Code of Conduct

Thread: Acqua di Gio

Post Thanks / Like

Default Acqua di Gio

No offence for the brand, on the contrary, but doesn't anybody get bored of that smell....seems in every country, everybody"s wearing it ! Also here in Belgium...it has been so common that it feels kind off disturbing when I smell it on somebody...Same story for JPG...
    Feels kind a overdated nowerdays...
    Opinions guys ?
    Greetings,
    Renzo

Default Re: Acqua di Gio

I like it very much. I bought it for the first time six years ago and I received lots of compliments on it but then it became too common and I never bought AdG again. Anyway I think that it's a very good cologne and it's not that overused anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

It's worn by everybody on my college campus. The same goes for Issey Miyake. But that doesn't stop me from wearing either one. You might get bored of those scents after a while, but all you need is to take a break from them every once in a while before wearing them again.

Despite all the over-exposure, hysteria, pomp and circumstance, hype and other me-too associations tagged to AdG, I still enjoy it occasionally. Same with Le Male. Could care less about the underlying popularity frankly. Not a problem for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Two out of the three times I went sniffing, there was a guy asking the SA where the AdG was. Everyone knows about it and while it is good, it is too common for me to ever buy a bottle. I just can't bring myself to it. I enjoy smelling it on people though...

It does not smell bad but due it been VERY popular I cannot wear it, but I have my Millesime Imperial which is far superior.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

I wore one of it's clones today (Halston Unbound) and received several positive comments............

i received a 50ml bottle as a gift, i use it every once in awhile but when it's gone i won't be buyin another bottle

I have to chime in and say that it's BORING and that no matter how good a thing might be , when you smell it all the time on everyone it loses all its mystique and charm.
    I wish men were more creative with their scent and not just settle for something that would bring them the same-old same-old compliments ( because , come on , really , isn't it because of that that everyone is using this? )

It's just rank and cloying. Absolutely vile stuff.

I have to say i have found that AdG smells nice, but i have to agree also that it's boring and common...not bottle worthy...yet! :P

Funny. I wore AdG for the first time ever yesterday evening and got two compliments of the "Wow, what are you wearing" kind It's pleasent, but that's all for me.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that bothers me about ADG is the way people mispronounce it, especially the SA's. They all pronounce the Gio as two syllables like "Jee-Oh". From my understanding, it's supposed to flow smoothly as one syllable like "Joe" but with a soft "J".

I wonder if these people think Jean-Claude Van Damme was named after denim pants.

:

I can't believe the fragrance snobbery we have at times on here..........if something smells good I will wear it, if it doesn't smell good I won't wear it......I don't care how popular or common the scent may be........most people don't read Basenotes every day to find the latest offering by SLutens, MPG, L'Artisan, yada yada yada.......they just want to smell nice and pleasant.......if that comes across as boring then maybe that means they have other things to do...............

I'm a social recluse, hiding in my castle. I don't suffer from the overpopularity of AdG. I rather like it, but have Unbound which I think is a touch better. I'd like to get a mini of AdG when I get the $ (unemployed right now so trading/buying frags is a bit of a luxury right now.)
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

I know I've said this a million times....and it's not gonna change. I do NOT dislike it. I am NOT repulsed by it. I do NOT find it vile. I DO think it's just fine as it is. I DO think it's just a simple, pleasant, "nice enough" scent. That's all.

The reason I do not own it is simply a matter of my wanting to acquire other scents that I find much more appealing/unique/cool. If I were presented this as a gift, I'd probably wear it once in a while....but ceratinly not to work!! We already have 3 AdG wearers there.

I guess I'd sum it up like this: In the dessert world, I'm perfectly fine with some good vanilla ice cream. How-ever.....if I can have Key Lime Pie or Bananas Foster instead of good 'ol vanilla ice cream, I take the opportunity.

;D ;D ;D

Post Thanks / Like

nice noticed TEFLONDOG.....the same here in Belgium...the sellers (mostly women) always ponounce it as Acqua di Jeeoh ...like you said..in Italian, we do not pronounce the i when there s a g o c posted before it...
    same with Moschino...it has to be sk instead of sj...

But they all know that Jean Claude Van Damme is a Belgian ;-)

thanks for the replys guys !

Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought ADG has a very "cologney" mens cologne smell. It doesnt smell like anything in particular to me. Just strong (and dull) mens cologne. You know how with some womens scents they just smell like nothing but strong perfume????? Thats what i think of ADG just reversed for men.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3
    I've always thought ADG has a very "cologney" mens cologne smell. *It doesnt smell like anything in particular to me. *Just strong (and dull) mens cologne. *You know how with some womens scents they just smell like nothing but strong perfume????? * Thats what i think of ADG just reversed for men. *
    I agree. Btw man, have you received your Iquitos? You should tell us how you feel about it...

Erofola and Millesime Imperial came out before AdG, so did Armani get the idea from the Creeds?
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5

Ah, Acqua di Gio; eternal subject.

Women love it, connoisseurs hate it...that`s just how it goes... :

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Women love it, connoisseurs hate it...that`s just how it goes... :
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Just about every single male on my college campus (Penn State) wears this stuff, and I just don't get it. It's mediocre at best, and that synthetic "fresh" note makes me sick. The drydown is nothing to write home about. On the upside, when I wear my Millesime Imperial, it attracts a lot of attention from the ladies, mostly because they love "fresh" notes, and the fact that MI is orders of magnitude more refined than AdG. Frankly, if AdG disappeared off the face of the earth, I wouldn't miss it one bit. Again, it's not *bad*, it's just that it's not very *good*.

Can't help the standards of the mass populace, but what is one to do? Just be happy that you have a different sense of smell.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I have never tried Acqua di Gio. *I think I will go to the mall this weekend and at least sample it. *I want to know what all the brouhaha is about.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with cookesoul on this. If I like it, I wear it. If I don't, I don't wear it. It's that simple. If I don't like Boucheron for example, I do not wear it. If I do like Ungaro III, I will wear it whenever I can.
    Here in Oz things are simplier a lot. There are only 20 Mil people living here. You hardly recognise a good frag on the train or in the office. Most of it are Faberge or Old Spice!
    Cheers,
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Here in Oz things are simplier a lot. There are only 20 Mil people living here.
    Hey, Alex, where is or what is Oz? *Is Oz an abbreviation for Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    I can't believe the fragrance snobbery we have at times on here..........most people don't read Basenotes every day to find the latest offering by SLutens, MPG, L'Artisan, yada yada yada.......they just want to smell nice and pleasant.......if that comes across as boring then maybe that means they have other things to do...............

And we don't !! Good for us!! :P

[quote author=Rockford link=1140686394/15#25 date=1140850824
    Hey, Alex, where is or what is Oz? *Is Oz an abbreviation for Australia?
    [/quote]

Yep.......as in "Oz'tralia"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    You know, I have never tried Acqua di Gio. I think I will go to the mall this weekend and at least sample it. I want to know what all the brouhaha is about.

I was thinking the same thing. I smell it all over the place here, but have yet to try it out myself

You know, i bet if it wasn't so popular and it was in a L'artisan bottle it would be the most beloved fragrance on this board....

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMaivia
    You know, i bet if it wasn't so popular and it was in a L'artisan bottle it would be the most beloved fragrance on this board....
    No not really like me most people find it boring, thats why most prefer Creeds Millesime Imperial.

Top 5

Many of the fragrance companies are still producing their Gio clones...So this frag still has and will continue to ge alot of attention.
    I have many fragrances and have Niche....Hard to find and on and on....This is by far one of the best everyday scents along with Polo Blue for Men....IMHO.
    If you tire of a scent...take a rest...go back and you will have new respect for the scent. Have done this many times and this always works.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

OK Gary, but....
    As I do that frequently ( I use mostly every day another), It happens that I get the feeling : djeezess...why did I used this one again...then have to wash it off or live the day with it...that I have also with Acqua di Gio...nomather how I liked it in the beginning....
    And tried yesterday Polo Blue...no lasting power on me, and not so unique :-[
    Renz