Code of Conduct

Default Joop Aftershave SUPER Splash

Due to the nature of sales and bargain hunting, I've wound up with a much bigger bottle of Joop aftershave splash than my bottle of Joop EDT. As I use less aftershave splash than EDT, I was wondering how I was ever going to finish it.

So I had a bright idea and put some aftershave splash into a small spray bottle, intending to use it as sort of a light Joop Cologne. I sprayed some aftershave on under my clothes two nights ago - it smelled fabulous.

But it didn't quite work out as I anticipated - two whole days have elapsed and my shirt is still reeking of Joop - it just isn't anywhere near as low as cologne strength. It still amazes me that Joop Aftershave splash is stronger and much longer lasting than 90% of all the designer EDTs. What an amazing scent!

Just curious, apart from me and the Scentimus, are there still any other Joop fans left at Basenotes?
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 4th June 2011 at 02:52 AM.

Default Re: Joop Aftershave SUPER Splash

On others in moderation it can be fantastic. As for myself, the one bottle I went through in my early burglary years was enough for a lifetime.

MMM

The other one though, which I know you (Renato) aren´t too fond of, Nightflight, I find superb. Atomic longevity also + a very pleasant masculine sweetness, a little decadent almost. Must buy it when I go abroad again.

MMM

& Too stray even more offtopic - doesn´t Vol de nuit mean just Nightflight? Did Joop! rip Guerlain´s name off, or is it some sort of hommage?

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    The other one though, which I know you (Renato) aren´t too fond of, Nightflight, I find superb. Atomic longevity also + a very pleasant masculine sweetness, a little decadent almost. Must buy it when I go abroad again.

MMM
    Nightflight went very cheap down here 5 years ago, then disappeared. Normally that means it's gone for good. But, curiously enough, it's come back into some stores at the moment, though not at it's original price.

I'm always interested in ultra long lasting scents. I might put on a fresh shirt one night, go down to the chemist and spray some on and see how it compares to Joop's longevity.

Maybe Mr. Joop liked the concept, but not language that Guerlain used?
    Renato

Joop is a very unique fragrance for its long lasting powers. I believe the only scent that can stand beside it in this catagory is Poison by Dior.

I've loved both Joop! Homme & Nightflight for years. *Both were my first introduction to fragrance. *Truly classic scents. *

Don't know how you use more EDT that After shave splash. *Years ago, I bought a Nightflight set of EDT & AS and went through the AS pretty quickly.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy
    I've loved both Joop! Homme & Nightflight for years. *Both were my first introduction to fragrance. *Truly classic scents. *

Don't know how you use more EDT that After shave splash. *Years ago, I bought a Nightflight set of EDT & AS and went through the AS pretty quickly.
    It's good to see that the number of people who like Joop at Basenotes, has now swollen by 50%!

I always use more EDT because I don't regularly use aftershave splash, since it usually stings too much and leaves me with red splotches and flakey skin.
    Instead I put on an aftershave balm like Nivea for Men Extrasensitive or Rexona for Men. Then, if I want to have the aftershave smell about my face, I wait for about 20 minutes before applying the aftershave splash.

The only good aftershave splash I ever came across, which was nearly as good as a balm, was Mennen Skin Bracer.
    Renato

Hmm, I never thought I could do that to my Bvlgari PH Aftershave Lotion. I bought it thinking it would actually be a lotion (inmo lotion is something white and milky) but nooo, it was a plain aftershave and I never ever use those. But I had broken the seal of the package and could therefore not return it. Now I know what to do with it, funny I never figured that myself... Thanks Renato.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Hmm, I never thought I could do that to my Bvlgari PH Aftershave Lotion. I bought it thinking it would actually be a lotion (inmo lotion is something white and milky) but nooo, it was a plain aftershave and I never ever use those. But I had broken the seal of the package and could therefore not return it. Now I know what to do with it, funny I never figured that myself... Thanks Renato.
    The good thing about aftershave splashes is that they hardly ever go off, and their scent is always the same as their EDTs, which can't always be said for their aftershave balm equivalents.

The bad thing about the splashes is that they have wildly different strengths - some lasting for barely an hour, while others last 7 or 8. They usually last about an hour and a half longer than their balm equivalents.

Good luck with your Bvlgari.
    Renato

I love Joop. I think the best version is their body lotion.

I only use a drop about the size of an Altoid mint. To me, the body lotion is a much softer version of Joop without the huge projection and silage that the edt has.

I am a big fan of Joop! It was the first fragrance that I actually fell in love with.

Quote Originally Posted by mason
    I love Joop. *I think the best version is their body lotion. *

I only use a drop about the size of an Altoid mint. *To me, the body lotion is a much softer version of Joop without the huge projection and silage that the edt has.
    But is this really Joop? To me, Joop is all about the huge projection and the sillage.
    Renato

Joop to me symbolized the breaking of general male standards to colognes. Fruity, bold, sweet, and therefore, MANLY in its new gender-bending right! I'm gonna press the fact that it's the better version compared to Gaultier2, seems to last in a more refined way due to its complexity.

Did we forget that fragrance today is Barbie water compared to the elegance and opulence of the scents of yesteryear?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Good Points. Very well put.
    Renato

UPDATE - Just out of curiosity, I threw the Joop aftershave splash infected shirt to the side.
    A further three days have now passed, and it still smells strongly of Joop.

How's that for scent lasting power?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Due to the nature of sales and bargain hunting, I've wound up with a much bigger bottle of Joop aftershave splash than my bottle of Joop EDT. As I use less aftershave splash than EDT, I was wondering how I was ever going to finish it.

So I had a bright idea and put some aftershave splash into a small spray bottle, intending to use it as sort of a light Joop Cologne. I sprayed some aftershave on under my clothes two nights ago - it smelled fabulous.

But it didn't quite work out as I anticipated - two whole days have elapsed and my shirt is still reeking of Joop - it just isn't anywhere near cologne strength. It still amazes me that Joop Aftershave splash is stronger and much longer lasting than 90% of all the designer EDTs. What an amazing scent!

Just curious, apart from me and the Scentimus, are there still any other Joop fans left at Basenotes?
    Renato
    Did you used Joop! Homme after shave splash or the new Joop! Splash after shave?

Quote Originally Posted by gifenrich View Post
    Did you used Joop! Homme after shave splash or the new Joop! Splash after shave?
    Joop Homme Aftershave Splash was what I was referring to. The confusing and not very strong Joop Splash is a relatively new release.

Renato

I have both the aftershave and EDT of Joop Homme, and I never really understood why they made the A/S so damn strong. It almost defeats the purpose of aftershave because it gives you olfactory fatigue too quickly.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I have both the aftershave and EDT of Joop Homme, and I never really understood why they made the A/S so damn strong. It almost defeats the purpose of aftershave because it gives you olfactory fatigue too quickly.
    Yes, the aftershave splash is strong. But you should remember one thing. Most manufacturers seem to dilute their EDTs by a third to a half to make up their aftershave splashes. But in Joop Homme's case, I think they've diluted it by about a 6th or a 7th.

Joop's aftershave balm doesn't have quite as long a longevity as the splash (though it lasts longer than anybody elses), but the scent is a bit more toned down compared to the splash version.

Renato