Code of Conduct
    Serpent

Default L'Air du Désert Marocain

I tested Andy Tauer's L'Air du Désert Marocain at L.A.'s Scent Bar yesterday, and I'm really digging this. I know on a certain level it's not that special: a blend of spices over woods and vanilla. It's been done before. But it's a heavily woody scent that lasts on me, and it has this musty note - like a little tinge of the recirculated air from Messe de Minuit - that gives it this far out retro vibe. Less a souk in Morocco than a shag-carpeted split-level ranch house in the Inland Empire - somehow, that amuses me. (Hey, I was born in the I.E. Gotta have some pride, man.) The 1970s era graphic on the front is very fitting in that regards; with that slight avant-garde touche, it transcends your average slapdash artisanal perfumer scent. (That, and the fact it has excellent longevity. After a shower and sleeping on it overnight, I can still smell it on the back of my hand from the spraying at one in the afternoon yesterday.) In a shop loaded with Padparadscha, Idole de Lubin, V.I.P. Room, and all sorts of other fragrances, this was the one that stood out for me. I am so tempted to get this. If Costes is the scent of the Hotel Costes in Paris, then L'Air du Désert Marocain strikes me as the perfect fragrance for the (in)famous Parker Hotel in Palm Springs...

P.S.: If you want to buy it, skip LuckyScent.com; the TauerPerfumes.com website is cheaper, even after international shipping.

Default Re: L'Air du Désert Marocain

I got a sample of this with my LuckyScent order a few days ago and I really like this one too. EXTREMELY long lasting. I get more spice than wood (which is a good thing to me), with just a hint of vanilla. I was thisclose to pulling the trigger and ordering it ... but my senses ( and wallet ) stopped me before I used up my sample vial.

If the next 2 samplings go like the first, I'll likely be ordering it.

Just spraying some on for the evening here. Love it.

I love this. It reminds me of Ambre Sultan but without the outre Lutens style and with less emphasis on the amber. Interesting blend of spice notes and, I agree, very long lasting. I apply very little of this and it goes strong all day and lasts for days more on the clothes I wear over it. That crazy bottle graphic has a homemade-crafts vibe - I like it.

My trips to the IE are restricted visits to my grandma's place in Redlands. L'Air de Desert Marocain hasn't evoked any images of that thus far.

Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    I love this. It reminds me of Ambre Sultan but without the outre Lutens style and with less emphasis on the amber.
    You are so on the mark. *A pretty spot-on assessment of this fragrance...

[quote author=baron link=1140458086/0#3 date=1140482998]I love this. It reminds me of Ambre Sultan but without the outre Lutens style and with less emphasis on the amber. Interesting blend of spice notes and, I agree, very long lasting. I apply very little of this and it goes strong all day and lasts for days more on the clothes I wear over it. quote]

Exactly! Ambre Sultan was the very first that came in mind applying this artisanal gem!
    I`d say AS is more spicy (mean coriander, of course) and more sweet
    Vetiver The Great!!!

The sample spray was irresistable to pass on, amazed that a place as sleepy as Zurich has something to offer that intrigues....I'M SOLD!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    The sample spray was irresistable to pass on, amazed that a place as sleepy as Zurich has something to offer that intrigues....I'M SOLD!
    SO SLEEPY, hm ? -- you just made me your friend ! :

I would not have l'Air on the same shelf as AMBRE SULTAN, except for the amber. Ambre Sultan is as mondaine and elegant as you could expect from one of the worlds leading perfume houses. Elegance will never be in your face, never flexes muscles, just suggests them.

L'air DDM - what a name! You better prepare yourself for the answer, in case someone asks - is a very pleasant, rather dense composition I would love to get a breeze of at somebodys garden party. Fine too, for any young man who wants to dream about his African holidays while working at his office computer. And you're right, he will certainly not have to respray at lunch time!! I myself was hooked for a while towards the end of last summer. But just as it happened with Bulgari Blu: what seemed so attractive in the beginning lost it's magic within two months. One nice morning was the end for both.

I am still curious to see what the leather scent will be like. Tauer is working on one right now.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent
    *After a shower and sleeping on it overnight, I can still smell it on the back of my hand from the spraying at one in the afternoon yesterday
    i undersand a bath in tomato juice is recommended in these cases.

I got my sample of this last week. I have tried it once and wasn't very excited by it. The notes I detect are hot pine wood like being in a wood shop where someone is cutting pine with a circular saw plus vanilla.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

This is a top 10 winter scent for me