Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Could anybody explain me?

Hi Folks!
    These days I've been thinking about the concept of "Black" and "Silver" in fragrances...
    When we see a fragrance called "something Red" we know for sure what to expect: a sweet scent.
    The same with a fragrance with "something Blue": we expect something as sea breeze, watery...
    But what should we expect when we see Polo Black? Kenneth Cole Black? Black XS? Is there a consensus about what the term "black" means in perfumery?? The "black" scents seem to be so different from each other!! And the same goes for the term "silver"... Was It created to project the image (and smell) of something metallic, cold? :-?

Default Re: Could anybody explain me?

You have 3 scenarios:

1. The perfumer wants to artistically represent the actual color named in the title

2. Represent their clothing label line

3. They could call it "Essence de feces" if they wanted to and it be a floral scent with no civet note e.g. a random assigned title.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    You have 3 scenarios:
    3. They could call it "Essence de feces" if they wanted to and it be a floral scent with no civet note e.g. a random assigned title.
    LOL! LOL! LOL! ;D

Oh, brainstorm - the next new thing in fragrance will be Titanium!
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Oh, brainstorm - the next new thing in fragrance will be Titanium!
    Already been done ... Lamborghini Titanium (2001)
    ..."net", not "naut".

Black seems to try to extend the olfactory communication of sophisticated with cool notes of "black". I don't even think they were trying to communicate the feeling of formal. I, on the other hand, when hearing the word black I expect something dark, yes sophisticated, with an overall velvety feel, and just perhaps a little formal. Gucci Envy should've/would've been a nice "Black".

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have thought the concept should have been equivalent to Black label (i.e. premium stuff) or Black tie and Silver service - along the styles of Creed's GIT Bottle. But it doesn't work out that way.

I have MCM's "Black and Silver" - a very pleasant scent, but it doesn't go along with any such concept.
    Renato

To me, "Black" scents are not the light and floral or powedery scents, but more the heavy scents that remind you of a cool evening breeze, the smell of an armani jacket, or velvet and leather. The sort of scents that smell fantastic with formal evening wear, but wouldn't smell right on a sporty, or blue jeans and t-shirt person.

That's the ironic thing. These new "Black" scents smells perfect for blue jeans! Okay, well maybe with a black t-shirt instead.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    That's the ironic thing. These new "Black" scents smells perfect for blue jeans! Okay, well maybe with a black t-shirt instead.

Come to think of it, you're right... I could easily imagine myself walking around in a black shirt and blue jeans wearing CK Obsession Night

Well - a very interesting topic
    For me Red scents are rather spicy than sweet (maybe because of CdG Red series)
    White scents are something light, floral or soapy... Some chypre scents which turn into soap on my skin are white for me
    Blue scents a re definitely aquatic like Sandflowers, Dune, Aquawoman
    Silver - Sandal I don't know why by fragrances with dominating sandal are silver for me
    And maybe insense (Passage d'Enfer is silver)
    Yellow is Vanilla
    Pink - candy or berries and fruits
    Green - well, green and grassy
    Black is the most wide and difficult to describe group. Definitely insense, but not warm
    Smoky and tabacco, resins.
    Brown - amber and some orientals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    That's the ironic thing. *These new "Black" scents smells perfect for blue jeans! *Okay, well maybe with a black t-shirt instead.
    well thats because they fail at being black. Polo Yellow and Kenneth Cole Who-Gives-a-@#%! would have been *more like it.
    A Black frag, to me is epitomized by Drakkar Noir (the actual frag, not the aura/debate/reputation/cultural importance/etc that surrounds it). It is badass and sexy as hell. the mysterious Bvlgari Black is another great black in kind of a off-kilter way, though i think it may be too rounded and warm to work into what i conceptualize as a Black Frag. It needs to be sahrper, more aggressive and acute. Or Black, which Ive never had the pleasure of smelling, sounds like it could really not be anymroe black. Envy has been listed as a potential Black, and I'd add Rive Gauche.

Silver -fresh and a bit spicy
    Black... Hmm... Since we have Drakkar Noir, Bulgari Black, Polo Black, KC Black etc. and all of them smell very different it's hard to associate this color with anything particular.

For me those are only marketing denominations that, in the great majority of the cases, have little or nothing to do with the actual scent in its perceptive reality.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe