest just becomes cloying.
    Agreed!! That's exactly what happened to me when I bought a full bottle... It was too dark/woody and cloying to me... :-/
    It took me years to finish it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    I must admit I find it a little strong for the first couple of hours, but once it settles down, it is a fantastic fragrance!
    I find some similarity between Herrera and Egoiste Platinum - but IMHO the Herrera is better.

Good purchase!
    Those first couple hours are what drove me away from it. I really like dthe basenotes, but ti took forever to get there. I felt like I had to apply it before bed just to enjoy wearing it by morning. The top notes are SO clovey and then there is a very dischordant sharp note, smells out of tune, reminds me of the sharpnesss when you bite the end of a celery stick. I just couldnt handle it all. Grrrreat Basenotes though. Enter Paco Xs....

I just tested Paco XS yesterday and was struck by how much it reminded me of Herrera Men (however I do not find Herrera Men very similar to Platinum Egoiste). I like both XS and Herrera Men, but don't own either--I think a head to head test is in order...

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wanting to try this for a while, and happen to have a sample on the way with an order of Ungaro III(finally decided subsisting on decants just wasn't going to cut it with this one). *Part of me hopes I don't like it, as since my tax returns came in, I too have been going crazy with fragrance purchases. *Oh well, I may be broke again soon, but at least I'll smell like I'm not. *;D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    I just tested Paco XS yesterday and was struck by how much it reminded me of Herrera Men (however I do not find Herrera Men very similar to Platinum Egoiste). I like both XS and Herrera Men, but don't own either--I think a head to head test is in order...

--Steve
    PLEASE head to head them. for as long as I can rememebr i have been banging a gong around here about how incredibly similar these two are. Its astounding to me. I dont want to be a spoiler, but to me the major difference is just the topnotes: Herrera has that gawdawful clove while Xs has a smoother soapier opening, with those berries present. Anyway, many others say theres no similarity, but make up your mind for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo

PLEASE head to head them. for as long as I can rememebr i have been banging a gong around here about how incredibly similar these two are. Its astounding to me. I dont want to be a spoiler, but to me the major difference is just the topnotes: Herrera has that gawdawful clove while Xs has a smoother soapier opening, with those berries present. Anyway, many others say theres no similarity, but make up your mind for yourself.
    It's that gawdawful discordant note that makes Herrera for Men so interesting - I dislike it, but keep going back to sniff it. The I ask myself if I dislike it so much, how come I keep sniffing it more than scents I do like. If you somehow have the abilty to mentally subtract XS's nice note from XS, and subtract Herrera's discordant note from Herrera, what remains could be kind of similar.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=Joel_Cairo link=1142598732/0#8 date=1142606628]

It's that gawdawful discordant note that makes Herrera for Men so interesting - I dislike it, but keep going back to sniff it. The I ask myself if I dislike it so much, how come I keep sniffing it more than scents I do like. If you somehow have the abilty to mentally subtract XS's nice note from XS, and subtract Herrera's discordant note from Herrera, what remains could be kind of similar.
    Renato[/quote]

I totally agree with you. I think that it is the discordant note that I keep on coming back for. I swear, I think I looked stupid today as I kept on smelling the collar of my shirt and been popping the bottle open to get a whiff of it. It's that note that I find addicting. I can't put my finger on it. It just smells so damn interesting. I'd like your opinion though, should I purchase XS on my next visit to the frag shop? Is it as long-lasting as Herrera? Or should I buy something else?
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike

--Steve
    I notice a similarity between the two as well.

I find the comparison of Herrera and XS interesting, as XS never did anything for me (I'm not a fan of Paco Rabanne generally, for whatever reason) and I loved Herrera like crazy for years. I don't wear it as much anymore, but I still have a soft spot for it. I agree that it doesn't wear well in warm weather, but I find it's the epitome of well-dressed class. Something about says formal wear, to me. Perhaps formal wear at the end of the night; you know, your tie's undone, your collar's loose, there's a drink in your hand, etc. Life is rich. There's a warm fire in fireplace somewhere nearby.

I've never quite got the discordant note others seem to have noticed. Is it fern? Or is it the combination of clove and lavender? Some citrus in the top? I'm not sure about that last. The presence of fern makes this one a true fougère, one could argue. I've never found the top-notes too sharp. I find the top sort of spicy and clean, if that's not too much of a contradiction. I keep wondering if there's actually carnation as well as clove. That has a quite a spicy reputation - in both senses of the word. I find the whole composition warm and harmonious; and considering that geranium and tobacco are among my least favourite scents individually, the combined effect is remarkable to me. The lingering warmth of the base is particularly appealing. I should go find my bottle, and see if it's any good still...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sandyw7592
    I find the comparison of Herrera and XS interesting, as XS never did anything for me (I'm not a fan of Paco Rabanne generally, for whatever reason) and I loved Herrera like crazy for years. I don't wear it as much anymore, but I still have a soft spot for it. I agree that it doesn't wear well in warm weather, but I find it's the epitome of well-dressed class. Something about says formal wear, to me. Perhaps formal wear at the end of the night; you know, your tie's undone, your collar's loose, there's a drink in your hand, etc. Life is rich. There's a warm fire in fireplace somewhere nearby.

I've never quite got the discordant note others seem to have noticed. Is it fern? Or is it the combination of clove and lavender? Some citrus in the top? I'm not sure about that last. The presence of fern makes this one a true fougère, one could argue. I've never found the top-notes too sharp. I find the top sort of spicy and clean, if that's not too much of a contradiction. I keep wondering if there's actually carnation as well as clove. That has a quite a spicy reputation - in both senses of the word. I find the whole composition warm and harmonious; and considering that geranium and tobacco are among my least favourite scents individually, the combined effect is remarkable to me. The lingering warmth of the base is particularly appealing. I should go find my bottle, and see if it's any good still...
    Is it really that bad in hot weather? It seems fine with me. :-? And that IS a very detailed description of the notes. Indeed, you must have worn it for quite some time. I know I am.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you. I think that it is the discordant note that I keep on coming back for. I swear, I think I looked stupid today as I kept on smelling the collar of my shirt and been popping the bottle open to get a whiff of it. It's that note that I find addicting. I can't put my finger on it. It just smells so damn interesting. I'd like your opinion though, should I purchase XS on my next visit to the frag shop? Is it as long-lasting as Herrera? Or should I buy something else?
    XS is as long lasting as Herrera on me. It's a fine scent that I wore fairly frequently the year before last, took a break from, and started wearing again quite a bit lately (but I have so many scents that my use of the term "frequent" wouldn't seem all that frequent to people with fewer scents).

I differ from people who who say you should buy what your nose tells you, for two reasons,
    a. Philosophically - there are few real "shoulds" in the world, and there are definitely no imperatives associated with scent purchases, and
    b. If you only rely on your nose, you will wind up with a cupboard full of similar style scents - in my case it would have been full of fougeres.

I made it a point to check out classifications, like the H&R Chart (if you don't have it, I can e-mail you a copy if you IM me your address) and checked out the scents in the categories where I had few of them, and picked the best smelling of those ones as next purchases. Maybe this approach will suit you, maybe it won't, but it could be an amusing exercise.
    Renato

P.S. Another scent that has a discordant note to my nose, which I keep going back to in a manner the same as Herrera, is Lagerfeld Photo.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote author=Celdor link=1142598732/0#10 date=1142610104]

XS is as long lasting as Herrera on me. It's a fine scent that I wore fairly frequently the year before last, took a break from, and started wearing again quite a bit lately (but I have so many scents that my use of the term "frequent" wouldn't seem all that frequent to people with fewer scents).

I differ from people who who say you should buy what your nose tells you, for two reasons,
    a. Philosophically - there are few real "shoulds" in the world, and there are definitely no imperatives associated with scent purchases, and
    b. If you only rely on your nose, you will wind up with a cupboard full of similar style scents - in my case it would have been full of fougeres.

I made it a point to check out classifications, like the H&R Chart (if you don't have it, I can e-mail you a copy if you IM me your address) and checked out the scents in the categories where I had few of them, and picked the best smelling of those ones as next purchases. Maybe this approach will suit you, maybe it won't, but it could be an amusing exercise.
    Renato

P.S. Another scent that has a discordant note to my nose, which I keep going back to in a manner the same as Herrera, is Lagerfeld Photo. [/quote]

It should prove to be an interestin exercise indeed! I'll IM you my email.

Post Thanks / Like

It should prove to be an interestin exercise indeed! I'll IM you my email.
    The H&R Chart is convenient because it's all in one document. It has it's strong points, especially with the ambery fougeres.

But there are other classifications you can check out - the PerfumeWorld one (their woody spicy classification I like), or the OsMoz one, or the Michael Edwards one (his is better at on the mossy ones).

Unfortunately, the absolute most interesting one was Grant's first fragrance suggestor - a work of brilliance - which is now sadly no longer available.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. * *Another scent that has a discordant note to my nose, which I keep going back to in a manner the same as Herrera, is Lagerfeld Photo.
    That's strange. *I don't get anything discordant from either Herrera or Photo. *I find the initial note in Herrera a little edgy, but certainly not discordant. *I also find that Herrera is not too bad in hot - humid weather either. *I will wear it right up to the very hottest days here and have never found it cloying.

I bought Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera. It is FABULOUS! Never smelled anything like it... *Perfect, perfect, perfect.
    I told you so!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    [quote author=Renato link=1142598732/0#14 date=1142646018]P.S. Another scent that has a discordant note to my nose, which I keep going back to in a manner the same as Herrera, is Lagerfeld Photo.
    That's strange. I don't get anything discordant from either Herrera or Photo. I find the initial note in Herrera a little edgy, but certainly not discordant. I also find that Herrera is not too bad in hot - humid weather either. I will wear it right up to the very hottest days here and have never found it cloying.

I bought Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera. It is FABULOUS! Never smelled anything like it... Perfect, perfect, perfect.
    I told you so!
    [/quote]

Haha, I should listen to you more! In the process of the drydown, I can't help detect the smell of freshly cut vegetables, something like celery? I dunno. Maybe it's just me.