Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Men's Musk - Recommendations please!

denstyle - I am very intrigued, could you please tell me how Pour Homme Oil smells? Floral? Citrus? Woody? Musk? ..etc. Also does it last as long as the Musk Oil or longer? I heard a few ppl highly recommend it, and I know the only place to buy it is from the US kiehl's, so I have to order it blind. *I would like to gather more information before I order. Thanks again

Hi Ayala,
    I ran out a while ago, and I can't get in London, but I did give my partner a bottle for Christmas and there is probably some left. I will give it a test run at home and report back. I recall it being quite woody, not particularly floral. I also remember it being of higher sillage and duration then the Musk oil, which stays close to the skin. And the bottles I have had have lasted and lasted, as not a lot was needed for full impact.
    I am at work now, so will get back to you tomorrow!

Dennis

Sorry, Alaya!
    D

denstyle - Don't worry take you time, there's no hurry. Thanks

I was just the winner with Avon Musk for men 100ml on ebay for Euro 1.50
    The seller lives next town, so I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow afternoon and will test it right there and then.
    Can it be worth Euro 1.50 (US$ 1.78) ??
    I mean it's with cap and box .... ;D LOL!

decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    OK, I'm back again! *ignores collective groans*

I recieved my huge decant of MKK today and having initially sampled it I am.... less than impressed. ;D
    I was as well, as a matter of fact, I initially thought that the sample of Padpardadscha the seller included as a freebie was mis-marked (and really MKK). The MKK didn't give off the "rode hard and put away wet" smell that I had some to expect on me at all. It was nice, if strong, but not crazy-sexy. Not really mucky, either.

On me anyway.

Burberry Touch, Dunhill (2003), Bvlgari PH

Here's a short review of the Avon Musk for men I just picked up:

Cosy warm - too sweet - old man's musk. Quite unspectacular and probably outdated for a connoisseur. Flat is the word.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Moondeva, you must try Kiehl's Original Musk. I think it will have most of the qualities that you are looking for. I am not the first one to say this but try to sample it!
    It's the best musk I smelled so far right next to Musc Koublai Khan (which may be too dirty for what you are looking for). They are very similar, but Kiehl's is a bit cleaner...
    I am obsessed with musks too these days...
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Moondeva,

I was at an organic vegetable market a few months ago and there was a stall selling incense and oils. I thought the sandalwood oil smelled exactly like TBS Mostly Musk. If only I had bought some. I will go there again and see if I can find the vendor - but I doubt it. If I see it I'll put it in the package I'm going to send you. I know exactly how annoying it is when your favourites are discontinued!

Let's see... smells like TBS Mostly Musk... what about SMN musk? I'm not sure if that's even what it's called. Santa Maria Novella musk... or musc... or muscio... something. I thought it was a dirty animalic musk with no powder at all (almost a little too strong if you ask me.)

I thought that Khiels Musk was a little too herbal - like a stronger version of Jovan for Women - but that's just my opinion. TBS Mostly Musk is a dirtier, woodier musk... more like SMN musk or Tam Dao.

Have you tried combining TBS patchouli with Khiels Musk? Or maybe something from the CdG incense series with Samsara parfum (the more expensive alternative)? Dzing with Agent Provocateur?

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by MysteryFemme; 27th December 2006 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sqboy1
    I have a sample of Musc Ravageur, and although it is a good scent, after it dries down, to my humble nose anyway, it isn't a very musky musk- if that makes sense.

Sure it projects musk right after the spray, but after it's on the skin a while, it seems to be just a sweet cinnamon/vanilla ice cream type smell.

I much prefer Kiehl's as a good musk.

Should get my decants of Musc Koublai Khan soon and am looking forward to comparing it with Kiehl's. It had better be damned good to beat Kiehl's for the price.
    I have to agree with you on this. I've heard my wife say bad things about musks in the past, but I bought a bottle of Kiehl's anyway, to wear when she's not around. She smelled it today and said she really liked it, so I'll wear it more often. I'll admit the Keihl's is linear, but it really lasts on my skin when most fragrances seem to fade pretty fast.

My sample of Musc Ravageur is nice, but not quite what I expected. I really think I like the Keihl's better.

hope you found a new musk by now...i reccomend strongly kiehls and Santa Maria Novella Musk...enjoy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    I am specifically asking for recommendations brilliant musk dominated colognes, oils and EDT's for men; rather than samples of B.O.

I have become quite obsessive about finding an alternative to my beloved , but sadly discontinued TBS Mostly Musk perfume oil. RIP

[...] I have found that there are quite a few men's fragrances, especially chypres, orientals and some fougeres that I can wear very well. [...]
    I have worked out that Mostly Musk is actually quite a smooth woody musk, reminiscent of TBS Woody Sandalwood (without the cloves, rose, mid notes) and TBS Japanese Musk (without the aldehydes or muguet [lily of the valley] top and mid notes) So I am broadening my scope to male musks in my search for my HG / signature Musk.

I am seeking a smooth, mostly musk, woody fragrance that is warm, animalic and yet 'clean'. It should stay close to the skin but still have good sillage. And it should last all day. Ideally I would love a straight dupe of TBS Mostly Musk or a slightly deeper, dirtier version of the same.

Am unable to afford a hard to find niche exclusive though I am prepared to beg, steal or borrow if it is what I am looking for.

TIA
    Was quite surprised to see this thread resurrected but thought I'd better leave an update.

As I feared there truly is nothing quite like TBS Mostly Musk out there. TBS Japanese Musk is the closest ever (minus the aldehydic opening), especially when layered over a tiny drop of patchouli. Lady Luck has smiled upon me though and I have been fortunate enough to build up a little stash of the precious jus (with the help of basenote friends as well as great online bargains).

I have since found some other strong, earthy, animalic musks that have a similar transformation on my chemistry and have since added to my collection:

Nemat Musk Supreme - slightly dirtier than Mostly Musk but very close in scent and character. Tied with TBS Japanese Musk for closest replacement.
    Kiehls Original Musk #1 - I have the EDT and a wee decant of the oil. I much prefer the oil formulation of this scent. This, to me is the vegetarian equivalent of Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan's meaty horse flesh. Sadly, I find the EDT quite sharp, and weirdly 'soulless' but it does liven up a bit when layered with other musks and or a drop of patchouli.
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan - I have a little of this still knocking around and plan to get a full bell jar of it sometime in the forseeable future. This may contain musk (not listed) but is actually all about the other animalic notes. Notes: civet, castoreum, costus roots, cistus labdanum, ambergris, Morrocan rose, cumin, ambrette seeds, patchouli.
    Lentheric Just Musk Cologne (vintage) - now this is naughty! Think Vivienne Westwoods Boudoir but minus the big florals and skanky bed sheets. Then throw in some sexy animalic musk and voila!
    Ava Luxe Kama / Kama Xtreme - I find this another very sexy, woody animalic musk but surprisingly clean in expression. I put this down to the wonderful earthy 'raw' cedar which dominates the opening and main body of the scent. The Xtreme is more animalic and earthy in character. A great 'non-white floral' alternative to Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan and much more easily affordable.
    Ava Luxe Rasa / Rasa Xtreme - This is an uber sexy, raunchy original combo of rose and musk. I adore this, especially in the Xtreme version, it puts the horse flesh of MKK to shame. The Xtreme is more raw, animalic and earthy in character. It is best kept for cooler weather / climes as it can become quite a wild sillage monster in the heat. Rasa is the much more wearable version for warmer climes and for those not so enamoured of raw, animalic musk blends.

I have not had a chance to experience the Santa Maria Novella Musc recommended to me as yet. I am a little wary of searching a sample out after the trauma of sampling their Peau d'Espagne... :shudder:

I would also like to try Nemat's Black Musk, among others from that range.

To tell the truth I am very doubtful that I will find a close clone of TBS Mostly Musk to use as an alternative and will probably end up having to create my own - if I ever run low on my current lifetime's supply!

Thank you very much everyone for your replies and suggestions. I do hope that this threads contents prove helpful for other animalic musk lovers / seekers out there!

Peace
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Serge Lutens Musc Koublai Khan - I have a little of this still knocking around and plan to get a full bell jar of it sometime in the forseeable future. This may contain musk (not listed) but is actually all about the other animalic notes. Notes: civet, castoreum, costus roots, cistus labdanum, ambergris, Morrocan rose, cumin, ambrette seeds, patchouli.
    Just a side note...the musk in this is probably largely a result of the ambrette seeds. Natural ambrette seed oil has a musky character, a little wine-like, slightly floral. Undoubtedly the civet and castoreum notes give off musk too.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 11th June 2007 at 04:29 AM.

Have you tried ACCA KAPPA's Muschio Bianco?