Code of Conduct

Default To brighten the start of the day...

Yes, I know I like to make odd requests.

I want a fragrance to use when finishing my morning toilet, just as a way to freshen and brighten that moment. Kind of to cleanse the mental palate after dragging myself out of bed and doing the routine of shaving, washing, brushing, etc.

I have sometimes used fragrances like Arabie or Romeo Gigli as end-of-the-day relaxants. Put some on when you get home, and the fragrance just soothes away the stresses. I want this to be kind of the opposite, a wake up and cheer up scent to start the day.

It doesn't have to last forever. Even just an hour would be fine, though it would also be fine if it lasted for the greater part of the working day. A natural cleansing freshness is just much more important than longevity. I realize this probably leads more into the traditional men's cologne category -- *frags omitting those heavy and enduring basenotes, though please don't limit your suggestions to these if you think of something else that might be suitable.

*I can't stand artificial/synthetic "Fresh" scents or Aquas - they make me nauseous. This last week of frag testing has been a queasy one. *:P
    *Nothing soapy. Amusingly, the lingering smell of soap makes me want to keep washing until it goes away.
    *Citrus: I don't like orangey (I don't care for Happy), preferring lemon/lime.
    *I haven't been able to make friends with vetiver

Default Re: To brighten the start of the day...

I recommend Guerlain Eau du Coq. *Created by Jacques Guerlain in 1894. *The Guerlain website describes it as "the perfect expression of the soft yet tangy freshness of a spring morning". *Notes of lavender, lemon, rosemary, bergamot, and orange. *It is wonderful, but it also does not last long.

Geo F Trumper makes a couple of incredibily fresh, bracing, invigorating colognes that you may wish to consider trying, in particular their West Indian Limes and Eau de Portugal. Both are citrus based. Neither has any true lasting power (the Limes is especially short-lived); they are really more like traditional eau de colognes in strength, rather than EDTs. But for an invigorating, pick-me-up, head-clearing effect in the morning, you can't beat them. And they both smell wonderful - nothing synthetic-smelling about them at all.

Even though they're very evanescent, I have bottles of both of these at home. And I do wear them, especially on very hot, humid days, when virtually any other cologne is just too much.

Czech & Speake ~ Neroli
    Parfums de Nicolai ~ Cologne Sologne
    Hermes ~ Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Mat; Male
    Hierbas de Ibiza
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Lacoste Booster was designed for what you intend to do, I believe. Not a real heavy scent, pretty minty, actually, but surprisingly it lasts a long time for a minty frag.

Agua Lavanda - its not a soapy type of lavender, unlike some of the others, but that is just IMHO. Others might think it smells like detergent... lavender is tricky that way.

Both 4711 and Puig-Agua Lavanda don't last that long, and neither will cost you much either. I keep both in my bathroom for the purpose you mentioned.

You might do well with Brut. Possibly the cheap aftershave... I've used that for what you intend to do. I'm probably the only nut on the board who uses Agua Brava as a perk me up frag though it is pretty heavy. Not much duration though.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Where does one get 4711 offline? It seems like the sort of thing that should be widely available at the price, but I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere. Likewise, not likely to be at Neiman's becuase of the low price.

Verbena verbena verbena.

L'Occitane's maybe, Caswell-Massey's maybe, but especially Molinard's, called Verveine. Really great stuff for the beginning of the day. All are cheap, and all last a half-hour to an hour.

The Molinard is the best, I think. Comes in a 250ml splash bottle for somewhere around $20 online and brings a fantastic herbal/lemon without being too citrusy. Rotten that it doesn't last longer. (L'Occitane's and Caswell-Massey's have the same longevity problem.)
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I agree with verve - Trumper: West Indian Extract of Limes

This will give you a fresh burst and will not hang around for very long.
    I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

l"Occitane used to make something called Hysope--very bright and fresh, kind of green, not citrusy. Don't know if you can still get it hough, haven't seen it in a while.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Borsari's Acqua Classica and Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien are excellent lemon scents for this purpose.

Another one that came to mind is Malle's Angeliques sous la pluie, very natural smell of juniper berry, angelica and pepper, very unique and invigorating. Doesn't last long and is obviously not for everyone, but worth a try!

West Indian Extract of Limes lasts for two minutes on my skin. It's really just a concentrated lemon juice, not a proper fragrance, but if that's what you want, it might be for you.

You would love AG Hadrien. Buy the absolu...it lasts longer.

I'd say L'Eau par Kenzo!!!
    Also Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Blanc would be nice! *:
    Oh and Dior Higher, too!! 8-)

Agree with ajmc about Hermes - Un jardin sur le Nil: Lime/grapefruit/mango topnotes, a floral/woody body to die for plus a tiny bit of incense.
    L´eau de L´Artisan
    Guerlain - Herba Fresca (That is if you can handle the mint in it).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    Borsari's Acqua Classica and Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien are excellent lemon scents for this purpose.

Another one that came to mind is Malle's Angeliques sous la pluie, very natural smell of juniper berry, angelica and pepper, very unique and invigorating. Doesn't last long and is obviously not for everyone, but worth a try! *

West Indian Extract of Limes lasts for two minutes on my skin. It's really just a concentrated lemon juice, not a proper fragrance, but if that's what you want, it might be for you.
    I second Borsari`s Acqua Classica.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos3
    Where does one get 4711 offline? It seems like the sort of thing that should be widely available at the price, but I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere. Likewise, not likely to be at Neiman's becuase of the low price.
    I've seen it at Sears; if fact I got it there a couple years ago.

I'll third Borsari Parma - Acqua Classica (but wear a lot of it and you'll get to the oakmoss base)
    I'll also concur with any verbena frag - YSL PH or Monsieur de Givenchy would work as well as any straight verbena.
    Eau de Rochas Homme might do the trick as well.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

I just love Trumper's GFT and am trying to get my hands on some.
    Just a wonderful fresh, clean and masculine lemon fragrance.
    It lasts longer than most citrus scents too.

Eau de Rochas might be right for you. I use that a lot in Springtime/Summer, alternating with YSL Live Jazz.
    Then there is the pure lemon of Monsieur Balmain (lasting fairly well) and, a little more pricey: Acqua di Parma (the regular, not the assoluta which has things like rose added to the cologne). AdP does not last more than a few hours in the morning. I also like, but then not every morning: from Guerlins AA line, Pampelune, plain grapefruit, lasting well.

Here's my top advice but that goes beyond the light citrussy cologne: Signoricci. Class triple AAA, simply spring impersonated, till about Linden blossom time. I can hardly wait for that time to come and am actually way beyond springtime myself but just playing the old fool again...
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.