Code of Conduct

Default Eau Sauvage Extreme--Big Mistake?

Okay, here's the story. I was coming home from school and I had some extra cash so I decided to drop by my favorite frag store. I was set on getting myself Givenchy Pi or Gucci Envy when I happened to spot a box of Eau Sauvage. I asked the saleslady how much it was and she said that they only had the 200ml bottle of it which cost more than the money I had at that time. I wanted to buy a bottle of Eau Sauvage since it reminded me of my father back in the day and I don't have a conservative and stiff scent. Then I saw a box of Eau Sauvage Extreme at the back of the counter area which was priced almost or near Givenchy Pi which I originally set out to buy in the first place. So, I ended up buying Eau Sauvage Extreme. It smells nice and all, a bit medicine-y, definitely something you'd wear to get serious, LOL. I'm just wondering if I made a mistake as people in the Basenotes say that Eau Sauvage Extreme is nothing compared to the original.
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

Default Re: Eau Sauvage Extreme--Big Mistake?

From memory, I liked Eau Sauvage more than I liked *Eau Sauvage Extreme.
    But Eau Sauvage barely lasts two hours on me, and I consider it a waste of money, unless bought ultra cheap.
    How long does the Extreme last on you?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    From memory, I liked Eau Sauvage more than I liked Eau Sauvage Extreme.
    But Eau Sauvage barely lasts two hours on me, and I consider it a waste of money, unless bought ultra cheap.
    How long does the Extreme last on you?
    Renato
    Is that so? Then the regular Eau Savage is not for me for I tend to like frags with decent sillage. It lasts a LONG time. The top note's medicine-like smell stays on well. Among the scents I own, this feels the most heaviest.
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

Its true, the extreme version is nothing like the original, it smells like a barber shop. Eau Sauvage is the purest citrus, a timeless classic. The extreme one however, is just too old-fashion to me. Some people may like it, just like Bulgari pour homme extreme - which is different from the original but not better. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour
    Its true, the extreme version is nothing like the original, it smells like a barber shop. Eau Sauvage is the purest citrus, a timeless classic. The extreme one however, is just too old-fashion to me. Some people may like it, just like Bulgari pour homme extreme - which is different from the original but not better. :-/
    I guess it does smell like a barber shop as it has this stong spicy thing going on. I don't smell any citrus at all in this scent. It's weird though, the picture that comes to mind when I smell this frag is that of a gentleman during the victorian era. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Celdor

Is that so? Then the regular Eau Savage is not for me for I tend to like frags with decent sillage. It lasts a LONG time. The top note's medicine-like smell stays on well. Among the scents I own, this feels the most heaviest.
    I should have elaborated more. There are numerous people here who think as I do, that Eau Sauvage just doesn't last. But there have been a few who swear that it lasts all day on them. So it is possible that you could wind up as one of the latter - the only way to know is to test it on your wrist - if it's still there with strength in three hours, it'll probably go all day. If it's undetectable in two hours, save your money.
    Renato

I love Eau Savage Extreme. To me it is very soothing fragrance, just like YSL PH.
    It has this lovely sour, lemony note, which I find very enjoyable. And of course, it lasts forever.
    ESE is of the most masculine scents I know.

Hell man, you made the right choice! Eau Sauvage Extreme is magic. The original is beautiful too, but there's time in life to get it as well. Wait until May and get it then--it's perfect for the summer.

The Extreme, that's the tops. I wore it as a signature for a year and won't ever forget how great it was. You'll see later hints of it in fragrances that have come out after it, as if the concepts it carves out cut nice paths in the brains of people who went on to create more perfumes. At least that's what I think of when I smell it.

I saw wear it for a week and see how much it becomes natural on your skin. Maybe you won't like it, but I bet you will. Whatever happens, do not beat yourself up about the purchase. Thank the great spirit that ESE saved you from Pi is what I say.

Plenty of time for other stuff later. Try this stuff and see that it'll make you feel great.

Welcome to the board, by the way.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

*FATAL ERROR* you after try this never are the same one,long sequels in his nose,the worst fragance in the world 8-) IMO :P
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Domenico Caraceni,Great Jones Bond Nº9,G.Trumper Wild Fern

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    I love Eau Savage Extreme. To me it is very soothing fragrance, just like YSL PH.
    It has this lovely sour, lemony note, which I find very enjoyable. And of course, it lasts forever.
    ESE is of the most masculine scents I know.
    Yes, I do agree with you now that I've worn it for a whole day. It smells like a barber shop in the first 5 minutes but dries down to something so timeless. I love it! At the moment, the drydown on me is just perfect. What I could imagine a gentleman would smell like.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Hell man, you made the right choice! Eau Sauvage Extreme is magic. The original is beautiful too, but there's time in life to get it as well. Wait until May and get it then--it's perfect for the summer.

The Extreme, that's the tops. I wore it as a signature for a year and won't ever forget how great it was. You'll see later hints of it in fragrances that have come out after it, as if the concepts it carves out cut nice paths in the brains of people who went on to create more perfumes. At least that's what I think of when I smell it.

I saw wear it for a week and see how much it becomes natural on your skin. Maybe you won't like it, but I bet you will. Whatever happens, do not beat yourself up about the purchase. Thank the great spirit that ESE saved you from Pi is what I say.

Plenty of time for other stuff later. Try this stuff and see that it'll make you feel great.

Welcome to the board, by the way.
    --Chris
    You ARE sooooo right, thanks! After waiting a bit, the strength of the topnotes dissipate into something more agreeable. I sprayed the frag early in the morning and it's now 4pm here and it smells fantastic! I don't know why but it instantly grew on me. Now that it has dried down, it gives me this sense of understated elegance. I don't know how to describe it. Haha!

As much as I like Eau Sauvage, I don't like ES Extrême. The funny thing is that I first wore Extrême which has a note that reminds me of anis.

Sitting here wearing Eau Sauvage Extreme first thing in the morning in Shanghai.. it's not as subtle or as musical as the original for sure.. BUT it's a self-assured, bold and eminently wearable variation that has more sillage and much more lasting power than the original.
    I love it, it seems to have stayed current and yet distinctive all the way from the 80's to now (the original even more so - but, NO, THAT doesn't last on me)
    Our modern age is a bit more crass than the 60's and the 70' isn't it?
    SO what??
    Eau Sauvage Extreme braves all that, without the crassness, just a bit of a steroid punch.
    PERFECT for 2007 if you ask me.

Wear it happily

Well I dunno about ESE but I think the original is just O.K., maybe a bit overrated. Even if you end up keeping it and liking it, don't forget about Envy. That is a fantastic scent. Perfect for dates or any intimate nighttime gathering, lounging etc. I personally don't like Pi. Some other people seem to, but I find it too sweet and one-dimensional. Like I said, check out Envy, you can get it for quite cheap online. I think I saw it on scentiments for like 20 bux so go cop that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    Well I dunno about ESE but I think the original is just O.K., maybe a bit overrated. Even if you end up keeping it and liking it, don't forget about Envy. That is a fantastic scent. Perfect for dates or any intimate nighttime gathering, lounging etc. I personally don't like Pi. Some other people seem to, but I find it too sweet and one-dimensional. Like I said, check out Envy, you can get it for quite cheap online. I think I saw it on scentiments for like 20 bux so go cop that.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. ESE is a nice scent but one can easily grow tired of it. I wanna get envy but I think that there are just too many people wearing it. For a night scent I'm thinking more of Van Cleef & Arpels.

Eau Sauvage Extreme is a tricky beast to wear IMHO. When I first got it, I found it very cloying and although I liked some of the notes, it was FSOT for about a year-and-a-half. Recently I've been wearing it more judiciously and find myself liking it more and more. The Extreme is definitely one for wearing under clothing, with only a few sprays necessary. One on the back of the knee, and one on the chest does it for me. (With the original I'll do quite a bit more, including spraying on open skin, particularly at the back of the neck for siliage.)

For those who like Envy, give L'Occitane Vetyver and especially Carven Homme a try.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    Eau Sauvage Extreme is a tricky beast to wear IMHO. When I first got it, I found it very cloying and although I liked some of the notes, it was FSOT for about a year-and-a-half. Recently I've been wearing it more judiciously and find myself liking it more and more. The Extreme is definitely one for wearing under clothing, with only a few sprays necessary. One on the back of the knee, and one on the chest does it for me. (With the original I'll do quite a bit more, including spraying on open skin, particularly at the back of the neck for siliage.)

For those who like Envy, give L'Occitane Vetyver and especially Carven Homme a try.
    I must agree with you that it's rather potent. :P But I'm learning to like it as well. What does "wearing under clothing" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Celdor
    What does "wearing under clothing" mean?
    More or less, wearing it under a shirt or pants, and not on the neck or back of the palms. Powerful scents can be ameliorated (somewhat) having to smell them through clothing.

Conversely, weaker scents may work better on exposed skin (back of the neck seems to work well).

Really weak scents can sometimes be worn directly on clothing to give them some duration, but this is a matter of dispute. (There is also a danger of staining the fabric.) You would be surprised how well 4711 has retained its smell on my beanbag-cloth ottoman.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio