Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    Default Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I recently shared my opinons of this in chat with some friends the other day and thought I would conve my sentiments with the rest of the basenotes kingdom. It is unforgiveable the Puffy would produce this. The top notes are creed MI + SMW mixed. In about 2-5 mins, that quickly fades and starts to settle down into a cheaper version of MI by itself. I read that he wears these scents and I feel that this is where he drew his inspiration. I read where he went through all this research to create this when all he had to do was not look beyond the excellent creed in his drobe.

    I rate this another clone and might be enjoyed by those with a conscience budget but at $75 a bottle, I recommend saving a little more and having the real thing. I give this a thumbs down.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    haven't smelled it but according to your review I look at it this way ( and i know puffy wears creed )

    how many people have heard of creed?
    how many people have heard of puffy?
    how good does creed smell?
    how good does puffy smell if you havent smelled creed?
    how much do expensive natural oils cost for creed?
    how much do synthetics cost for puffy?
    how much money does that make for puffy?



    i bet puffy still wears creed too

  3. #3

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    But how does it smell by itself? If you had none of your precious Creeds to compare it too, would you then find the juice to be satisfactory?

    (I don't mean to be mean, just saying that's one way to look at it; most people buying Unforgivable aren't going to have tried a Creed before, so independently they might like it. Perhaps that's how you should approach this review)
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    As much as I want to worship Creed with everything they do, their reputation invites the ambition to encompass the same with another's creation of their own, and with the slight differential nuances carried in Bond No. 9 Wall Street and Creed's MI in Unforgivable, it's the wecomed combination of the two, and I sincerely am reaping the value of two-for-one with this one. The longevity is remarkable, so I don't feel too bad purchasing this, or at least waiting for a website to offer this at a better price. Wall Street may have a comparable longevity, but like I said, it combines the two elements between Creed and Bond No. 9.

    Just because of the collaboration of Sean Jean and Estee Lauder (who makes JHL, btw) why does it make it less than what it is...it projects his intention to create something that rivals niche houses, and done remarkably so. Don't dis' the black Hip-Hop artist when the perfumer has zero-ed in on a plausible concoction that artistically combined the elements of two niche companies, and had done it well.

    It undoubtedly will become popular because of the artist's reputation, but there is no reason not to wear it other than it's incumbent popularity.
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I have the feeling that this won't come out in my country before next century...
    So, because I'm curious I'll order samples on Ebay. I already know I probably won't go for a larger size, but I still want to be part of the action.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I know this:

    It is a quality scent. Great for work and office environment.

    It is selling like HOTCAKES. In the department stores I frequent, all you see in the fragrance case is the lone tester for sampling. THEY ARE SOLD OUT! I've seen that in 2 separate stores.

    I've never seen a fragrance sell like that except for Christmas time.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I have agree with the first two posts here. There is something to be said for originality and artisanship, the ability to have a vision that goes beyond simply copying parts or the whole of what someone else has done. Puffy's scent may be of high quality, it may be popular, and it may be very flexible in where and how it can be worn, but that's all beside the point, which is that, at least to my mind, setting out to create a frag and doing that by simply copying the ones you like is unoriginal, uninspired, boring, and frankly, unethical. For me, it's a non-issue: the popularity of the fragrance will ensure that I never own a bottle, since I don't like smelling like everyone else I encounter. Still, as someone who values creativity, it bothers me that some folks did the hard work and research to create quality scents, and then someone who happens to be popular came along, stole those ideas, and used them to personally cash in.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    I have agree with the first two posts here. *There is something to be said for originality and artisanship, the ability to have a vision that goes beyond simply copying parts or the whole of what someone else has done. *Puffy's scent may be of high quality, it may be popular, and it may be very flexible in where and how it can be worn, but that's all beside the point, which is that, at least to my mind, setting out to create a frag and doing that by simply copying the ones you like is unoriginal, uninspired, boring, and frankly, unethical. *For me, it's a non-issue: the popularity of the fragrance will ensure that I never own a bottle, since I don't like smelling like everyone else I encounter. *Still, as someone who values creativity, it bothers me that some folks did the hard work and research to create quality scents, and then someone who happens to be popular came along, stole those ideas, and used them to personally cash in. *
    This is what I wished I could have said and you said it better! I think some are missing the point and perhaps it is my fault for not conveying effectively. Nonetheless, I feel the same way. It might be fine and dandy for people that never heard of creed but the point of being new in the perume market is to be daring and creative, not to produce clones which will seem boring to the people that own the progenitor. He wanted to create a wal-mart version of very distinct and well crafted fragrances. In that, he was a success. However that may be, I don't have to agree or like the unoriginal concept behind his already concieved idea. Any Neiman marcus store can probably blend you a decant of MI and SMW and it will be infintesmilly superior. My judgement = unethical. He thinks since Bond did it, why can't I?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Unethical? Nah, just Unforgivable.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    Unethical? Nah, just Unforgivable.
    Touché.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I like the scent and bought a big bottle and have been wearing most of this month. From coming from the Lauder group I have to say its their best stab yet at a men's scent since Estee's days in the company.

    I would not call it cheep at all and agree totally with iMaverick's comments.










































  12. #12

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I still don't feel it is very respectable to take the signature characteristics of very popular fragrances and "coining" it as your own. I am a chemist primarily and I could take some juice of notable popularity and take it in the lab to run IR spectra, mass spec, and so forth, and determine every aspect of the juice. This way, I will know exactly what to replicate and rehash someone else's success and flood the market. Some might be able to live with theirselves but, I wouldn't want to ride off the coat tail of creed nor any other house. Given time, I could probably copycat a fragrance and slap my name on it. No why I don't? It does not interest me. Creed is a proven, successful house and a money maker. Perhaps he did not want to risk being original. I stand behind my conveyance and utterly suggest that this was a shameful act to reproduce a blend already in production. It is obvious that the striking characteristics and similarity to creed was no mistake. "Opps, I dropped these oils together and darm if it doesn't smell like creed"! I have nothing against puffy. I have everything against clones. At least l'artisan and Comme Des Garcons still stand alone. Creed is so popular, everyone trys to recreate them and pan them off as their own.

    *Notice how I used "No" instead of "Know" in the sentence "No why I don't"? * I made this mistake purposely so that someone can point out my typing error and make fun but however, I am pathetic for making a typing error and someone who copies creed is a hero? I don't get it.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    puffy doesnt care, puffy wants money. can you blame him? hes not a perfumer hes an investor.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    The fragrance smells ok, but i refuse to put any of my money in to his pockets!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  15. #15

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Personally I rather liked it, but recognized it as a copy of Dunhill for Men (2003).

    Maybe it is just the musk?
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

  16. #16

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by knight
    but i refuse to put any of my money in to his pockets!
    I feel the same way.

    I haven't smelled it yet and probably never will because i have no interest in it whatsoever! I don't care if smells better than PdN New York, FM Vetiver Extra., C & S No. 88 or any of my other favorites, it will be a cold day in Hell before i put a dime of my money into that arrogant, talentless thug's bank account!!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  17. #17

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    Personally I rather liked it, but recognized it as a copy of Dunhill for Men (2003).

    Maybe it is just the musk?
    K

    Mr. K.......you and I share the same view.




    Great minds think alike!!

    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

  18. #18

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    [quote author=knight link=1141090648/0#13 date=1141199736] but i refuse to put any of my money in to his pockets!
    I feel the same way.

    I haven't smelled it yet and probably never will because i have no interest in it whatsoever! I don't care if smells better than PdN New York, FM Vetiver Extra., C & S No. 88 or any of my other favorites, it will be a cold day in Hell before i put a dime of my money into that arrogant, talentless thug's bank account!! [/quote]

    he's pretty talented at getting money

  19. #19

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I personally like it. Smelled it today and ended up getting the 4.2 oz bottle. I'm not a big fan of P. Diddy but I have to admit that I really like this frag. It's strikingly similar to Bond No. 9 Wall Street but only a fraction of the cost. As much as I detest P. Diddy, I couldn't resist buying this. To each his own.


  20. #20
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,416
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I smelled it on a blotter at Macy's and liked it enough to spray some on the back of my hand.

    I ended up not buying it because I couldn't smell it anymore after about ten minutes, but then some scents just don't linger on me.

    The brand is no consequence to me, and I have nothing against the Sean John label; maybe his next one will stick to my skin better...
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

  21. #21

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB

    I couldn't smell it anymore after about ten minutes
    I had the same experience.


    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  22. #22

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Just found this...which confirms my suspicions of Bond No. 9's similarity.

    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...1/1789809.html

    Whom should we blame now...the name behind the scent or the nose? Seems it's no far less in quality than we initially think because of our own preconceived prejudices.... :-?

    What's in a name, folks!?! A rose by any other name....
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I think it was very disrespectful for him to copy frags and put em together. Its just like bootlegging. And I don't think anybody wants somebody to copy off of them and get paid for something that you created. It pushes me closer to creed. I don't like fakes and never will. But who cares right. I care.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    It's about time someone copied a Creed fragrance and commercially exploited it instead of the other way around.

    On another note, I detect similarities between Unforgiveable and MI but not SMW, and at that I find Unforgivable far sweeter and tangier. I'll wear MI, but not Puffy's fruit-punch concentrate.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

  25. #25

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Well, maybe puffy is just taking notes from J Lo. She took China Rain - which she is reputed as wearing - put it in a cute bottle and called it GLO. I can buy the parfum oil of China Rain for $15, why would I buy GLO? I'll stick with the original.

    Seriously, these are business people who take something that is already well liked and put their name on it in hopes that their name will sell the scent. No need to reinvent the wheel so to speak. BUsiness saavy, yes, original, no. :P

  26. #26

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by flee
    I think it was very disrespectful for him to copy frags and put em together. Its just like bootlegging. And I don't think anybody wants somebody to copy off of them and get paid for something that you created. It pushes me closer to creed. I don't like fakes and never will. But who cares right. I care.
    Just like his music, he copies everything and calls it his own. *Why can't respectable and talented musicians/artists/actors get into the frag business like David Bowie? *I'd wear his scent in a heartbeat! *And Marilyn Manson is not talented in case you were wondering about his new scent coming out!

    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  27. #27

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    [quote author=knight link=1141090648/0#13 date=1141199736] but i refuse to put any of my money in to his pockets!
    I feel the same way.

    I haven't smelled it yet and probably never will because i have no interest in it whatsoever! I don't care if smells better than PdN New York, FM Vetiver Extra., C & S No. 88 or any of my other favorites, it will be a cold day in Hell before i put a dime of my money into that arrogant, talentless thug's bank account!! [/quote]

    I absolutely agree. And another reason I would never wear it is the ad, which I find offensive.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Unfortunately, we live in the land where people ride off the coat tail of others. This should go straight to walmart and sell for $14

  29. #29

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Wow, I was just about to start a thread saying what the original poster said, but I guess I'm not the only one thinking how *Unforgivable* this scent really is. I'm on spring break (back home in western Pennsylvania; nowhere exotic because I spend too much money on school and cologne), and over the last few days I did the rounds of the department stores to see what's new. When the first SA sprayed Unforgivable on a tester card, I was taken aback- I thought I might have been dreaming or something, because it smelled *exactly* like my Millesime Imperial. EXACTLY. I told the SA of the similarity (nay, blatant rip-off) between this and MI, but the lady had no idea who Creed was.

    The next day I was still a bit upset (no, I didn't lose sleep over it or anything), so I decided to put my Millesime Imperial on, even though it was a bit of a cold and I like to wear it in the warmer weather. I went to a Kaufman's to see if they had Givenchy's Very Irresistible for Men (the only new-ish scent I didn't get to try yet; they had it and it was actually pretty nice... do yourself a favor and try it on the skin and not the card), and after being greeted by the lovely lady SA there, she said, "Well, I see... er... smell that you're already familiar with the Sean John Unforgiveable" ARRRRGG!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > > After explaining that I was in fact wearing the real stuff (MI), which came out nearly a decade ago, she was somewhat intrigued. She was familiar with a few Creed frags, but mainly the women's line (or so she claimed, but I trust her because she was one of the most knowledgeable SAs that I've met).

    Besides the unforgivably blatant rip-off, the thing that upsets me most is the fact that I've been wearing MI for quite some time now (and I doubt many college-age kids do), and have been getting nothing but raving praise for it. Now that there is a cheap-ish knockoff of it, I'm afraid of more people confusing my MI with this Sean John crap. My nose can tell the difference between the two (Unforgivable smells pretty synthetic to me, and the drydown is garbage compared to MI's), but most people don't get close enough to get a whiff or don't have as good of a nose. It's a shame you can get away with making something so uninspired and blatantly copying another fragrance. If MI were US currency, I'd have the Secret Service investigate Unforgivable, because it's obviously counterfeit. If MI were a novel, Unforgivable would be it's plagerization, and Creed would be able to sue for copyright infringement. How anyone has the audacity to copy a classic and pass it off as their own, I don't know. Oh well...

    In better news, at the local TJ Maxx, they had M7 deodorant for $5, shower gel for $5, and aftershave balm for $10. Now if there just were any juice left in my bottle, I'd be set...

  30. #30

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Ummmm, MI is mostly synthetic....many people get allergic reactions to real essences of lemon, bergamot and other citrus, especially when exposed to the sun. Perhaps you mean 'less refined'?
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  31. #31

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    As a follow up to my previous post, I still like the smell of Unforgivable...but longevity sucks BIG TIME for me. I've been wearing it a lot for work during the past week. I usually spray myself 6 times before I leave the house. By the time I get to work (30 minutes later), it's barely detectable. And I thought MI's longevity was poor. Nonetheless, it would probably last longer in the warmer months. We'll see soon enough.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    As a follow up to my previous post, I still like the smell of Unforgivable...but longevity sucks BIG TIME for me. I've been wearing it a lot for work during the past week. I usually spray myself 6 times before I leave the house. By the time I get to work (30 minutes later), it's barely detectable. And I thought MI's longevity was poor. Nonetheless, it would probably last longer in the warmer months. We'll see soon enough.
    In the warmer months, I predict it will last less.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    I noticed that when I first tested this, it was actually long lasting, then again it was probably because my body heat was up, running around and it gave off noticeable presence. But when using it now, while doing "normal" activities, like lying on the couch (hehe), I barely get a whiff of it at all. This one needs body heat release a better diffusive effect on it.
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  34. #34

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    On my skin it lasted for 2-3 hours ( 3-4 sprays ) and on a paper strip it lasted for a week!

  35. #35

    Default Re: Unforgiveable: My thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    I noticed that when I first tested this, it was actually long lasting, then again it was probably because my body heat was up, running around and it gave off noticeable presence. *But when using it now, while doing "normal" activities, like lying on the couch (hehe), I barely get a whiff of it at all. *This one needs body heat release a better diffusive effect on it.
    I see your point. Body heat can produce great sillage and therefore less is needed from a powerhouse fragrance. On the otherhand, I was thnking about one sweating it off and it not staying on the skin. So really, I can't say about this one in particular and you will just have to test it in 3 months. Good luck!

Similar Threads

  1. Unforgiveable Black by Sean John
    By mikeperez23 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 16th May 2008, 10:38 AM
  2. Some Serge Lutens thoughts; not quite the convert
    By thenmarcher in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 14th March 2008, 07:37 PM
  3. Your Thoughts on Michael for men and where to get it.
    By The Squire in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13th May 2007, 06:23 AM
  4. Thoughts on my new samples (and more)
    By tiff in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10th June 2006, 06:02 PM
  5. Chanel #5  My thoughts
    By rosbergs3 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd June 2006, 04:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000