Code of Conduct

Default Rebuilding the wardrobe and blowing some cash

Hi all,

Another poll, and a long one! Please help me pick my next couple purchases. Here's the story. I recently moved (for like the 8th time in 7 years or so). When I unpacked in my new place, I realized I could not find any of my fragrances...lost, stolen, or accidentally tossed, they are gone and I need to rebuild.

In doing this, I'd rather try some new scents than just replace the ones I had. The list in this poll are fragrances that seem to get high ratings in the Basenotes directory, and which also sound interesting to me. Many - most or all - of these, I cannot find near me to sample, so I am going to take a chance and blind buy two or three of these relatively inexpensive fragrances. Which of these would you suggest? Any others you'd suggest?

When voting, please keep in mind that the spring and summer months are coming soon. Also, just for reference, I like woodsy, spicy, musky, and sometimes green or herbal scents. I'm not crazy about ultra-sweet or gourmand scents. Florals I sometimes like and wouldn't mind having as an option. My regular scent is Gucci PH (the one that did not get lost!). My favorite scents that I have tried are Piper Nigrum, Musc Ravageur, Bois du Portugal, and Tabarome Millesime. (Those purchases come later though!)

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Rebuilding the wardrobe and blowing some cash

I voted for:

Live Jazz
    L'Anarchiste
    Yatagan
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    I voted for:

Live Jazz
    L'Anarchiste
    Yatagan
    I think Live Jazz is a good blind buy, but I'd sample the other 2 first. Though L'Anarchiste is a favorite of mine, neither it nor Yatagan is universally loved.

I also think Opium is on the safe side, but not as much as Live Jazz.

I'm wondering whether to buy XS blind myself. (I've held off so far because some say it's similar to Herrera for Men, which I already own.)
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

Rob, live on the edge, and walk it blindly. I'm a power user, so I say go for the danger right off. Get away from safe!

To this end get:

Kouros Fraicheur
    Caron's L'Anarchiste
    Caron's Yatagan.

All of these are fantastic. Especially if you're already in the Gucci PH camp. You'll certainly be able to handle them. L'Anarchiste is one of my summer staples--it is very long lasting in the heat, another perfect venue for the Kouros version too. Yatagan might be tougher in the summer, but evenings can help it. You might get these blind, and your nose might upchuck at them at first, but that's because they're so new to it. After a wearing or three or four, even Yatagan will make sense.

Other excellent selections on your list are Rochas Lui and Sud Est. I think all of these are pretty safe buys given that you like GPH.

Sorry to hear about all that moving. And scent losing. That's hell.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Jazz
    Live Jazz
    L'Anarchiste

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    Jazz
    Live Jazz
    L'Anarchiste

Good choices!!

I was going to go blind on Lui and L'Anarchiste forever. I decided not to so I can get decants. They sound amazing and get great reviews. Live Jazz is just obvious. It is amazing!!

Xeryus.

Masculine, good longetivity, versatile, good-smelling mainstream scent that's appropriate for almost all occasions.

Mad_Hatter

Always dependent on others .... Why don't you buy what YOU like?

Always this asking "What should I wear?" Why don't you choose for yourselves?

Many good alternatives in your list.

I think you're ready for every occasion in spring and summer with the following selection:

Opium - that's a heavy one, but perfect for evenings (even in spring).
    Quasar - a light, but nevertheless long-lasting green-aquatic, mineralic scent; more distinctive and not as sweet as Acqua di Gio.
    L'Anarchiste - oranges, cinnamon, a metallic accord. Very unique and a good choice for summer evenings.

Cheers
    Gerald

Madhatter:

Uh, that's the definition of a blind buy. As explained in the question, I don't have these around me to sample. Buying what I like is what I do when I am not buying something blind. I do that too. There's room in life for both, you know. :

Also: just for fun, for something to do, to see what others think about it, to get some input on what these fragrances smell like, to see which ones might suit my tastes best based on the description I provided, because this is a community of people who like fragrance and like to chat about it, because people just like polls...

Should I give more reasons or have I adequately justified my asking a question?

Thanks to all who responded...many helpful insights. I especially like the quote "live on the edge, and walk it blindly." Thanks again...

Live Jazz
    Yatagan
    L`Anarchiste

There`re no faults in YSL and Caron. Just buy one by one...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Live Jazz (You just can't go wrong with it. Very refreshing, especially during the summer. Effervescent.)
    L'Anarchiste (Well done clove frag IMHO. Duration is iffy, but no big deal.)
    Kouros Fraicheur (Citric and ambery, with a subtle hint of vetiver. Kouros for those who don't like Kouros, but don't spray too much on, as the results can be offensive to others around you.)

For some damn reason I want to recommend Aramis, but I can't pin down why.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

I voted for Opium (EDP please) and caron's yatagan and l'anarchiste... cheers!

Thanks again to all!

I noticed that Rochas Lui, Romeo Gigli, and Vendetta PH got a fair number of votes (you could say the middle tier), but no one detailed them specifically in their comments. Any notes on these?

Opium
    Jazz
    L'Anarchiste

Live Jazz, Opium, Xs
    thats about as much variety as you can cram into any three frags, IMO

If you like spicy Oriental scents like Serge Lutens, then Valentino's Vendetta is a must-have!