Code of Conduct

Default "Soft" smelling fragrances - any recommendations?

Lately I've found myself becoming increasingly attracted to soft-smelling fragrances that are suitable for a guy to wear. Ones I've tried recently that have really hooked me include:

* the new Diors - Bois d'Argent and Cologne Blanche
    * Patou Pour Homme Prive
    * Lutens Douce Amere
    * Creed's Royal English Leather - smells like a vast fragrance to me, but soft and mellow at the same time.
    * Brit for Men
    * Must de Cartier Pour Homme - actually I haven't bought this one yet, but each time I've tried it recently at a department store I've been wowed - does it last, though?

These fragrances all smell different, but to my nose each has a wonderful soft quality to it, without being insipid.

Any recommendations on other soft fragrances for someone who likes the above?

I've tried Dior's Homme, but it didn't seem to take to my skin chemistry for some reason.

I'm after soft fragrances that aren't excessively sweet. Unfortunately, I just can't cope with the sweetness level of some of the gourmands I've tried: Rochas Man, Casran, A"men are all too sweet for me to really enjoy.

Input welcome from all!

Default Re: "Soft" smelling fragrances - any recommendatio

Verve, I got a decant of Chaumet Homme by Chaumet from Marlen today and this is a really nice, softer scent that also has some persistency, so while it's soft it doesn't disappear.

It's kinda woody/leathery and masculine and very, very nice. The Directory has some reviews that do a far better job than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Verve, I got a decant of Chaumet Homme by Chaumet from Marlen today and this is a really nice, softer scent that also has some persistency, so while it's soft it doesn't disappear.

It's kinda woody/leathery and masculine and very, very nice. The Directory has some reviews that do a far better job than I can.

BB. Thx for the tip. Chaumet H definitely sounds like it's worth exploring. Most of the frags I've mentioned above are actually ones I've bought recently from Marlen. That boy has amazing taste. And I think he's also into softer-smelling frags that a guy can wear.

One that I would consider soft (others may disagree) that is starting to grow on me is FM's L'Eau d'Hiver.

I would definately describe the 2 best fig fragrances - Philosykos and Premier Figuier - as "soft" smelling. Don't let the fact that Premier Figuier is labeled as feminine bother you. The 2 are very similar, with Philosykos being a little woody where PF is a little nutty (almond).

OK, people may totally disagree with this, but I think Tabarome Millesime is very soft but masculine at the same time. I think I fell this because of how well the ginger is balanced and mixed in.

You might want to try Nemo (incense), Envy (cinnamon woody), Passage d'Enfer (incense), Tam Dao (sandalwood),

Try any of the Hermessence frags...soft, yet manly enough. And you have definitely not been baptized until you haven't tried Dzing! Hehe.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

How about JHL, a masculine oriental.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I find Magnetism by Escada a soft scent. Armania Mania as well.

I believe you're looking for something with a soft sandalwood base. As Vegas already mentioned, Passage d'Enfer and Tam Dao are some great ones.

And from way out in left field: Acqua di Biella Baraja. Gee, I pick cheap fragrances.

Goes on shower-fresh and soapy, softens down like the rinse cycle, vanishes, and then reappears as a fantastic woodish skin scent without that "I'm wearing a winter's walk, dammit!" overkill. Wears a bit like Hotel Costes, which I also am going to recommend.

Bois Farine and Daim Blond (after it dries down). Some may not consider DB masculine enough,but that soft suede/leather dry down is amazing -- it isn't too 'girly' IMO.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

An intersting question, here's a few--taking Creed's REL and its mellow quality as the starting point:

Niche,

* MpG: Santal Noble
    * Serge Lutens: MKK
    * SMN: Acqua di Cuba
    * Etro: Gomma

Designer amd Mainstream,

* Annuci PH
    * Roberto Cavalli Man
    * Salvador by Salvadoe Dali
    * Nicole Miller for Men
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Squires. I'm quite stunned by the response here! So many interesting suggestions, including quite a few frags I've never tried - or even heard of - when it comes to a "softer" experience in fragrances. Actually, most of the frags I currently own and love are ones I've bought after reading about them on this board, including all the ones I've mentioned in my root post above -I don't think I would ever have tried any of those fragrances but for Bnotes. Of course, that means I'm going to hold you personally responsible if I sink into personal bankruptcy after trying your suggestions!

Only kidding lads, keep the suggestions coming!

Eau d'Hiver and LV Musk are my absolute favourites; extremely soft and sensual. I don't think you'll be dissapointed with these gems!

I would like to second Tam Dao and Passage D'Enfer.

I would add a couple of designers: *Helmut Lang --baby powder soft. And the softest fragrance I've experienced--cK be--so soft its almost nonexistant. *It's one of two CK's that I approve of.

Verve, if you like Brit, I'd recommend Escada Magnetism. To me, it has a similar soft feel, but I like it even better than Brit (and I like Brit a lot).

I also think of M7 as having a soft feel, although I can how others might disagree, and it has quickly become one of my favorites.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    Verve, if you like Brit, I'd recommend Escada Magnetism. To me, it has a similar soft feel, but I like it even better than Brit (and I like Brit a lot).

I also think of M7 as having a soft feel, although I can how others might disagree, and it has quickly become one of my favorites.

--Steve
    Funny, I actually ended up choosing between Brit and Magnetism. I also like Magnetism more than Brit. Just remember that Magnetism isn't soft in the beginning - on my skin I have to wait for 10 minutes or so before the weird topnotes go away.

Also Bulgari Black turns into a very soft vanilla after some time but the rubber smell in it might turn you off.

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    And the softest fragrance I've experienced--cK be--so soft its almost nonexistant.

I will second ck be. I love that fragrance. Romance Silver by Ralph Lauren, Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret are two that you might be interested in.

Hmm. I don't know whether it is soft or not, but I have considered Habit Rouge a velvety scent in the past.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Any of the Gendarmes.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

marlen? all of these french sounding fragrances, where can i find them>??? Do i have to go to europe?!?

The only places i know are department stores and makeup type places

The softest fragrances in my collection are:

Dior Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Creed Royal Water
    Guerlain Vetiver

I second Nemo. So soft and cozy.

Wow! This whole 'soft' thing is subjective indeed! Of the ones suggested, especially Guerlain Vetiver and Romance Silver are both sharp instead of soft in my humble opinion. But when you use adjectives like this when it comes to olfaction, you are bound to get some different opinions. After all, soft is something you can feel, not smell.

I might suggest one of my favourites, Royal Bain de Caron. After the intial effervescent blast it dries down to a warm soft comfort scent, a "soft oriental". Not everyone's cup of tea, but I wouldn't be without it!

I agree with Eau d'Hiver.

Plus i'll throw in:

Caron's Pour Un Homme (after it dries down).

Chez Bond by Bond 9.

Greyland by Montale.

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

For me thes softest scent ever is Jaipur EdT.

not to add to the creed frenzy on the boards, but every creed does smell soft (and round) to me. it's the ambergris they put in everything. so there's a whole house of soft for you.

minotaure is also very soft.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard
    I will second ck be. I love that fragrance. Romance Silver by Ralph Lauren, Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret are two that you might be interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    Wow! This whole 'soft' thing is subjective indeed! Of the ones suggested, especially Guerlain Vetiver and Romance Silver are both sharp instead of soft in my humble opinion. But when you use adjectives like this when it comes to olfaction, you are bound to get some different opinions. After all, soft is something you can feel, not smell.
    I'll second Romance Silver. And I'll add in Boss Bottled. They smell soft to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailric
    I find Magnetism by Escada a soft scent. Armania Mania as well.
    Agree with Magnetism. It's the main reason why I like it.

Default Re: "Soft" smelling fragrances - any recommendations?

I would say try Marc Jacobs...soft and nice
    ~Alan
    stores.ebay.com/ePerfumery
    Beverly Hills Perfumery

If you buy anything from my eBay store, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TELL ME YOU ARE A BASENOTES MEMBER!!! I will throw in a bonus sample or mini!

WANTED FOR SWAP: B*Men, Pure Coffee, Angel Ice Man

TDC's Un Parfum des Sens et Bois
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Talking Re: "Soft" smelling fragrances - any recommendations?

Where do these old topics come from? I'll have to second myself from year 2005, L'Eau de Hiver and LV Musk aren't bad suggestions at all.

The original poster hasn't been here since 2006.

But he could be still looking for that perfect fragrance....

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

My recommendations are:

Burberry London

Fahrenheit 32

Allure Homme

Hypnose Homme

Jaipur
    Pi
    L`Instant
    Burberry Touch
    Guerlain Homme

Prada Infusion d'Iris or the Homme version... I prefer the Iris female version myself.

Softies:

Jaipur Homme - soft vanilla
    Kiton Black - soft fruit suede
    LV Yerbamate - soft herbs
    Dior Homme - soft iris leather
    Joseph Statkus - soft incense
    Kolnisch Juchten - dark leather & softness
    Armani Mania - soft linen
    Signoricci - soft citrus
    Daime Blonde - apricot suede

I'll endorse L'Eau d'Hiver, Ambre Precieux, & Tam Dao. Allure Homme is also a smooth fragrance

Second Helmut Lang EDC. Soft, powdery musk and sweet woods. Great stuff!
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

The notion of softness seems to vary tremendously here, so I suggest sampling and determining what notes and construction you like, then asking the question again but in a more specific context.

Versace Baby Blue Jeans would be my recommendation.

The unisex Guerlain Après L'ondée is probably one of the softest fragrances around. Think barely audible piano notes off in the distance.

Carven Homme is supremely good and soft.
    Last edited by abc1234; 27th February 2009 at 05:52 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Daim Blond - Serge Lutens
    Santal - L'Artisan Parfumeur
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I second (or third or...) Helmut Lang, and add Vol de Nuit by Guerlain. I prefer the edt over the extrait.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Encre Noir
    SMN Nostalgia
    Sever SL's, my personal favourites in the "softness" department, Daim Blond, Dattura Noir, Iris Silver Mist
    L' homme du Coeur
    Aramis 900 (the ultimate floral for men)

Two soft fragrances which I would recommend as being very elegant would be Penhaligon's Opus 1870 which just smells soooo classy, it's addictive.

I would also recommend (ignore the somewhat dismissive reviews in the BN Directory) is the original Canali for men which is masculine and refined in a classic cologne sense. A real smart jacket/suit fragrance which women will love.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...