Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your worst frag gift ever?

Last night I was thinking about an unfortunate event caused by clueless relatives...

From age 10 to 14, almost every male relative of mine (much older uncles, grandfathers, etc) decided to get me cologne/aftershave for xmas and bday gifts. The ones I can remember best were La Pinaud (a huge bottle of aftershave) and Stetson (a gift set complete with cologne, aftershave, and powder).
    Regardless of these scents' actual charms, I found them nauseating at that young age, and I never wore them.
    When I was about 14, my mom told me to get rid of all those bottles of cologne that I never wore. In my infinite 14-year-old wisdom, I thought it would be best if I poured them out in my sink.

Needless to say, the stench of 7-8 bottles of very strong cologne permeated the entire house for several hours, even with windows open (and this was in the winter).

Nowadays, no one buys me cologne anymore. I wonder if my mom had anything to do with that.

What's the worst frag you've ever received?

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Default Re: Your worst frag gift ever?

Adidas Moves...

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Last night I was thinking about an unfortunate event caused by clueless relatives...

From age 10 to 14, almost every male relative of mine (much older uncles, grandfathers, etc) decided to get me cologne/aftershave for xmas and bday gifts. The ones I can remember best were La Pinaud (a huge bottle of aftershave) and Stetson (a gift set complete with cologne, aftershave, and powder).
    Regardless of these scents' actual charms, I found them nauseating at that young age, and I never wore them.
    When I was about 14, my mom told me to get rid of all those bottles of cologne that I never wore. In my infinite 14-year-old wisdom, I thought it would be best if I poured them out in my sink.

Needless to say, the stench of 7-8 bottles of very strong cologne permeated the entire house for several hours, even with windows open (and this was in the winter).
    If people buy me gifts i am always grateful for their kindness

Nowadays, no one buys me cologne anymore.

-ben
    ..or anything else i bet

I got obsession after shave once - well before I had started shaving! :-/

Exquisite_Darkness- I am grateful for their kindness. I just happened to be a 14-year-old who didn't like Stetson or Brut (not only that, but they made me feel sick).

The purpose of the post wasn't to belittle other people's gifts, but to maybe get a feel for what people like/don't like receiving.

And people did not stop giving me gifts just because because I didn't like Stetson. The next year, I received four fishing rods. Seriously. And I love every one of them.

I have to say, you sure put a damper on what I thought would be a light-hearted post.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Basenotes Plus

English Leather giftset, came with a soap that was attached on a rope, wow! I appreciated the gift, but just didn't like the fragrance, too old and heavy.
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Guerlain Arsene Lupin (Dandy)

3. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Pour Homme
    4. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    5. Guerlain Heritage (any formulation)

Decants for swap: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/403...mples-for-Swap
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

angel by thierry mugler men and women sorry but it makes me physically sick
    Invisible Power

HAHA, I was gonna mention both Stetson and English Leather actually ;D

Best frag gift: CK Be

I've always gotten good fragrance gifts. Or else I've gotten the gift and then decided to like the scent: Drakkar Noir, Signoricci, Canoe, they're all good by me. Since I started this hobby though, friends have taken to giving me the scent gifts they get but don't like. Thus I've been given English Leather and D&G PH.

Another fun part of scent from other people is when girlfriends tell you what scent they want you to go out and buy for yourself. Wear Aramis or no nookie, said one. As a result I've got great associations with Aramis.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Caesars Man. I still keep that bottle.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

The one and only bottle that I have thrown to the garbage bin (after keeping it for some years-enough for its genetic mutation to something worst than the original) :
    OLD SPICE WHITEWATER !
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Lalique Flora Bella was awful

Farenheit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Exquisite_Darkness- I am grateful for their kindness. I just happened to be a 14-year-old who didn't like Stetson or Brut (not only that, but they made me feel sick).

The purpose of the post wasn't to belittle other people's gifts, but to maybe get a feel for what people like/don't like receiving.

And people did not stop giving me gifts just because because I didn't like Stetson. The next year, I received four fishing rods. Seriously. And I love every one of them.

I have to say, you sure put a damper on what I thought would be a light-hearted post.

-ben
    i agree with ben

Haha I received English Leather Spice on my eleventh birthday from my uncle....I had no idea what was going on. I hated it - all I wanted was X-Men action figures. I thought this was what older kids must wear, so I wore this to school once (don't ask how I applied it), and received about 15 sneezes from others throughout the day. It turns out my brother actually bought it on his own about a year ago, he is 26 and into some of the heavier classic stuff. To each his own!

B*Men from my mother. I wear it when I visit her, and I feel sad when I put it on -that poor woman, i think. and her apple cinnamon candles >.< She's a monster!! It's just too impetuous for my nose [no offense, Mom o]
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

hahahaha ;D

i just gave my friend's little brother some perry man and GPH for his barmitzvah.

deo stick versions of course

It wouldn't say it was bad but the worst frag gift I recieved was Benneton Cold.
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

Brut from my ex mother -in-law.EVERY Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    Adidas Moves...
    That's not so bad at all, I prefer it to Cool Water! Just glad that not everybody takes it seriously in my part of the world, so I can wear it without being a clone. One of the best drugstore scents I've ever smelled!

In my experience, no one has ever bought a scent for me, guess they haven't caught on that I'm maniacal scent junkie, but I remember a friend receiving a gift set of Maja, the epitomy of an old lady's scent given to my twenty-something friend. I'm really not sure what she did with it, probably used it as a repellent for four-legged creatures raiding her trashcan. Hehe!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Back in da day jovan musk and english leather. But I miss them both. I do, they bring back memories. Oooh I forgot chaps do anybody remember chaps. I kinda miss chaps too

Lol. Did most of us get brut for christmas I think I got brut for men for a christmas present maybe 6 times. The shaving cream and all even back when I was a young teen. I used the deodorant when times got hard. Now did anybody like brut.......anybody....lol

My first after shave was Caractère by Daniel Hechter, a gift also. I was 14 years old, and when I wait another 30 years I can actually start using it.

Shulton's Desert Flower Cologne & matching dusting powder. I got it in the Xmas grad bag at school in 1971. Oh, god, it was bad. Bad gone bad.... [smiley=tongue.gif] [smiley=tongue.gif] [smiley=tongue.gif] a triple-tongue gagger! LOL [smiley=grin.gif]
    Like it had been lying around the counter at Goldblatt's dept store about 12 mos. before this person bought it or something. What I had really wanted was a bottle of Skinny Dip cologne (in time I came to realize, even worse than the Desert Flower LOL), and got all excited when I saw the plastic perfume-shaped case. Then I opened it... [smiley=rolleyes.gif] Oh well...it's the thought that counts, right? [smiley=rolleyes.gif] [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Navy for Men. From a student. She meant well.

years ago, before i really got interested in fragrance, my sister gave me a bottle of Bijan DNA for Men. at the time i just thought it was ghastly. who knows, if i were to smell today, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

.....Curve. And that was just this Christmas past. The tin was dented and there was a funny looking SKU sticker on the bottom which was stuck on top of the original. I didn't even bother to try returning it anywhere.

Macho. The poor man's "Brut". It even had an extra wide mouth for sips.
    You are not your perfume.

A bottle of Chaps Ralph Lauren... back when I was 8.

I hated it then, and I still hate it now.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

Support Xscentrik - The World's First Crowdfunded Fragrance Store: http://igg.me/at/xscentrik/x/11176018

Boss Selection last x-mas....
    Burberry Weekend...the x-mas before that...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe