Code of Conduct

Default Early Terre d'Hermes review and info

Default Re: Early Terre d'Hermes review and info

Thanks youngscholar. I don't know ... another watery citrusy fragrance, :-/ i think i will be disappointed with this one. Better lower my expectations.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

It sounds like we get new scent somewhere in between of Cologne Thierry Mugler and Jean Luc Amsler Homme Privee...

Sounds good and mouthwatering, but not very original...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I get the feeling that it will definitely smell "HERMESESQUE" in the sense that I haven't smelled any qualities comparable to any other frag to date. Hermes scents are unique, no doubt. So 'beautiful' may be something subjective, but of course we're hopefully expecting at least something remarkable from this new scent, considering we generally pay more for an Hermes scent at retail.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Ogilvy's in Montreal received a preview tester of Terre d'Hermès and I scooted off downtown yesterday with a friend to try it out.

What can I say other than.....well.....not much unfortunately. Fleetingly citrus at start - nice grapefruit/orange opener - that quickly transitions toward sharper, metallic like middle notes of stainless steel (flint and gunpowder), delicate though. This cold heart stays with the fragrance for most of its half-life and every once in a while the intial grapefruit pokes through, reminiscent of its opening hand.

I can't say it developed anywhere beyond that. Deliberately crafted without musk (as was said in the Ellena review), it lingers nicely but lacks depth and resolution in my opinion. I expected the same sprightly resonance as Equipage and Rocabar, but it seemed to fall rather short of those. Again, with one application, it's rather hard to deliver a complete verdict.

It will retail at CAN$145 for the large bottle (which was nice - a thinner version of the Dior Homme housing - with little legs to prop it up). Holt Renfrew, a competitor, said they would have it by mid-March.

In the end, it resembles the other Ellena creations - Jardin Mediterranée / Nil - with the addition of that silex note that predominates the entire fragrance. Those of you who have tried Smalto's FullChoke will immediately feel the similarity, except that FC is set against a much more floral backdrop and has much more depth to my mind.

Mario

Oh no,... I was expecting it would be like this. Still I want to sample this before I send this to the land of dissapointments. Jean Claude Elena ..hmm,... , a bit overhyped this perfumer is? I don't know. I like Declaration, but Frederick Malles Cologne Bigarade, Jardin en Mediteranee, nice , but ..Yawn!! We will see.

FOr those who actually tried it out, did it smell more masculine than feminine?

Also, I actually like lighter, less cloying/overpowering scents. I don't like scents that allow you to announce your arrival a mile away.

Is this what Terre is like?

It may project somewhat at first but I couldn't really smell it on my person a couple of hours later. Actually, it's rather personal and toned down even though I gave the bottle a good whack!

Well, I've already bought a bottle of this for myself
    It IS citrusy but not a simple a sharp smell, but an impression of sweet juicy orange
    very nice. Just imagine citrusy Eau des Merveilles - so this one is citrusy in the same manner
    Then earthy patchouly accord joins and the smell becomes very comfortable and sophisticated
    This is not disappointment, this is a wonderful creation from Hermes...
    BUT I find in unisex...

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRat
    Well, I've already bought a bottle of this for myself
    It IS citrusy but not a simple a sharp smell, but an impression of sweet juicy orange
    very nice. Just imagine citrusy Eau des Merveilles - so this one is citrusy in the same manner
    Then earthy patchouly accord joins and the smell becomes very comfortable and sophisticated
    This is not disappointment, this is a wonderful creation from Hermes...
    BUT I find in unisex...

hm...unisex? I was hoping it would be more on the masculine side. I don't want it to come off as un jardin sur nil or it's cousin.

In retrospect, it is not at all feminine from my point of view. No sweetness at all, just a kiss of bright orange followed by a flinty metallic smell and maybe a touch of wood.

No, not feminine to my mind. My friend got lots of compliments on it. I got one good one as well.

It won't disappoint anyone I'm sure. It's not earthshattering either.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodefior
    In retrospect, it is not at all feminine from my point of view. No sweetness at all, just a kiss of bright orange followed by a flinty metallic smell and maybe a touch of wood.

No, not feminine to my mind. My friend got lots of compliments on it. I got one good one as well.

I think I would like this scent. One thing I was hoping Terre would not be like is Un jardin sur de nil.

I liked Un jardin, but I thought it was a little too feminine (and it should be since it's unisex). I hoped Terre would be a bit more masculine.

That being said, I was interested in your comment about it not being "earthshattering" since other people have said something similar.

I don't mind if a scent isn't earthshattering. Most are not. However, when you say earthshattering do you mean "bold" or "strong"? D&G PH is a scent that I could imagine some people consider earthshattering, but when i smelled it, I thought it was too bold and way too strong!

I like scents that are closer to the skin and obviously nice to smell in a manly way, and that's what I'm hoping for in Terre.

THanks.

Quote Originally Posted by youngscholar
    [quote author=mariodefior link=1141500482/0#10 date=1141606514]In retrospect, it is not at all feminine from my point of view. No sweetness at all, just a kiss of bright orange followed by a flinty metallic smell and maybe a touch of wood.

I think I would like this scent. One thing I was hoping Terre would not be like is Un jardin sur de nil.

I liked Un jardin, but I thought it was a little too feminine (and it should be since it's unisex). I hoped Terre would be a bit more masculine.

That being said, I was interested in your comment about it not being "earthshattering" since other people have said something similar.

I don't mind if a scent isn't earthshattering. Most are not. However, when you say earthshattering do you mean "bold" or "strong"? D&G PH is a scent that I could imagine some people consider earthshattering, but when i smelled it, I thought it was too bold and way too strong!

I like scents that are closer to the skin and obviously nice to smell in a manly way, and that's what I'm hoping for in Terre.

THanks.[/quote]

No, I think that Un Jardin Sur le Nil IS feminine, not unisex
    But Terre is unisex. I didn't try it on my husband's skin yet, but on me it IS sweet and citrusy
    This one can be weared by a woman without being shocking -that's all
    Terre is much more masculine - do not worry. I'm sure you will like it