I can understand where you're at. You already like and have experienced some outstanding scents, so the universe has retracted a little for you with respect to scents. However, there are many more superb gems that lie waiting to be discovered, for all of us. As I am a huge fan of scents that feature vetiver, your dislike of this note makes this a little difficult. However, without hesitancy, where "dark and rich" is what you are looking for, I would recommend the following:
- Nearly all of the D'Orsay fragrances, especially Le Dandy: deep, dark, rich and unusual.
- Geo F. Trumper's Sandalwood Cologne: maybe not "dark", but deep, very rich, and undergoes a wonderful transformation as it is worn.
- CdG Sequoia: a deep, rich woodsy gangbuster.
- Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrhh: while No. 88 did not move me very much, I am floored by the "quiet" depth and richness of this scent! Similar to Avignon and others in the CdG Incense Series, but considerably more well blended and rich.
-Lubin's Idole de Lubin: somewhat dark and rich, as requested, with booze, smoke, and spices.
- Aqua di Parma's Colonia Assoluta: a deep and rich citrus floral, with a darkened heart of carnation; very long-lasting for it's kind and very rich.