Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Men's Musk - Recommendations please!

I am specifically asking for recommendations brilliant musk dominated colognes, oils and EDT's for men; rather than samples of B.O.

I have become quite obsessive about finding an alternative to my beloved , but sadly discontinued TBS Mostly Musk perfume oil. RIP

I have trawled through quite a few 'female' musks and found that the common denominator is baby powder. Yuck!

I have found that there are quite a few men's fragrances, especially chypres, orientals and some fougeres that I can wear very well. For example, Crown Perfumery Crown Fougere is wonderful on my chemistry becoming quite softly sweet and feminine and smelling like others describe Guerlain Jicky, but without the off putting 'gasoline fumes' top note.

I have worked out that Mostly Musk is actually quite a smooth woody musk, reminiscent of TBS Woody Sandalwood (without the cloves, rose, mid notes) and TBS Japanese Musk (without the aldehydes or muguet [lily of the valley] top and mid notes) So I am broadening my scope to male musks in my search for my HG / signature Musk.

I am seeking a smooth, mostly musk, woody fragrance that is warm, animalic and yet 'clean'. It should stay close to the skin but still have good sillage. And it should last all day. Ideally I would love a straight dupe of TBS Mostly Musk or a slightly deeper, dirtier version of the same.

Am unable to afford a hard to find niche exclusive though I am prepared to beg, steal or borrow if it is what I am looking for.

TIA
    Last edited by moondeva; 10th June 2007 at 11:39 PM.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: Men's Musk - Recommendations please!

I recently (within the last week) picked up Keihl's original and Keiko Mecheri musks. Keiko's is a little "perfumey" at first, but it really dries down to a nice musk. Keihl's is easier on the bank account, and just as good, if not better. If you have the extra money though, I'd recommend LV's Musk... quite a noticeable difference over the other two, and my SOTD.
    The Bark Bites Back.

You've probably come across this in your research, but I feel that Kiehl's musk will fit your requirements. It is a cacophany of "stuff" at the beginning, but after an hour or two on the drydown, it is 100% warm, silky musk. Not masculine nor feminine, just clean musk. It is long lasting with just enough sillage to make itself known.

If your are looking for complexity and scent shifting through stages of the day, this may not be interesting enough for you, but again, if warm, clean musk is your goal - I would definitely try it out. Reasonably priced compared to a lot of niche musks out there, as well.

Kiehls yes, but also Bvlgari PH and, to a lesser extent, CKbe

Bvlgari PH is a white musk - not bad, but very unlike Kiehl's Original Musk (if this is the type of musk you're looking for: the dirty, downright animalic type).

I also suggest you seek out Serge Luten's Muscs Koublai Khan as many claim that this is the dirtiest, most animalic, and raw musk out there.

There's also Musc Ravageur but I get the sense that this is more of a spicy musk as people mention the cinnamon a lot. I haven't sampled MKK or MR yet so I only speak from what I hear.

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk is really, really nice and one of my favorite fragrances. It's extremely smooth, warm, soft, and just... a pleasure to smell. However, there isn't any of the animalic musk in it - in fact, it's really hard for me to detect musk half the time. It opens up really powdery with key rose notes and dries down really smooth and warm with a creamy, almost chocolatey, bitter-sweet base.

Drakkar Noir?

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    There's also Musc Ravageur but I get the sense that this is more of a spicy musk as people mention the cinnamon a lot. I haven't sampled MKK or MR yet so I only speak from what I hear.
    I have a sample of Musc Ravageur, and although it is a good scent, after it dries down, to my humble nose anyway, it isn't a very musky musk- if that makes sense.

Sure it projects musk right after the spray, but after it's on the skin a while, it seems to be just a sweet cinnamon/vanilla ice cream type smell.

I much prefer Kiehl's as a good musk.

Should get my decants of Musc Koublai Khan soon and am looking forward to comparing it with Kiehl's. It had better be damned good to beat Kiehl's for the price.

Why So Serious?

Helmut Lang
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

I don't have any frags which are denominated musks, but two with a dominant musk note which I enjoy are:
    Dunhill Man (2003)
    Lucky You for Men

Yang is also excellent.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    Yang is also excellent.

Oh i agree with this one, but you have to wait for the dry-down. After a few hours this one becomes quite musky i have to say, not animalic though, and it has an amazing sillage.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Serpent

I'm not a musk wearer here. *It's not a note I wear well. *But there's one musk I love and wear often: *Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne. *I love, love, love this stuff, and I hope Helmut Lang's new owners at Prada come to their senses and reissue this gem (as well as Cuiron). *Slightly powdery, rich with vanilla and patchouli, astringent with lavender, the musk is a beautiful, bracing, old-fashioned scent suited to both sexes. *It also supposedly has some high-tech skin accords, which probably explains why it hangs so wonderfully onto the skin of the wearer. *This is a wonderful scent to wear when someone will be up close to you, not as flashy, showy, or rich as Musc Ravageur. *It's warmer and deeper than Kiehl's Original Musk, not as brittle, medicinal, or thin. *It's just sexy and classic, delicately balanced, a scent for the ages. *I adore it. *Bring it back, Prada! *(Thankfully, it's easily found online and on eBay, unlike the more scarce Cuiron. *The lotion is great, too.)

N.B.: *The Eau de Parfum is similar but has a more pronounced orange blossom note.

I haven't tried a lot of specifically musk themed scents, but some that I think of as having a strong musky identity are:

Burberry Touch--clean and warm woody musk with violets.

Gucci Rush--very woody musk. Most people comment on the woodiness more than the musk, but I perceive this as a musk with a strong woody element.

Bulgari PH/PH Extreme--a woody musk with pepper. Some people seem to detect more tea than pepper, but I get the pepper note strongly and the tea note not at all.

CKbe--A clean, fruity musk that reminds me of shaving cream.

I love Yang, which has been mentioned, but never thought of it as musk dominant. Next time I wear it I'll have to look for the musk note.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

I don't remember what Mostly Musk smelled lke, but I second the recommendation for Helmut Lang Cologne which has a lot of coumarin, as does TBS Woody Sandalwood.

Muscs Koublaï Khan is forcefully animalic with civet dominating the first twenty minutes of wear. After that it softens considerably, but it's still very animalic.

Musc Ravageur is more along the lines of Jicky and Shalimar in structure and has a herbal, citrus/ lavender topnote and strong spicy notes blended with amber, tonka, vanilla and musk. The vanilla makes it more ambery in feel but it's actually quite musky.

The musky notes in Rush for men needs warm weather to come to the surface.

Anyone else find Kiehl's to be a bit difficult to wear for the first hour or so? It just seems quite effeminate in a cloying sort of way at first.

The only musk scent that I like is Musc Ravageur, probably because of what Concord has stated. I am not a big lover of musk scents.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I love the dirty civet muckiness of Muscs Koublai Khan. I'm sniffing it now. It is as musky as it gets...

I like musc note in Herrera for men with natural sandalwood aromatic fougere, 212 Men spicy and woody floral gardenia, Bulgari pour Homme and extreme version with woody amber

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    Anyone else find Kiehl's to be a bit difficult to wear for the first hour or so? *It just seems quite effeminate in a cloying sort of way at first.
    I found the Kiehl's difficult for the first hour, the second hour - hell, every hour, period. *It's tinny and shrill to me, very sharp and crackly. *They sell it as a vegetal musk, and it smells like it. *Musk is supposed to be animalic, and this does smell like some sort of sugared drippings from pressed turnips or something. *Since when is this a selling point? *It's tofu perfume! *Damn hippies! *It reeks of dishwashing liquid, powdered sugar, and some old vegetable clippings with fake scratchy-bitter muskoleon or whatever name they've come up for it. *The scent is always off-key - simultaneously too bitter and too sweet - and never settles on me. *It definitely bears a resemblance to Helmut Lang, but the Lang scent is round, full, rich. *I get the impression of shining gold from it. *Kiehl's is yellow-painted, chintzy aluminum in comparison. *It has a sort of cheap, poorly-made Soviet quality to me, like it should come in gallon jugs with "KØLØN" written on the front.

(Kiehl's supporters may counter it's minimalism vs. overkill. *Don't listen to them. *They're all anarchists who smoke crack and club baby seals.)

If you liked Mostly Musk oil, what about The White Musk TBS? It's not sweet, just clean and fresh.
    There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    [quote author=Octothorpe link=1139514837/0#13 date=1139586487]Anyone else find Kiehl's to be a bit difficult to wear for the first hour or so? *It just seems quite effeminate in a cloying sort of way at first.
    I found the Kiehl's difficult for the first hour, the second hour - hell, every hour, period. *It's tinny and shrill to me, very sharp and crackly. *They sell it as a vegetal musk, and it smells like it. *Musk is supposed to be animalic, and this does smell like some sort of sugared drippings from pressed turnips or something. *Since when is this a selling point? *It's tofu perfume! *Damn hippies! *It reeks of dishwashing liquid, powdered sugar, and some old vegetable clippings with fake scratchy-bitter muskoleon or whatever name they've come up for it. *The scent is always off-key - simultaneously too bitter and too sweet - and never settles on me. *It definitely bears a resemblance to Helmut Lang, but the Lang scent is round, full, rich. *I get the impression of shining gold from it. *Kiehl's is yellow-painted, chintzy aluminum in comparison. *It has a sort of cheap, poorly-made Soviet quality to me, like it should come in gallon jugs with "KØLØN" written on the front.

(Kiehl's supporters may counter it's minimalism vs. overkill. *Don't listen to them. *They're all anarchists who smoke crack and club baby seals.)[/quote]

LOL!!!!! *What a crackup!!

I quoted the post because I thought it deserved to reprinted in it's glorious ranting entirety.

Although I enjoy this post, I also enjoy Kiehl's. *It wears well on me - IF used jusiciously. *Too much and it is most unpleasant. *Beware of freshening and respraying later in the day. *Remember that any scent will be difficult to detect on oneself later in the day, but others can pick it up easily, and Kiehl's does not weaken later in the day.

BTW - I agree that the first couple hours are sharp and will concede that I am careful about using it on occasions where I will be thrust into the midst of the general public right after applying lest I am accused of working in a pre-glasnost Russian tractor factory. Now we killsky some seals, da?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sqboy1
    [quote author=Serpent link=1139514837/15#17 date=1139730151][quote author=Octothorpe link=1139514837/0#13 date=1139586487]Anyone else find Kiehl's to be a bit difficult to wear for the first hour or so? *It just seems quite effeminate in a cloying sort of way at first.

(Kiehl's supporters may counter it's minimalism vs. overkill. *Don't listen to them. *They're all anarchists who smoke crack and club baby seals.)[/quote]

LOL!!!!! *What a crackup!!

I quoted the post because I thought it deserved to reprinted in it's glorious ranting entirety.

Although I enjoy this post, I also enjoy Kiehl's. *It wears well on me - IF used jusiciously. *Too much and it is most unpleasant. *Beware of freshening and respraying later in the day. *Remember that any scent will be difficult to detect on oneself later in the day, but others can pick it up easily, and Kiehl's does not weaken later in the day.

BTW - I agree that the first couple hours are sharp and will concede that I am careful about using it on occasions where I will be thrust into the midst of the general public right after applying lest I am accused of working in a pre-glasnost Russian tractor factory. *Now we killsky some seals, da?
    [/quote]

... ROFLMAO!!! ... ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by audrey
    If you liked Mostly Musk oil, what about The White Musk TBS? It's not sweet, just clean and fresh.
    I am very put off of TBS White Musk by the many reviews maintaining that white musk is the number one cause of the destruction of the ozone layer and the rising levels of public toxic air pollution. :-/

I think it is all down to skin chemistry and unfortunately White Musk is pure 'trailer trash' floral on my skin, along with Coty Wild Musk. It may smell clean and fresh on others but it is 'pure baby powder delicately masking last nights sweat' on me - meh!

TBS Mostly Musk is more animalistic, warm and sexy and much less 'white florals' on me. *sigh*

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Blog Entries

OK, I'm back again! *ignores collective groans*

I recieved my huge decant of MKK today and having initially sampled it I am.... less than impressed. :shrug: Now it may take a while to grow on me and first impressions are 'ok' but it is nothing to the beauty that is / was TBS Mostly Musk.

MKK has helped me to fine tune my search parameters and so this is the result:

What I am searching for is a musky, clean, slightly animalistic (civet, ambergris,patchouli) , warm WOODY musk.

If you could imagine TBS Woody Sandalwood without the clove top notes and amber, tonka, balsams and vanilla base notes. Or the Japanese Musk without the sharp aldehydes and muguet top / heart notes and a touch more 'animalic warmth' you would have a pretty good idea of just how wonderful Mostly Musk smells. :sigh:

Actually, getting this straight in my head is inspiring me to mix my own from scratch. However, funds and time dictate and so in the mean time can anyone recommend a smooth 'white' (cedar, sandal) wood dominated musk perfume / cologne with a touch of animal? In fact forget the 'touch of animal' I have a whole zoo in a bottle somewhere here... now where did I throw that decant of MKK??!

;D

As far as musk scents go-- I'm into Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur by Maurice Roucel at the moment. I recently bought the oil and the parfum at Malle's boutique in Rue de Grenelle in Paris. The balance of the musk with bergamot, cinnamon, tangerine and vanilla is genius.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I've just spotted a 100ml Musk bottle by Avon on ebay. There's only one review in the directory and no bad one.
    I guess nobody wants it. Is it worth a purchase? Does anybody know?

And what about that Jovan Musk Oil?
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    I've just spotted a 100ml Musk bottle by Avon on ebay. There's only one review in the directory and no bad one.

Did you purchase the 100ml Avon? I would be very interested to hear what you think of it if you did. :-/

I am wary of Jovan Musk as it is reputed to be a 'white' musk on a par with Coty Wild Musk that many of the girly girls rave about. :-?

I am considering trying the men's version but am not to sure. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    [quote author=dr.creed link=1139514837/15#23 date=1141758832]I've just spotted a 100ml Musk bottle by Avon on ebay. There's only one review in the directory and no bad one.

Did you purchase the 100ml Avon? I would be very interested to hear what you think of it if you did. :-/

I am wary of Jovan Musk as it is reputed to be a 'white' musk on a par with Coty Wild Musk that many of the girly girls rave about. :-?

I am considering trying the men's version but am not to sure. :-/[/quote]

The 100ml Avon Musk for men is still listed for Euro 1.00
    I don't think anybody's gonna buy it. It's so cheap already in the stores, but discontinoued.
    If nobody wants it, I'll take it and make a non stop one week Avon Musk party. LOL!

dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I love Kiehl's Original Musk, but I prefer the oil as opposed to the EdT. Two different animals to me. The EdT is more strident, and where I find the oil to have a really mellow feeling from the outset...on my skin anyway...

If you're trying Kiehl's oils, the Pour Homme is great as well. I used to get tons of compliments when I wore that, but now I live in London, where the oils are not for sale

Many great suggestions so far.
    Kiehl's is a real winner IMO; another clean and pure musk is Santa Maria Novella's Musk (Muschio). Sweeter musk scents are the above-mentioned, excellent Musk by Lorenzo Villoresi and Blue Stratos (discontinued, but easily available on eBay, not expensive). A musk-based, fresh scent is the new Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferrè. Definitely worth a try

What is the difference between Original Musk oil and Pour Homme oil? I just checked the kiehl's site the PH oil is way more expensive than OM oil. Thanks
    1/4 fl. oz. Bottle [Pour Homme] = $ 58.50
    1/4 fl. oz. Bottle [Original Musk] = $ 15.00

Kiehl's Pour Homme is another blend in the essence oil range. I'm not sure what is in that makes it so expensive, but it is a great fragrance. Completely different to Original Musk. I balked at the price initially, but once I bought it, and got lots of compliments (which never hurts), I really loved it. It lasts forever and goes all day, so I felt justified in the price in the end. Definitely worth a smell!

denstyle - I am very intrigued, could you please tell me how Pour Homme Oil smells? Floral? Citrus? Woody? Musk? ..etc. Also does it last as long as the Musk Oil or longer? I heard a few ppl highly recommend it, and I know the only place to buy it is from the US kiehl's, so I have to order it blind. *I would like to gather more information before I order. Thanks again

Hi Ayala,
    I ran out a while ago, and I can't get in London, but I did give my partner a bottle for Christmas and there is probably some left. I will give it a test run at home and report back. I recall it being quite woody, not particularly floral. I also remember it being of higher sillage and duration then the Musk oil, which stays close to the skin. And the bottles I have had have lasted and lasted, as not a lot was needed for full impact.
    I am at work now, so will get back to you tomorrow!

Dennis

Sorry, Alaya!
    D

denstyle - Don't worry take you time, there's no hurry. Thanks

I was just the winner with Avon Musk for men 100ml on ebay for Euro 1.50
    The seller lives next town, so I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow afternoon and will test it right there and then.
    Can it be worth Euro 1.50 (US$ 1.78) ??
    I mean it's with cap and box .... ;D LOL!

dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    OK, I'm back again! *ignores collective groans*

I recieved my huge decant of MKK today and having initially sampled it I am.... less than impressed. ;D
    I was as well, as a matter of fact, I initially thought that the sample of Padpardadscha the seller included as a freebie was mis-marked (and really MKK). The MKK didn't give off the "rode hard and put away wet" smell that I had some to expect on me at all. It was nice, if strong, but not crazy-sexy. Not really mucky, either.

On me anyway.

Burberry Touch, Dunhill (2003), Bvlgari PH

Here's a short review of the Avon Musk for men I just picked up:

Cosy warm - too sweet - old man's musk. Quite unspectacular and probably outdated for a connoisseur. Flat is the word.
    dr.creed's decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Moondeva, you must try Kiehl's Original Musk. I think it will have most of the qualities that you are looking for. I am not the first one to say this but try to sample it!
    It's the best musk I smelled so far right next to Musc Koublai Khan (which may be too dirty for what you are looking for). They are very similar, but Kiehl's is a bit cleaner...
    I am obsessed with musks too these days...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Moondeva,

I was at an organic vegetable market a few months ago and there was a stall selling incense and oils. I thought the sandalwood oil smelled exactly like TBS Mostly Musk. If only I had bought some. I will go there again and see if I can find the vendor - but I doubt it. If I see it I'll put it in the package I'm going to send you. I know exactly how annoying it is when your favourites are discontinued!

Let's see... smells like TBS Mostly Musk... what about SMN musk? I'm not sure if that's even what it's called. Santa Maria Novella musk... or musc... or muscio... something. I thought it was a dirty animalic musk with no powder at all (almost a little too strong if you ask me.)

I thought that Khiels Musk was a little too herbal - like a stronger version of Jovan for Women - but that's just my opinion. TBS Mostly Musk is a dirtier, woodier musk... more like SMN musk or Tam Dao.

Have you tried combining TBS patchouli with Khiels Musk? Or maybe something from the CdG incense series with Samsara parfum (the more expensive alternative)? Dzing with Agent Provocateur?

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 27th December 2006 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sqboy1
    I have a sample of Musc Ravageur, and although it is a good scent, after it dries down, to my humble nose anyway, it isn't a very musky musk- if that makes sense.

Sure it projects musk right after the spray, but after it's on the skin a while, it seems to be just a sweet cinnamon/vanilla ice cream type smell.

I much prefer Kiehl's as a good musk.

Should get my decants of Musc Koublai Khan soon and am looking forward to comparing it with Kiehl's. It had better be damned good to beat Kiehl's for the price.
    I have to agree with you on this. I've heard my wife say bad things about musks in the past, but I bought a bottle of Kiehl's anyway, to wear when she's not around. She smelled it today and said she really liked it, so I'll wear it more often. I'll admit the Keihl's is linear, but it really lasts on my skin when most fragrances seem to fade pretty fast.

My sample of Musc Ravageur is nice, but not quite what I expected. I really think I like the Keihl's better.

hope you found a new musk by now...i reccomend strongly kiehls and Santa Maria Novella Musk...enjoy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    I am specifically asking for recommendations brilliant musk dominated colognes, oils and EDT's for men; rather than samples of B.O.

I have become quite obsessive about finding an alternative to my beloved , but sadly discontinued TBS Mostly Musk perfume oil. RIP

[...] I have found that there are quite a few men's fragrances, especially chypres, orientals and some fougeres that I can wear very well. [...]
    I have worked out that Mostly Musk is actually quite a smooth woody musk, reminiscent of TBS Woody Sandalwood (without the cloves, rose, mid notes) and TBS Japanese Musk (without the aldehydes or muguet [lily of the valley] top and mid notes) So I am broadening my scope to male musks in my search for my HG / signature Musk.

I am seeking a smooth, mostly musk, woody fragrance that is warm, animalic and yet 'clean'. It should stay close to the skin but still have good sillage. And it should last all day. Ideally I would love a straight dupe of TBS Mostly Musk or a slightly deeper, dirtier version of the same.

Am unable to afford a hard to find niche exclusive though I am prepared to beg, steal or borrow if it is what I am looking for.

TIA
    Was quite surprised to see this thread resurrected but thought I'd better leave an update.

As I feared there truly is nothing quite like TBS Mostly Musk out there. TBS Japanese Musk is the closest ever (minus the aldehydic opening), especially when layered over a tiny drop of patchouli. Lady Luck has smiled upon me though and I have been fortunate enough to build up a little stash of the precious jus (with the help of basenote friends as well as great online bargains).

I have since found some other strong, earthy, animalic musks that have a similar transformation on my chemistry and have since added to my collection:

Nemat Musk Supreme - slightly dirtier than Mostly Musk but very close in scent and character. Tied with TBS Japanese Musk for closest replacement.
    Kiehls Original Musk #1 - I have the EDT and a wee decant of the oil. I much prefer the oil formulation of this scent. This, to me is the vegetarian equivalent of Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan's meaty horse flesh. Sadly, I find the EDT quite sharp, and weirdly 'soulless' but it does liven up a bit when layered with other musks and or a drop of patchouli.
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan - I have a little of this still knocking around and plan to get a full bell jar of it sometime in the forseeable future. This may contain musk (not listed) but is actually all about the other animalic notes. Notes: civet, castoreum, costus roots, cistus labdanum, ambergris, Morrocan rose, cumin, ambrette seeds, patchouli.
    Lentheric Just Musk Cologne (vintage) - now this is naughty! Think Vivienne Westwoods Boudoir but minus the big florals and skanky bed sheets. Then throw in some sexy animalic musk and voila!
    Ava Luxe Kama / Kama Xtreme - I find this another very sexy, woody animalic musk but surprisingly clean in expression. I put this down to the wonderful earthy 'raw' cedar which dominates the opening and main body of the scent. The Xtreme is more animalic and earthy in character. A great 'non-white floral' alternative to Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan and much more easily affordable.
    Ava Luxe Rasa / Rasa Xtreme - This is an uber sexy, raunchy original combo of rose and musk. I adore this, especially in the Xtreme version, it puts the horse flesh of MKK to shame. The Xtreme is more raw, animalic and earthy in character. It is best kept for cooler weather / climes as it can become quite a wild sillage monster in the heat. Rasa is the much more wearable version for warmer climes and for those not so enamoured of raw, animalic musk blends.

I have not had a chance to experience the Santa Maria Novella Musc recommended to me as yet. I am a little wary of searching a sample out after the trauma of sampling their Peau d'Espagne... :shudder:

I would also like to try Nemat's Black Musk, among others from that range.

To tell the truth I am very doubtful that I will find a close clone of TBS Mostly Musk to use as an alternative and will probably end up having to create my own - if I ever run low on my current lifetime's supply!

Thank you very much everyone for your replies and suggestions. I do hope that this threads contents prove helpful for other animalic musk lovers / seekers out there!

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan - I have a little of this still knocking around and plan to get a full bell jar of it sometime in the forseeable future. This may contain musk (not listed) but is actually all about the other animalic notes. Notes: civet, castoreum, costus roots, cistus labdanum, ambergris, Morrocan rose, cumin, ambrette seeds, patchouli.
    Just a side note...the musk in this is probably largely a result of the ambrette seeds. Natural ambrette seed oil has a musky character, a little wine-like, slightly floral. Undoubtedly the civet and castoreum notes give off musk too.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 11th June 2007 at 04:29 AM.

Have you tried ACCA KAPPA's Muschio Bianco?