Code of Conduct

Thread: Too sweet?

Default Too sweet?

Does anyone else out there think a lot of men's scents are too sweet? Especially the modern stuff? And it's not even a natural sweetness most of the time, it's a cloying chemical sweetness. How long will it be before olfactory saccarine will be the height of fashion?

Default Re: Too sweet?

For me, the problem with ultra sweet stuff is that I live in a tropical country when there's almost no winter...
    So, sweetness can be pretty cloying here... :P

I think that most of them aren't sweet enough

Hanae Mori is a example of TOO SWEET
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

The ones most often cited as being too sweet are Pi, A*men, Le Male, Joop, Body Kouros, Lempika and more recently Gaultier2. Gaultier2 and Pi are the only ones I get sick of fairly quickly becasue of their sweetness. These all are mainly ambery orientals which to my mind are too sweet for daytime, general, casual and office usage. But they're ideal for night time, going out type usage.

Next come the sweet ambery fougeres like Brut, Xeryus Rouge, Desire, Diesel Plus Plus, Boss 6 (bottled) which aren't quite as sweet and to my mind can be used well for some daytime usage.

On the other hand, I have no problem using sweet woody or aromatic fougeres like Caron Pour Un Homme or Latitude Longitude at anytime.

The sweet scents are a in the minority. Going for the more numerous woody, aromatic or chypre and business like scents has its place, but sometimes some variety with sweetness is nice for a change.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by petrol
    I think that most of them aren't sweet enough

oh yes I do agree!!!

Or maybe the modern scents are sweet since they're trying to cater to the young market? Because by human nature, sweet=good enough or something like that but that's just from what I've observed with regards to people my age. I tend to like the more timeless scents though. For some odd reason too, I never get compliments for "manly" or musky smelling frags but I get compliments all the time for sweet/flowery frags like Gio or Issey. Boo. To each his own I guess. :-?
    "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." -Nagasawa in Norwegian Wood

I think the problem is also they smell too much alike and are not surprising. Gaultier 2 is an example. Not awful once you wear it but not distinctive either.

I can see what you mean, particularly in newer scents. Black XS makes me think "giant walking Strawberry Jolly Rancher"

It's not the amount of sweetness but the way something is sweet that bothers me. I consider Musc Ravageur to be extremely sweet, but I enjoy it alot. I can't put my finger on it, but for example the sweetness in Boss Bottled is just horrible.

I think that for the mens versions of scents they came out just right in almost all cases. There is only one fragrance that might be too sweet at times and that is Boss Bottled but I will never get tired of it anyway. I don't thing there are enough sweet fragrances for me. We have so many woody notes to testoterize (I made this word up) our fragrances and made them less feminin.

I LOVE sweet scents. However, I can't stand Oriental scents that have prominent citrus notes thrown into the mix. Citrus and vanilla just doesn't work for me. Because of this, I'm afraid Musc Ravageur isn't my cup of tea.

I only have problems with vanilla sweetness. Vanilla gets cloying real fast.

Well, I have a sweet tooth, which means that I don`t have a problem with sweet scents.

I can't stand the drydown of D&G By... its a very synthetic sweetness

Quote Originally Posted by Incedal
    Agree 100%. so much crap these days just gives you a headache becuase it's tooo sweet. JPG also fits in this.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    I LOVE sweet scents. However, I can't stand Oriental scents that have prominent citrus notes thrown into the mix. Citrus and vanilla just doesn't work for me. Because of this, I'm afraid Musc Ravageur isn't my cup of tea.
    LOL. I'm sure you'd just love M7 Fresh then. :

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I keep reading that most men's fragrances on the market now are fougère-type scents. I tend to associate that category with fresh or spicy notes. maybe some fruity ones, but not generally with sweet.

There are spices and then there are spices, of course... When I first smelled Creed's Original Santal, the combination of cinnamon and ginger stuck me as too sweet, but after a little drydown time, the sweet impression faded some... maybe the sweet spices are what are being used more: the two I mentioned, along with nutmeg, mace, even coriander tend to be sweet... and maybe the industry is shifting to these scents for economic reasons... Also, I think maybe gourmand fragrances are a factor in this; a lot of them are dessert mode--vanilla, chocolate, coffee, and such.

Personally, I prefer woody orientals and mossy fragrances, but a lot of chypres are sweetened with citrus as well...

BTW, I wouldn't necessarily consider floral notes as all sweet either; some can be pretty green.

Anyway, my 2 cents!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo
    Does anyone else out there think a lot of men's scents are too sweet? Especially the modern stuff? And it's not even a natural sweetness most of the time, it's a cloying chemical sweetness.
    Oh yes, They are too sweet!

I had a major, but short-lived, infatuation with very sweet-smelling fragrances when I first discovered Basenotes. But my nose grew tired of them very quickly. I have fragrances like Lolita, Rochas Man, Casran, and the atrocious Lonach by Castle Forbes in my collection, but I just cannot bear to wear them anymore. They sit gathering dust.

Why So Serious?

I think the reason why most new colognes are sweet is because that's what's popular at this day and age, and most are aimed at young men who are more than willing to spend big bucks to desparately attract the opposite sex, i mean i've been there done that. And this marketing strategy is working so the industry is still at it, making all these sweet and fresh scents. To the industry it's all about the money, not a hobby. In a fragrance war, Basenotes prevails.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I enjoy most sweet fragrances, but sometimes i have to give my nose a break from the sweetness, that's when i wear Trussardi Uomo, Santos Concentree, Yatagan, etc.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by Incedal
    No, A*Men is!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??