Code of Conduct

Default Propose some scents, I知 really bored.

Been on BN for sometime (close to 2 years) and I致e gotten really bored with this hobby lately. Nothing really catches me anymore and I need some fragrance suggestions based on what I like and don稚 like. Hopefully some really interesting scents. Take a look at my wardrobe and see what I like and tested so far.

Some of the things that I really like (in my top 20 or so)

Angel Men
    Caron Tabac Blond extract
    Dior Homme
    Hanae Mori EDT for women (Pink butterfly)
    Yang
    Voleur De Roses
    Versus Uomo
    Kouros
    Rive Gauche

What I really hate or doesn稚 work for me:

The Creeds (their okay but a little too boring for me)
    Serge Lutens Scents (nice well made scents but not my style, too much sweet and powder)
    90% of the designer scents (too synthetic and I often get bored with them quickly)
    Anything with Vetiver

Things that I haven稚 tried yet interest me:

Czech and Speake No. 88
    CDG Red Series, especially Palisander and Rose
    Gucci Envy (mostly just to see what the hype is all about)
    Bulgari Black
    Hanae Mori HM for men

Basically looking for some really interesting scents to try, something a little different, somewhat dark and rich. Okay sillage and an overall okay scent. Please recommend some stuff.

Default Re: Propose some scents, I知 really bored.

I can understand where you're at. You already like and have experienced some outstanding scents, so the universe has retracted a little for you with respect to scents. However, there are many more superb gems that lie waiting to be discovered, for all of us. As I am a huge fan of scents that feature vetiver, your dislike of this note makes this a little difficult. However, without hesitancy, where "dark and rich" is what you are looking for, I would recommend the following:

- Nearly all of the D'Orsay fragrances, especially Le Dandy: deep, dark, rich and unusual.

- Geo F. Trumper's Sandalwood Cologne: maybe not "dark", but deep, very rich, and undergoes a wonderful transformation as it is worn.

- CdG Sequoia: a deep, rich woodsy gangbuster.

- Czech & Speake Frankincense & Myrhh: while No. 88 did not move me very much, I am floored by the "quiet" depth and richness of this scent! Similar to Avignon and others in the CdG Incense Series, but considerably more well blended and rich.

-Lubin's Idole de Lubin: somewhat dark and rich, as requested, with booze, smoke, and spices.

- Aqua di Parma's Colonia Assoluta: a deep and rich citrus floral, with a darkened heart of carnation; very long-lasting for it's kind and very rich.

Jeff

Loewe Esencia may serve you well.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120587.html

I have smelt nothing like it.
    It's a bit overwhelming for the first hour, but after this... magic!

Yeah, thanks a lot of the suggestion so far guys, really appreciate it. Right now I知 just thinking that I pretty much smelt every fine perfume that the Perfume world has to offer, and I知 looking at new and interesting ways of sparking up this hobby. I知 looking more into vintage perfumes and even testing some female scents to lift me up. Recently smelt Clinique Happy to Be and liked it a lot.

Sequioa and Trumper痴 Sandalwood, I tested both out and loved them.
    The other sound really interesting and I値l take a look into them, I remember contacting the lubin website for a sample of Idole but they haven稚 replied yet. But I definitely look at what you guys suggested, thanks again.

Why So Serious?

You know, i had the same problem, i was so down in this hobby at one time that i was actually gone from it. But then i discovered the world of discontinued fragrances and many other rare gems, even rare and hard to get niches. This notion of being discontinued and hard-to-find really interests me, since i came back to this hobby, i was mainly on the look out for these gems and bought quite a few and was happy about most of them. And my quest continues.........of course it could help if you discover places that carry some discontinued gems. So my new resolution for this year is just to dig discontinued and hard-to-find fragrances, and so far i have a fairly good start.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

CANNABIS SANTAL...BY FRESH

It seems you've never tryed:
    - a classic masterpiece like Jicky as it seems you might like classic lavender
    based scents with a deep drydown
    - a very different interpretation of tea as in CDG Series 1: TEA as it seems
    you like woody-earthy notes associated with rose
    - an interesting new launch like Hermes Terre d'Hermes with its mineral-musky-skin scent.

Have you tried the fragrances at Pierre Guillaume's Parfumerie Generale? *See this thread: *http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1140745625

My recommendations aren't niche or prohibitively expensive:

Egoiste (the original of course) - Chanel
    Antaeus - Chanel
    Basala - Shiseido (IMHO this is one of the best kept secrets of the fragrance world)
    Yatagan - Caron

These are not very easy to find but that means you won't be smelling it on everybody else either. In my experience, all have good staying power and develop interestingly.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    CANNABIS SANTAL...BY FRESH
    I just won this on ebay today....YEAH!

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

HackerX: I know what you mean, I'm trying to find some interesting ways to stay in the game. Could you recommend any hard to get fragrances that might interest me, I remember you and me had very similar tastes. I think you were the one that got me to try Yang, and now it's one of my favorite scents. By the way, you should check out Versace Versus Uomo, another discounted gem. I really like it, really dark and alluring, and it isn't that pricey for a hard to get fragrances.

Magnifiscent: Yeah, the Jicky extract I was going to pick up in December but that was when I was going through "my" time off period with BN. I should revisited it, I heard it was amazing, especially the pure parfum. Again I also love tea notes in fragrance, I liked SMW at first but I got bored of it quickly, but still very nice. Love Yang so I should try CDG Tea out. I'll also kept the Hermes scent in mind.

Renassiance Man: Tried Egoiste but I didn't like it, too sweet and cloying even with one spray. I find Trumpers Sandalwood to closely resemble this but its far better. More refined and smooth compared to the sticky and sweet Egoiste, thought you should try Geo F Trumper Sandalwood if you like Egoiste. Chanel Antaneus, I'll try but I heard it has poor longevity on the skin, so it might be something I like but if it doesn't last well on the skin, then sorry :P. I'll also keep Caron Yantagan in mind and Basala I was thinking about as well. I remember HackerX talking about this once, sounds really good, I should pick up a decant soon.

Thanks for the suggestion so far guys.

Tea for Two
    M7
    Those are dark and rich.
    I hear Ungaro III is as well.

Default Re: Propose some scents, I[ch8217]m really bored.

Bulgari Homme (as you like Yang... IMHO Yang = SMW + Bulgari Homme)

Brut Classic (you'll have fun comparing with Rive Gauche; personally I prefer Brut Classic, but wear both. Brut is more floral, but RG is dirtier.)
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Why So Serious?

Hey n, glad to see that Rive Gauche has made it into your top 10, lol. I remember you didn't like this one, but it really grew on you didn't it, for some reason i'm still not too thrilled about it.

so far the rare gems i'm fond of are:
    Nicole Miller
    Basala
    Ungaro I
    Laguna
    Nemo
    Cacharel Pour Homme
    DK Fuel
    Samourai
    Kenzo Jungle
    Guess Man original
    Zino
    Aramis New west

Few that i'm not so fond of:
    Havana
    Davidoff Relax
    Patou Homme
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man

Tea for Two: I thought it was a nice perfume but not something I really enjoyed too much. I really didn't like the twist on the tea note, came off as be smokey, but I really like sweeter tea notes in perfumes.

M7: This one is really weird on my skin. Sometimes it comes off as being really sweet and I can detect the agarwood note but other times it comes off as smelling like a burnt log on my skin.

Ungaro III: Thought is was okay, but no longevity or sillage.

Bulgair PH: Remember testing this one out for a short period of time at the mall, I thought it was short lived and too light for my liking. But I might give it another shot when I'm at the mall.

Burt Classic: Smelt it but I prefer Rive Gauche for that kind of stuff.

Ungaro I: Really like this one, I think the best Ungaro. Meaning to get a bottle. I remember getting like 35 samples in the mail once and only liking this one.

Laguna and Nemo are both on my to try list, I'll also check out the rest. Basala, I'm hoping to decant of soon.

Rive Gauche is nice but I only really wear it at home for my pleasure, I find it to be not my style, but something I'd probably wear more often when I get older. Not really a well made perfume but still good. Kind of a mistake gone good. The basenotes are really weird, notes appear and then disappear and then reappear . Took me over a year, mostly because I wore it once and really didn't revisit it for a couple of months, but know I really like it. I'll always associated black with Rive Gauche, my favorite color.

FM's Une Rose
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Why So Serious?

n, i'll send you a decant of Basala, the problem is i have no empty decant bottles, if you do that'll be great, if you dont i'm just gonna have to use old ones which is not a very good idea.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi

Some of the things that I really like (in my top 20 or so)

Voleur De Roses

Things that I haven稚 tried yet interest me:

Czech and Speake No. 88
    CDG Red Series, especially Palisander and Rose
    Gucci Envy (mostly just to see what the hype is all about)
    Bulgari Black
    Hanae Mori HM for men

It seems that you like Rose scents and are interested Gourmands.
    Definitely try Hanae Mori HM, especially in EdP concentration.
    To me it is less "strange" than Angel Men, but still of the same
    quality of construction.

I would also suggest Rose Poivre by The Different Company,
    althought I've only just sampled it. A very nice rose and pepper
    blend, in my opinion.

Taking a break from scents is not a bad thing, too. If you
    need to do that to come back fresh and ready to really enjoy
    fragrances, do feel bad about doing it.

trumpet_guy