Code of Conduct

Default My first impressions of touted frags!

I got my package of samplers this evening from luckyscents.com (sooner than I expected).
    ;D ;D
    This is the first time that I've smelled any of these frags, and it has been overwhelming- in a very good way, of course.

Here's what I think:

Dzing!
    At first- smoke, rubber, carmel, leather, sandalwood/incense, more rubber, popcorn, musk/animals, peanuts. It smells like a hot, hot day at the state fair, with a slight breeze blowing jasmine and rose blossoms through the concession stands. There is one very persistent sweet note that I just can't put my finger on. This frag brings back strong memories of places I had forgotten about. Intoxicating. I put a drop of this on my wrist before I took a shower, and it was very much still there after I had gotten out and had some dinner. I will wear this, but not to work. This would be fantastic at christmas dinner or intimate time during the snowy months. However, I don't see this as a very romantic fragrance. It grabs your attention, though. I highly recommend that anyone interested in frags smells this at least once in their life. the drydown: is this some kind of sweet cherry i'm smelling? Cherries and hay. Another hour, and the smell gets even better, with some vanilla joining the fray.

Tubereuse (L'artisan)
    slightly sweet, effervescent rose floral. honeysuckle-sweet without cloying. reminds me of pollen, gardens. strong lilac accord. It fades away quickly and the ylang-ylang starts to come out. This frag is a bit too mature for my girlfriend (24), in my opinion. I would buy this for an older woman only if I knew her tastes very well. This would smell good on a sun-dress in the summer, maybe on an evening stroll. Drydown: seems to mellow and turn almost melony/fruity in a good way.

Mure et Musc
    Starts off with very beautiful citrus notes: lime, bergamot? Refreshing. Some people have mentioned berries, but to me they are very faint. The berries seem to combine with the citrus to create an entirely new scent. Notes of rose, ylan-ylang, very light musk. This would be very nice on a man or a woman in the summer. It might be my nose, but it seems to be fading pretty fast. It might just be my skin, too. It leaves me with a very fresh, powdery, soapy feeling. I once smelled some bath salts that smelled exactly like this. I tried to eat it, but it was bitter. Oh yeah, i was like 5. Amazing what a scent can revive. Drydown: very clean smell. The original citrus has faded, leaving the fresh laundry smell without the cloying fruit of other colognes. I had trouble telling where i applied it, since it smells just like my laudry! Since I put this on 45 minutes ago, it has become almost undetectable.

Timbuktu (L'Artisan)
    Have you ever smelled Sen-Sens breath fresheners? the little black chunks that came in an envelope-type thing? This smells EXACTLY like Sen-Sens. Very incensy. The cadamom brings a camphor accord. This manages to smell like both my grandma and my uncle at the same time. Very classy, mature scent. I might be able to get away with this scent at the gym or at a bar with friends, but probably not a romantic date. This projects some real energy; if you wore this while you were tired and lazy, people would be confused. I'll have to get some second opinions on this. The patchouli really starts to come out in the drydown.

Passage d'Enfer (L'Artisan)
    MMM! It starts out as lily, but then it transforms into incense without losing all of the original lily. A man could wear this, but to me it smells very motherly. Clean sheets in a closet. This smell filled me with a feeling of comfort and well-being. A girl my age could use this in moderation. I think the reason that I say that these frags should be worn by older people is that they aren't dripping in musk and sex and virility. This scent would be at home on a nun or a mother. It's not a romantic scent to me, but it could become one. mmmmm.... those lilies are amazing. Drydown: fabric softener from heaven. Don't wear this to a board meeting if you're trying to be a bad-ass.

Mechant Loup (l'Artisan)
    The cedar hit me first, then the hazelnut, and then the licorice. The headier scents ride a creamy heart of honey. Just like they say, it's sweet but menacing. There is a note in common with Dzing; is it myrrh? This frag smells very good. I keep noticing something- this is definitely similar to dzing. This has the allure and depth of dzing, but it is less assertive. It's hard to imagine ANYONE not liking this scent, but if it was over-applied it would be a little too much. I would wear this on winter evenings and rainy summer days. Drydown: the cedar mellows and the hazelnut comes out more. I think that this scent is just a tad more masculine than dzing. Pretty unforgettable, just like the rest of the Artisans.

Tea for Two (l'Artisan)
    Starts with heady camphor/eucalyptus. Dark tea, ginger, honey, cardamom. This scent is unique. Come to think of it, other people are right; this does smell like hot, spicy chai tea. If I could get rid of that astringent eucalyptus note this might work as a romantic scent. I'll check during the drydown. It's beginning to get that back-of-the-throat sweetness that dzing and mechant loup had. There is a Glade plugin that smells solely of that sweetness; I wish i could remember the particular scent.

Gendarme
    Starts out with the citrus and the smell of freshly-cut plant stems. Not exactly spicy, but not dull. The citrus fades into the background and green scents take center stage. This is the exact opposite of dzing (I suppose dzing is my new benchmark). Gendarme is very straightforward and pleasing. It is not warm, but it invites closer inspection. I think i can smell lilies. I don't see why this couldn't be a unisex fragrance. It could be very appealing on the right type of woman: confident, assertive, honest. This scent truly does smell 'soapy' but it's a good thing. It might be a little too dry and clean for me, but I know people who would love this. Yeah, even after it dries for a while, it's a little too antiseptic for me.

Sequoia (Comme des Garcons)
    oh yes! This is just pure wood. I smell cedar first, some pine sap, sandalwood, more. It really does smell like a very fragrant forest. Or a cedar chest. You choose. The red rum that people talk about is missing for me; it could be my nose. To me, this is a straightforward frag, and that it why I like it. This is one of the testers that really caught my attention before i started my testing in earnest. I will have to decide whether or not this scent is suitable for regular use; it would make a great incense, but i'm not sure how well it would work as a cologne. I guess there's only one way to find out. This is a very interesting scent.

Eau de Cedre (Heeley)
    another woody scent. At first I thought that this was a feminine scent, but after a few seconds it's apparent that this is not. I don't think I could even PAY my girlfriend to wear this. This is the way a logger would smell after cutting and shredding cedar all day. Moss, dirt, sandalwood, skin, fresh air, water... this is obviously designed to smell natural, and it succeeds. Very wet and dirty fragrance, with an undertone of sunscreen. Not a scent for the club, but maybe the corner bar or just out for a walk. This might not be a hit with the ladies, but who knows. I like it. If I had a bottle, I'd probably wear it when I was alone, relaxing, looking for peace and quiet.

So there you have it. Tonight has been a wonderful night, as it marks my first whiffs of fine perfume. Of course, I have to thank the basenotes crew for getting me started on this whole new obsession of mine. I'll report more as my nose gets used to the scents and I get more out of them.

Cheers!
    -ben

Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My first impressions of touted frags!

Grats on your siff-a-thon. I love Tea for Two but I can't seem to get my hands on it nowadays.
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great read. I love L'Artisane and I think you are becoming somewhat of a fan yourself. I personally like Dzing! and Tea for Two the most out of your grouping.

Great reviews. Thanks for sharing your impressions. You have chosen some of the more evocative fragrances, and it's nice to hear your associations. For some reason Dzing! just has that effect on some people - I always have all kinds of crazy associative memories and thoughts when wearing this. For me, the images are of a farm in the summer: sawdust, hay, animals, the tractor (?!), and honey. The only fragrance more evocative for me is Chergui. Both are in my top five.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like

Very good reviews man!

I think the myrrh is present in many of the L'Artisans, especially PdE, ML & Timbuktu.

Regards,
    mmm

Nice reviews, and welcome to the Dzing fanclub ;D
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Great rundown! Love PdF; there's a soapy/clean aspect to it from the lily that is like a shower in a schoolroom. The cedar in this is not merely pencil, it is lead.

Also good to hear about the Heeley: I've been interested in both that and the 06130 Cedre.

Sequoia didn't work for me. I believe the Redrum note was damp like a liniment, so it must have healing properties, just not on my skin. However, I got an immediate compliment on it, but then I wore it only once more. L'Artisan Tubereuse is a nice, thin interpretation of tuberose that is redundant if you have collected others in the same category (MPG, for example). Also linear. Same for Timbuktu, which I dance around buying.

Doncha just love Luckyscent? (But what's with those price hikes lately????)

Wonderful reviews! I loved to read you impressions on Dzing! That one really takes me places.

Post Thanks / Like

A great read!

I share most of your opinions and you certainly tested the best of l'Artisan, although they're practically all super!

Post Thanks / Like

Great reviews!! Keep on reviewing, man!
    Well, Tea for two smelt too sweet for me... Cloying to the extreme, specially in hot weather...
    I didn't care about Passage d'enfer either... Anyway, I'm not a big niche fan...
    The fragrance that really interested me was gendarme!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it up Ben, you have a sharp nose and a real way with words. very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent reviews, Ben, can't wait for your next installments.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent reviews! Thanks for taking the time to write them.

Post Thanks / Like

For a newbie, I gotta commend you for the excellent reviews you've written. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. As for your next L'artisan to test, I highly recommend Bois Farine! Keep on posting dude. I can't wait to hear more from you.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys! 8-)

After a full day with Gendarme on my arm, I have to say that it smells very much like sunscreen. More specifically, we were issued a combo sunscreen/bug repellent when we went overseas, and it smelled exactly like Gendarme. I'm still not sure how I feel about wearing it as a cologne :P

I am wearing Dzing! today, and it does smell great. A girl in my class today said it was so-so, but I think she's a fan of drier woods; she'd probably like the Sequoia by CdG.

Mechant loup is also growing on me. It's a little less ostentatious than Dzing, and I would consider it more appropriate for daily wear. The Tea for Two has faded into a fantastic light tea/honey/cream scent, but it's not very noticeable.

By the way, the CdG Sequoia is still very noticeable (while faint) on my skin, while the Heeley Cedre has faded completely away. If you use Sequoia, go light!

I think I'll wear Tea for Two tomorrow, unless my next shipment arrives tonight. My next two frags are Creed GIT and Bulgari PH; they should be here tonight or tomorrow night. I'll be sure to let you know what I think about them.

Take it easy, y'all

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys! *8-)

After a full day with Gendarme on my arm, I have to say that it smells very much like sunscreen. More specifically, we were issued a combo sunscreen/bug repellent when we went overseas, and it smelled exactly like Gendarme. I'm still not sure how I feel about wearing it as a cologne *:P

I am wearing Dzing! today, and it does smell great. A girl in my class today said it was so-so, but I think she's a fan of drier woods; she'd probably like the Sequoia by CdG.

Mechant loup is also growing on me. It's a little less ostentatious than Dzing, and I would consider it more appropriate for daily wear. The Tea for Two has faded into a fantastic light tea/honey/cream scent, but it's not very noticeable.

By the way, the CdG Sequoia is still very noticeable (while faint) on my skin, while the Heeley Cedre has faded completely away. If you use Sequoia, go light!

I think I'll wear Tea for Two tomorrow, unless my next shipment arrives tonight. My next two frags are Creed GIT and Bulgari PH; they should be here tonight or tomorrow night. I'll be sure to let you know what I think about them.

Take it easy, y'all

-ben
    Hahahahahaha, somebody else said the same thing about Gendarme last week!

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    After a full day with Gendarme on my arm, I have to say that it smells very much like sunscreen. More specifically, we were issued a combo sunscreen/bug repellent when we went overseas, and it smelled exactly like Gendarme. I'm still not sure how I feel about wearing it as a cologne :P
    Yes yes yes! Reminders of traveling overseas and wearing sunblock at the beach are exactly what I get from Gendarme---see this thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1140997300

I'm likewise hesitant to wear Gendarme. It seems to give me an almost subconscious sense of having a sunburn; it's probably a conditioned response, certainly a strange and rather unpleasant experience.

Oh, yeah, and as a bunch of folks already wrote: great reviews!
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!