Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Do Women Really Smell Better?

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift

But now we come to why I included this info in the quiz to begin with: Its sheer wackiness was so entertaining! Look how much mileage we've gotten out of this silliness.

Still, I do plan a Tom Jones-movie style seduction soon with a banquet of Dr. Hirsch's top fragrance/odor picks. *rrrrow! I'll submit my observations in an abstract soon, complete with things like >.04% and such like *:

Odd how your guests seemed to behave in a manner akin to my ice cream consumers (i.e. normal).

That'll be some banquet - his previously published men's top 4 are the same as the women's, except that men prefer cinnamon to cucumbers - so I suppose cucumbers in a cinnamon bun would be the perfect appetiser and, when coupled with a Pernod apperitive - I doubt you'll both be able to hang on long enough to actually get to eat the pumpkin pie.

I look forward to your report and indepth analysis. However, I would also prefer to see another test done for comparison purposes - one where you wear Angel and a low cut top, and give him a can of Pepsi and a ham sandwich.

WOW - what an interesting test!
    I didn't do as well as I thought I might.
    Thank you - that was really informative!

As far as the stench soup - that makes sense.
    The US Government already has those LRAD sound weapons, might as well add a little stink to the arsenal!

It's neutral. Equal.
    The assumption women have naturally more discerning sense of smell is in minor part based on modern cultural stereotypes perpetuated due to weak men being scared off, from showing their level of discernment and appreciation. Simple.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Nice job of dusting off an interesting old post. This sort of Basenotes archaeology is top drawer Basenoting in my books.

I am having a hard time reading this post because of the small font, could you perhaps find something bigger please. :-) J/K. My wife smells naturally better than I do, imo. But as far as fragrances I hold my own.

West Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift View Post
    People do not smell as well lying down. T or F?
    I think it depends on where my nose is at the time.

Santa Monica, CA

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    I thought stench soup was created over 60 years ago, called "BANDIT" !!! LOL!

oohhhh no you didn't! 0_0
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Do Women Really Smell Better?

Better looking women smell better. Atleast I'd want them to.

I know, I'm a pig

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I got all but #7 right.

Word of advice: Copy and paste the OP on notepad. It will get rid of the huge font...

Someone seriously needs some attention
    Last edited by irish; 13th October 2008 at 12:07 PM.

I'm confused. Is this about whether women have more sensitive noses to other scents, or whether women smell nicer than men smell? The former has been answered by science (women of childbearing age have more sensitive noses than the general adult population) and the latter, well, that depends on all sorts of variables!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Overland Park, KS
    Blog Entries

This just makes me think about the time I was in college & sitting through a orchestra performance. This cute classmate named Sara was sitting next to me. She was wearing this intoxicating perfume. Just her scent made me so hot & bothered I was about to wiggle out of my own skin for the couple hours I was sitting next to her. That scent will forever be etched into my memory...but I only have a hazy recollection as to what Sara looked like.
    " David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

One thing I'll mention on this thread is an experience of a decade ago. I was teaching a class and one woman, probably mid to late 20s, always reeked of ammonia. I could faintly smell it while I was teaching, though she sat a couple of rows back. I've never come across that before or since, with any man, woman, or child. My eyes would literally start to tear up if she asked me a question after class, and I would move around so that I could take a breath without getting a full dose of that smell. It was like she took a bath in ammonia. Knowing what I do now, I don't think it was a perfume, and it could have been that she had gym class before my class and didn't shower afterward. I'm surprised none of the students who sat next to her seemed to be bothered by it, as far as I can remember.