Code of Conduct

Default My 3 Day Adventure with Geir

Well, I finally had the chance to get my hands on some Geir. A rather small sized decant but enough to fully test the scent out.

Wednesday (Day 1): Sprayed some on at about 8:30 am in the morning. I sprayed once on the neck and twice on the chest. Started driving to school and I kept getting this sweet and cloying smell coming off of me. So cloying that I really couldnít pick up any individual notes from the sillage it was producing. I remember in an early post someone suggested a light application to actually enjoy the true magic of Geir, but unfortunately I think I screwed up. I thought I should retest this the next day. One of the things I noticed was even with an EDP concentration and three sprays; I only got a really good 4 to 5 hours of this stuff. Pretty much gone after noon hour. *

Thursday (Day 2): Went with two sprays this time. Got this really cloying sweetness at first but it dried down to a very mellow sweet scent with a hint of freshness, I think I pick up a slight mint note but Iím not too sure. I thought it was okay but again I didnít really have too much time with this one, because it basically disappeared off my skin after about 3 to 4 hours. Really ticked off, I ended up retesting it after my night shower. Just one spray to the chest and I let it settle down for an hour before heading to bed. Smells like sweet fresh air with a very slight mint/herb undertone, which is really hard to detect.

Friday (Day 3, today): Sprayed twice on my chest again. Soon after I couldnít really detect anything. I think after about 3 straight days of wearing it, my nose has gotten use to the smell. I think I need to take a break and come back to this one a little later. Itís really funny to see how your nose adapts to new scents so quickly, one reason I can never wear the same scent everyday, I need to smell what Iím wearing. With the issue of longevity, itís really weird; I never really had an issue with longevity unless it was a scent commonly know for poor longevity (ex. Mania). I guess with not enough sprays you donít get enough longevity, and with too much it becomes thick, sweet and cloying, kind of weird this one.

Overall, I thought the scent was okay but nothing really to rave about. I think I still need to test it out some more. It usually takes me a while to really enjoy a scent. Took me a year to enjoy Rive Gauche and a couple of wearings to truly appreciate Dior Homme. *

I guess I'll come back to this one.

Default Re: My 3 Day Adventure with Geir

nsamadi, I have tested Geir three or four times, and my reaction to it is pretty much the same as yours: it is ok, but nothing to rave about.

I also agree with you that sometimes it takes several wearings of a fragrance to learn to appreciate it. *So, I am willing to give Geir some more test wearings. *Maybe someday, this scent will reveal more of itself to me.

Rockford, thanks for the reply.

Well, I just got home right now, and I'm really tried and I've been coughing all day. I think I'm going to stay home this Friday and just relax and listen to some tunes. Sprayed some Geir on my wrist again so I can hold it close to my nose. I think one of the flaws with Geir is that it's just way too much happening all at once. On one hand this kind of minty/herbal and then it's sweet but icy fresh at the same time. I think this is why it gets so cloying at times, because there's so much happening all at once, and it doesn't really develop. It's like spraying from a bottle and getting the top, middle and base notes all at once. I also find this synthetic quality to it.

In the past it usually takes me about 3 to 5 test runs with a fragrance to see if I like it or not, and so far it's okay. Not a very well made perfume but okay smelling overall, but definitely something I'll get bored with quickly.

Thrax

To fully appreciate Geir, you need to take a shower, spray once on your wrist. Make sure your nostrils are not clogged or stopped up, and then enjoy it.

Glad to here that you got to wear the Geir. For me, its an off and on type of fragrance. Somehow it really shines in the cold, so maybe give it a rest until you catch a cold day. Normally i like a warm scent in the cold and a fresh/cooling scent in the heat, but Geir is weird. It is fresh, yet better in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by FatTony
    Glad to here that you got to wear the Geir. For me, its an off and on type of fragrance. Somehow it really shines in the cold, so maybe give it a rest until you catch a cold day. Normally i like a warm scent in the cold and a fresh/cooling scent in the heat, but Geir is weird. It is fresh, yet better in the cold.
    FatTony, Thanks for the good info! *I think I will benefit from your experience. *I will be giving Geir some more test wearings.*

I've been trying it out myself. I get lots of sillage for a while, then it wears pretty close. Though the main notes I get are freshly cut grass and some hay-ish, wildflower stuff. It kind of conjures up an image of a chalet at the base of a mountain with a well-manicured lawn and some wildflowers growing at the base of the mountain. My problem is that I am allergic to freshly cut grass, as well as some wildflowers, so it's not as great a scent for me as it might sound! I was pretty disappointed with this one, and really glad I went with the tester and didn't blind buy, as I was thinking I might. Overall, it's not as rich or long-lasting as I had thought it would be based on reviews. Oh yeah, and I can totally see that this would work better in the cold despite being "fresh." I think in warm weather the grass and hay notes would overwhelm me.

I tested it yesterday. It made me think of Givenchy Pi diluted to an EDC or an aftershave. A very light and sweet oriental.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos3
    I tested it yesterday. It made me think of Givenchy Pi diluted to an EDC or an aftershave. A very light and sweet oriental.
    That's EXACTLY what I thought when I first bought Geir. I didn't even get any floral notes. But once you wear it more, you'll start to realize all the different facets that you never noticed before.

I'd stick with it, because this is a really fantastic scent. I think that the first hour, or even a little more can be a little annoying. Not bad mind you, and it certainly doesn't ruin the scent for me, just after a couple hours it becomes truly great. Like other people may have told you, spray it somewhat far away from the body. Somewhere in-between spraying it directly on the body and walking through mist. I bet it lasts longer than you think also, it's just hard to tell anymore. The times I've gotten compliments on it have been hours after I've put it on. The drydown is just so warm an comforting, yet fresh at the same time! Keep trying, and hopefully you'll come around.