Code of Conduct

Thread: n00b

Default n00b

Hello all.

Just found this site by accident and I'm glad I did.

I was actually looking for of Dolce & Gabbana because a friend recommended it.

I'm trying to update my frag rotation to something more sophisticated, other than the usual curve, cool water etc.

I'm looking for about 3 good frag to start out.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Default Re: n00b

It'll help if you tell us your age and what you wear now (curve and cool water, anything else?) And also what you are looking for in frag (formal wear, office wear, hanging out, etc). Oh, and the climate where you live.

Sorry.

I'm sure that would help.

30 yrs old, need something for the office and something for the evening.
    Not clubs exactly, more like upscale bars and lounges. Nothing formal.

Climate is getting warm and soon it will be very hot and humid.

Right now I wear Curve, Very Sexy from Victoria's Secret and something I got from Banana republic.

Hope that helps.

Only thing I can say to you is that don't buy anything because you've heard it's good, after all, that's probbaly the reason you bought Cool Water and Curve in the first place. There are alot of threads similar to this one, and the directory is also very useful! There is so much information in this website that naming some fragrances here is nothing compared to it.

Welcome and good luck with your search of great scents!

Bvlgari Blu Notte pour Homme would be my number one pick. I wear it but I think it would suit a more elderly age group of your type (I'm only 18, and I'm not calling you old ) I think it is perfect for an office and would do nicely for you.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    Bvlgari Blu Notte pour Homme would be my number one pick. I wear it but I think it would suit a more elderly age group of your type (I'm only 18, and I'm not calling you old ) I think it is perfect for an office and would do nicely for you.
    As an example of just how subjective frangrance preferance is, I'd like to chime in that Bvlgari Blve Notte makes me want to barf all over the place. May well be the frag ive had the worst reation to ever (im 24 tomorrow, so closer to your age. not that that matters so very much).

So got to the mall and smell around, get some ideas of stuff you like and stuff you don't and THEN ask the forum. A few starting coordinates will help us give you much more tailored advice.

I would say Egoiste (not the platinum version though) for the office and Body Kouros for the evening applied very discreetly on your chest under clothing. If you even overdo just a little, these would be disastrous in hot & humid weather. If you go just the right amount, they will work like a charm.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Hey there!!

I'm sorry to be this conservative (even though my wardrobe displays otherwise!! LOL!), but my suggestion is to go out and sniff as much as you can!! Seriously......what I think is great or what I find wears well on me may not be your cup of tea!! Kenny, seeing as you're starting to expand your horizons, go out and sample whatever you can and I would recommend you do so on your skin. The strips are just a snippet of what a frag contains. They are no indication of how a scent behaves or evolves on your skin. Take this as honest advice from the one Basenotes member with arguably the most bizarre skin chemistry out of all the folks in the community.

Here's a good example: Le Male is liked quite well by some here, but on me, this scent is an absolute disaster!! I'm not saying this is a horrible scent.....I'm sure that on some it's great. But it's not for me.

Remember: Let your nose be your guide!!

;D ;D ;D

If you friends think D&G is the next step up, then see if you can sample this. Also, considering that all the ones you mentioned are in the Fresh Fougere category, maybe ask about these. I'd suggest some, but I don't understand the fresh scents very well.

It's quite a jump from Curve and Cool Water to Egoiste. *There are many intermediate steps--here are a few to try:

Dolce and Gabbana--your friends like it and it is an excellent scent. *The problem is it is so much everywhere-if you can handle that, check it out--it's a good one. Hot weather--Maybe...

Azzaro Visit--has a lot going for it in its movement from top to base. *Almost like three different colognes. *I'm not sure about hot weather.

John Varvatos--young person classy-excellent choice for the office. *Not the best for hot weather.

Bulgari Pour Homme--one of the best all around scents there is. *Great for office. *Class. *Great for hot weather.

Lanvin L'Homme--a personal favorite of mine--had to mention it. *Perfect for office. Great for hot weather.

Live Jazz by YSL--one of the favorites here--excellent for office--great for hot weather.

Whatever you do, be sure to check them out on your skin--it's the only way.

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    It's quite a jump from Curve and Cool Water to Egoiste. *There are many intermediate steps--here are a few to try:

Dolce and Gabbana--your friends like it and it is an excellent scent. *The problem is it is so much everywhere-if you can handle that, check it out--it's a good one. Hot weather--Maybe...

Azzaro Visit--has a lot going for it in its movement from top to base. *Almost like three different colognes. *I'm not sure about hot weather.

John Varvatos--young person classy-excellent choice for the office. *Not the best for hot weather.

Bulgari Pour Homme--one of the best all around scents there is. *Great for office. *Class. *Great for hot weather.

Lanvin L'Homme--a personal favorite of mine--had to mention it. *Perfect for office. Great for hot weather.

Live Jazz by YSL--one of the favorites here--excellent for office--great for hot weather.

I agree with these recommendations
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Office: Gendarme 20, Bulgari PH, Creed OV or MI, Paco Rabbane PH
    Night: Herrera for Men, Loewe Esencia, Azzaro PH

If you're looking for something reasonably sophisticated but not to complicated and which doesn't smell like everyone else, try Miracle Homme by Lancome. My husband wears this one and I really like it. You may not, but, hey, you can give it a try and see.

bonni
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Yeah, I'd also recommend Bvlgari pour homme!
    Another suggestions:
    Office/daily wear: Davidoff Echo, Aramis Life, Polo Blue, Alfred Sung pour homme, Boucheron pour homme.
    Night: Gucci Envy, Lacoste pour homme, Givenchy PI, S.T. Dupont Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    Yeah, I'd also recommend Bvlgari pour homme!
    Another suggestions:
    Office/daily wear: Davidoff Echo, Aramis Life, Polo Blue, Alfred Sung pour homme, Boucheron pour homme.
    Night: Gucci Envy, Lacoste pour homme, Givenchy PI, S.T. Dupont Signature.

Bvlgari PH's great but I think that it wears off to quickly. Nonetheless, it's a fantastic frag.

I love Echo too but it has no staying power at all.
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

Quote Originally Posted by KennyK
    Right now I wear Curve, Very Sexy from Victoria's Secret and something I got from Banana republic.
    Before I got into colognes, these are the three I wore most often. Assuming you have similar taste to mine, I'd give Allure Homme by Chanel a try, as well as Paco Rabanne XS and maybe even Ungaro III. Not really the same family, but I have a strange sort of logic. Really, though, you just need to go shop around and see what you like.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll be sure to check all of them out.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX
    [quote author=foetidus link=1141316489/0#9 date=1141363670]It's quite a jump from Curve and Cool Water to Egoiste. *There are many intermediate steps--here are a few to try:

I agree with these recommendations
    [/quote]

Agreed. Excellent advice and recommendations.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll be sure to check all of them out.
    O'rly?

Office: Eau Sauvage, Dior Higher, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Allure Sport, Bvlgari Pour Homme, Bvlgari Aqva, Polo Blue, Live Jazz, Gendarme, Mugler's Cologne

Night: Dior Homme, Allure Homme, L' Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme, Heritage, Gucci Pour Homme, Gucci's Envy for Men, Brit for Men, A*men

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    [quote author=KennyK link=1141316489/15#16 date=1141402263]Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll be sure to check all of them out.
    O'rly?[/quote]

Wow strong small world.

Unicorn.

[quote author=RTbar link=1141316489/15#18 date=1141601505][quote author=KennyK link=1141316489/15#16 date=1141402263]Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll be sure to check all of them out.
    O'rly?[/quote]

Wow strong small world.

Unicorn.[/quote]
    lmaonade rolfcopter

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    [quote author=KennyK link=1141316489/15#20 date=1141658844][quote author=RTbar link=1141316489/15#18 date=1141601505][quote author=KennyK link=1141316489/15#16 date=1141402263]Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll be sure to check all of them out.
    O'rly?[/quote]

Wow strong small world.

Unicorn.[/quote]
    lmaonade rolfcopter[/quote]

Listen man,

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

Wow, i must be missing something here that made that guy so mad...

Btw, Kenny, please take your sedatives for the day or at least explain wtf you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMaivia
    Wow, i must be missing something here that made that guy so mad...

Btw, Kenny, please take your sedatives for the day or at least explain wtf you are talking about.
    Inside joke...

reps when i recharge