Code of Conduct

Default Arabian Bazaar.com

Arabian Bazaar heads the page again! I have looked into the site, and am intrigued to try and test, even European brands on oil basis. Does anybody have experience? Can you recommend some frag, give a warning of others? Ever since I got my Nawaf, I am convinced I might like more Arabian colognes or perfume.
    What I find also interesting: very different prices! That appears so natural, as ingredients have different costs. An aquamarin is cheaper than a tansanit, but both are beautiful - but try and find that with the stablished lot!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: Arabian Bazaar.com

I remember u asking about Nawaf before. What's it like??? (i know i didnt anser the question, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul
    I remember u asking about Nawaf before. What's it like??? (i know i didnt anser the question, sorry
    I am bad at descriptions: figure something like Gucci Envy and Rochas Lui combined - at the sillage and lasting strength of, say, Knize Ten or Arabie. I think it has cedar plus spices I have not come across yet, no citrus to charm you and rather dry. Miracle and Shogun come to mind with it, but they seem lighter and clean in comparison. I still would not say Nawaf is dark and dirty. Sexy maybe, but young girls might not like it, (my guess).

I wouldn't have asked for ArabianBazaar, if it were not in front of us daily. Their descriptions are not saying much, and yet - the stuff might be good and different.... ?

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I'm surprised that you've got very little resonse from your thread. I'm finding the Arabian/Middle Eastern scent intriguing myself. I 'm still a lttle hesitant on buying blind but would be helpful if we got more insights/feedback.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I answered a query earlier on - http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=185013

There are many varieties of Attars/Perfume oils. Many are single notes, and there are a lot of great blends as well. I'm not so familiar with the names given on the arabian bazaar site, except for a few. I've bought Al Khaleej, Rayyan etc (from a dealer here in my city) - Al Khaleej is a very nice 'fresh' sort of fragrance. The prices they're charging are high, though.

You had better try samples before ordering the oudhs, they can be very strong or intimidating, try before you buy.

From what I've experienced first hand :
    Al Khaleej - Fresh, leafy green.
    Bakhoor - very very sweet fragrance - smells just like tons of sugar.
    White Amber - a woody amber fragrance - single note, I think.
    White Musk - non cloying light musk.
    Pure Sandal - medium strength sandalwood

Now, these might smell different to what I've tried, I have no way of knowing, but the names are similar to those in the shop here. As far as the branded oil types are concerned, I've had experience with 'meera' (similar to drakkar noir), 1881 (of the same name, but very sharp, without the 1881 topnotes), cool water (like the davidoff perfume) etc. Keep in mind that these would be approximations - very good duplicates, and long lasting, but not exactly similar to the originals.
    Finally, I'm not very familiar with the Arabian names of the perfumes given on the site, but I'm sure I would have tried out many of them here, albiet, with other nicknames.

Thanks Aamir- your insights are very helpful. Like you said, their prices are a little high, and I've corresponded with them and requested if they could send me some samples. I'm familiar with singular notes. I had the honor of visiting south India and I purchased a small bottle of sandalwood oil from Mysore when I was there. Wish i was familiar with attars and aouds then:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by AK3D
    I answered a query earlier on - http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=185013

You had better try samples before ordering the oudhs, they can be very strong or intimidating, try before you buy.
    Thank you for coming back on this! I believe these oils and colognes are in a world of their own. But it is easy to get accustomed to them. Montale scents are the bridge, I believe. From the eleven samples I got from Vijay I am definitely convinced that oudh combined with rose or something fruity is easy to love and wear.

Nawaf I was first uncertain about. It has grown on me in the process of familiarization! It is like the most direct unmollified attars / oudhs from Montale. All of these last tremendously well. A welcome and true alternative to great European perfumes, particularly if you are in search for some drier fragrances. They almost put a question mark to the traditional 'oriental' label in french perfumery.
    Last edited by narcus; 2nd August 2006 at 06:11 AM.

Narcus - I got Angel Men perfume oil and love it a lot, it smells better than the original, infact. Another perfume oil I have is Fleurs d'Amour - What a gorgeous fragrance. It opens with a bitter lemon accord and then lasts into a floral/woody combination.. and lasts and lasts even in the heat. Its among my favourites. There's another called 'ice boy' that smells ... well, smells cold and fresh. I've made a mini-collection of Attars since they're cheap and long lasting, and smell DAMN GOOD.

The best person to ask for reviews about some fragrance would be Tom (Sixcats) - he's got some attars, and is probably better at describing them and their notes.

Oud won't be good layered with fruity fragrance. Rather, layer it with flowers. Rose and Oud don't gel well. My perfumer mixed me up a combination of Oud Special (very strong), Amber, White flowers . Oud was a little less than 10% and about 15% amber. Boy, it still dominates the fragrance, oud does. I love this smell - bitter flowers. Next, I've got a very good very spicy fragrance called Khadin - its very 'warm' and spicy, and again, lasts and lasts. I'll rave on and on about them Hehe, I've got some more as well, I just enjoy em .

Aubergene : Pure sandalwood oil is very expensive. I've got some of the diluted stuff, and it still smells very good, actually, its linear, but very sophisticated. Also, there's one WONDERFUL fragrance called Mukammal - it combines Saffron and Sandalwood, boy, lovely.
    The 'oriental' perfume oils smell different than most of the western perfumes actually. Narcus : As to the label oriental, I think it was more of the exotic nature of the word that started the description. Anything with spices would be termed Oriental, no matter what it smelled like.

Orientals or ambers: A large fragrance class featuring the scents of vanilla and animal scents together with flowers and woods. Can be enhanced by camphorous oils and incense resins, which bring to mind Victorian era imagery of the Middle East and Far East.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume#Olfactive_families

To me, Gucci Envy or Gucci Pour Homme in no way invoke a local indian bazaar. You have to smell that for yourself to believe the heady mixture of materials like peppers, spices and the vast difference the perfumes have in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by AK3D
    (1)... Oud won't be good layered with fruity fragrance. Rather, layer it with flowers. Rose and Oud don't gel well...
    (2)... The 'oriental' perfume oils smell different than most of the western perfumes actually. Narcus : As to the label oriental, I think it was more of the exotic nature of the word that started the description. Anything with spices would be termed Oriental, no matter what it smelled like.

(3)... To me, Gucci Envy or Gucci Pour Homme in no way invoke a local indian bazaar. You have to smell that for yourself to believe the heady mixture of materials like peppers, spices and the vast difference the perfumes have in that respect.
    Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate first hand knowledge, and this has a lot of information, it will take a little more to study.

ad 1: My idea about flowers and fruit is based on Montale Black Aoud (or A. Damaskus, Queen Rose) for roses, and their Aoud Lime which is just as convincing (best lasting, too).

ad 2: My impression: European 'orientals' (an established scent family) are not only spicy, they are usually rather sweet, which makes them difficult for me, too easily I get an uncomfortable feeling, bordering illness. The idea was developped in France, probably after Napoleon returned from Egypt, if I am not totally wrong. During the 19th century, Arabic Culture became influential as a whole, a second wave, and on rather broad scale (fashion, art).
    But 'orient' meant near eastern, African countries and the Turkish empire (view point Europe) and south east Asia in a wider sense!
    I have been to several regions, but then had no particular interest and zero knowledge of scents. I am afraid I missed a lot of good sniffing, but I enjoyed the food! I went to body massage in an Indian Spa (Goa), but those oils were not perfumed in a way I might have expected.

ad 3: My reference to Envy & Pour Homme are somewhat misleading, sorry about that. They are the nearest I could get to describe Nawaf. I keep detecting its main note in some Montales and others, like Rochas Lui. I hate to use the comparison, but medicinal - urine-like, or 'dirty' comes near that. You perceive it close to the spot where you sprayed it on the skin. It is neither sweet nor unpleasant, whatever that may be.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th August 2006 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate first hand knowledge, and this has a lot of information, it will take a little more to study.

ad 1: My idea about flowers and fruit is based on Montale Black Aoud (or A. Damskus, Queen Rose) for roses, and their Aoud Lime which is just as convincing (best lasting, too).

ad 2: My impression: European 'orientals' (an established scent family) are not only spicy, they are usually rather sweet, which makes them difficult for me, too easily I get an uncomfortable feeling, bordering illness. The idea was developped in France, probably after Napoleon returned from Egypt, if I am not totally wrong. During the 19th century, Arabic Culture became influential as a whole, a second wave, and rather broad scale (fashion, art).
    But 'orient' meant near eastern, African countries and the Turkish empire (view point Europe) and south east Asia in a wider sense!
    I have been to several regions, but then had no particular interest and zero knowledge of scents. I am afraid I missed a lot of good sniffing, but I enjoyed the food! I went to body massage in an Indian Spa (Goa), but those oils were not perfumed in a way I might have expected.

ad 3: My reference to Envy & Pour Homme are somewhat misleading, sorry about that. They are the nearest I could get to describe Nawaf. I keep detecting its main note in some Montales and others, like Rochas Lui. I hate to use the comparison, but medicinal - urine-like, or 'dirty' comes near that. You perceive it close to the spot where you sprayed it on the skin. It is neither sweet nor unpleasant, whatever that may be.
    Hi Narcus,
    -
    for 1) - I checked out a couple of rather strong materials - the oud I smelled was VERY potent, you could smell it from like 10 feet away and it'd turn up your nose. The rose I was referring to was Bulgarian rose attar. A good perfumer could of course mix up a good perfume in the quantities required. (For example the shop I went to - the perfumer made me a nice mix of Oud, amber and white flowers - he knew almost the exact proportions to put in so that it'd smell nice. There were just a few drops of oud, more of amber and the rest was flowers so.... )

2) Gucci pour home comes across as very dry and heavy to me - it borders more towards the attar type to me more than anything else. Unfortunately, I've not had any experience with Montales except for their Vetiver (speaking of which, I have Vetiver (khus) attar, and it smells vastly different since its a linear note). Hehe, its never too late, next time when you take a trip, you'll have a great time sniffing and purchasing!

3) Grin, 'twas me who referred to envy and PH, I've not smelled Nawaf so I can't comment. Not sure what the note could be, actually.

I've not been much help, but I sure hope you enjoy the perfume oil experience