Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Cool Water thread

WARNING: This is not about the oft-quoted resemblances to GIT. Read at your own risk.

Anyhoo, I was at Von Maur today, and like always, I saw a guy who was sniffing different colognes. On smelling strips, no less.

He tried out Tommy Bahama, HM, and Angel Men. But then, he spotted Cool Water, gave it a sniff, and bought some at the full $48 price tag, completely ignoring the T&H scents and some of the other decent scents there. For a moment, I felt like intercepting the purchase, especially given that his daughter was buying some Coco Mademoiselle.

This leads me to think: What moron in the world would buy Cool Water at full price at a store that carries some decent scents? Especially given the fact that the Wal-Mart across the street probably sells it for half the price...
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Default Re: Another Cool Water thread

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    This leads me to think: What moron in the world would buy Cool Water at full price at a store that carries some decent scents? Especially given the fact that the Wal-Mart across the street probably sells it for half the price...
    We were all ignorant once....

This reminds me, it's so funny when you go to a department store and someone asks to smell AdG and react like wow that's amazing; liek they haven't smelled it before.

nearfantastica

My question is... why would you even care what he's buying?? I can't stand it when people act like frag snobs. To be an enthusiast is one thing, but what is the point of judging another person's tastes or purchases?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ouch on that one....

I sometimes think the same thing. They don't know about the sites that you can get them for cheeper at. I've seen it happen all the time. My girlfriend bought Lolita Lempicka for $80!!! I got it for 50+ less online. She returned it right after. I think Cool Water is a great scent a good pick now that the warmer weather will be rolling in.

I think he should have gone for the Angel though. At that price online he could have found Angel and been much more happy IMO... I know I would have been.

Yea like I said, frags are like fine foods. everyone has their own taste. one might devour a certain dish that I might not go near, and visa versa.

yea I stopped buying frags from dept stores a while back. long live ebay
    (PS, i did find some nice deals at TJ Maxx though)

Cool water 125mL with 75mL shower gel $25
    Dunhill Desire Blue 50mL w/ Deodoraant 50mL and 50mL shower gel $25
    Realities gift set (100mL spray, after shave, shower gel) $20

I wanted to pick up cool water myself because some of the people I come across still like it....so yea, it doesn't hurt to have it in your closet...

I just purchased Azzaro Visit from ebay (it was a blind purchase based on reviews here)
    3.4 oz Visit brand new retail box
    2.5 oz deodorant retail box
    9oz head and body shampoo tester pckgng
    6.8oz shower gel tester pckgng

all for $42 w/ shipping.

what do you think
    1) of the frag
    2) of the deal....
    3) please refrain from comparing it to any of the Creeds, and let's stick to what's available in Marshall Field's Carson Prairies'....

Post Thanks / Like

CyberAthlete,

That's not a bad deal on the set. However, I do like the scent but cannot think of a single Creed that it compares to. Visit is a great scent steeped in spices and a rich cedarwood/incense base. I hope you like it!!!

Have fun!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by nearfantastica
    My question is... why would you even care what he's buying?? *I can't stand it when people act like frag snobs. *To be an enthusiast is one thing, but what is the point of judging another person's tastes or purchases?
    Coming from this site, he should care to notice when someone is being ripped off like that. I agree with you that we shouldn't judge another person's taste, and Cool Water has proven popular through the years, but I feel bad he had to pay $48 for it. I used to work at a General Nutrition Center (GNC), and most of the stuff we charged there was more than twice of what it was actually worth. I understand that the glass flacons can be expensive, but there nothing as far as supply/demand goes that would make me believe that Cool Water is worth forking over $50 dollars for (not from personal preference, but for actual cost).

I don't know MFfan, sometimes people just like going to the stores and buying something right there for full price. Ordering over the Internet or buying from Walmart extracts some from the experience I get when I go to a boutique, smell something, and commit myself to it right then and there. Maybe this guy had one of those times with Cool Water?

also, some have to have it there and then. I know if I have the money, I would just walk into Neiman Marcus and put all the frags in a cart and just purchase them. I wouldn't care to wait for ebay or wonder if I am getting the real deal or not.

Don't forget that part of the price is peace of mind...i know if I had to doubt half the sellers on ebay, regardless of the deals, I would pay full price at an authorized retailer.

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an opposite experience. *A few weeks back i was at Sephora on the weekends, the store was packed with people, and there were quite a few young men at the men's section. *I was testing some fragrances beside this young guy probably in his early 20s like myself. *After quite a bit of testing, i saw him finally picked out Gucci Pour Homme. *I was really impressed, out of all the generic popular frags he chose a classic scent. *I walked over and asked him if he liked classic traditional scents. *He told me he was buying it for his dad.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

there can be many reasons why one must be buying colognes.

Could be for nostalgic value/purpose.

I have a mixed collecton of colognes. some very youthful/fresh, and a few refined/classics

I will be buying Gucci Envy very soon...check out my wardrobe...

Funny how I used to love smelling CW in the air, not because of wearing it myself, but from all the others who could actually afford it way back when, but now nostalgia is the only reason that makes me pull it out of my arsenal these days.

The heralding still goes on to this day, GIT will always be the "true composition" because it came out first. Which company made more money is obvious, and in fragrance history CW had produced many "clones" by other companies to compete.

So which is TRULY better...CW or GIT??? I guess if the bottles were sitting side by side to test, would it change history?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

As much as I love GIT, I get about 3 hours out of it. For the price, I wish I would get more longevity.
    Peace ~ Markymark

You see, some people met or came across a celebrity or maybe a common joe wearing GIT, the pleasant smell is registered in their mind. When they are out hunting for a fragrance and tested Coolwater, it rings "Bingo!" and thats why they bought it thinking its GIT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    What moron in the world would buy Cool Water at full price at a store that carries some decent scents? Especially given the fact that the Wal-Mart across the street probably sells it for half the price...
    Are you implying that Cool Water, one of the biggest selling scents of all time, isn't a decent scent?

Or just that some people aren't savvy with their money?
    Renato