Code of Conduct

Default Who makes better fragrances - Italians or French?

I've come across two frgrance houses that I am really enjoying right now - Acca Kappa and Rance 1795. So right now, I am leaning towards Italian fragrances. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Who makes better fragrances - Italians or Fren

Hey, enjoy your Italian fragrances. *I am sure they are quite nice. *There are many, many fine Italian fragrances.

However, I think it must be acknowledged that France is the world leader in the creation of perfumes. *

L'Artisan is my favorite at present and has been for a while. I'm going to have to go with French.

Guess which perfumers of them have 3 nostrils, French or Italian?
    For scents' sake, stop it, please! Isn't it same ole BS like "what's better designer or niche?".

lsp_NY,
    how you, apprecitiating good and sophisticated fragrances, can think it's a bi-color black and white world?
    IT IS NOT!
    And beleive it or not, "on the average"-type evaluations don't work here.
    Personally, among my alltime faves are both Italian and French (by brand, by perfumer, by country of production etc.).

What can be a sort of *real* matter of discussion is STYLE.
    I think of French style being noticeably different of Italian, but that's just the way I feel it.
    Haven't got much to say about the differency, unfortunately. Any style culturologists here?

Regards, Odor.
    "One man's "cat piss" is another one's "masterpiece" (popular fragrance wisdom)

I could not tell you right now, as I`m not possessing all the knowledge...
    Tested about 1000 fragrances, old and new, mainstream and niche, cheap and expensive - but it`s not enough...
    And I`m having a lot of problems to get some good vintages to know more.

So the answer will be later. If it will come at all.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I find that Italian fragrances as a majority tend to be more masculine.

As an Italian-American, I try to build up my Italian collection to go along with my French ones.

But it's pretty confusing when Italian ones are made in France! So are Armani and Zegna fragrances, which are made in France, Italain or French as opposed to Ferragamo, D&G, Versace etc, which are actually made in Italy?

I think they both do a very good job. Can't really decide. I love Annick Goutal as much as Santa Maria Novella.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    I find that Italian fragrances as a majority tend to be more masculine.

As an Italian-American, I try to build up my Italian collection to go along with my French ones.

But it's pretty confusing when Italian ones are made in France! So are Armani and Zegna fragrances, which are made in France, Italain or French as opposed to Ferragamo, D&G, Versace etc, which are actually made in Italy?
    MikeFromManhattan or anybody else:

I really enjoy the "Italian" type of scent, which I see as spicy and aromatic. *One of my absolute favorites is Tuscany, and another is Romeo Gigli.

Since we are discussing Italian fragrances, can anyone list a few of their favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by The-odor
    Guess which perfumers of them have 3 nostrils, French or Italian?
    For scents' sake, stop it, please! Isn't it same ole BS like "what's better designer or niche?".
    I must admit, I hesitated posting that question. Since I thought they are 2 of the biggest producers of fragrances, it would be cool to know what people think.

It's really a matter of preference. My all-time favorite could turn out to be Japanse or British.

It's all in the spirit of fun.

Obviously the Antarticans have the superior fragrances.
    And that's the end of that story...
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by sqboy1
    ....I really enjoy the "Italian" type of scent, which I see as spicy and aromatic. One of my absolute favorites is Tuscany.....
    ...Tuscany is a little town in the New West :-/ I believe ? let's ask Estee Lauder! ;D

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The French dominate the market for good reason

When I want simple and spicy, I go with the Spanish fragrances (Esencia Loewe, Quorum, ...)
    Italian, for their expertise in handling woods.
    And French, for everything else!

It was Italians who brought the perfume to France!
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

although italian perfumery tradition is quite good enough .acqua di parma,acqua di biella,borsari are the historical brands ,lately there are some champion as lorenzo villoresi and another historical as santa maria NOVELLA ,honestly even if am italian i can say that they cant compete with such milestones as guerlain,caron,patou,chanel,molinard,coty ,in few words french had always detected the crown for perfumery if we only think that grasse in provence together with montpellier have always been considered the nevralgic points of development of all the most important noses and fragrances of all the world they have the most important perfumery schools .but in the origin we can find the real anchestors in perfume making in arabian world they were the first to deal with attars and oriental essences even nowadays the arabian called i.e mohamed el attar means that in his family there were some perfumer