Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Tabarome (Harumph, harumph.....)  

I purchased a vial of this almost two months ago. My first impression was that it was too stong for me. Wore it once, sniffed it a couple of more times, but that was it. Fast forward to today. Maybe I'm ready for a change from the lighter scents I've been wearihg lately, because I suddenly really like it! For those that have sniffed it, you know that its a real 180 from other Creeds like Milleseme Imperial, GIT, etc.

For those Basenotes Illuminati that like this one, please chime in. If you wear it to work, what type of office environment to you work in?

Thanks!

There is no Nose....

Default Re: Vintage Tabarome (Harumph, harumph.....)  

I, too, love Vintage Tabarome. I don't often wear VT to work, but sometimes I just want to feel a little more powerful. I work with in an office with a small staff (12 to 16) of scientists and IT staff. When I wear stronger stuff like Bois du Portugal or VT, I wear it sparingly, so as not to offend. I've received compliments on both scents and have been told it is not too strong, so I think these can be worn at work if applied judiciously.

Default Re: Vintage Tabarome (Harumph, harumph.....) *

I just answered a related post for my now undying love for this scent; I just recently got a decant, and I simply love this Tobacco scent.

Very long lasting!
    Apply sparingly!

This ties for my favorite tobacco scent with Havana. It's my favorite Creed and I like it way more than Tabarome Millesime (which lacks balance IMO). Unlike many other Creeds, this one actually lasts on me!

Sheer class and compelling elegance. Worth its weight in gold.

Is there a big difference between Vintage Tabarome and Tabarome millesime? I have a sample of the new Tabarome and really wanted and tried to like it. I must say I can't see why it's so well liked. I find the ginger note in it to be WAY too strong and overpowering compared to the other notes. I can see (or smell) what this frag can be but the heavy ginger note just kills it for me. Is the Vintage any better in this respect? Can anyone explain the difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Vavoom
    Sheer class and compelling elegance. Worth its weight in gold.
    Second that!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobert
    Is there a big difference between Vintage Tabarome and Tabarome millesime? I have a sample of the new Tabarome and really wanted and tried to like it. I must say I can't see why it's so well liked. I find the ginger note in it to be WAY too strong and overpowering compared to the other notes. I can see (or smell) what this frag can be but the heavy ginger note just kills it for me. Is the Vintage any better in this respect? Can anyone explain the difference between them.
    I don't smell any ginger in Vintage Tabarome. It's better than Tabarome Millesime, in my
    opinion. For me it's a great scent for anywhere that you are not in really close quarters with
    anyone else. This fragrance lasts and projects. It's fine for most office environments, and it's
    definitely a 5-star fragrance when compared with so much of what's out there.

I think Creed tried to "freshen up" tabarome by bringing out Tabarome Millesime, but I still prefer
    the Vintage version.

The SA for Creed in Berdorf Goodman on 5th Avenue showed me a list of all Creed fragrances and it showed that Vintage Tabarome is an EDP. That answered my question as to why it lasts longer than some other Creed's.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    [quote author=Mobert link=1138756841/0#5 date=1138774964]Is there a big difference between Vintage Tabarome and Tabarome millesime? I have a sample of the new Tabarome and really wanted and tried to like it. I must say I can't see why it's so well liked. I find the ginger note in it to be WAY too strong and overpowering compared to the other notes. I can see (or smell) what this frag can be but the heavy ginger note just kills it for me. Is the Vintage any better in this respect? Can anyone explain the difference between them.
    I don't smell any ginger in Vintage Tabarome. *It's better than Tabarome Millesime, in my
    opinion. *For me it's a great scent for anywhere that you are not in really close quarters with
    anyone else. *This fragrance lasts and projects. *It's fine for most office environments, and it's
    definitely a 5-star fragrance when compared with so much of what's out there.

I think Creed tried to "freshen up" tabarome by bringing out Tabarome Millesime, but I still prefer
    the Vintage version.
    [/quote]

Well said. To me Tabarome Millesime is really bitter and lacks the sweet tobacco leaf that Vintage Tabarome has. Vintage Tabarome is sheer class IMO. It's one of the few Creeds that are actually worth spending money on, especially if tobacco is your thing. I hate the ginger in Tabarome Millesime BTW.

Lurve it. Completely different from any of the other Creeds. It took me a while to warm up to it, but now I always feel like a million bucks (literally) when I wear it. It's definitely a "special occasion" fragrance.

I've got to disagree.

I've got a full bottle of this from one purchase, and another 50mls from a combined bottle purchase with other Basenotes friends. Sadly, the stuff still just doesn't knock me out. On me it seems too subtle, it doesn't project after an hour, and its tobacco qualities hide behind the iris and maybe carnation. The stuff just doesn't spike, and doesn't call out to be noticed. And no one notices it on me. It doesn't even make me feel happy while I'm wearing it, which the newer Creed tobacco creation, new Tabarome does.

I wore vintage Tabarome yesterday, when I spent most of the day in a library, and it was pretty doggone boring and uninteresting the whole time I sat reading old newspaper clippings at a beige table. No scent delight to make the dull scene interesting. I didn't get any sillage feeling either, but this morning in the shower I did notice a remainder of the iris/carnation, so maybe something was there, however uselessly faint.

This vintage Tab just doesn't think it needs to do any work. It doesn't think it has to go out and seduce anyone's nose.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

To me it always smelled like mothballs and the like. You know how you go to a real dive bar and have to use the restroom, and its got one of those big pink urinal cakes- alot of them remind me of vintage tabarome.

He-he, last year I had some samples. One was that really good Himalaya sample. The other was Vintage tab. I had begun to get alot of compliments on Himalaya...so one day, in a hurry I grabbed the sample vial, put it in my pocket and went to work. When I got there I pulled it out and doused myself with what I thought was Himalaya...Oh, Sh!t! This isn't Himalaya...Oh no! Tabarome!!! There was nothing I could do at this point so I just went with it. It turned out not being too bad. i don't know if my coworkers liked it or not- but it didn't kill me. i might do it again sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    I've got to disagree.

I've got a full bottle of this from one purchase, and another 50mls from a combined bottle purchase with other Basenotes friends. *.........This vintage Tab just doesn't think it needs to do any work. *It doesn't think it has to go out and seduce anyone's nose. *
    --Chris
    Out of curiosity, is this one that your opinion has evolved / changed on over the years? (That NEVER happens to me !!!!). I recall that original split a couple of years ago, since which time you apparently acquired an additional 8.4 ounces..... a copious amount of a fluid given your rather tepid review.

Like you, I've got somewhere north of 9 ounces of the stuff.......that original split and a full, unopened vintage bottle. My thoughts are a bit different than yours. I absolutely love Vintage Tabarome, but like a number of my favorite scents (Yatagan, L'Artisan Navigateur), this one is more of a personal fragrance for me than a "wear out in public". I continue to believe that VT is a great black-tie event frag. In fact, the only time I've worn it this year was to such an event. While I like it (a lot), it isn't a very active element in my rotation.

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim2154mn
    Out of curiosity, is this one that your opinion has evolved / changed on over the years? *(That NEVER happens to me !!!!). *I recall that original split a couple of years ago, since which time you apparently acquired an additional 8.4 ounces..... a copious amount of a fluid given your rather tepid review.

Like you, I've got somewhere north of 9 ounces of the stuff.......that original split and a full, unopened vintage bottle. *My thoughts are a bit different than yours. *I absolutely love Vintage Tabarome, but like a number of my favorite scents (Yatagan, L'Artisan Navigateur), this one is more of a personal fragrance for me than a "wear out in public". *I continue to believe that VT is a great black-tie event frag. *In fact, the only time I've worn it this year was to such an event. *While I like it (a lot), it isn't a very active element in my rotation.

Cheers,
    Jim
    Score points for Jim! Yes, indeed, I'm still working through the split we made a few years ago, and on that basis I bought a full bottle when Adeel was offering a great deal on it.

I hear you on keeping it in rotation as a favorite, Jim, and I guess I do the same because I certainly still wear it, but it has seemed to follow the law of deminishing returns for me. When we first got it it seemed the greatest of shadow scents, a scent of penumbra and shadows that are purple and beautiful to look at. Since then it has started to seem like half of what a scent should be. Like a sauce you want to thicken by heating it and boiling it down on the stove top.

I'll probably wear it again tomorrow because of all the fun talking about it brings.

Thanks again for that great chance to make the split!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Well put!

The only fault I find with VT is probably less with it than it is with me. That fault being I just can't seem to visualize wearing it under most normal circumstances. Everytime I break it out I have the feeling that the James Bond theme song should start playing, I should have a martini in one hand, and in the other.......

.....well, a story for another day!

Hope all is well,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    To me it always smelled like mothballs and the like. *You know how you go to a real dive bar and have to use the restroom, and its got one of those big pink urinal cakes- alot of them remind me of vintage tabarome.
    I've gotten this "mothball" note before, but it only emerges when the juice gets on my shirt. On my skin, it wears really well. But on a paper test strip and clothes it develops into a musty note reminiscent of old pages in an old dusty book.

Default Re: Vintage Tabarome (Harumph, harumph.....) &nbsp

Last edited by Derawk; 26th November 2009 at 07:19 PM.

I've got to second the urinal cake note. I get it every time. VT gives me urinal cake, while REL, gives me a scent exactly like this cowboy soap I had as a kid...nostalgic but not good. New Tab, to me, is a little of both worlds - the easier-to-wear amber/musk with a little tobacco and a bit of an "up" note, maybe the ginger (BTW the ginger doesn't hit me all that hard. I think 1948 Vetiver has way more of it, which I actually like). I find Tab Mill really easy to wear any time, even the office.