Code of Conduct

Thread: Carnal Flower?

Default Carnal Flower?

I am very curious about this scent. It sounds amazing. I'm one of the few who actually likes tuberose, as long as its not too (Fracas!) strong.

What are your opinions about it? Is it suitable for guys? And lastly, what other scents (if any) can it be compared to?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Serpent

Default Re: Carnal Flower?

Carnal Flower is fantastic. Worth $230? Well, you know my cheap self - no perfume is worth that, especially in eau de toilette/eau de parfum strength. But hot damn, Carnal Flower is N-I-C-E - nice!

It comes out all at once, all the tuberose and green and tropical sweetness. If one wasn't told the coconut was in there, one might be hard-pressed to recognize the strange, warm, slightly gourmand sweetness as coconut. But it never goes foody-sweet; I suspect that's the camphor at work. And the sharp-toothed, snarling-dog white floral bitterness that tuberose has - more any other white floral, which likely makes it perhaps the most hated of all white florals - is all but gone. This has to be the kindest of all tuberose perfumes. It lacks the sheer grandiosity and pageantry of the venerable Fracas, but it is a much friendlier fragrance, one more easily worn and one more versatile. Which is the better of the two? Well, they're two tuberose fragrances with two very different sets of virtues. In many ways, they're yin and yang, but, if there's ever been a true challenger for Fracas' crown, Carnal Flower is it. (I still say Fracas takes the title in the end, though.)

It's a dazzler. The tropics in full bloom, a perfect scent to take on a Polynesian vacation or to take in lieu of one...

Mad_Hatter

CF is the best I've encountered in a LONG time. I have Vetiver Extraord. and Bigarade Conc. Both are nice, but I find the Vet. a bit muddy and the Big a bit innocuous. So I put them on together (3 spritzes of Big + 1 spritz of Vet.). That smells NICE and well-mannered, but when I want to be dramatic (!), which is at least once a day, I put on CF, though my friend says it smells like freshly washed laundry (!).

I even put it on before going to bed. Very good scent. Expensive, but for the price you get something that smells NATURAL and not chemical (which I hate).

I also have the whole Guerlain range at home but they all smell common in comparison - I think.

Mad_Hatter

As I said in another post before, I don't like the name. It's so nondescript. It should have been something evoking a windswept countryside ... or naked salty bodies ...

Let you imagination roam here....

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
    Expensive, but for the price you get something that smells NATURAL and not chemical (which I hate).
    Purportedly, the reason for the high price tag is the high proportion of tuberose concete in Carnal Flower. The sales associate dedicated to the Malle line claims Carnal Flower has the highest amount of natural tuberose concrete (I believe she said concrete) of any fragrance, and that the substance was very expensive, hence both the big sticker and wonderfully organic quality.

I went and ordered a 50 ml bottle from their website.

Thanks again for all the comments.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Serpent

Great! You can send my decant to... ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    Great! *You can send my decant to... * *;D
    I'll let you know.....i just might hate it! *But i doubt it. All of my FM's were bought blind and i love every one of them.

I love buying blind -- the suspense of the wait and then the rush of that first spray. Who knows, maybe i'm just nuts....!

It is absolutely stunning.... and at 25% perfume oil to volume (the same as Une Rose) it is definitely bordering between EDP and Parfum strength.. Whether it's worth the money really depends on who's asking...
    ask me.. and I'll say yes

I really don't consider it a scent I'd advize for any guy, unless he was buying it for a female, in which case other than Samsara it's probably my favorite perfume ever.

To clarify, it has nothing in common with Samsara that I know of.

But the floral-fruity quality is stunning, and I agree there is nothing "chemical" about this.

Mother Earth would wear Carnal Flower... that's the best way I can put it.

OOoh, I beg to differ. A man could pull this off but he's got to be someone who's willing to bend the gender rules, unnatural as they are in perfumes....
    I imagine it would be an unbelievable signature scent for both an out and out gay guy as well as a stylish, original metro hetero...
    Me, fitting into neither category, but not giving a damn one way or other about rules... I've got a bottle and am thoroughly enjoying it!