Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco, but not just any tobacco

I need tobacco, but not just any tobacco and probably not the best tobacco. Let me explain...

Ok, this whole thing started when I got a sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man as a freebie in a swap. I was surprised to find it had a tobacco note just like D&G PH, which is my favorite tobacco scent to date. I'm sure I can search far and wide (or just open the old wallet extra wide) to find a bottle of Feeling Man, but maybe there is something out there that is similar but better.

Tabarome Millesime doesn't do it for me. Havana is a little to spicy/musty for me. Honestly I haven't smelled too many other tobaccos so I cannot really explain what it is I like so much in the D&G and Feeling Man.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is: Reccommend a tobacco in the same vein as D&G and Feeling Man and NOT similar to Havana.

Default Re: Tobacco, but not just any tobacco

Dunhill 2003, The Dreamer, Realities.
    smoke 'em if you got em!

francois

I never tried Havana, but Versace The Dreamer's tobacco note is similar to D&G.

The dreamer seems fitting your request!

Versacs's the Dreamer, certainly.

I would also suggest Patricia de Nicolai's Nicloai pour Homme -- sexy, complex, enigmigatic. Slightly honeyed woods, darky rich but not sweet. *A touch of cooling, refrehing mint, subtle green-ness. *I really like this unusual tobacco scent. It has a cooler, more transparent feel like the two you like and unlike the warmer ones you do not like. *N PH has the lavendar that both Feeling man and D&G PH have. A little soft floral and woods like both FM & PH have. N PH also has the Tonka vanillin feeling but not strong, foody vanilla like others

D&G PH notes:

Top notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Orange, Neroli, Lemon; Middle Notes: Natural Lavender, Sage, Tarragon, Cardamom, Pepper.; Base Notes:
    Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Tonka bean, Musk, Tobacco, Iris, Cumarin.

BTW, I am confused. Not familiar with Jill Sander's Feeling Man, I looked it up on osMoz and here are the notes:

Top notes: Lavender, Tarragon, Bergamot, Fruity Note; Middle notes: Geranium, Cyclamen, Raspberry, Fir; Base notes: *Patchouli, Sandal, Musk, Tonka

Where's the tobacco? *It reads like a woody-oriental with fougere & fruit accords

Chergui sometimes reminds me a bit of D&G, but I like it much, much better. If you haven't, you should at least try it.

Blue Jeans has a lovely tobacco scent. *Lasts all day too.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Ralph Lauren Purple Label could be worth a try.

I'll have to resmell the Dreamer. I remember it had something weird going on, but it was intriguing.

Sanddrift - I have no idea why tobacco isn't listed in the notes of Feeling Man. To my nose (and confirmed by the BN reviews) tobacco is the dominant base of it. If you smelled it I'm sure you'd agree. Of course the whole problem is that is really hard to find, so I don't know how best to recommend you catch a whiff.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Keep 'em coming!

Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac.

The original Montana Parfum D' Homme...hard to find but worth it!

Better than Havana, IMO.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

hypothetically if i occasionally do illegal drugs, the dreamer reminds of the same feeling i get from them. hypothetically.

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    WORD....
    Cuba by C&S is pretty good as well...but different from FdT which is THE best IMO.

You can't do better than this. IMO

Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I find Versace L'Homme to be quite similar to D&G PH.
    It's certainly more sharper in terms of its citrus notes, and packs quite a bit of tobacco too.

Though the tobacco note is not explicitly listed in its scent pyramid, it can nevertheless be identified.
    Perhaps it's the combination of the Patchouli and Leather which gives this impression.
    Keep in mind that the scent pyramids, in general, do not contain an exhaustive list of the notes in a fragrance.

* * * * * * Top note: * * *Lemon, Petitgrain, Basil, Pimento
    * * * * * * Middle note: *Cinnamon, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Sandal
    * * * * * * Base note: * *Moss, Leather, Labdanum, Vanilla

(Scent pyramid source: osMoz)

A lot of people here don't like the Dreamer and when I sampled it at first I didn't find it to be anything special. As it dried down I thought it was beautiful and not sickly sweet like some of the reviews have said, but dry and deep with a hint of amber sweetness. This is really up there as one of my favorite fragrances right now as it just really suits me. I love the tobacco in it as well, it's very noticeable. The opening is rather synthetic but I could care less once it starts to dry down.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    Ralph Lauren Purple Label could be worth a try.

I second this. A very non-traditional tobacci imo

I think tobacco is often one of the most misunderstood notes, as there are different compositions and the term itself shouldn't be used generically. Tobacco leaf is what is predominately found in Creed Tabarome (new) and Miller Harris's creation. Tobacco flower is the softer side of the plant and found in noteables such as RL's Purple Label and i Profumi di Firenze's Tabacco. Finally, there is the "pipe" tobacco notes found in Very Valentino (and a note I wish would make it into more scents).

So it's always interesting to read people's perspectives when they mention "tobacco" notes and throw out some of these fragrances in the same breath because it is really akin to comparing apples and oranges. I say this after reading the suggestions for Miller Harris, which is a great scent, but as I was about to recommend one I thought more fitting, I realized it's not fair to compare the two. This being said, I think the fragrance you're looking for might be D'Orsay's Le Dandy.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Herrera for Men may be worth a try

Can't really compare it to the ones you're talking about, but Guerlain Vetiver has a nice tobacco note.

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli, Coriander

MIddle Notes
    Vetiver, Cedar

Base Notes
    Tobacco, Nutmeg, Pepper, Tonka bean, Capiscum

I saw 2 Buy It Now sellers of multiple bottles of Jil Sanders Feeling Man for low prices. I have no connection, buy at your own risk.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Jil-Sander-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jil-Sander-Feeli...QQcmdZViewItem

Burberry London.

Tobacco and pears.

Sounds awful and works beautifully.

Can't let this thread go buy without someone mentioning
    Creed Vintage Tabarome.

Another nice tobacco scent is Michael from Michael Kors. DK Fuel/Men is in the same vein.

The thread is making my curious about Feeling Man. Those ebay auctions are $25-$30 for .25 oz bottles, making them pretty damn expensive. Is that scent that hard to find?

To me the nicest tobacco frag is Baldessarini (Eau de Cologne Concentrée). The tobacco not becomes more and more noticeable the further the frag reaches its basenotes. Nice mixture of patchouli and tobacco! 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Burberry London.

Tobacco and pears.

Sounds awful and works beautifully.

This is also a beautiful and underappreciated scent. Must Try.

Bark - educate me! What type/part of tobacco am I liking in the DG PH and Feeling Man? I assumed it was tobacco leaf...

Ballard - I have the Burberry, but I don't recall a significant tobacco note. I'll wear it today to investigate.

Thanks for the rec's everyone!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

This one I have, but there's one made by Fresh called Tobacco Flower. The tobacco's not very prominent. The overall impression is green.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by FatTony
    Bark - educate me! What type/part of tobacco am I liking in the DG PH and Feeling Man? I assumed it was tobacco leaf...

Ballard - I have the Burberry, but I don't recall a significant tobacco note. I'll wear it today to investigate.

I would say it's probably more from the flower, though I'm not positive. To me, it's got the same sort of feel as i Profumi's version, which is made of the blonde Nicotiana flower from Umbria (according to Lusciouscargo.com). But I really, truly believe Le Dandy is the scent you should be trying to get a sample of. I wore it today and it's just in a class by itself.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I had a scent designed for me by Sonoma Scent Studio based completely on Cherry Tobacco. *It is now available to the public and is very popular now being unisex. * The scent is very rich enveloping of pipe tobacco, patchouli, and a touch of smoke. *I was very picky when I had it designed for myself.

You should give it a try.

*Tabac Extreme, Special Edition previously called Tabac pour homme
    Dry, woodsy, earthy, masculine blend of cherry tobacco, sandalwood, Indonesian patchouli, woodsmoke. It was originally created as a men's scent to fill a custom request for a blend that included notes of cherry tabac and patchouli, but women often enjoy this scent too. Exclusive blend. Special Edition.

I second Michael by Michael Kors. I really like how the "dark plum" and dried fruits work with the pipe tobacco, it adds a "fullness" to it that is hard to explain. It's worth a shot and you can find it for pretty cheap if you look around enough.

Michael by Michael Kors Notes:

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Elemi, Cardamom, Tarragon, Star Anise, Thyme, Coriander

MIddle Notes
    Pipe Tobacco, Suede, Incence

Base Notes
    Patchouli, Dark Plum, Sandalwood, Dried Fruits

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    [quote author=FatTony link=1141139162/15#25 date=1141226216]Bark - educate me! What type/part of tobacco am I liking in the DG PH and Feeling Man? I assumed it was tobacco leaf...

I would say it's probably more from the flower, though I'm not positive. To me, it's got the same sort of feel as i Profumi's version, which is made of the blonde Nicotiana flower from Umbria (according to Lusciouscargo.com). But I really, truly believe Le Dandy is the scent you should be trying to get a sample of. I wore it today and it's just in a class by itself. [/quote]
    I agree, Le Dandy was the only scent which left me completely satisfied after the first sniff

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    I had a scent designed for me by Sonoma Scent Studio based completely on Cherry Tobacco. *It is now available to the public and is very popular now being unisex. * The scent is very rich enveloping of pipe tobacco, patchouli, and a touch of smoke. *I was very picky when I had it designed for myself.

You should give it a try.

*Tabac Extreme, Special Edition previously called Tabac pour homme
    Dry, woodsy, earthy, masculine blend of cherry tobacco, sandalwood, Indonesian patchouli, woodsmoke. It was originally created as a men's scent to fill a custom request for a blend that included notes of cherry tabac and patchouli, but women often enjoy this scent too. Exclusive blend. Special Edition.
    Thanks! Just placed an order. What was your overall impression of it? It's funny, I bought some cherry tobacco not too long ago just to smell burning (I don't smoke). I picked a sample of fireside which sounds pretty good, too.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Guys,

I think I missed this thread. Already create new thread under Havana but I think this thread is the right one. I love Havana because of tobacco and bayrum on it. Since it's been discontinued , I am looking something not exactly similar but at least close.

Tony,
    I can't recommend enough you try Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac. If you want I can send you a sample. PM me and I will get it to you. I think you will love it, even though it is not really similar to D&G PH. It's one of the best tobacco scents ever made.
    And also Tabac Blond, but I don't have a sample to give you as a little sample is all I have.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

Another vote for Michael Kors. I don't get much tobacco from some fragrances that are supposed to have tobacco notes, such as D&G PH, Guerlain Vetiver and Dreamer (I get a stronger pepper note from the first two). But I get very strong tobacco from Michael Kors and I love it. Ironically, I hate the smell of tobacco SMOKE.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

S.Tacchini - Stile.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueOcean
    To me the nicest tobacco frag is Baldessarini (Eau de Cologne Concentrée). The tobacco not becomes more and more noticeable the further the frag reaches its basenotes. Nice mixture of patchouli and tobacco! *8-)
    Agreed!

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme is a good citrus+tobacco smell. Not only that but it does smell sexy. XD
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

The best tobacco-based fragrance I know is Ambre Russe by Parfums d'Empire, followed by Creed Vintage Tabarome (not the Millesime!). Zino by Zino Davidoff is an excellent one, too.