Code of Conduct

Default Best I-Don't-Really-Like-It-But-They-Love-It Scent

So the other day I was at Dillard's looking around the rather weak fragrance desk, and I was offered a sample of Kenneth Cole Reaction. Of course I'd never pass up a sample, but I wasn't about to spray anything over my Millesime Imperial that I put on not too long before. After a shower and before I layed down to read before falling asleep, I put a bit on my wrists (A good thing about testing at night before bed is that you can get a good gauge on it's longevity by seeing how it smells in the morning). I wasn't all that impressed with it (it smells like standing in a musty doorway with a green apple lolly-pop, with the wind blowing in some lilly-of-the-valley and fine dirt particles... at least to me it does), but given its light nature and the fact that the next day was going to be a rare 60-degree (F) day in February in the middle of Pennsylvania, I decided to wear it out to class and work that day. Frankly, when I finally got on campus, I was already somewhat tired of its rather cheap and synthetic smell, and I decided this really isn't a fragrance for me. Much to my chagrin, the day ended up becoming a seemingly constant stream of complements by my lady friends, a few of my guy friends, and even a few strangers such as my customers at work- who all wanted to know what I had on. I've never received so many complements on my scent as I did that day. It's always nice to get complements, but it's not as nice when it's a scent I'd never really wear again. I guess I just have different tastes than my college cohorts- I prefer something more subtle-yet-complex and organic (my Creed Acier Aluminum and Millesime Imperial come to mind), but it seems like everyone else likes these in-your-face synthetic fragrances nowadays.

This is also somewhat true for at least one of my own fragrances, Diesel Zero Plus (it was only $11 at TJ Maxx). It's a bit over-the-top with its cinnamon note, but I find it good for really cold days once it settles down a little bit. I tried it once on a warm day and it made me absolutely nauseous, but again I got a lot of praise for it. I'd like to hear some of your own stories about fragrances you don't much care for but seem to attract a lot of attention.

Default Re: Best I-Don't-Really-Like-It-But-They-Love-It S

Well, your description of Reaction sounds like something I would like at least if you removed the green apples... But having tested other Kenneth Cole scents I find it hard to believe that I would appreciate anything they do

Anyway, I'm a bit like that with my Himalaya. I think it is nice and all (I used to love it to bits) but after I've had it on for a while it reminds me of that unspecified 'cologne smell', the generic ones you know... But my girlfriend absolutely loves it, one of her favorites on me (Daim Blond and Odeur 53 works good on her as well), so I continue to use it at work and around her, but I always feel a liiitle but awkward when doing it, not entirely relaxed.

What make me think other people appreciate these synthetic or generic smelling frags is that they are a twist to something they already know, and the familiar is always appreciated by most, just look at how many seem to die for Aqua di Gio or common Boss frags... It is just like when people go to a club and dance. They don't really want to hear the freshest electro house track Tweak from Felix da Housecat, but something they are familiar with and recognize (say Hey Boy Hey Girl with Chemical Brothers).

I think I wrote about it awhile ago that most girls/women/men don't care or oblivion to qualitly fragrances such as Lutens,some Creeds,Chanel,Anick Goutal,Carthusian, and Etro.

For example, girls love-heaven forbid-polo sport,polo blue,boss,and the like. Most of them don't know quality if it hits them in the face.
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

Quote Originally Posted by abimanyu
    For example, girls love-heaven forbid-polo sport,polo blue,boss,and the like. Most of them don't know quality if it hits them in the face.

i agree 100%. Classic example: Acqua Di Gio

*shudder*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abimanyu
    I think I wrote about it awhile ago that most girls/women/men don't care or oblivion to qualitly fragrances such as Lutens,some Creeds,Chanel,Anick Goutal,Carthusian, and Etro.

errrmmm.... isn't that assault?? :-/

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

It may be assualt but who is going to know...

I think that girls don't recognize the complexity of some frags and how they develop throughout the day, not even on their own perfumes. They just "think it smells good". They wouldn't be able to answer why though. They don't think about what it is that is making them go crazy, ie. vanilla notes, but they are obsessed with it. It is really annoying. I love asking my mother what smells good because she analizes it and breaks down what she smells for me.

Maybe the people who gave you (stuffman) the compliments had a different taste in fragrances than you. I think we each have out own special style to picking out colognes. At first smell when someone walks by and you catch the waft of the frag, you think it is good because it is a cologne and it smells better than the air you've been breathing. That is why I think people compliment so quickly. I dont' have any stories because I love my frags but I am sure I could wear AdG and get a million compliments for nothing.

Silly people...

M7. I liked this one at first but after a few trys couldnt get with the mediciney undertones. Seems popular though.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    It may be assualt but who is going to know...

I think that girls don't recognize the complexity of some frags and how they develop throughout the day, not even on their own perfumes. They just "think it smells good". They wouldn't be able to answer why though. They don't think about what it is that is making them go crazy, ie. vanilla notes, but they are obsessed with it. It is really annoying.
    Can i get an amen?

vote for a frag. im not a 100% fan on but ladies love.....boss #6 (im pritty sure, half my total posts here have the words "boss #6" in it

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    [quote author=EnvYuS link=1141466281/0#5 date=1141493789]It may be assualt but who is going to know...

I think that girls don't recognize the complexity of some frags and how they develop throughout the day, not even on their own perfumes. They just "think it smells good". They wouldn't be able to answer why though. They don't think about what it is that is making them go crazy, ie. vanilla notes, but they are obsessed with it. It is really annoying.
    Can i get an amen?

vote for a frag. im not a 100% fan on but ladies love.....boss #6 (im pritty sure, half my total posts here have the words "boss #6" in it
    [/quote]

I think so. I've seen 4-6 today actually ;D
    I guess I have to look that fragrance up now...

I *like* gendarme, and its one of my standard re-buys, I respect it as a genuinely unique composition blah blah blah etc but the girls just LOVE it. theyre insane for it. like a bunch of mindless zombies seeking genardme blood.

no this was not directed at you, you or you who just got offended, its merely a joke.

IMO:

True quality in a perfume is *only* appreciated by the person who owns it and wears it. Quality is reflected in performance over time, both in the 4-6 hour lifetime of one application and how it seems beautiful the first and the fourty-first time you wear it. The cheap scents often have small irritations buried in them-- a cloying top, a synthetic twinge to the heart , a sour or musty edge to the drydown, etc. The first few times I wear it, I don't notice these so much because I'm focused on the big picture.

Over time these small "off" notes become a ten foot dripping faucet at 2AM for annoyance, and the entire fragrance set my teeth on edge.

A casual, brief or intermittant contact will only ever notice the best parts of your fragrance, the more so if they already like you and feel disposed to say something kind at the first opportunity. In your face scents get noticed, but like spandex, you can't reallly live in them.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Anyway, I'm a bit like that with my Himalaya. I think it is nice and all (I used to love it to bits) but after I've had it on for a while it reminds me of that unspecified 'cologne smell', the generic ones you know
    Bingo! Me too with this one. I receive TONS of compliments anytime I wear Himalaya (before it fades an hour later) but I just don't have a deep love for it. It's too "been there, done that" to my nose and I can't understand why so many like it SOOO much.

But I'm a whore for compliments, so ....

Farenheit. She loved it, I felt like I needed to take a shower. Once she was gone so was the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_D
    M7. I liked this one at first but after a few trys couldnt get with the mediciney undertones. Seems popular though.
    Spritz and walk thru with this one. Then it is considerably less medicinal. You need to wait for teh drydown o nthis one, it's an amazing sweet, smooth amber.