Code of Conduct
    nearfantastica

Default Blind Buy: Triumphs and Disappointments

As an avid purchaser of fragrances, I often find the concept of the blind buy (or swap) intriguing. To me, it is the equivalent of purchasing a music CD, without having listened to it. It can be exciting, and the anticipation can be quite wonderful... that being said, blind buying can result in some wonderful surprises and some disasterous ones as well...

Sometimes we view the totality of our blind buy as a mixture of different aspects. For example, if we purchase a scent that has a great reputation, we may expect great things, and thus be let down.. in the same vein, whe might be quite impressed when we take liking to a scent, that many others consider vile, or unimpressive..

Wondering what other basenoters top 10 blind purchase surprises are, as well as their top 10 disappointments.. mine are, as follows.

Triumphs

1) Laguna by Salvidor Dal (fresh murky, salty goodness)
    2) Bulgari Black (rubber and vanilla have never smelled so smooth)
    3) Escada PH (boozey powdery heaven)
    4) Ungaro III (dark, mysterious, heavy and alluring)
    5) Tel Quel by Yves Rocher (tropical coconut sweet, nothing like it)
    6) Nemo by Cacherel (woodsy spicy, nothing that will change the world, but nice)
    7) Body Kouros (I smell more licorice than vanilla, either way.. delicious)
    8) Opium PH (snake charmer like quality with enough sweetness to ground it)
    9) Habit Rouge - Guerlain (shouldn't like this.. but it's one I can't stop sniffing)
    10) Joop Nightflight/ Jacomo Paradox (both fresh and unique)

Disappointments and Nightmares

1) Rive Gauche Yves St. Laurent (bottled smell of, men's shaving cream)
    2) Hanae Mori (a lot more cloying than I expected it to be)
    3) Lacoste PH (drab, bland, annoying)
    4) FCUK PH (YIKES... too much pepper, not enough of anything else to balance it)
    5) DKNY (same complaint as FCUK)
    6) Visit by Azzaro (not bad, but with the hype I expected to love this)
    7) The Dreamer by Versace (not a bad tobacco drydown, but a little strong)
    8) By Man by Dolce and Gabanna (a little too striking, a little too much sex)
    9)Allure Sport by Chanel (a top note that really irritates me, overhyped)
    10) Ferrari Racing (one word.. WRONG)

what are YOUR views?

Anthony

Default Re: Blind Buy: Triumphs and Disappointments

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    4) FCUK PH (YIKES... too much pepper, not enough of anything else to balance it)
    Wow, I can't say I thought of it as peppery at all. Very candylike though... I have to smell it again and see if I find that pepper there. I'm not saying you are wrong, but it is just something I can't remember.

nearfantastica

re: FCUK... maybe it wasn't necessarily a 'pepper' smell, but one that evoked the same headachy response that strong pepper might.. Im not sure, i don't own it anymore..I just remember that on, me had this distinct 'peppery' type smell.. I could not handle it..

anthony

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    5) Tel Quel by Yves Rocher (tropical coconut sweet, nothing like it)
    Wow! Another basenoter who discovered this hidden gem! I always thought that Gucci Envy would be better in EDP. Tel Quel was the answer to this.