Code of Conduct

Default do you tell what you're wearing

Do you tell what you're wearing? Sometimes,depends who's asking or different situations or do you all just say thank you and smile It depends with me depends on who ask but mostly I don't tell because they dont. I would just smile and say thank you. But I share with my basenotes community. What about you all

Default Re: do you tell what you're wearing

If I just get a compliment I'll just say thanks but if I'm asked what I'm wearing I see no reason not to tell.

sometimes i tell the truth some others not 8-)

I usually say "I think it's Old Spice." I like to watch their faces.

^hahaha

I never tell another guy what im wearing. Usually just say its ck

Girls, I tel em' its Dolce and Gabbana or Armani and then watch them drool over the name

Just this weekend my housemate (female) who usually never comments on my fragrances said, "mmmm... what smells so good." I said it must be my cologne so she comes back sarcastically with "Well obviously, but what IS it?" So I tell her its called Tam Dao and she just kinda looks at me and says "Huh." This has happened to me with every single complinment I've ever gotten. They never ask when its something simple like Burberry. Another time I was asked what I was wearing it was Geir, which I didn't even know how to pronounce at the time. The only response I could sqeeze out was "oh, its a Norwegian fragrance." I'm really thinking of going with the same BS answer everytime like. Perhaps I'll pick Brut. I must say though - when I'm wearing my GIT and someone says "ooooo, what is that amazing cologne!" I'm going to have a tough time answering Brut.

By far, the most oft-complemented cologne for me is my Creed Acier Aluminum. The ladies seem to love it and ask me all the time what it is. I can't lie and say it's some popular "in" brand that everyone wears here at Penn State, so I tell them what it is. Of course, nobody has a clue who they are and they start asking questions, and when I finally reveal that it retails for nearly $200 a bottle (because the girls like it so much that they want some for themselves, as it could easily be a unisex fragrance), they usually either think I'm crazy, rich, or both. The truth is, I'm neither, but at least I do get to make some ice-breaker conversation with the ladies, which is, as you know, the hardest part about meeting people.

The funny thing is that I always feel weird revealing what my cologne of the day is, sort of like I'm giving away some kind of secret. I notice it too when I'm complementing someone on their own fragrance. Most of the time I know what it is just by smelling it, but they always seem to not quite want to give it away. Perhaps we like the mystery? I don't know...

I usually just tell someone the House name if they ask but if it's a close friend i'll tell all since i kno that they won't go for the same fragrance and vice versa

I always tell what I'm wearing. If I bought it, why lie or cover it up? At least, that's my thought process most of time.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni
    I usually just tell someone the House name if they ask
    Thats what I do. Its so much easier to say Creed rather than Green Irish Tweed...Creed sounds cooler too ;D

Sometimes I have lied tho. I can recall 3 or 4 occasions where Ive been asked and im wearing Lolita Lempicka and I just cant bring myself to say what it is. Not because I dont want them to buy it but it just sounds........weird :-?

Basenotes Plus

I always tell. I see no reason to do otherwise.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman
    The funny thing is that I always feel weird revealing what my cologne of the day is, sort of like I'm giving away some kind of secret. I notice it too when I'm complementing someone on their own fragrance.
    Agree 100%. I'll tell if it's a close friend who I wanna help out ( on his game, hehe). For girls I use it to start convo's also. But for the masses, I don't want them smelling as good as me. :P

No normal person would under stand my french talk if I said I am wearing L'Eau de L'Artisan. People only know AdG, Chrome, Tommy and Mania. To them it isn't as special as it is to me. If they ask what I am wearing I will deffinately answer but I wont blurt out my secret on a "you smell good" comment. Not to be cocky but I think that everyone one this board can say that they know they smell good already. It is still nice to be complemented though...

My rule is that if someone comments on "how nice I smell," I thank them kindly. If they ask "that smells nice. What is it?," then I'll tell them. I don't care. If they like it, they like it.

;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul
    [quote author=Stuffman link=1141037247/0#6 date=1141067158]
    The funny thing is that I always feel weird revealing what my cologne of the day is, sort of like I'm giving away some kind of secret. I notice it too when I'm complementing someone on their own fragrance.
    Agree 100%. I'll tell if it's a close friend who I wanna help out ( on his game, hehe). For girls I use it to start convo's also. But for the masses, I don't want them smelling as good as me. :P[/quote]

Im not sure how old you are, but for anyone around my age, its sooo much easier talking about Armani or D&G to someone who recognizes the name with superstars.

I’ve tried using the "its creed" line, but the one girl was like "oh". Maybe it was just that one, i don’t know
    Whenever I say that my Stentson or Drakkar is D&G, girls are all of a sudden like "oooohh wow! that must have cost a lot! where did you get it?" then they go off and talk about the pair of D&G glasses they want or whatever.

My point is, I find most girls more interested in superstar, brand names then just some expensive EdP.

But all in all, the frag. has to smell good to the girl in order for this convo to even start.

I do. It'll never smell on them as good as it does on me.
    Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Overcome By Fumes

I usually tell. Sometimes I give the house name if it's complicated, or if I think they are just being polite. If it happens to be some seriously feminine name, like Miss Balmain or Jolie Madame, I might fudge it a bit, honestly. I also cringe a little when it's something offbeat like Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. It's odd that one would find L'Eau de L'Artisan too complex for "normal people" when Acqua di Gio is essentially the same level of complexity also in a foreign language--I guess it's just what people are used to. The last two times I was asked I was wearing Dzing! once (which is a delight to tell people), and the other was Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain which I'm sure the nurse appreciated me writing down and telling her that she would never find it in any stores within 100's of miles of here.

I always tell. And I really enjoy seeing my co-workers as they are pretending they know exactly which scent I am talking about. They'll be like "oh, THAT one..."

Plus, isn't part of the joy to show off? Just a little bit?
    Arte et labore

I really like trying to share my intrests with people around me. I sometimes tell people what I'm wearing and why it is so f***ing brilliant, even if they don't ask. But of course, if I was only after the ultimate chick-magnet (and thought I had found it), then I'd probably try to keep it a secret.
    I think we have something positive to pass on to people around us! We shouldn't keep it just to our selves.

I'll usually tell unless I really want to keep it to myself. In that case, I'll just say it's from France and I can't pronounce it ... [smiley=evil.gif]

Ive had compliments, but no requests for the name. but Ive got an answer all lined up for special occasions...

Souffle de Rongeur by Chat Affamé

haha

For dudes: I tell him if I think he's a good guy, but if he's a knob no way. Usually with someone cool I'll initiate conversation and mention a few others of a similar style.

For girls: Pretty much always tell. Good springboard into conversation.