Code of Conduct

Default Tenere by Paco Rabanne

Hi all

Can anyone tell me about this one? I'm quite intrigued.

"fresh herbaceous floral spicy ambery woody."

Cheers

Default Re: Tenere by Paco Rabanne

It's a very sweet fragrance, and it smells turkish to me. Does that make sense? I own three original miniatures and once bought a big bottle on ebay. Unfortunately I received a factice bottle with water in it. The seller gave me the money back and advised me to throw it in the bin, which I didn't. Actually I don't know what to do with this bottle.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

fresh - NO
    herbaceous - YES
    floral - YESS!!!
    spicy - LITTLE TO NO
    ambery - NO
    woody - MEDIUM

There's some honey too
    Speaking of the whole composition, it's truly unique.

Here's a few words form archives.

-----------
    TENERE by Paco Rabanne, 1988

The scent starts out with fresh (slightly green) and calm herbal note of dried flowers and herbs. Wandering around some desert you felt that the oasis is somewhere not far from you, whispered prompt from the wind.
    Then comes heart note - subtle and shimmering melody of light spice and flowers with delicate honey note. There are lots of 'dancing' ingredients so I think everyone would get something beautiful on the skin. I can smell honey, jasmine, rose, lily of the valley and maybe anise & carnation (not sure). The interesting thing is that others around me feel some undertones (in my case, flowery) that I can smell on a blotter only. This note leaves a perfect trace.
    The base note is complicated too. Cedar (like that in Rocabar) and prominent but light leather note with a touch of earthy vetiver and patchouli.

The note description (the only one, found at scentdirect.com):
    TOP NOTE: Bergamot, Cassia, Grapefruit, Green Note, Lavender, Lemon, Rosemary
    HEART NOTE: Anise, Artemisia, Carnation, Cinnamon, Honey, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Rose, Tarragon
    BASE NOTE: Amber, Cedar, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Vetiver

It is a very unique scent of some dried flowers, subtle spice, hay, honey, woods and leather.
    The whole scent is glowing and pulsating from the very top til the time it disappears from the skin. I had to be patient with it 'cause at first sniff I found it ...hehe, kinda stale.
    It smells 'faded' but is so beautifully breathtaking. Heard it was not so much of a big commercial success. Once sniffed this, one can easily see that it was out-of-mainstream from its very start in 1988. Although it's year-round, I wear it daytime in colder season and as an evening scent in summer. Could be a good point of any niche fragrance line.
    Got some interesing and surprised looks while wearing it.

As for similarities, top and middle accords are somewhat similar to women's Montana (by Claude Montana) and the dried herbs and hay look like those of RL Polo Crest (without any pine needles though). I must say all similarities are not straightforward. There's nothing like Tenere on the market. Hope 'classics' chains like Marionnaud still carry it.
    BTW as far as Tenere is some region of Sahara desert, I can say Nuit au Desert by Gobin-Daude (a bit feminine to my palate) is completely different take on the desert theme. Both Tenere and NaD are unique and wonderful must-have scents.
    ---------------

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

Dr. Creed & Odor

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated .

It sounds like an interesting composition, but I'm not too sure about the 'sweetness' of it. I'll try to get a mini so I can try it for myself.

cheers

Jambo

I have decants available on my swap list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo
    Hi all

Can anyone tell me about this one? I'm quite intrigued.

"fresh herbaceous floral spicy ambery woody."

Cheers
    Haven't smelled it, but interesting that it has a little bit of everything in it!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I might be crazy but when I first smelled Chergui it reminded me of Teneré. Haven't smelled the latter in many years though so I might be hallucinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    I might be crazy but when I first smelled Chergui it reminded me of Teneré. Haven't smelled the latter in many years though so I might be hallucinating.
    They both share that honey note, but the overall impression of Ténéré is very sweet and Chergui is more on the spicy side.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

It smells like "Caractere" from Daniel Hechter.

This is an all time favorite of mine. Quite original. Haven't really ever came across anything that resembles it. Maybe that's why the fools discontinued it.

Regards,
    Steve