Code of Conduct

Default Do Women Really Smell Better?

So, as we read yesterday, do women smell 40X better than men?

This started me thinking about a bunch of scent facts and myths. Thought I'd share my findings with a True or False game. (Answers below):

1) Females, regardless of age, have a better sense of smell then males *T or F?

2) There is tremendous variation in scent perception. In other words, a rose is not a rose is not a rose; no two people smell the same odor the same way and even in one individual, no odor smells the same from one day to the next. *T or F?

3) *Men who have engaged in sex more frequently in the past month find the smell of strawberries particualry arousing. *T or F?

4) The average human being is able to recognize approximately 20,000 different odors (10,000 of them being Creed). *T or F?

5) In humans, the sense of smell plateaus at the age of eight and may begin to decline in sensitivity by as early as age 15 and most likely by age 20. Just forget about it if you old enough to drink or smoke legally or are, God Forbid, even older. T or F?

6) *The blind have been shown to have a keener sense of smell than their sighted counterparts, perhaps in compensation. T or F?

7) Dogs and Pigs have the world's most sensitive noses. Pigs can locate truffles underground and bloodhounds are able to track a human after smelling only five steps. T or F?

8) Your sense of smell is better in the morning. T or F?

9) People do not smell as well lying down. *T or F?

10) The US Department of Defense has funded research to develop a powerful weapon based on scent. Its inventor and the DOD refer to it as "Stench Soup." T or F?

************************************************** ******************************

Correct Answers

* * Females, regardless of age, have a better sense of smell then males.
    1) *False. *In studies of prepubescent boys and girls and in men and women over the age of 45, olfactory acuity was found to be the same for both males and females. However, women of child bearing age have been demonstrated to have a far keener sense of smell than males, detecting concentrations of odors at levels as much as 1000 times lower (in the case of musks) than what males are able to detect. There is no set number of times greater, such as fertile women have a sense of smell 10, 40 or whatever times greater than males; sensitivity varies according to the indivdual odor. Women's keener sense of smell peaks each month when estrogen levels are at their highest (during ovulation.) It is thought that estrogen levels play a decisvie role in the olfactory superiority of young women as the nose structures, number of olfactory receptors and other physical characteristics associated with the ability to smell are the same for both men and women. It has also been demonstrated that women (both childbearing and older) engage larger active areas of their brain when smelling than men.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1796447.stm
    * *There is tremendous variation in scent perception.

2) True. Says Robert Bonkowski, neuropathogist and consultant to the Fragrance Foundation's Sense of Smell Insitute. A person never experiences one scent the same way twice. A person's sensitivity to an odor and ability to detect it strongly, weakly or not at all changes from day to day, according to his or her physiological condition at that moment.

http://www.senseofsmell.org/ (click on Fun facts at bottom of home page)

* *Men who have engaged in sex more frequently in the past month find the smell
    * *of strawberries particualry arousing.

3) True. *Dr. Alan Hirsch, Director of the Chicago-based Smell and Taste Treatment Center and Institute's 2005 study showed that while generally speaking certain scent combinations elicited arousal across the board, there were variations according to age and sexual frequency in particular. *Men who had been very sexually active in the month prior to testing were significantly more aroused by the scent of strawberries. Older men were more sensitive and responsive to vanilla than younger men.

http://www.sexualhealth.com/article....;article_id=13

* *The average human being is able to recognize approximately 20,000
    * *different odors.

4) False. Humans can detect approximately 4,000 - 10,000 different odors.

http://www.cf.ac.uk/biosi/staff/jaco...y/olfact1.html

* *In humans, the sense of smell plateaus at the age of eight.

5) True. Infants and the very young are understandably most acute in their sense of smell as a survival skill. However, training seems to influence scent sensitivity enormously and some 80-year olds have the same scent sensitivity as young adults. All basenotes members, being highly trained, maintain the noses of 8 year olds!

http://www.sirc.org/publik/smell_human.html

* The blind have been shown to have a keener sense of smell.

6) False. A recent study at the University of Pennsylvania debunked this commonly held belief. *In their tests, the group of individuals with the most acute olfactory sense were employees of the Philadelphia Water Department who evaluate water quality as their job. The Penn researchers determined that it is training which most influences performance on smell tests.

http://www.sirc.org/publik/smell_human.html

* *Dogs and Pigs have the world's most sensitive noses.

7) False again. *(I am too mean) But the part about pigs smelling truffles and dogs being able to form a scent memory after only five steps is true. Although dogs have 200,000,000 (Two hundred million) olfactory receptors to our 5-6 million*, Moths are the true aristocrats of the scent kingdom. A male moth can detect and hone in on a scent originating from up to 2.5 miles away or a concentration of one molecule per 100,000,000,000,000,000 (a zillion, literally) -- contrast to us scent-feeble humans requiring an average of 71 molecules per trillion --100,000,000,000,000, or three additional decimal points and 70 additional molecules) If Moths are so clever scent-wise, you may ask, why are they always fluttering around a stinking candle flame until their wings singe?** Odors are vibrating molecules with Infrared frequencies; part of why we (and moths) smell them is sensitivity to their vibrations. Seems flickering candlelight has the same IR frequency as a lady moth's sex pheremones.

http://www.txtwriter.com/Onscience/A...Chemistry.html
    * http://www.senseofsmell.org/
    **http://www.cf.ac.uk/biosi/staff/jaco...y/olfact1.html *

* *Your sense of smell is better in the morning.

8) False again. Sense of smell is least acute in the morning and increases through the day.

http://www.senseofsmell.org/ (Fun facts page)

* *People do not smell as well lying down.

9) *True. *The phrase should really be, "Sit up and smell the coffee."[Lundstrom et al., (2006) "Sit up and smell the roses better: olfactory sensitivity to phenyl ethyl alcohol is dependent on body position". Chemical Senses, e-print ahead of publication, doi:10.1093/chemse/bjj025]

http://www.cf.ac.uk/biosi/staff/jaco...20smell%20less

* *The DOD has funded research to develop "Stench Soup."

10) True. Pam Dalton of the Monell Institute, Philadelphia has invented a mixture of noxious odors which she dubbed "Stench Soup" that can incapacitate targets with overwhelming nausea. (And no, czesc, it has not been sublicensed to L'Artisan.) The US DOD is interested in it as a non-lethal weapon for use in circumstancess where a high concentration of civilian non-combatants precludes more deadly force.

http://www.cf.ac.uk/biosi/staff/jaco...20smell%20less
    Last edited by DustB; 13th October 2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Reduced the large size to normal

Default Re: Do Women Really Smell Better?

Another inyeresting thread from you Sanddrift. Always a pleasure reading what you post. I learn a lot by this.

More input Sandy.

Maisonstinky
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

1. False. I think that you don't just smell better because you are a woman. I think it is pretty neck and neck.

2. False.

3. True... Just because I bet that is some weird subconcious thing that happens and those weird things are true a lot.

4. True. I smell lots of different things and I have so many memorized too.

5. True. I wish it wasn't though. I think my mom has a great sence of smell so it has to differ for each person by a large amount.

6. True

7. False. Moles do. I watched the Animal Planet on it.

8. False. Mine sucks in the morning. I can't even breath!!

9. True. The nasal cavity swells when you lay down.

10. True. The government does some weird stuff.

I didn't do bad I got like 3 wrong!!! I'm not so dumb after all!

Sure we do. We are, in general, superior. :P
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    Sure we do. *We are, in general, superior. * :P
    Haha!!! Oh, FroFro, you make my laugh.... ;D

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    [quote author=FroFro link=1141406344/0#3 date=1141407135]Sure we do. *We are, in general, superior. * :P
    Haha!!! Oh, FroFro, you make my laugh.... ;D[/quote]
    I make everyone's laugh. ;D

That's because (see above) I'm one of the superior beings. :
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Why So Serious?

I think women smell better in general, even if they dont apply any sorts of fragrances, especially their hair and their soft skin, have that wonderful natural sweet smell in them. *Have yet to come across a woman that reeks BO. *:-X
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Very nice post. Great work sanddrift. I really enjoyed it.

I think women smell better, but we are not better at smelling.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    I think women smell better, but we are not better at smelling.
    Very well could be. I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I do have this impression that the vast majority of "Noses" are men.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Interesting post, sanddrift, thanks!

5) In humans, the sense of smell plateaus at the age of eight and may begin to decline in sensitivity by as early as age 15 and most likely by age 20.
    Excllent post (as usual) Sanddrift.

Regarding note #5, I recall coming across an article stating that the scent receptors in humans have the capacity to regenerate themselves (every twenty years?).
    Implying that a 50 year old individual may in some cases have a better sense of smell than a 22 year old, depending on where in this 'regeneration cycle' he might fall.
    I'll see if I can find that article somehow.
    Last edited by DustB; 13th October 2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Reduced font size

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla
    5) In humans, the sense of smell plateaus at the age of eight and may begin to decline in sensitivity by as early as age 15 and most likely by age 20.
    Excllent post (as usual) Sanddrift.

Regarding note #5, I recall coming across an article stating that the scent receptors in humans have the capacity to regenerate themselves (every twenty years?).
    Implying that a 50 year old individual may in some cases have a better sense of smell than a 22 year old, depending on where in this 'regeneration cycle' he might fall.
    I'll see if I can find that article somehow.
    You are right, Godzilla.

Epithelial (skin) Olfactory Receptors -- the ones that line your nose and pick up the odor molecules in the air, then transmit thier information to the olfactory bulb which in turn transmits the signals to the brain -- and Olfactory Ensheathing Cells (which line and support the olfactory bulb) are unique among human neural cells in that they can and do regenerate completely and regularly. However, your time frame is a bit off. These cells regenerate in 45-60 days. One's nasal passages are subject to much environmental assualt (large particles such as cigarette smoke, air pollutants, dust and pollen; excessive dryness; trauma; bloody noses) as well as infection (colds, sinus), allergies, etc. Without regeneration of the receptor cells, it is unlikely one could reach adulthood with the crucial sense of smell intact.

Because of this capacity to regenerate, much research has been focused on the Olfactory receptors and ensheathing cells (particularly fetal ones) in hopes of advancing neural repair for spinal cord injuries, Alzheimer's, ALS, and other CNS damage.

http://www.hhmi.org/research/investigators/reed.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...;dopt=Abstract

example of OEC reserach:

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...=clnk&cd=2

Last edited by DustB; 13th October 2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Reduced font size.

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    3) True. *Dr. Alan Hirsch, Director of the Chicago-based Smell and Taste Treatment Center and Institute's 2005 study showed that while generally speaking certain scent combinations elicited arousal across the board, there were variations according to age and sexual frequency in particular. *Men who had been very sexually active in the month prior to testing were significantly more aroused by the scent of strawberries. Older men were more sensitive and responsive to vanilla than younger men.

The article at
    http://www.acsh.org/healthissues/new...sue_detail.asp
    which I found from the Skeptic's Dictionary site, indicates that scientists are somewhat skeptical of Dr. Hirsch's claims.
    Renato

Excellent review!!!
    Thanks a lot!!!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I thought stench soup was created over 60 years ago, called "BANDIT" !!! LOL!

And perplexing to me is why do women generally have stronger scents to wear when they generally have a keener sense of smell when they're fertile. So if a woman generally wears stronger perfume, is she less likely to get pregnant?

Interesting with the bit about vanillic scents being more appealing to older men. Does that mean that old men like the way I smell when I wear my gourmands and orientals? Bleccch! I think I just got a wake up call!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    *Does that mean that old men like the way I smell when I wear my gourmands and orientals? *Bleccch! *I think I just got a wake up call!
    Phone rings (rrrrriiingggg)...deep voice.."Hello? is iMaverick there? This is Bob. Need to speak with him, he smells soo yummy!" ;D ;D ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I think there are a few different factors that go into how well a person "smells". *As I woman, I will definitely concur that hormones play a part. *Not only during ovulation, but just before I start my cycle (to put it delicately) my sense of smell is extremely keen. *At that time of the month, I actually have a difficult time finding a scent that agrees with me because everything smells too strong. *I also find that I can detect much more nuance in a frag during those days.

Also, I think some people just have a sharper olfactory sense. *I have read reviews from men on the site and been just amazed by what they detected and how well they pulled out individual notes that I was not able to discern. *Some of that is pure experience and practice, but I do believe that some part of that is also jus inherent in the person. *Also a factor is the person's ability to concentrate when they are smelling something - some people have tremendous focus and I would venture a guess that it's possible that while women can multi-task better, perhaps men can absolutely zero in and aim absolute focus on one thing, in this case experiencing a scent. *Just a lazy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=sanddrift link=1141406344/0#0 date=1141406343]

The article at
    http://www.acsh.org/healthissues/new...sue_detail.asp
    which I found from the Skeptic's Dictionary site, indicates that scientists are somewhat skeptical of Dr. Hirsch's claims.
    Renato[/quote]

I don't know Dr. Hirsch but the study seemed methodologically sound and I hate to see anyone swiftboated (unfairly attacked with innuendo, distortions, half truths and untruths)-- Not by you Renato, you are just passing info along, but by the healthissues article. *And besides I would be embarrased if I had referred to something sub par.

So I read the article linked above. Concerning Dr. Hirsch, it is vague and unsubstantiated. For instance, "Scientists are somewhat skeptical" *but no scientists are named or quoted. There was also an assertion that Hirsch's studies were not subject to peer review or published in reputable journals.

So I decide to look into this and below is a link to Hirsch's cv with a list of his published studies, including numerous inclusions in such journal lightweights as

JAMA *The Journal of The American Medical Assoication
    The Journal of Psychiatry and Clincal Neurosciences
    American Journal of Psychiatry
    Neurology
    Journal of Neurological and Orthopaedic Medicine and Surgery
    Journal of American Medical Research
    Journal of Neurological Rehabilitation
    Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
    Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
    Chemical Senses
    etc., etc., etc.

http://www.scienceofsmell.com/scienc...m?action=about
    Last edited by DustB; 13th October 2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Reduced font size

I don't know Dr. Hirsch but the study seemed methodologically sound and I hate to see anyone swiftboated (unfairly attacked with innuendo, distortions, half truths and untruths)-- Not by you Renato, you are just passing info along, but by the healthissues article. *And besides I would be embarrased if I had referred to something sub par.

So I read the article linked above. Concerning Dr. Hirsch, it is vague and unsubstantiated. For instance, "Scientists are somewhat skeptical" *but no scientists are named or quoted. There was also an assertion that Hirsch's studies were not subject to peer review or published in reputable journals.

So I decide to look into this and below is a link to Hirsch's cv with a list of his published studies, including numerous inclusions in such journal lightweights as

JAMA *The Journal of The American Medical Assoication
    The Journal of Psychiatry and Clincal Neurosciences
    American Journal of Psychiatry
    Neurology
    Journal of Neurological and Orthopaedic Medicine and Surgery
    Journal of American Medical Research
    Journal of Neurological Rehabilitation
    Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
    Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
    Chemical Senses
    etc., etc., etc.

http://www.scienceofsmell.com/scienc...m?action=about
    That he is a legitimate doctor specializing in treating people with smell disorders isn't at issue, his quite amazing findings regarding various aspects of aromotherapy seem to be.

His website proudly boasts of his interview in the "prestigous" medical journal - Alternative & Complementary Therapies (the official journal of The Society of Integrative Medicine). Is this really mainstream medicine?

Quite frankly, I've never been aroused by the scent of a strawberry in my life, nor by anything vanilla. Yet this guy has been publishing just this sort of stuff for ages.

So maybe there is really something wrong with me, and not with his "research".

So I conduct my own experiment - I go to numerous ice cream shops and stands. I observe lots of people being served vanilla ice cream, and some even strawberry. Guess what - not one aroused male anywhere in site - despite some truly attractive girls serving it out.

So pardon my skepticism, but I'm a tad cynical by nature (too cynical some say).
    Renato
    Last edited by DustB; 13th October 2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Reduced font size

Yes I would say that women generally smell better than men. Exceptions? of course, but for the most part I really prefer smelling women rather than men. jmo.

That he is a legitimate doctor specializing in treating people with smell disorders isn't at issue, his quite amazing findings regarding various aspects of aromotherapy seem to be.

His website proudly boasts of his interview in the "prestigous" medical journal - Alternative & Complementary Therapies (the official journal of The Society of Integrative Medicine). Is this really mainstream medicine?
    Actually it is mainstream and that is a prestigious and respected journal. Check it out. Alternative and complimentary therapies and integrative medicine have been pretty mainstream since the 80's. And remember many mainstram medical staples were once considered alternative. *Hirsch is respected for far more than work in anosmia. Read the publications list again and study titles/abstracts.

The Medical Journal of Australia estimated in 2003 that one half the population of developed countries avail themselves of some form of complimentary and/or alternative medicine (CAM in the medical community.) In the US, it is estimated that 36% of its population pursue CAM. *Large and prestigious medical schools in the US (Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, etc.) *have large and well-funded departments dedicated to it. Indisputedly top insitutions such as Sloan-Kettering in NYC (arguably the premier cancer treatment research center in the world) have large CAM staffs and offer many CAM therapies to their patients who come from all countries.

I did not see any mention of Hirsch and aromatherapy in the Health Issues article; I'll have to reread it. *They only had a few sentences about him that I saw. And the article mentioned only the weight loss/scent study before it questioned Hirsch's credentials for his research in general. The publications in the cv are for a whole range of research, not just anosmia. That Dr. Hirsch is in business, has a master touch with the press and has gravitated to areas calculated to rake in the dough (like weight loss) is fairly obvious, too. But, still, his work seemed pretty interesting, particularly the research on strokes.

The jury is still out on aromatherapy and its many claims. Some may be true but perhaps for very different reasons than are claimed. Many are just too far fetched for a logical mind to credit.*One impressive study lately tested clary sage and rosemary and found they affected brain alpha waves in exactly the reverse way that aromatherpy says they should. I don't personally put a great deal of stock in aromatherapy qua aromatherapy. * Although, like most of us, do notice that scent and memory and the powerful effects they have on mood can be quite significant. But is that a physical or psychological thing? Is it associative or does it exist without prior experience?

So I conduct my own experiment - I go to numerous ice cream shops and stands. I observe lots of people being served vanilla ice cream, and some even strawberry. Guess what - not one aroused male anywhere in site - despite some truly attractive girls serving it out.
    LOL, Renato. *And how were you determining or measuring this arousal or lack thereof! Were you flying on visual or instruments there....? Did your observing the arousal of fellow males so attentively attract any notice or speculation I wonder? I am just teasing you. * But it is a very funny picture: you lurking in the gelatto parlour, eyes cast downward furtively pursuing your research. * 8-) You may be cynical but you have not lost your sense of humor, darling Renato.

Actually it is mainstream and that is a prestigious and respected journal. Check it out. Alternative and complimentary therapies and integrative medicine have been pretty mainstream since the 80's.
    I guess it depends what we're talking about. As they point out in the Skeptics Dictionary site, applying camphor when you have a cold is really a form of aromatherapy that works - they're just not to sure about the rest of the numerous untested claims. And Hirsch is the darling of the aromatherapy crowd, he gives them a form of legitimacy.

There are plenty of dissenters to the notion that alternative medicine is mainstream - *check out entries for the therapies listed at the Skeptics Dictionary, at
    http://www.skepdic.com/tialtmed.html

And, if you can handle it, the most stomach turning, the most sarcastic, and yet the most hilarious article I've ever read on anything, is their entry for one particular alternative medicine, Urine Therapy, at
    http://www.skepdic.com/urine.html
    Renato

LOL, Renato. *And how were you determining or measuring this arousal or lack thereof! Were you flying on visual or instruments there....? Did your observing the arousal of fellow males so attentively attract any notice or speculation I wonder? I am just teasing you. * But it is a very funny picture: you lurking in the gelatto parlour, eyes cast downward furtively pursuing your research. * 8-) You may be cynical but you have not lost your sense of humor, darling Renato.
    It's pretty easy measuring arousal in males - you just have to look where you wouldn't normally look.
    Males don't usually wear raincoats to get an ice cream.
    Renato *

]it depends what we're talking about. As they point out in the Skeptics Dictionary site, applying camphor when you have a cold is really a form of aromatherapy that works - they're just not to sure about the rest of the numerous untested claims. And Hirsch is the darling of the aromatherapy crowd, he gives them a form of legitimacy.

There are plenty of dissenters to the notion that alternative medicine is mainstream - *check out entries for the therapies listed at the Skeptics Dictionary, at
    http://www.skepdic.com/tialtmed.html

And, if you can handle it, the most stomach turning, the most sarcastic, and yet the most hilarious article I've ever read on anything, is their entry for one particular alternative medicine, Urine Therapy, at
    http://www.skepdic.com/urine.html
    Renato
    It is hillarious. Thanks. But EEEEEWwwwww, yuck! Sounds like something on a reality TV show. I had heard about this urine drinking before. I think I read -- and my recall is good-- that the Dalai Lama as well as many Asian holy- & aescetic-types engage in this practice. I have yet to even hear a theory that would frame this in a way that makes any sense at all to even entertain the notion. I am an open minded skeptic (even a skeptic about being a skeptic, see how bad it is?) BTW --thanks for this skeptics dictionary URL!

No Doubt about it after a casual look at Hirsch's Smell & Taste Treatment Center Website, this guy has a nose for opportunity (sardonic pun intended.) So is it any surprise he would jump on the trendy aromatherapy bandwagon? His background is as an MD in Neurscience and Psychiatry and I would suppose that would predispose one to be intrigued by the mind-body connection. Some delving into aromatherapy might be legit. But -- skeptics of the world unite! --I have to wonder at the legitimate inquiry v. press-grabbing ratio involved.

Alternative medicine is such a huge grab bag of various approaches encompassing everything from prayer to aromatherapy to the stuff that has moved into mainstream medicine , i.e., acupuncture for some applications, not all. Some alternative medicine will have something to it, hangs around long enough through anecdotal success to make itself intriguing to a researcher -- someone like Hirsch --and to eventually be taken seriously enough at some point to attract & merit funding to conduct the very expensive, controlled studies of large sample size that can be peer reviewed. *It's a long --like 10-20 year-- process.

Money does come into this and finding funding is not easy. Especially since there have been increasing crack downs on the funding sources themselves (often appropriate, sometimes overboard as in throwing out the baby with the bath water) and conflict of interest/ethics questions, i.e., drug studies funded by the drug company that makes and sells the stuff. Also research funding is scarcer since the increasing budget cuts of my country to compensate for perhaps unwise tax cuts and our unpopular (and cripplingly expensive) war in Iran.

*I am willing to cut some of these alternative guys some (still slightly skeptical) slack in having difficulty producing big, controlled studies. They are not all snake oil salesman avoiding proof of concept that would bring an end to their party; some just can't get come by the hundreds of thousands of dollars it takes to do the testing.

Trouble is there are so many wolves milling amidst the alternative, complimentary and integrative sheep. *That, I think, is what gets the dander up among many scientists. *Some CAM stuff that consumers shell out billions for has been demonstrated to be totally bogus or very disappointing, i.e., St John's wort, echinacea. *Some things have had mixed studies and are inconclusive or have a study on the wrong aspect, not asking the real question (again, perhaps because they can't afford to measure the thing that really begs to be explored, so they pick a somewhat accpetable proxy.)

Fragrance-wise to get back on topic........

I wish there were more studies going on and more research into mood, behavior and health vis a vis odor/scent.
    Last edited by DustB; 13th October 2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Reduced font size

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=sanddrift link=1141406344/15#22 date=1141808905]
    It's pretty easy measuring arousal in males - you just have to look where you wouldn't normally look.
    Males don't usually wear raincoats to get an ice cream.
    Renato *[/quote]

Now let's be fair. One can get slightly aroused and then switch to thinking *about the American League West, or whatever the equivalent is down under, in order to ellude your eagle eye and those of the attractive female scoopers one does not wish to spook.

More teasing.....How does your study separate out arousal caused by sources other than odor, such as the visual stimulae of the attractive females? *According to your study you could just as legitimately conclude that*the sight of attractive females does not arouse healthy, young males either and strip clubs will begin to close down everywhere bringing on economic tragedy......
    Last edited by DustB; 13th October 2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Reduced font size

It is hillarious. Thanks. But EEEEEWwwwww, yuck! Sounds like something on a reality TV show. I had heard about this urine drinking before. I think I read -- and my recall is good-- that the Dalai Lama as well as many Asian holy- & aescetic-types engage in this practice. I have yet to even hear a theory that would frame this in a way that makes any sense at all to even entertain the notion. I am an open minded skeptic (even a skeptic about being a skeptic, see how bad it is?) BTW --thanks for this skeptics dictionary URL!
    Oh well, as the article says, it's full of vitamins and minerals, so it can't be all bad. I put it in the same category as another recent alternative therapy which has become very popular in the west - Colonic Irrigation.

The Skeptics Dictionary site is a marvellous resource, and a true testament to the gullibility of human kind. Their article on Amway is a must read too.

Anyhow, glad you found it entertaining and informative.
    Renato

Now let's be fair. One can get slightly aroused and then switch to thinking *about the American League West, or whatever the equivalent is down under, in order to ellude your eagle eye and those of the attractive female scoopers one does not wish to spook.

More teasing.....How does your study separate out arousal caused by sources other than odor, such as the visual stimulae of the attractive females? *According to your study you could just as legitimately conclude that*the sight of attractive females does not arouse healthy, young males either and strip clubs will begin to close down everywhere bringing on economic tragedy...... [/size]
    Let me turn this around on you. If I were to tell you that the scents most likely to get you excited are anise, cucumber and pumpkin pie spice, would your immediate reaction be to think I'm nuts?
    (Be honest now - you would, wouldn't you?)

But if I tell you instead, that Dr Hirsh has done much research and found that, if a woman isn't of the near frigid variety, she is most likely to respond to anise, cucumber and pumpkin pie spice, then what would your immediate reaction be?

Have you guessed what the good Doctor's research has indeed found?
    Renato

Let me turn this around on you. If I were to tell you that the scents most likely to get you excited are anise, cucumber and pumpkin pie spice, would your immediate reaction be to think I'm nuts?
    (Be honest now - you would, wouldn't you?)

But if I tell you instead, that Dr Hirsh has done much research and found that, if a woman isn't of the near frigid variety, she is most likely to respond to anise, cucumber and pumpkin pie spice, then what would your immediate reaction be?

Have you guessed what the good Doctor's research has indeed found?
    Renato

A: That just about any stimulous is arousing to healthy, happy humans?

But still, Hirsch had those swanky-scientific numbers for us: *44% more arousing, *18% decrease in arousal. *Funny, the article did not mention any odors decreasing arousal in males. *:-? *

I have eaten and inhaled Good & Plenty licorice candies (the winner for women) without subsequently hurling myself at the nearest hottie or having any more lascivious thoughts than usual -- but that's a constant where I am concerned, so you must eliminate me as an outlier in any standard deviation employed in statistically analyzing data samples. (mockery is so invigorating. I should be ashamed) ;D

Having baked many a pumpkin pie and probably at least once while burning some lavender scented candle (but not the pies) at Thanksgiving time, *I have not noticed my guests becoming randier than usual. And that includes our annual orgy/reunion. * I did not, in fact, notice that I, personally, was any more aroused than my standard baseline *-- to gleefully use some more researchy-sounding language. But then again, my PP & L sparked ardour could have been cooled by the idea of my parents and in-laws impending arrival (more effective than baseball at tamping down eroticism).

But now we come to why I included this info in the quiz to begin with: Its sheer wackiness was so entertaining! Look how much mileage we've gotten out of this silliness.

Still, I do plan a Tom Jones-movie style seduction soon with a banquet of Dr. Hirsch's top fragrance/odor picks. *rrrrow! I'll submit my observations in an abstract soon, complete with things like >.04% and such like :

Alessandra
    Last edited by DustB; 13th October 2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Reduced font size

But now we come to why I included this info in the quiz to begin with: Its sheer wackiness was so entertaining! Look how much mileage we've gotten out of this silliness.

Still, I do plan a Tom Jones-movie style seduction soon with a banquet of Dr. Hirsch's top fragrance/odor picks. *rrrrow! I'll submit my observations in an abstract soon, complete with things like >.04% and such like *:

Alessandra
    Odd how your guests seemed to behave in a manner akin to my ice cream consumers (i.e. normal).

That'll be some banquet - his previously published men's top 4 are the same as the women's, except that men prefer cinnamon to cucumbers - so I suppose cucumbers in a cinnamon bun would be the perfect appetiser and, when coupled with a Pernod apperitive - I doubt you'll both be able to hang on long enough to actually get to eat the pumpkin pie.

I look forward to your report and indepth analysis. However, I would also prefer to see another test done for comparison purposes - one where you wear Angel and a low cut top, and give him a can of Pepsi and a ham sandwich.
    Renato

WOW - what an interesting test!
    I didn't do as well as I thought I might.
    Thank you - that was really informative!

As far as the stench soup - that makes sense.
    The US Government already has those LRAD sound weapons, might as well add a little stink to the arsenal!

It's neutral. Equal.
    The assumption women have naturally more discerning sense of smell is in minor part based on modern cultural stereotypes perpetuated due to weak men being scared off, from showing their level of discernment and appreciation. Simple.

Nice job of dusting off an interesting old post. This sort of Basenotes archaeology is top drawer Basenoting in my books.

I am having a hard time reading this post because of the small font, could you perhaps find something bigger please. :-) J/K. My wife smells naturally better than I do, imo. But as far as fragrances I hold my own.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift View Post
    People do not smell as well lying down. T or F?
    I think it depends on where my nose is at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    I thought stench soup was created over 60 years ago, called "BANDIT" !!! LOL!

oohhhh no you didn't! 0_0
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Do Women Really Smell Better?

No.

Better looking women smell better. Atleast I'd want them to.

I know, I'm a pig

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I got all but #7 right.

Word of advice: Copy and paste the OP on notepad. It will get rid of the huge font...

Someone seriously needs some attention
    Last edited by irish; 13th October 2008 at 11:07 AM.

I'm confused. Is this about whether women have more sensitive noses to other scents, or whether women smell nicer than men smell? The former has been answered by science (women of childbearing age have more sensitive noses than the general adult population) and the latter, well, that depends on all sorts of variables!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

This just makes me think about the time I was in college & sitting through a orchestra performance. This cute classmate named Sara was sitting next to me. She was wearing this intoxicating perfume. Just her scent made me so hot & bothered I was about to wiggle out of my own skin for the couple hours I was sitting next to her. That scent will forever be etched into my memory...but I only have a hazy recollection as to what Sara looked like.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

One thing I'll mention on this thread is an experience of a decade ago. I was teaching a class and one woman, probably mid to late 20s, always reeked of ammonia. I could faintly smell it while I was teaching, though she sat a couple of rows back. I've never come across that before or since, with any man, woman, or child. My eyes would literally start to tear up if she asked me a question after class, and I would move around so that I could take a breath without getting a full dose of that smell. It was like she took a bath in ammonia. Knowing what I do now, I don't think it was a perfume, and it could have been that she had gym class before my class and didn't shower afterward. I'm surprised none of the students who sat next to her seemed to be bothered by it, as far as I can remember.