Code of Conduct

Default Chic-Magnet Fragrances? Do they exist?

For what it is worth, it seems there are...

Surprisingly in a study last year, the fragrance that most aroused men was also a top scorer for women: *a combination of lavender and pumpkin pie. A romantic Thanksgiving in Provence anyone? It does sound like it would be better as a dessert; pumpkin pie a la mode with lavender gelatto. So seduction at home?

Outpacing pumpkin pie and lavender*for women in the arousal department, was the scent of Good & Plenty licorice candies *: (verbal irony goes unnoted in the good doctor's report), followed by Licorice and Cucumber (again irony or at least visual double entendre goes unmentioned).

Scent turn-offs (Odors causing a reduction in blood flow to the crucial regions) were far more intriguing: Cherry reduced blood flow by 18% (reminds us of sick children's medicine?) Barbecue smoke odor decreased arousal by 11% (can't even begin to speculate on the associations or hard-wiring that might cause this.) But even more interesting: *Men's cologne reduced arousal in most cases. Dr. Hirsch did not specify which men's cologne, but I am thinking of calling to find out as a public service.

Other studies I have seen on the subject of scent and arousal in women indicate that fresh male perspiration is a turn on, but oxidized (older than 20 minutes) sweat was an extreme turn off. So it's anti-perspirant, low activity before an encounter with a female of the species or three showers an hour, guys!

The study was conducted last year by Dr. Alan Hirsch, director of the Scent and Taste treatment Center and Institute in Chicago and author of Scensational Sex, after noticing that 1 in 5 *patients who lost their sense of smell experienced sexual dysfunction, Hirsch conducted a number of studies on Men and Women using over 30 separate scents and 46 compound odors (combos of the 30). Blood flow rates to the genital regions was used to measure arousal in both genders.

A layman's recap of some of the study findings can be found in the latter portion of an article reprinted in Sexual Health.

http://www.sexualhealth.com/article....;article_id=13

Default Re: The ultimate chic-magnet fragrance

Feel free to comment good or bad or funny!

Default Re: The ultimate chic-magnet fragrance

Interesting...
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Default Re: Chic-Magnet Fragrances? Do they exist?

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    For what it is worth, it seems there are...

Surprisingly in a study last year, the fragrance that most aroused men was also a top scorer for women: a combination of lavender and pumpkin pie. A romantic Thanksgiving in Provence anyone? It does sound like it would be better as a dessert; pumpkin pie a la mode with lavender gelatto. So seduction at home?

Outpacing pumpkin pie and lavender for women in the arousal department, was the scent of Good & Plenty licorice candies : (verbal irony goes unnoted in the good doctor's report), followed by Licorice and Cucumber (again irony or at least visual double entendre goes unmentioned).

Scent turn-offs (Odors causing a reduction in blood flow to the crucial regions) were far more intriguing: Cherry reduced blood flow by 18% (reminds us of sick children's medicine?) Barbecue smoke odor decreased arousal by 11% (can't even begin to speculate on the associations or hard-wiring that might cause this.) But even more interesting: Men's cologne reduced arousal in most cases. Dr. Hirsch did not specify which men's cologne, but I am thinking of calling to find out as a public service.

Other studies I have seen on the subject of scent and arousal in women indicate that fresh male perspiration is a turn on, but oxidized (older than 20 minutes) sweat was an extreme turn off. So it's anti-perspirant, low activity before an encounter with a female of the species or three showers an hour, guys!

http://www.sexualhealth.com/article....;article_id=13

I viewed a similar report that suggests the reaction to oxidized male sweat is neutral for women and offputting for men.
    this may be it: http://www.sirc.org/publik/smell_human.html interesting read either way
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

Looks like a typical serious scientific study skimmed for content that looked interesting to the journalist. I would love to get my hands on the raw data and study method. I am very interested in what they tried to implement as a control.

Another interesting thread by you Sanddrift. I also read that cinnamon scent is a turn on for men.

Maisonstinky
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I read somewhere that pheromones work.

Bullcrap! (Are we allowed so say that here?)

I love bbq smoke. BBQ smoke means steak! Steak is good!

Can't stand pumpkin pie. Steak is much, much better.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    Another interesting thread by you Sanddrift. I also read that cinnamon scent is a turn on for men.

Maisonstinky
    That was from the same scientist. He must have a good pr agent. *In a preliminary study, Hirsch discovered that the scent of cinnamon buns was arousing to males so he went on to explore a bit further and in a subsequent study arrived at Pumpkin pie and lavender beating out cinnamon buns *--- but there is a fair amount of fragrance overlap if you stop and think about it. Pumpkin pie contains cinnamon, sugar, flour, butter and vanilla just as cinnamon buns do, too. Bring on another follow-up study!

Vis a vis the oxidized sweat issue, Adrian: *The scent of oxoidized perspiration was off putting to other men and non-ovulating women (so young adult women 3 weeks out of 4, and all women over 50 or so) Only ovulating women were neutral in their response to oxidized perspiration.

And the study was not talking about odors one likes (i.e., BBQ smoke -- especially if it is hardwood and fruitwood smokin' away or steak); it addressed odors in so far as they were empirically demonstrated to stimulate physiological arousal responses. So though BBQ smoke may evoke pleasure and start many a gal drooling for steak, it clearly slowed down the other juices, so to speak. So I doubt it's bull pucky (and if its ever up to me, you go right ahead and express yourself as colorfully and explicitly as you wish, dear Fro-Fro), but what that really means and how meanigful it *actually is would be a matter for much further study in other disciplines entirely.

Lots of conflicting studies on pheremones, mostly because the methodology is usually poor and sample groups too small to generate really trustworthy results. It's an underfunded area, perhaps? The non-oxidized/oxidized sweat stuff came out of a pheremone study.

Now in Hirsch's study, the males were aroused 40% by the pumpkin/lav combo but females were much less aroused by fragrances in general. The highest female reposnse was 18%. *But males have a quicker response time so maybe they did not measure the females long enough to get a truly accurate measurement or it could be that females are not as arousable by scent as males or it could mean a great many other things no one has looked at yet. But what decent pheremone studies I have read seem to indicate that males are more responsive than females to sexual attractiveness pheremones. In other words , a woman popping some appropriate pheremones into her fragrance is more likely to garner a postive response and on a bigger scale than a male dosing his fragrance. But we humans are complex, so it might not hurt if it is part of a good overall mix of strategies or appealing conditions.

If anyone is curious I will see if I can lay my hands on the actual study of Hirsch's.

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    Yeah that was in the reputable journal Weekly World News

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy

I am a pheromone user (check out my handle) and I'll tell you they do work, with some caveats.

They are no magic bullet. If you wear adrostenone for example, a pheromone known for conveying alpha maleness, but you act like a wuss, it won't help. You'll have no conguity. But is you act too agressive, women might get too intimidated.

They don't seem to be as effective on women you already know as they are on women that you just meet.

And they won't have women spreding their legs uncontrolably, as some of the websites would have yo believe.

But they do seem to give you leg up, but you have to already have some game.

IF you have any questions, go to www.love-scent.com. They sell many different brands of pheros, so they aren't going to exagerate the effects. There's reprints of scientific studies. There's also a great forum with users telling success stories, hints and other info.

[quote author=sanddrift link=1141301395/0#8 date=1141323989]
    Now in Hirsch's study, the males were aroused 40% by the pumpkin/lav combo but females were much less aroused by fragrances in general. The highest female reposnse was 18%. *But males have a quicker response time so maybe they did not measure the females long enough to get a truly accurate measurement or it could be that females are not as arousable by scent as males or it could mean a great many other things no one has looked at yet. But what decent pheremone studies I have read seem to indicate that males are more responsive than females to sexual attractiveness pheremones. In other words , a woman popping some appropriate pheremones into her fragrance is more likely to garner a postive response and on a bigger scale than a male dosing his fragrance. quote]

This is interesting to me, considering how often women are touted as having much better olfactory senses than men. The urban legend number I hear tossed around all the times is 40x stronger. Could it be that women smell better, more precisely and accurately, and are therefore less susceptible to the blunt aromatic stimulae that gets us going (like how kids love sugary sweet intense "x-treeeme" flavorants, but adults prefer subtlty?)? Or could it just be that we men are turned on by anything and everything. That's a study I'd like to see:

reseacher: "Sir, Id like you to sniff this newspaper and tell me your response."
    test subject: "it makes me want to have sex"
    researcher: "now this brick, if you would."
    and so on and so on

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrift
    ...And the study was not talking about odors one likes (i.e., BBQ smoke -- especially if it is hardwood and fruitwood smokin' away or steak); it addressed odors in so far as they were empirically demonstrated to stimulate physiological arousal responses.
    But those are the ones that I was writing about. I just thought that writing "BBQ and steak scents make me horny" would be somewhat unladylike. :
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Quote Originally Posted by FroFro
    [quote author=sanddrift link=1141301395/0#8 date=1141323989]...And the study was not talking about odors one likes (i.e., BBQ smoke -- especially if it is hardwood and fruitwood smokin' away or steak); it addressed odors in so far as they were empirically demonstrated to stimulate physiological arousal responses.
    But those are the ones that I was writing about. *I just thought that writing "BBQ and steak scents make me horny" would be somewhat unladylike. * :[/quote]

She probably like gucci ph then?

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    [quote author=FroFro link=1141301395/0#12 date=1141328270][quote author=sanddrift link=1141301395/0#8 date=1141323989]...And the study was not talking about odors one likes (i.e., BBQ smoke -- especially if it is hardwood and fruitwood smokin' away or steak); it addressed odors in so far as they were empirically demonstrated to stimulate physiological arousal responses.
    But those are the ones that I was writing about. *I just thought that writing "BBQ and steak scents make me horny" would be somewhat unladylike. * :[/quote]

She probably like gucci ph then?[/quote]
    She? *She who?
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

What about pheromones? I have never tried them but today I received an email from who knows talking about pheromones. How do you all feel about pheromones

Quote Originally Posted by flee
    What about pheromones? I have never tried them but today I received an email from who knows *talking about pheromones. How do you all feel about pheromones
    I guess you didn't read the whole thread! Here is my earlier post,

I *am a pheromone user (check out my handle) and I'll tell you they do work, with some caveats.

They are no magic bullet. If you wear adrostenone for example, a pheromone known for conveying alpha maleness, but you act like a wuss, it won't help. You'll have no conguity. But is you act too agressive, women might get too intimidated. *

They don't seem to be as effective on women you already know as they are on women that you just meet.

And they won't have women spreding their legs uncontrolably, as some of the websites would have yo believe.

But they do seem to give you leg up, but you have to already have some game.

IF you have any questions, go to www.love-scent.com. They sell many different brands of pheros, so they aren't going to exagerate the effects. There's reprints of scientific studies. There's also a great forum with users telling success stories, hints and other info.

What is a good pumpkin/lavender combo scent that is available on the market? :-X
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Speaking from my own personal experience, every time I've worn a scent with an anise or licorice-type base, I barely get a nod or a wink from any surrounding males with a pulse. However, any time I wear lavender, I have noticed that there definitely is an attraction factor, particularly in response to the Yardley brand. I've worn Pour Un Homme by Caron, which is lavender & vanilla bases, but I get a stronger male reaction to Yardley's English Lavender.

The food/olfactory thing just doesn't fly around this office as far as males are concerned. The older ones tend to prefer the heady classics like Chanel & Shalimar while the younger ones swoon over fragrances like Clinique's Happy & Clean Laundry. I find that men prefer to EAT the last donut around here - not go around sniffing women who smell like them. Unless, of course, the woman were to actually wear a donut on her person...LOL [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

The all time man-slayer fragrance is musk oil. If they're 90 or 19, believe me, they notice it. Maybe because it's clean, maybe cause it is subtle. I never wear anything musk on those days when I feel like being ignored or left alone.

Why So Serious?

I wear Kouros, i think that'll put me in the alpha male category.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    This is interesting to me, considering how often women are touted as having much better olfactory senses than men. The urban legend number I hear tossed around all the times is 40x stronger. Could it be that women smell better, more precisely and accurately, and are therefore less susceptible to the blunt aromatic stimulae that gets us going (like how kids love sugary sweet intense "x-treeeme" flavorants, but adults prefer subtlty?)? Or could it just be that we men are turned on by anything and everything. That's a study I'd like to see:

reseacher: "Sir, Id like you to sniff this newspaper and tell me your response."
    researcher: "now this brick, if you would."
    and so on and so on
    ROFLMAO!!! ;D ;D ;D
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow
    What is a good pumpkin/lavender combo scent that is available on the market? *:-X
    *Good point. It's been a year since the study and not one fragrance house, not even Demeter, has stepped up to the plate! Imagine.

No, I am of the opinion this is best left as a dessert. Invite her/him over for dinner, and serve the warm (so the fragrance wafts more) pumpkin pie *with lavender gelatto -- or aternatively serve the warm pumkin pie with loads of whipped cream in bed with a lavender candle burning. *Might work, eh? Throw in a couple pheremones into your fragrance (no spray on) and voila, Don Juan *& Mata Hari will have nothing on you.

re Pheremones:
    I have read two studies on this, one with women and one with men, subjects were in one of three categories: in relationships, dating to some degree or merely seeking to date. Both were 8-week studies to go through two cycles for the women (to rule out their own pheremones and cyclic vulnerabities/sensitivities) *Both studies showed that even in long established relationships, the vast majority of subjects wearing pheremones reported a 40-70% increase in three or more sexual behaviors from their partners: sexual "talk" (e.g., flirting or erotic centered discussions or, I suppose, phone sex fits in this category, too), *frequency and duration of physical closeness (seeking to sit or stand very close to one another on any ocassion), kissing, touching (like hand holding, arms around, touches to forearm and thigh while talking or sitting next to one another), cuddling, sleeping together, erotic touching, sex) as compared to a*placebo group who were given an inactive liquid to add to their fragrace. Both were double blind studies and both indicated sexual readiness and receptivity were enhanced significantly.

I tried *pheremones once and strictly anecdotely, they seemed to have a pronounced effect. I am married now so don't have to attract someone from afar. And we don't seem to need any increase of the various behaviours noted above, so I am sparing myself the expense. In 10-15 years as my own *hormones & pheremones wane, I might certainly consider pheremones again and I imagine there will have been many advances and refinements by then, too.

mmmmm, i LOVE pumpkin pie and cinnamon buns!!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??