Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default L'Artisan Dzing!: Shoestore in a bottle?

I smelled this one for the first time today from a tester. On my skin, the very first sniff reminded me of being in a shoestore. The leather note was right on top!

And dang if it didn't smell just like brand-new women's shoes!

(P. S. The drydown is ever-so-slightly subtler.)
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: L'Artisan Dzing!: Shoestore in a bottle?

Hmm...smelling my Bulgari Black on my wrist right now, an I actually do get your point... New, high quality leather shoes, which actually has been worn a couple of times:P

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    I smelled this one for the first time today from a tester. On my skin, the very first sniff reminded me of being in a shoestore. The leather note was right on top!

You are very much right, my friend. Dzing! has leather notes right there at the top - very soft leather (yes, a shoe/glove-like). It is unsual this leathery top, but, the scent goes fastly downhill from there: After couple of hours there is nothing more left but this completely flat woody aroma (slightly incense-y) with the weak touch of vanilla and musk.

DISAPOINTING fragrance! >

Dzing!
    This scent makes me sick.

I clearly don't have the experience that you have JaimeB, and unfortunately I have not smelled Dzing!, so I can't constructively add to the question at hand. But to my limited knowledge the most convincing "shoe store" scent I have ever encountered has been DK Fuel. I'll be damned if the first hour or so doesn't replicate that smell to perfection.

Try it from a bottle, my experience is that the sample is not the same.
    Anyhow, I felt a rather animalistic leather, yes, your comparison with shoes maybe correct. But even at the beginning I felt the sweetness, which is not peculiar to shoes

Funny, I didn't get shoes at all, but I definitely got the box they come in. It smells like cardboard to me. I do like it though!

Quote Originally Posted by joxer96 View Post
    Funny, I didn't get shoes at all, but I definitely got the box they come in. It smells like cardboard to me.
    that is my take on Dzing! also. Cardboard. Cardboard that was kept in a hamster cage.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post

JaimeB's review says it all. Spot-on.

I had heard about the cardboard smell before i purchased a bottle, and think i appreciate what was meant by that on my forst whiff. However, it occurred to me that it may not have been the smell of cardboard per se, but the leather-scent infused cardboard of shoeboxes, the way cardboard box of cookies smells like cookies. But what do i know?
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

review is spot on JaimeB

matter of fact it smells of new, shiny leather till mids and then it exudes dust covered leather till base...the perfumer is literally playing with senses here.

I tested Dzing for the first time last week. Though I love leather but this is too much and too "dirty" for me. It gives me headache. And yes, I agree with JaimeB, the leather was right there from the beginning.

today i tried it for the 3rd time

and now i finally get the leatehr smell. it's definitely there and pretty strong. don't know why i didn't notice it bfore - maybe i had a cold or something, who knows.

have only had it on for about 15 minutes today but i'm actually really liking it. let's see how longevity goes since that's my main gripe with L'Artisan

edit: i concluded i don't like the drydown. after an hour or so i don't get leather; i get something animalic and just not me. opening is great though.
    Last edited by union1411; 18th February 2009 at 03:52 PM.

SL Daim Blond
    smells like a
    shoe tore to me
    the smell
    reminds me
    of Nike
    Shoxs
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

The description "shoe store in a bottle" reminds me of Cuir Ottoman... Dzing! is more rank and animal to me, but also sweeter - it's an incontinent biker eating candy floss.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    .....it's an incontinent biker eating candy floss.
    Hah! How about an incontinent biker eating candy floss and peanuts from the shell in the back room of a shoe store.

Does that cover it?

No one mentioned the peanut shells - am I the only one who gets that?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Hah! How about an incontinent biker eating candy floss and peanuts from the shell in the back room of a shoe store.

Does that cover it?

A lot of people smell a cardboard note I simply don't smell at all - perhaps that's it?

Dzing! changes a lot of me depending on how much I apply. A little is slightly-off candy floss; too much is unbearably used-bathroom-ish. The key to my enjoying this fragrance is applying the right amount.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I think I know what you mean. To me it smells like cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think I know what you mean. To me it smells like cardboard.
    I could see it being cardboard. It's possible that my mind latched onto peanut shells because of the circus connection!

I do not get the strong-indolic scent everyone seems to have with Dzing - it smells like a new leather jacket, some small woodiness, and a sugar-sweet scent there as well (candyfloss? Yeah, never use the term, but if cotton candy or caramel candy corn is the odor, thats in Dzing for me).

It is not particularly clean, and at first I thought "Elephant cage" and "cardboard" but once I recognized the smell of a newly tanned leather jacket - I realized how complex and "dirty" an aroma that was.

For those that smell "cardboard" - go and dig your nose in a new leather jacket and then see what you think!

(This isn't the fine stiff thick leather of Knize 10 and REL)
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 18th February 2009 at 02:05 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I'm wearing Dzing! today. I wondered if I would like it. I'm not a particular fan of leather scents, nor do I like sweet/candy scents. Yet I really appreciate this, and I'm so surprised. I think the leather scent is excellent. To me it captures a worn leather jacket that has seen sun and sweat. The middle is the notorious fecal component, and I certainly get that. Yet, I find it to be modulated and artistic -- it is not gross. The horse that produced that product was healthy and ate sweet hay! The drydown is mellow and slightly ambery. This was a learning experience for me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas